BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fag bags, a.k.a  “Shoot me first bags,” only work in a outdoor activity situation. Otherwise they’re known as above and stick out. Yes I have and use one hiking/camping but otherwise no.

Sling bags, chest-rig or HPG setup would be what I’d buy now.
View Quote

The “Shoot me first” phrase has been around a long time, but it’s really stupid when you think of it.     Has anyone actually been Shot First for wearing a Fanny Pack, or Vest or Tactical shoulder bag or pants?

Show me three articles where that happened.

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
They seem to be "my first CCW bag" for a number of people in my local Home Depot in the last few weeks. Might as well add a Glock patch.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my igloo retro pack.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That isn’t what a fag bag is.

A Fag Bag, is a Military Map case.    Words mean something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're called "fag bags" for a reason

That isn’t what a fag bag is.

A Fag Bag, is a Military Map case.    Words mean something.

People have been calling fanny packs fag bags for at least 30 years, probably more.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't sling my fantasy pack over my shoulder because it wouldn't look right

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jEcAAOSwh-Je4PAx/s-l500.jpg
View Quote
Get two, one over each shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an eagle Fanny in black multicam I wear a lot. You do have to consider that it’s a slower draw and need the Kydex trigger cover. I used paracord and tied a knot off with just enough slack to the Fanny pack eyelet so I can draw the gun without using two hands to remove the trigger cover.

And I have a 5.11 vest. I get asked if I’m a photographer
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I can’t remember the brand, but I used to use one that had a “quick draw” strap.  You would grab it and pull and the whole front would open to grab your pistol.  Didn’t have to mess with the zippers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can’t remember the brand, but I used to use one that had a “quick draw” strap.  You would grab it and pull and the whole front would open to grab your pistol.  Didn’t have to mess with the zippers.
View Quote

I have a sling bag like that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a 30 year old Uncle Mike’s like that somewhere. The thing is huge and I probably used it less than 5 times.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a 30 year old Uncle Mike’s like that somewhere. The thing is huge and I probably used it less than 5 times.
View Quote

Wasn’t Uncle Mikes.  Maybe Bianchi, Eagle Industries, or Assault Systems?
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the fatboy versipack from maxpedition. only when I travel. I keep a camera lens in there along with other camera stuff.

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Fanny packs are quite useful for many things, not least of which is holding caloric treats for putting on some thick, succulent, juicy mass. Or just getting fat if you sit around 24/7.

But don’t take my word for it

The MOST Important Video To Get HUUUUUGE
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm in texas...hell no, I can't rock that! Maybe in the winter. It's hot as hell here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember, “Fanny pack” is a noun, not a verb.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Lemme tell you a secret.

Photographers vest.  This is the way.  Be the Gray Man
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lemme tell you a secret.

View Quote

Yeah that's way less obtrusive than a waist pack lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I use one for a get home bag. It's rather large so it holds plenty of stuff, or at least enough to get home.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Fanny pack
Vest

The shit some guys do as a slave to unrequired shirt tucking; the shirt is going to be tucked, everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#21]
This is going to mess with some of you guys. I use a fanny pack everyday at work and I don't carry gun in it. I keep 2 cellphones, keys and a small knife. It's a la police gear frunk in gray. When I carry at work i pocket carry. Nobody cares that I a fanny pack, gay guys don't go out of their way to hit on me and women still try to flirt with me. Hell I joke it's a female deterrent accessory that's defective. Some of you are wound up too tight.

I carry mine on my right hip. I wish it had a thicker strap. I see a quite a few people everyday using fanny packs. Guys and girls both around the waist and over the shoulder. Go get one if you want. Try it out with a wallet/keys/phone to see if it's comfortable. Get people used to seeing you with one with out a gun in there and if you are comfortable start packing in it
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get people used to seeing you with one with out a gun in there and if you are comfortable start packing in it
View Quote

Publix, Walmart, wherever... I see a guy (or woman) with a fanny pack, I assume they are carrying; it's like open carry but trying to be stealth about it. Like "sneaky pete" that ain't sneaky, defacto open carry, but in a pouch.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lemme tell you a secret.

View Quote

Yeah, I read that issue of Guns & Ammo back in the 80's.

If you're not carrying two SLRs or a fly rod I assume you're strapped.

A blazer over a should holster would be more discreet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No, I wear it around my waist.
View Quote

This^...
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#25]
To OP's point, fanny packs / sling packs are en vogue these days, though as stated maybe only because the are easy to ditch if the heat is on.

I've carried a full-size Beretta Px4 IWB in a Cross Breed Supertuck and never had anyone notice. But that's assuming you're wearing pants and a shirt, not sweats and a wife beater. Even with a slight bulge I think it draws less attention than bags, vests, or Hawaiian shirts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I always have shorts on. Even when texas got, 5° below two years ago.

I just want to have either my 19 or 43 on me. And thought about that.

Not trying to sound like a bad ass or anything...but I'm not worried about being targeted or anything.

People have told me,I have a look about me that they don't want to mess with me.

I have maxpedition stuff, all kinds of things I can sling on my shoulders, but it's so damn big and bulky. Just looking for ideas I can just sling over my shit and be done.

I see people (guys) using all types of stuff, even packs wherever they go.
I want to feel comfortable. And not sure I would with a fanny pack, not calling anybody a fag that does at all.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I always have shorts on. Even when texas got, 5° below two years ago.

I just want to have either my 19 or 43 on me. And thought about that.

Not trying to sound like a bad ass or anything...but I'm not worried about being targeted or anything.

People have told me,I have a look about me that they don't want to mess with me.

I have maxpedition stuff, all kinds of things I can sling on my shoulders, but it's so damn big and bulky. Just looking for ideas I can just sling over my shit and be done.

I see people (guys) using all types of stuff, even packs wherever they go.
I want to feel comfortable. And not sure I would with a fanny pack, not calling anybody a fag that does at all.

View Quote

like I said - I see the college girls around here doing it all the time, they are back in fashion.

I think having one while bicycling would be super handy.

this one posted earlier seems pretty reasonable - UAG
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Fanny pack carry is going to make a  comeback in the next 5 years or so.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lemme tell you a secret.

100% that.  Unless you are standing in a river with waders or strapped with pro-grade camera gear, that thing screams "hiding gun."  It has for some time and that situation isn't changing.

In contrast, waist and (especially) crossbody bags have become increasingly popular in recent years.  The high-end athletic retailer Lululemon was sold out of them for some time.  Thus, women don't get a second look wearing them and, in more urban areas, neither do most men.

On the other hand, if a guy has a cop haircut, wears 5.11 pants, and is sporting a Velcro patch hat, he already wasn't blending in.  Nor was he making any effort to do so.  A fanny pack isn't making the difference there, either way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#30]
bump
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I used a Hill People Gear one when hiking when I'm away from people. Otherwise it's just too gay lol.

But really, a fanny pack is the only comfortable way for me to carry if I'm going on a long hike or mountain bike. Either that or in my backpack which is about useless if I need it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Realistically carrying is never totally comfortable. Belt is the best. Waist pack is fine. If comfort is your priority, just don't carry.
View Quote

Ah yes, the “CCW is meant to give you comfort of mind, not be comfortable” mindset. Kind of bullshit, but if we’re all honest here, carrying a gun on your person isn’t comfortable, you just learn to tolerate it.

The problem for many that don’t live in high-crime areas or it’s mostly low threat occupation and activities, comfort is a priority. For me, it’s more about the activity and having the mobility and security to carry in less static activities. I’ve see a lot of concealed carry holster systems fail once you start doing dynamic drills; not all are really secure outside of standing on the corner looking cool with your hands in front with your “defensive gear”.

Quoted:
Fanny Pack is akin to my mind as open carrying.....
View Quote

Does really it matter? Only 0.000087% of our population would likely even notice a fanny pack and even less would even consider it a concealed carry platform.  Sheep aren’t wired that way and there really aren’t that many sheep dogs bored enough to do the “I spy CCW” games to give a shit. Yes, some criminals may assume they’re holding a CCW, but it’s likely less about the bag than it is the posture, behavior, and mannerisms of the individual.

Like you, I don’t give a shit what other people do as long as it’s legal enough for them to accept the risks. My only criticism of such carry methods is to make sure they keep the carry system on their body and that they train to index, access, draw, and engage. No such systems are going to be faster than a good IWB (or covered OWB) and gun belt, but I guess I would look awkward wearing a gun belt with leotards…

Quoted:
Remember, “Fanny pack” is a noun, not a verb.
View Quote

I’m no longer going to even use that term. From now on, mine is a MLCS = Micro-Lumbar Carry System.

Seriously, if a gay guy hits on your for wearing a “fanny pack”, it’s not you’re CCW platform that’s giving you away.

I can’t think of a single CCW-fag that would dime out someone who they “think” are packing their CCW in some type of non-conventional platform. Seriously. You spot the tell, you pat yourself on the back for your John Wick situational awareness and observation skills, and then post on ARFCOM how something like a fanny pack is a sure way to say “I’m armed”.  Okay…whatever.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Spiritus Fanny SACK
2MT: Handguns & The Fanny Sack
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I wore my issue one while on duty.  Sometimes on my waist, sometimes like a bandoleer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ah yes, the "CCW is meant to give you comfort of mind, not be comfortable" mindset. Kind of bullshit, but if we're all honest here, carrying a gun on your person isn't comfortable, you just learn to tolerate it.

The problem for many that don't live in high-crime areas or it's mostly low threat occupation and activities, comfort is a priority. For me, it's more about the activity and having the mobility and security to carry in less static activities. I've see a lot of concealed carry holster systems fail once you start doing dynamic drills; not all are really secure outside of standing on the corner looking cool with your hands in front with your "defensive gear".

Does really it matter? Only 0.000087% of our population would likely even notice a fanny pack and even less would even consider it a concealed carry platform.  Sheep aren't wired that way and there really aren't that many sheep dogs bored enough to do the "I spy CCW" games to give a shit. Yes, some criminals may assume they're holding a CCW, but it's likely less about the bag than it is the posture, behavior, and mannerisms of the individual.

Like you, I don't give a shit what other people do as long as it's legal enough for them to accept the risks. My only criticism of such carry methods is to make sure they keep the carry system on their body and that they train to index, access, draw, and engage. No such systems are going to be faster than a good IWB (or covered OWB) and gun belt, but I guess I would look awkward wearing a gun belt with leotards

I'm no longer going to even use that term. From now on, mine is a MLCS = Micro-Lumbar Carry System.

Seriously, if a gay guy hits on your for wearing a "fanny pack", it's not you're CCW platform that's giving you away.

I can't think of a single CCW-fag that would dime out someone who they "think" are packing their CCW in some type of non-conventional platform. Seriously. You spot the tell, you pat yourself on the back for your John Wick situational awareness and observation skills, and then post on ARFCOM how something like a fanny pack is a sure way to say "I'm armed".  Okay whatever.

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Realistically carrying is never totally comfortable. Belt is the best. Waist pack is fine. If comfort is your priority, just don't carry.

Ah yes, the "CCW is meant to give you comfort of mind, not be comfortable" mindset. Kind of bullshit, but if we're all honest here, carrying a gun on your person isn't comfortable, you just learn to tolerate it.

The problem for many that don't live in high-crime areas or it's mostly low threat occupation and activities, comfort is a priority. For me, it's more about the activity and having the mobility and security to carry in less static activities. I've see a lot of concealed carry holster systems fail once you start doing dynamic drills; not all are really secure outside of standing on the corner looking cool with your hands in front with your "defensive gear".

Quoted:
Fanny Pack is akin to my mind as open carrying.....

Does really it matter? Only 0.000087% of our population would likely even notice a fanny pack and even less would even consider it a concealed carry platform.  Sheep aren't wired that way and there really aren't that many sheep dogs bored enough to do the "I spy CCW" games to give a shit. Yes, some criminals may assume they're holding a CCW, but it's likely less about the bag than it is the posture, behavior, and mannerisms of the individual.

Like you, I don't give a shit what other people do as long as it's legal enough for them to accept the risks. My only criticism of such carry methods is to make sure they keep the carry system on their body and that they train to index, access, draw, and engage. No such systems are going to be faster than a good IWB (or covered OWB) and gun belt, but I guess I would look awkward wearing a gun belt with leotards

Quoted:
Remember, "Fanny pack" is a noun, not a verb.

I'm no longer going to even use that term. From now on, mine is a MLCS = Micro-Lumbar Carry System.

Seriously, if a gay guy hits on your for wearing a "fanny pack", it's not you're CCW platform that's giving you away.

I can't think of a single CCW-fag that would dime out someone who they "think" are packing their CCW in some type of non-conventional platform. Seriously. You spot the tell, you pat yourself on the back for your John Wick situational awareness and observation skills, and then post on ARFCOM how something like a fanny pack is a sure way to say "I'm armed".  Okay whatever.

ROCK6

You seem to disagree with me then also agree with me, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I've used them from time to time but rarely carry a firearm in one.  When I had a dog and kids it was pretty useful for carrying all the supplies needed for brief trips around town with them in tow.  Also great for trips to school where I had to disarm (just toss the whole fanny pack in a lockbox in the trunk). Now that I am single and dog-less again I don't really have a use for it.

Too slow to draw from to regularly carry in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#37]
https://www.rei.com/product/161780/amphipod-airflow-trail-pack?sku=1617800001&store=233&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_1617800001%7C92700057782307954%7CNB%7C71700000074093058&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkOqZBhDNARIsAACsbfJo1h42jvFvxZ_DFsPVoPPaEKY2HSRArk6e5dEViqppMEBpyISI2AgaApWkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what I use. It's for runners. It conceals well enough with dark shorts and no shirt on, even better with shirts and hoodies when it's cooler. A big belly might change that, I don't know.

It holds tight to the body when running. I fit a P365X in it just fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use one slung over my shoulder for ccw. It's the perfect size and now with so many people carrying them, it doesn't throw up any flags. Prefer that to having the pistol digging into my legs or groin when I sit down.
View Quote

Still a huge flag.  In the hood, you anywhere around me and reach for that thang, Imma blade you at 45.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You seem to disagree with me then also agree with me, so I'm not sure exactly what you mean
View Quote

@RolandofGilead
I’m agreeing not to really disagree with you

Actually, my point is that concerns of having a fanny pack as a CCW carrier are overblown. That still doesn't make them the most ideal CCW option for everyone, but they may have some niche, situational purposes. The biggest factor about any off-body carry system is training with it.  

I've always said my rules for being prepared for self-defense is (other than Rule Zero: Avoid situations, activities or locations where your life is likely to be at risk from bad peeps!):

1. Have a gun (reputable, dependable gun)

2. Have a gun with you.

3. Have a carry system that is secure and allows fast access.

4. Train with your CCW as much as your carry system (to include clothing attire).

5. Train according to your life style, situation, and activities.

Well, I just made that shit up, but they're all relevant regardless of one's CCW carry system...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm agreeing not to really disagree with you

Actually, my point is that concerns of having a fanny pack as a CCW carrier are overblown. That still doesn't make them the most ideal CCW option for everyone, but they may have some niche, situational purposes. The biggest factor about any off-body carry system is training with it.  

I've always said my rules for being prepared for self-defense is:

2. Have a gun with you.

4. Train with your CCW as much as your carry system (to include clothing attire).

Well, I just made that shit up, but they're all relevant regardless of one's CCW carry system...

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm agreeing not to really disagree with you

I've always said my rules for being prepared for self-defense is:

2. Have a gun with you.

ROCK6

Yeah I agree with you. It's why I rarely use my pack...but when I do, it's because I don't really have a better option for whatever reason.
I said 90% of the time I IWB earlier in the thread IIRC, but that's not even true...it's more like 99% of the time. I haven't carried in my pack since this thread started.

Even still, the idea of being "made" because of a waist pack is silly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hood rats do it all the time now.
View Quote

They sure do; cross body with Micro Dracos are the new black.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is going to mess with some of you guys. I use a fanny pack everyday at work and I don't carry gun in it. I keep 2 cellphones, keys and a small knife. It's a la police gear frunk in gray. When I carry at work i pocket carry. Nobody cares that I a fanny pack, gay guys don't go out of their way to hit on me and women still try to flirt with me. Hell I joke it's a female deterrent accessory that's defective. Some of you are wound up too tight.

I carry mine on my right hip. I wish it had a thicker strap. I see a quite a few people everyday using fanny packs. Guys and girls both around the waist and over the shoulder. Go get one if you want. Try it out with a wallet/keys/phone to see if it's comfortable. Get people used to seeing you with one with out a gun in there and if you are comfortable start packing in it
View Quote

This whole "gay" thing is stupid on this site.  My problems with fanny packs are not rooted in someones sexual insecurities.  Over the should is "off body".  I don't think that is a good idea, ever.  
I carry my real wallet in an ankle rig.  I carry a fake wallet in my weak side hip pocket.  If there is anything of value in a fanny/shoulder bag it will be the thing you are fighting over.
I was talking to some of my black female neighbors the other day (both carry); they gave up purses a long time ago.  
When I worked for Brinks, we still wore ties; but we wore fake ties only because you did not want anything around your neck that serves as a "handle" to take you off your feet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Why not just get one of these?  They have a place for spare magazines, a radio, water and more.  Oh, the conceal a full-sized handgun, too.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why not just get one of these?  They have a place for spare magazines, a radio, water and more.  Oh, the conceal a full-sized handgun, too.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1527/5001/products/0403K_detail_1024x1024_grande_e4a1026c-fde1-4897-b6e9-64a4d2204b63_1024x1024.jpg?v=1619120816
View Quote

Think I have one...its too much.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

OMFG I remember those!!!  I think I still have my Babnana Republic one packed away somewheres.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1527/5001/products/0403K_detail_1024x1024_grande_e4a1026c-fde1-4897-b6e9-64a4d2204b63_1024x1024.jpg?v=1619120816
View Quote

That's how I would transport a pistol, several magazines, mini laptop or tablet, e- reader, Nintendo handheld, chargers, phones, etc, to my now- wife's place for the weekend before I got a CCW.

Now I use the same bag to transport all the same shit for overnight visits to family, but the pistol is on my body.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

People have been calling fanny packs fag bags for at least 30 years, probably more.
View Quote

I've heard them called that for as long as they've been around...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top