BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/15/2024 11:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer]
Which do you think is the better overall game?

Attachment Attached File

VS

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
New Vegas by miles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
New Vegas
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Vegas, but not by much.   Both are heaps better than the others though, especially 76
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#4]

I don't care for New Vegas very much
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Vegas for me and I really enjoyed 4. Might be unpopular, but I wish Vegas had the gunplay and shooting mechanics of 4.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Vegas has a better story by miles but 4 has more freedom and more fun gameplay. I choose 4.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I really enjoyed 4.

I really liked the settlement construction and power armor collecting though.

3 will always be the best IMO.

I'm not shitting on NV though... it's an excellent game.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
New Vegas.

4 is graphically superior and has a few quality of life improvements, but it has an equal number of things that bothered me. And if I hear another settlement needs my help one... more... time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
New Vegas.

4 is graphically superior and has a few quality of life improvements, but it has an equal number of things that bothered me. And if I hear another settlement needs my help one... more... time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Both are really good, the story and game play for NV was far better than 4, and the DLC’s were fun.

4 took it to another level with base building and armor.

Both are good games that stand apart from each other on pros and cons.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#11]
New Vegas but I've got a confession:

I tried FO4 many times since its release and could never get into it. NV was the last FO in my eyes and nothing would change my mind.

Finally last year I tried it again with my mind open, put the time in to learn all the mechanics and I've really come enjoy the world of FO4 and the new stuff it brings.

The combat is definitely better than all the others and the scaving has more meaning than it ever did.

If you play in survival mode the settlement building actually makes perfect sense and ties it all together.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
NV, not even close....  however, it feels very dated and clunky when I tried to replay it last year
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Tough one.  I think the story from NV is better, but the game play and other aspects make me enjoy FO4 more.  I have almost 2600 hours in FO4 and I'm currently on new-ish playthrough with Sim Settlements 2, We are the Minutemen, and America Rising 2 among the more major mods I'm running.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redseven11b] [#14]
I love both, but I'm choosing 4

The mods are better, power armor component is awesome, settlements and their customization, and the graphics are obviously better

NV is amazing though

ETA New Vegas has the WORST dlc I've ever seen in Sierra Madre. It would be great if it wasn't completely destroyed with glitches
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#16]
New Vegas by miles.

While F4 has unquestionably superior mechanicals when it comes to the creation engine being perfected its story just fall short by a wide margin.

It would be really neat to see New Vegas updated to F4 standard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally, it’s hard for me to decide.

New Vegas

Better story, better characters, better dialogue, many grey decisions (4 was mostly black/white).

Fallout 4

Better graphics, better gameplay, better weapons, weapon mods.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
Vegas, but not by much.   Both are heaps better than the others though, especially 76
View Quote

Better than the others?

Fallout 2 is best Fallout.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Spade:

Better than the others?

Fallout 2 is best Fallout.
View Quote

I think 3 the goat.

So memorable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]
If it’s pure vanilla game, NV is the better narrative. However, with mods, FO4 can be turned into literally any game or type of game you can think of. NV has a buncha mods too, but the basic template that FO4 delivered to players offers way more freedom for modders to have a field day with. These days, I tend to think of FO4 almost more as an engine before a game.

Similarly, I suspect the vast amount of empty worlds that Starfield launched with are essentially going to be sandboxes for the Bethesda modding communities once Creation Kit is released.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]
New Vegas. But 4 was good, although settlements were pointless and boring. I enjoyed the gunplay.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Both are good but vanilla NV has a better plot line.  Nexus Mods will make both game great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Personally, it’s hard for me to decide.

New Vegas

Better story, better characters, better dialogue, many grey decisions (4 was mostly black/white).

Fallout 4

Better graphics, better gameplay, better weapons, weapon mods.
View Quote

Yeah that fits it to a tee.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Fallout 4 completely ruined power armor.

What a dumb concept, and I only ever used it for the stupid tutorial mission.

Fallout 4’s setting is much more interesting at least.

New Vegas lacked the city elements that FO3/4 had.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Shazbat:

View Quote

Power armor is one of the things FO4 did best.  Made it from an armor you can equip from your inventory to an actual power armor.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Liberty Prime is the greatest part of Fallout - can we all agree on this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#28]
My complaint about the power armor in 4 was that it needed depleting fuel to run and it did not require your character to actually have any training in how to use it.

Historically power armor was locked behind training and availability as it was a major force multiplier. Removing the training and creating basically a gameplay timer by using fuel cells was kind of goofy as you end up finding so many fuel cells it negates the restriction anyway.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Sadly FO4 was rushed out and incomplete. I feel like the add ones weren't that great either. However FO4 is getting some new content soon. I think they are doing that because of the Fallout series on Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By deadmau5er:
Liberty Prime is the greatest part of Fallout - can we all agree on this?
View Quote

Death is a preferable alternative to Communism!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I like both Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 more than New Vegas.  I didn't dislike New Vegas, it had some great gameplay, but the path thru the game was far more linear than the others, you're going to follow the road and not stray far from it.  Both 3 and 4 were more open and random as to where you could roam.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

How exactly did Fallout 4 “completely ruin power armor”?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:38:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: turbosc20] [#33]
4 just for the weapon mods. Clearing out Jamaica Plain with the MG42 is just fun.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#34]
My complaint about the power armor in 4 was that it needed depleting fuel to run and it did not require your character to actually have any training in how to use it.

Historically power armor was locked behind training and availability as it was a major force multiplier. Removing the training and creating basically a gameplay timer by using fuel cells was kind of goofy as you end up finding so many fuel cells it negates the restriction anyway.
View Quote

But if you're playing on Survival, you can only carry so many with you.

I always en up with a shit ton of cores, and power armors, I trend to pickpocket the fusion cores and steal the power armor of every Brotherhood I come across.  

Also, with mods that increase the number of NPCs, "Power Armor to the People", and X02 Power Armor installed, there's like a dozen Gunners wearing power armor at Hub City Auto Wreckers.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#35]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm guessing he's talking about from the lore perspective and the training that was required in the older games versus, suddenly not, in 4.

That said, I loved building power armor garages.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#36]
4.......on a console
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Fallout 4 was my first Fallout game.  I played through 3 times.  I tried Fallout New Vegas because I wanted to try a different story.  I WANTED to like it but after playing FO4 it sucked badly because of the clumsy, clunky interface.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#38]
I really enjoyed both, but they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

If I had to choose one, I think New Vegas wins.

New Vegas has better writing, factions, and characters, except for Caesar’s Legion, which was stupid.

F4 I enjoyed settlement building and the weapon mod system.  Some characters annd storylines are very good, some not so great.  The dialogue choices are dumbed down.  The main quest kinda sucks toward the end.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Brutus_15:
Vegas for me and I really enjoyed 4. Might be unpopular, but I wish Vegas had the gunplay and shooting mechanics of 4.
View Quote

I didn't even realize that 4 had the better gunplay... I went full melee and never used guns on my play through... nothing quite like 2 hitting a deathclaw while in power armor with a rocket hammer
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Death is a preferable alternative to Communism!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I have never played them, but I did just buy all of them on steam for a great discount. Friends of mine played all the way back to fallout 3. I'll probably start some soon. I still have assassins creed and cyberpunk to play though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Your (male) player character was a veteran of the Alaskan campaign, in the pre-great war military. If anyone had any sort of power armor training… Its probably him.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#44]
That's like comparing a Ferrari to a Lada. I can't stand fallout 4.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#45]
New Vegas, no contest.

You’ve got Joshua Graham, Benny, The Great Khans.

What does Fallout 4 have? Piper? Cait? A bunch of robots on a ship?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
New Vegas, no contest.

What does Fallout 4 have? Piper? Cait? A bunch of robots on a ship?
View Quote

I like Nick Valentine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
New Vegas, no contest.

What does Fallout 4 have?Piper? Cait? A bunch of robots on a ship?
View Quote

I mean… Those things you listed ARE pretty sick
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#48]
New Vegas.

View Quote

I'm only 5 episodes into the Amazon series and it's been accurate enough so far that you can tell they paid some attention to detail.

Waiting for this asshole to jump out at any moment and say this lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ve only ever played 4.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Both were great games but I preferred NV for the better story and different feel. It was like having a Fallout mistress.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top