BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2019 8:02:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
That's an unusual and epic photo.

I remember when the YF-16 was first being introduced and paraded around, before there were any of the FSD Grey Falcons.

It was just this red, white, blue, and black, strange-looking plane with blended wings and a viper-like leading edge root extension planform, with a big intake underneath.

It did things in the air no other fighter could do when looking at maneuverability, and was always a crowd-pleaser.

That was in the 1970s when things were much different.  They turned one of the YF-16 prototypes into the F-16CCV demonstrator.

My dad ended up working on it later with some of the advanced systems being developed for the F-16C subsequent production blocks, originally planned for Block 30, but later implemented on Block 50/52.

One of my best friend's dad was the chief test pilot on the F-16 CTF at Edwards, while another worked on developmental engines for DEEC on the F100 improvements.  I remember going over to the pilot's house and watching his HUD video practice sessions for the Edwards open house, and hearing how guttural and physical the whole thing was.

Flight restrictions were more relaxed back then, as it was at the height of the Reagan years, which was awesome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's an unusual and epic photo.

I remember when the YF-16 was first being introduced and paraded around, before there were any of the FSD Grey Falcons.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/YF-16-F0.jpg

It was just this red, white, blue, and black, strange-looking plane with blended wings and a viper-like leading edge root extension planform, with a big intake underneath.

It did things in the air no other fighter could do when looking at maneuverability, and was always a crowd-pleaser.

That was in the 1970s when things were much different.  They turned one of the YF-16 prototypes into the F-16CCV demonstrator.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/YF-16-CCV.jpg

My dad ended up working on it later with some of the advanced systems being developed for the F-16C subsequent production blocks, originally planned for Block 30, but later implemented on Block 50/52.

One of my best friend's dad was the chief test pilot on the F-16 CTF at Edwards, while another worked on developmental engines for DEEC on the F100 improvements.  I remember going over to the pilot's house and watching his HUD video practice sessions for the Edwards open house, and heating how guttural and physical the whole thing was.

Flight restrictions were more relaxed back then, as it was at the height of the Reagan years, which was awesome.
View Quote
I remember building that model.  Beautiful bird no matter what colors.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I remember building that model.  Beautiful bird no matter what colors.
View Quote
Yep, I built the model too. Those photos instantly bring back memories.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Op how did you get that pic?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Great pic
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Won't see the 158th flying those babies anymore.  So glad those old ass Blk30's are gone
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Op how did you get that pic?
View Quote
Found it on internet. Forgot where now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, not an F16, but remember...

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Won't see the 158th flying those babies anymore.  So glad those old ass Blk30's are gone
View Quote
Big mouth Block 30s are some of the most fun times I've had in a Viper.  Don't envy those guys going to the 35.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If I could get the chance to fly any military aircraft ever made,  as the pilot, I'd pick the F-16 and not be too picky about which block it is.

My favorite plane by far.

Although just about every former F-16 pilot who has transitioned to the F-35 says the F-35 is the place to be for situational awareness and winning the engagement, I've heard that for pure flying enjoyment most of them still prefer the F-16.

Here's a Nellis 64th Squadron Aggressor in the Have Glass V paint scheme which applies the RAM coatings developed for the F-35 to the F-16, for a classified but presumably substantial reduction in RCS over previous schemes.

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome  sauce!

@bull-f16
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I was a Dock Shop Weenie on A&B models for 4 years.
It used to bother Me to see a Two-Holer taxi out with nobody in the back seat. What a waste.
If there was somebody there, it would be the new Gal in Ops, not the Crew Chief that's pored his heart & soul into His/Her Suck & Blow Tinker Toy.
(Can You tell I'm a PropHead?)
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#15]
F-16 trivia:  The USN had a special version F-16 made for them, the F-16N, for use as aggressor aircraft.  They were the lightest and quickest F-16s ever built, being built without weapons systems.   They were so light and had so much thrust relative to their weight that they were capable of supercruise.

They were also the most maneuverable F-16s ever made.

Some upgrades were made on them in production because it was known that they'd be flown very hard. Those upgrades included making wing attachment structures out of titanium.   Despite that, the Ns were retired after a fairly short service life due to wing root cracks caused by being flown so aggressively so often.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
F-16 trivia:  The USN had a special version F-16 made for them, the F-16N, for use as aggressor aircraft.  They were the lightest and quickest F-16s ever built, being built without weapons systems.   They were so light and had so much thrust relative to their weight that they were capable of supercruise.

They were also the most maneuverable F-16s ever made.

Some upgrades were made on them in production because it was known that they'd be flown very hard. Those upgrades included making wing attachment structures out of titanium.   Despite that, the Ns were retired after a fairly short service life due to wing root cracks caused by being flown so aggressively so often.
View Quote
Here you go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top