Inari 'Sushi' is my favorite.

Pic from the interwebs...
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7002053985_ba6d9c9c24_b.jpg
View Quote
Those are good, but not my favorite.

My favorite is either salmon or eel.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in L.A. Calif, you can go to J-Town and buy sushi-grade tuna etc, it usually cost 2-3x more than the untreated supermarket stuff. Per U.S. FDA any fish to be consumer must be frozen for a specific time & temp. The EU has a similiar rule.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Inari 'Sushi' is my favorite.

Pic from the interwebs...
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7002053985_ba6d9c9c24_b.jpg

Eel is my second favorite.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
yes, and i'm still not entirely sure how i got rice in my ear.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope but I have made Kimbop.

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#6]
My favorite ones are.. They are deep fried with rice on the exterior. The local places here call them crazy rolls. I can do some damage to a plate of those. The crunchy rolls are good too.

It's crazy how a date nights can turn into $80 in a hurry at the strip mall sushi spot.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Please don't do this. You may die. Or get worms.

You need to buy SUSHI grade fish. Period. It is specially frozen in an extreme deep freeze designed to kill all bacteria and parasites...not just a regular freeze job.

Other than that, it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Using rice vinegar (un-flavored / un-seasoned) on your fingers as you work with the sticky rice is pretty much the best tip I can give.
View Quote
I only patronize the gas stations that offer SUSHI grade fish. It's cheap enough and I don't get rice vinegar all over my jeans.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]
As others have said freezing is not enough.

What's required is this:

Sushi-grade- Freezing and storing seafood at-20°C (-4°F) or below for 7 days (total time), or  freezing at-35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and storing at -35°C (-31°F) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and storing at -20°C (-4°F) or below for 24 hours.

These regs are virtually the same in other locations but, read this, from NC:

http://www.wakegov.com/food/healthinspections/resources/Documents/NCSushiSashimiv3TrainingDocumentWake2012.pdf

From Manitoba:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/environmentalhealth/protection/docs/sushi.pdf

And there is no such thing as "sushi-grade,":

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/myth-sushi-grade/
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I just make Cali rolls.

I'll have to wait a while before I try again.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have and it tasted great, but it wasn't pretty.  I used sashimi grade fish from a market to minimize any risk.
View Quote
Yeah, it's fun to do but the pros do it better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]
A woman I was dating took me to a sushi making class a few years ago. After that class I decided sushi was one item I would rather pay someone else to make. There is practically no seafood worth buying or eating in my area anyway unless it comes out of my freezer. Don't think Gorton's fish sticks would make a good roll.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I make mine with Zatarain’s Seasoned Fish-Fri in 350 degree peanut oil.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I just called a local fish market, they said their sushi grade tuna isnt frozen
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I find that the making of the rolls is easy and fun....

It is the presentation that where the art comes in......

Red
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#15]
When using the bamboo mat I wrap it in plastic wrap and place it on top of a kitchen towel. The plastic wrap keeps the mat clean between rolls if things get messy. The towel will allow you to wrap and tighten while you roll. So start your initial roll and once you get a full wrap you can pull the front of the towel forward to add tension to the mat and the roll. Just be careful not to rill the towel too! The rice will adhere to the Nori and keep things together. Roll like a joint pressure in the middle working outward. I leave about 3/4 of an inch towards the end free of ingredients so that the Nori will seal like the glue of an envelope.

When cutting dip the blade in water and wipe clean to prevent the guts from sticking and pulling out when you pull the blade through.

I like to make my wasabi from powder, then take a bit and smear a line from side to side so each bite will get a taste. I use Mirin since it is a touch sweet and generally tastes better than vinegar  and sprinkle it liberally onto day old rice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes I do. I am a master at the rice, spousal is better at the rolling.  It's a team effort.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes I do. I am a master at the rice, spousal is better at the rolling.  It's a team effort.
View Quote
Thats what im kind of going it, planning on a team effort night
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#18]
you can freeze to kill worms...or embrace them.

fresh is best.

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sea bass is my favorite. It is a bit chewy when it's fress. Let it sit a day or 2
View Quote
Best fish in the ocean.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Young striped bass with soy sauce, rice optional.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://image.ibb.co/gikVsQ/IMG_1944.jpg
Young striped bass with soy sauce, rice optional.
View Quote
That's my problem. I ended up grossing myself out of making sushi for myself because I ended up skipping the rice and just slicing off tuna/salmon pieces.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's my problem. I ended up grossing myself out of making sushi for myself because I ended up skipping the rice and just slicing off tuna/salmon pieces.
View Quote
Yea, prob gonna sear some ahi while im at it haha
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yea, prob gonna sear some ahi while im at it haha
View Quote
Yeah. Tuna and duck breast I do pretty much the same way, 30s seconds on each side on a blazing hot cast iron pan. I still kind of gross myself out when I eat them but it's damn good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I gone down on a few girls.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#25]
How much bluefin should i buy for 2-3 rolls and 2 medium steaks?

eta:
@RenegadeBurrito
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
depends on how big you want your steaks. but you use very little fish in rolls. so maybe 1.5 lb?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Super easy to do, just time consuming until you get the assembly line production into the swing of things.

Keep a bowl of water to dip your hands into before you grab the rice and wet/wipe the knife between cuts. Oddly a bread knife used gently cut the rolls better than the chefs knife .

I use a silicone baking mat to roll them up with which allows you to use a full nori sheet at one time= faster production.

Only thing I didn't like is I tried using an avacado paste which seeped into the rice and lost that pop of flavor.  Better to use a moderately ripe avocado.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#28]
ughh, Saturday cant come quick enough
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As others have said freezing is not enough.

What's required is this:

Sushi-grade- Freezing and storing seafood at-20C (-4F) or below for 7 days (total time), or  freezing at-35C (-31F) or below until solid and storing at -35C (-31F) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -35C (-31F) or below until solid and storing at -20C (-4F) or below for 24 hours.

These regs are virtually the same in other locations but, read this, from NC:

http://www.wakegov.com/food/healthinspections/resources/Documents/NCSushiSashimiv3TrainingDocumentWake2012.pdf

From Manitoba:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/environmentalhealth/protection/docs/sushi.pdf

And there is no such thing as "sushi-grade,":

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/myth-sushi-grade/
View Quote
If your deep freeze can't get to -4, you need a better freezer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How much bluefin should i buy for 2-3 rolls and 2 medium steaks?

eta:
@RenegadeBurrito
View Quote
I don't think there's a formula.. But 2lbs should be good. Two half pound steaks and a pound of fish goes a long damn way in the rolls. Just have extra veggies or cream cheese if you run short on the rolls.

Buy the bricks of cream cheese vs the spread. Freeze it until your rice is done. It's a lot easier to manage and slice up when its cold.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]
@pbjunkiee next time I'm out your way, we can hang out one night and I'll give you some training
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Ok AAR...

Rice is a bitch.

To much tuna, no need for steaks

Accidentally got spicy jap mayo, ao kinda threw us for a loop, used american mayo because she doesnt like spicey

Overall 8/10 will do again in a few months

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Tried several times, but I really suck at it. It's one of the few food items I'm content to leave to professionals.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Favorite from tonight, have new found respect from sushi chefs

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#36]
We made some with imitation crab and got the mat to help roll it.  not sure if the mat is needed but it is super easy to make.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Favorite from tonight, have new found respect from sushi chefs
View Quote
Yeah, no kidding. If I bring my sushi over to a friend's house, I almost get a little pissy with how fast they slam through all of it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top