Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve driven dangerously close to the set of Rust. Fortunately before the film was shot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Several of the Smokey and the Bandit sites when I was in McDonough, GA a few years back including the soul food/gas station where the biker fight was filmed, the town square where Burt looks at the cam and smiles, the street Snowmans house WAS on (long since torn down) and a few other sites.

Some places around home...  Lebanon, OH has had a few movies filmed there.  Harper Valley PTA and Milk Money had several locations around town.  Theres a couple of new movies coming out that was filmed in Hamilton that I am familiar with including a local hot dog stand.  Motorcycle movie with Tom Hardy was filmed there.

There was another filmed a few years back in Hamilton, but I cant remember the name right off.  I believe Hardy may have been in that also about a couple of brothers bootlegging with a crazy law man after them.

Saw a bunch of places when I was out in California on business a few years ago also.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Abearir:
Several

Watched some of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot being filmed. As well as Telefon
View Quote

Now that you mention it, I attended the new elementary school in that movie in the fall of 1974.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the old Town in the film, "The Mexican".
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LeeFred:
The Goldfield Hotel in Goldfield, NV.  Super Soul (Clevon Little) broadcast his show from the bottom corner closest to the camera in the move, Vanishing Point.

https://i.imgur.com/C5peH5W.jpg
View Quote
A few days after we bought our Challenger R/T in 2017, we went through there early in the morning.  There were a couple guys on a road trip in a ratty, awesome road race style Mustang paying homage.  I rolled up, did a burnout, and we had a great quick talk about the film.  I had a custom license plate ring made for the car, and they couldn't believe it when I told them to look: Radio KOW, Goldfield Nev.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Several scenes from both 8 Mile and Gran Torino were filmed around my home. As was We Are Marshall.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Been to Wallace, ID, where Dante’s Peak was filmed, more times than I can remember.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes.  But living in Southern California, there are lots of them all around.  Also tv production locations all over, too.  I recall watching Jamie Lee Curtis walking down a street in one of the Halloween movies and realized, the street was one I lived on and her house was the one on the corner.  although I wasn't living there when filmed.  Some of Beverly Hills Cop was filmed in Pasadena - Caltech (and plenty of other places in SoCal but then it was supposed to be), and the same building appears often in tv and other productions.  The gardens at Huntington Library are stand-ins for Japan in many movies.  Some of the steep San Pedro hills are used for San Francisco.  Just a couple of examples.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in Los Angeles.  I could take you all on a multi-day tour of movie and television locations.  Countless, really.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Not a movie, but if you ever watched the TV series Psyche, their office is the old train station in White Rock, BC. Been through there about a zillion times, too. I have recognized quite a few locations throughout the greater Vancouver, BC area in that show.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:49:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JWinGa] [#11]
Originally Posted By dawg69:
I worked security for the special effects trailer during filming of The Crazies. Part of it was filmed locally, so I see the location often. It was interesting to see how they utilized local places and items for the movie.
View Quote

I’ve been to the outside the car wash scene from The Crazies many times and to where the swamp scene was. The Truck stop too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Columbus, OH: The old Central High School where the 1984 film "Teachers" was made.

Varneville, SC: "Greenbow, Alabama" in the film "Forrest Gump"

Norfolk, VA: "The Death of Ocean View Park" (1977). The amusement park was still standing in '79 although mostly torn down. There was a scene on the messdecks of a "navy destroyer" which in truth was the enlisted dining facility on board the USS L.Y. Spear (AS-36) on which I was stationed three years after the scene was filmed.

Death of Ocean View Park (1979) - USS L.Y SPEAR Movie Scene

NAS Miramar, San Diego, CA: On the 2nd half of my enlistment I was stationed at Miramar but "Top Gun" scenes were filmed after I was discharged. I'm sure that I was in many areas of San Diego used for filming.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:57:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#14]
Not particularly famous by modern day standards but a lot of the early silents were filmed locally using locations and residents as extras. If you've watched the surviving films you'd see local areas

The only modern film that was supposed to be set here wasn't actually filmed here
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I was just at the beach where Apocalypse Now was filmed.

APOCALYPSE NOW Clip - Ride of the Valkyries (1979) Francis Ford Coppola

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:00:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I live on Martha’s Vineyard.

Jaws.

I was away with my Uncle when it was being filmed, but a lot of friends and acquaintances were extras.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:07:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s] [#17]
I hunted the property where “The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada” was shot.  At the time it was shot, Tommy Lee Jones owned the ranch.  There were still some sets standing and the place the cast/crew ate and socialized. It was way back in the Davis Mountains.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#18]
The Tilac go go bar from The Hangover 2
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#19]
It's kind of a hobby of mine.  My favorite is where they filmed "High Plains Drifter".  I love the Eastern Sierras.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to live in the apartments that backed up against the convenience store that was robbed in "Raising Arizona". Almost went to jail that night over that one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I grew up in Oceanside, CA so yes. One place everyone here should know is the Graves House. It's Kelly McGillis house in Top Gun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#22]
We have been to most of the Louisiana Plantations along the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge and New Orleans and most of them have been the scene and backdrop for many famous movies:

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
Mandingo
The Beguiled
Long Hot Summer
Fletch Lives
Interview with a Vampire
Django Unchained
All the Kings Men

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:42:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I live in it, many, many great films were and are filmed in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:43:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 3BP:
Downtown Cleveland where they filmed some capatain america scenes.

The Christmas Story house.

And another place west of Cleveland where they filmed a Halloween type movie with some wildy popular (at the time) teenage actress whose name escapes me.

I wonder how many I have been to and didnt realize a movie was filmed there?
View Quote

This, I mean I have been to several places that I know a movie was filmed at such as Grand Central Station in NYC, Central Park, Burj Khalifa, various places in London, and others like this.  I am more like what locations did they film something I wasn't aware of and wouldn't have known unless I was told.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, been to the rio grande gorge bridge outside Taos NM where they filmed part of Terminator salvation.

Terminator Salvation - Bridge Scene

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By touchracing:

I've been there. It's Hickory Nut Falls inside Chimney Rock State Park in North Carolina. Also Dirty Dancing was filmed near by.
View Quote
I have been to both, Dirty Dancing was filmed at Lake Lure some kids burnt down the barn though, also been to a few others just by chance lot of the Scarface scenes in south beach, forest gump park where the bench was, bench is gone. Barn from days of thunder, of course CMS the track where a lot of it was filmed. Some Helen Hunt movie was filmed here in town, as well as some HBO show cant remember which one. They went door to door to let everyone know that all the gunfire they were going to hear the next morning was just for the show.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Columbus, OH: The old Central High School where the 1984 film "Teachers" was made.

Varneville, SC: "Greenbow, Alabama" in the film "Forrest Gump"

Norfolk, VA: "The Death of Ocean View Park" (1977). The amusement park was still standing in '79 although mostly torn down. There was a scene on the messdecks of a "navy destroyer" which in truth was the enlisted dining facility on board the USS L.Y. Spear (AS-36) on which I was stationed three years after the scene was filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWczc6hzOKI

NAS Miramar, San Diego, CA: On the 2nd half of my enlistment I was stationed at Miramar but "Top Gun" scenes were filmed after I was discharged. I'm sure that I was in many areas of San Diego used for filming.
View Quote
Used to go to Ocean View amusement park all the time as kid when dad was stationed in Norfolk, rode that rickety ass roller coaster a ton of times.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:03:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Pretty much anywhere in D.C., including
(but not limited to): The Exorcist stairs in Georgetown,
The Lincoln Memorial and Reflecting Pool, The National Mall,
The Smithsonian Museums.

Some parts of Pittsburgh, too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

Las Vegas New Mexico.
View Quote
Are you saying Las Vegas AND New Mexico, or Las Vegas IN New Mexico?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#31]
The high school in Eddie and the Cruisers was my high school.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I always thought it would be cool to visit the location where Magua had his last fight in Last of the Mohicans.

Any of you ever vist a non-studio scene location of one of your favorite movies?
View Quote
That is a cool place.  But they've wrecked it quite a bit by installing chain link fence up that trail.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sixnine] [#33]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I always thought it would be cool to visit the location where Magua had his last fight in Last of the Mohicans.

Any of you ever vist a non-studio scene location of one of your favorite movies?
View Quote

I live like 20 min from there. You should check it out
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Waxahachie has been in several films, so yes.

Places in the Heart was a biggie

That one with Matthew perry and Liz Hurley had a scene about two miles from my house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#36]
The movies were a bomb, but I've been to both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Many of the scenes from Thunderbolt and Lightfoot were filmed near my Grandparents home.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#39]
At least two right off the top of my head. I know a lot more probably.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BoiseG:
My mom lives about 15 minutes from Senoia, Georgia where they film the tv show, The Walking Dead and several other movies.
View Quote

Live close by & drive past every day the Dell Diamond in Round Rock, which was the baseball stadium the survivors converted & colonized in "Fear the Walking Dead" season in Texas.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Lots of shooting locations out in the Mojave Desert but the Trona Pinnacles are likely the best know landmark. At Trona you can camp right up where ever you want. We camped in the area where they shot most of the movies.

In the "Hollywood Hills", the desert film set, not the city of mansions, was the site of dozens of westerns going back to the silent era. Riding the jeep down the trails that John Wayne or Randolph Scott followed in an old movie is kind of fun.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Mount Rushmore, and the Empire State Building observation deck are the only ones that come to mind.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:17:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimesSU] [#43]
Filming locations for 'The Goonies'.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Many, but the best one was the Indian burial ground in Pet Sematary.  I'm a movie nut, and have visited many locations though. The town and camp where the original Friday the 13th was filmed was also amazing. (They do tours: Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco.)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I've been to old Tucson several times.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I was traveling for work and went to the mall where Dawn of the dead was filmed
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I got to see where they blew up the bridge in True Lies this week while deep sea fishing in the Florida Keys. One of my favorite movies as a kid.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Yup, every film scene location in Red Dawn.  
View Quote

Las Vegas, NM.

Got weathered in there once on a cross country. We got the tour.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Theres is a facebook page devoted to this very thing.
Covers old movies from the 1920’s on up.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top