Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Fallout Amazon series (Page 1 of 35)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 4/9/2024 12:52:06 PM EDT
Looks like all the other threads went to archive. Season drops tomorrow at 6pm PST. I'm sure it'll have some shit that annoys me, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
super pumped about this one, I hope they don't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck Todd Howard, bastard ruined my gaming life.

Fuck what fallout has become. Ruined my favorite childhood franchise.

Fuck Amazon also and fuck arf for using them. Actually just fuck everybody.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm hopeful,  but expecting the worst.    

Hollywood could fuck up a wet dream.

Still hoping against hope for it to turn out good; like Charlie Brown with the football.

All time favorite series of games.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It's going to be a big woke clusterfuck. How could you possibly think it wouldn't be?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Its $150mm budget really shows in the previews.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wc22312:

View Quote

A man you will never meet and whom is responsible for just a few video games in the world...ruined your entire gaming life? That's a bit dramatic.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Jonathan Nolan being involved gives hope.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have higher hopes than most here, it appears.  Amazon has a good track record of shows...The Boys is awesome, definitely NOT woke.  Walton Goggins is great in whatever he's in.  The CGI and practical effects look great on screen.  I would be a little worried if they were trying to bring the same story lines from the Fallout games to the TV screen, but it's a new vault and a new location, Los Angeles.  

It can't be worse than Fallout 76.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

OK, calm down...maybe if you ask nicely your mom will bake brownies for you and bring them down to the basement.  Maybe focus on real life more, and less on video games made by a company you've never worked for, run by a man you'll never meet.

Step away from the computer for a bit...go outside and enjoy actual real life.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#13]
looking forward to it,  really like to see a TV show on horizon zero dawn that stayed true to the game
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Whoa.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Blackfriar:
I'm hopeful,  but expecting the worst.    

Hollywood could fuck up a wet dream.

Still hoping against hope for it to turn out good; like Charlie Brown with the football.

All time favorite series of games.
View Quote

This- expecting it to be bad, hopefully not terrible.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#16]
This is from the Amazon page for the show:
The Great War
Global thermonuclear war both began and ended in the span of about two hours on Saturday, October 23, 2077. It’s unclear who fired first, but it was the culmination of the decade-long Sino-American War between the United States and China. Billions died, world governments and economies collapsed into non-existence, and the climate was ravaged leading to permanent changes to the global ecosystem.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Video game to TV series adaptions has been on a losing streak lately. I am really hoping this one is good.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Death blossom post. lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:28:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#20]
Please don’t suck.

Trying to keep Dogmeat alive to the end of F2 is the noblest video game endeavor ever.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Will give it a try but if they get woke-preachy, I'm turning it off immediately and downvoting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm cautiously optimistic from what has been released so far. They appear to have gotten the mix of humor and brutality right.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearsmithy] [#23]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

It can be a crapshoot these days.

Netflix's Cowboy Beebop was terrible, but Netflix's One Piece was awesome - with nothing "woke" in it ... and made by the same production company.  

If the wrong people were in charge of the Fallout series writing and production, it will be garbage.  If the right people were in charge, it could be really good.
View Quote

I saw an article somewhere where the showmakers said they would be leaning into 'political narratives' or other such shit. Sorry but it sounds like it's going to be worse than the last of us.

ETA: Found it - "Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ TV Creators Confirm Show Will Feature Heavy Social Commentary"
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#24]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Boyd Crowder done went and lost his nose. I'm all kinda giddy with anticipation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
View Quote

That’s pretty much the lore. FO2 and 4 say China launched first, but that knowledge is not widespread and only few people know.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I am guardedly optimistic.

Like everyone else, I am worried about woke bullshit, but I think it absolutely COULD be really good.  Fingers crossed.
View Quote

Yeo. I’m so invested in fallout I have a little anxiety about it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#28]
The visuals look spot on, all they have to do is not stick their dick in their nose with the story.

Fallout is kind of a precarious thing when you think about it... some aspects of it are definitely left leaning, but it has a layer of satire over it all. For me that will be the true meter stick, how it handles the humor. Does it just become another shallow Joss Wedon-y snarkfest or will it actually embrace the dark humor and cynical charm the games have?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

I saw an article somewhere where the showmakers said they would be leaning into 'political narratives' or other such shit. Sorry but it sounds like it's going to be worse than the last of us.

ETA: Found it - "Prime Video’s ‘Fallout’ TV Creators Confirm Show Will Feature Heavy Social Commentary"
View Quote

Good chance that wont show up until episode 6 or 7.
If they're able to restrain themselves they might hold out until season two.
But yes...they must destroy all of your preconceived notions of patriarchal male heros and sexual norms.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Female protagonist, so arfcom won’t like it as they “can’t see themselves” in the character.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The Great War
Global thermonuclear war both began and ended in the span of about two hours on Saturday, October 23, 2077. It's unclear who fired first, but it was the culmination of the decade-long Sino-American War between the United States and China. Billions died, world governments and economies collapsed into non-existence, and the climate was ravaged leading to permanent changes to the global ecosystem.

So they actually did their homework for the blurb?   Pity that that diligence doesnt show in the trailers

I'll probably check it out, but im not hopeful
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
I have higher hopes than most here, it appears.  Amazon has a good track record of shows...The Boys is awesome, definitely NOT woke.  Walton Goggins is great in whatever he's in.  The CGI and practical effects look great on screen.  I would be a little worried if they were trying to bring the same story lines from the Fallout games to the TV screen, but it's a new vault and a new location, Los Angeles.  

It can't be worse than Fallout 76.
View Quote

The Boys is woke as all hell….
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I can’t wait for Rings of Power post apocalyptic edition.  They are pretty safely going to fuck this up.  It’s what they do.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m hopeful. Neat thing about fallout is, as demonstrated by the games, you can tell so many unique stories without completely trampling the lore. This ideally gives (competent) writers plenty of room to tell a compelling story without ruining what’s already been established.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I am full of hope for it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Everything after FO2 is heresy and garbage.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Yeah, I do wonder how many people are going to claim that the choice of a female protagonist automatically makes it "woke"  

I am guessing the people who will complain about that are not people who actually played Fallout games a lot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fike:
Female protagonist, so arfcom won’t like it as they “can’t see themselves” in the character.

Yeah, I do wonder how many people are going to claim that the choice of a female protagonist automatically makes it "woke"  

I am guessing the people who will complain about that are not people who actually played Fallout games a lot.

I love talking to people like that in person. I generally slowly bring the conversation around to Alien/Aliens.

Only once I can recall did one of them have a lightbulb moment when they realized they went from hating on strong female leads to praising a strong female lead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m optimistic. So far I’ve yet to hear a bad critic review, but I’m still cautious.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

It can be a crapshoot these days.

Netflix's Cowboy Beebop was terrible, but Netflix's One Piece was awesome - with nothing "woke" in it ... and made by the same production company.  

If the wrong people were in charge of the Fallout series writing and production, it will be garbage.  If the right people were in charge, it could be really good.

Gee, is anyone actually surprised that the producers/writers couldn't resist the chance to fuck up yet another series with woke identity politics, probably complete with rainbow people galore?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I started Fallout 4 with a female character just so I would not have to look at a man's ass during the game.  Two weeks later I found out my cousins daughter was the model for Fallout 4.  Was staring at my cousins daughters ass creepy?  

I loved that game so I tried playing the earlier versions.  They sucked.  I'm sure the stories were great but the interface made them unplayable.  Fallout 76 was kind of weak at launch but they kept expanding the game and now it's not too bad...

Looking forward to watching the show.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

I love talking to people like that in person. I generally slowly bring the conversation around to Alien/Aliens.

Only once I can recall did one of them have a lightbulb moment when they realized they went from hating on strong female leads to praising a strong female lead.
View All Quotes

It doesn’t matter male/female protagonist as long as the character is well written.  That is the fly in the ointment.  Most of these writers are lazy and have horrible writing skills.  Add to that gender/race swapped characters in established lore IPs and you get a terrible show. Predictable failure is predictable.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:

It doesn’t matter male/female protagonist as long as the character is well written.  That is the fly in the ointment.  Most of these writers are lazy and have horrible writing skills.  Add to that gender/race swapped characters in established lore IPs and you get a terrible show. Predictable failure is predictable.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:

Fallout - since the beginning - has had both male and female player characters available. I don't see it as a gender swap.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Is this based on a true story?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I don’t have issues with a female protagonist. Lots of great IPs have nuanced females characters and are better for it. Personally, my trepidation is due to Amazon and some of the adaptations they’ve done previously. And yes, I’ve played FO.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong and it’s a fantastic show.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Fallout - since the beginning - has had both male and female player characters available. I don't see it as a gender swap.
View Quote

Given that Fallout lets you play as a male or female protagonist. Yeah, it doesn't bother me at all.

What will be important is she has to go through a heroes journey. Like, not have her as some Mary Sue. lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

It's always struck me as odd how many males play as female characters in video games.  Nothing like just playing your game and some chick comes up and a dude starts speaking over the in game comm.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

My man!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Wait till you see how episodes 4 thru 71 all revolve around radiant quests for Preston.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Having not played one second of any of the Fallout games but understanding the storyline, I'm looking forward to it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Fallout Amazon series (Page 1 of 35)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top