Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might consider selling that cast iron.  Should bring a decent chunk of money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one of those big thick cast iron pits buried about 3' deep. It's about 1-1/2" thick and maybe 4' diameter. It'll outlast me by gYou enerations.

The only complaint I have is digging it out once a year - lots of ashes!

You might consider selling that cast iron.  Should bring a decent chunk of money.

No thanks. I use it regularly. As far as I know it's even pre-atomic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Solo Stove Bonfire. It's great in the warmer months, it's extremely efficient and produces little smoke, but it also produces little heat. You have to be directly above it to really warm up, in which case you'll end up in the burn unit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Tagscribed for later
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Firepit is in the back, but I only use it to burn larger tree limbs and stuff.

Swedish torch is SOOOO much better.  I have several "stumps" set of to the side, some pre-cut.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Works pretty well once it warms up
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I use mine year round , the roof makes a huge difference. I would build a different roof and skip the hood and flue if I was going to do it over.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#13]
@NWRed

What would you do different?

I have a brick patio with brick firepit in the middle, under a big oak tree.  If the tree dies I will have to build a roof over it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I built a propane fire pit insert out of an old gas fireplace. Instant on, instant off and no smoke or ash ftmfw.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anybody got pics, or layout plans for the BFL fire pit at the former ARF headquarters in upstate NY?  I had them, but can't find them.  It was a simple-but-cool design.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-I-wish-I-was-able-to-go-to-Arfcom-s-Brick-and-Mortar-Store--F-YOU-CUOMO-/5-2266813/?page=1
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@NWRed

What would you do different?

I have a brick patio with brick firepit in the middle, under a big oak tree.  If the tree dies I will have to build a roof over it.
View Quote

@trails-end
Just a simple shed roof, or 2 opposing shed roofs ( double shed roof) with a 12"+- step in between to allow the smoke to escape on its own and skip building the hood and chimney. If the fire is burning hot the smoke goes up the chimney. If it's windy at all smoke blows sideways under the hood. Wasted money and time on the hood.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]

I just brought home my materials from Menards today for mine.

I'm doing my own variation of their design (note the 4 rows vs the 3) and this:

I Perfected The DIY Smokeless Fire Pit That Works

My variation is to put the whole setup on top of these pavers they sell, which have some channels in them, to better let air into the center of the burn pit which will have porous lava rock on the bottom to also help with airflow into the bottom of it.

I'd be working on it now but it's way too fucking hot outside.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lFo2ycdN0Y

My variation is to put the whole setup on top of these pavers they sell, which have some channels in them, to better let air into the center of the burn pit which will have porous lava rock on the bottom to also help with airflow into the bottom of it.

View Quote

I have lava rock on the bottom of mine; pain in the butt to clear out the ashes.  I'm planning to bend / weld up some rebar to hold some expanded metal as the fire basket and let it sit over bare dirt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have lava rock on the bottom of mine; pain in the butt to clear out the ashes.  I'm planning to bend / weld up some rebar to hold some expanded metal as the fire basket and let it sit over bare dirt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lFo2ycdN0Y

I was considering something like that but was hoping to go with something that wouldn't need constant replacement. Was hoping that between the pavers with grooves for the base and vent holes I'm going to leave at the bottom I could just hose out the ashes but didn't have any idea how it would work out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was considering something like that but was hoping to go with something that wouldn't need constant replacement. Was hoping that between the pavers with grooves for the base and vent holes I'm going to leave at the bottom I could just hose out the ashes but didn't have any idea how it would work out.
View Quote

I poured a concrete slab in the bottom of mine. Super easy to clean with a square shovel. The firepit at the last house was just landscape blocks in the dirt and I always ended up with about as much dirt as ashes when I scraped it out
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Rock crusher cone like this
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I poured a concrete slab in the bottom of mine. Super easy to clean with a square shovel. The firepit at the last house was just landscape blocks in the dirt and I always ended up with about as much dirt as ashes when I scraped it out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'd definitely like to do it on a poured slab down the road when I can finalize my outdoor space (plan to expand the deck on this place I bought and have a proper fire pit area off it). Figured the pavers are a good non-permanent solution for now. Not going to use adhesive on the blocks either so I can trial and error it then move it when it's time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]
My China PitAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'd definitely like to do it on a poured slab down the road when I can finalize my outdoor space (plan to expand the deck on this place I bought and have a proper fire pit area off it). Figured the pavers are a good non-permanent solution for now. Not going to use adhesive on the blocks either so I can trial and error it then move it when it's time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

solid pavers in the bottom, air gaps in the bottom row of block around the pit. battery powered leaf blower to stoke the fire

I plumbed a 2" piece of ABS under my slab and has a large reducer that fits my leaf blower, it comes up in the the middle of the fire pit. Its always full of ashes and nails and shit, I need to build a permanent elevated metal grate to keep the ashes out. If I did it again, I'd do a metal pipe through the sidewall to blow air into the fire rather then up from the bottom. It works, it just gets clogged up

Someday I'll cut the pipe down and make another wood grain paver with the reducer sitting flush

Woodgrain textured caps I cast for the top.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Cowboy Cauldron...

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm making my own park grill from scrap at the moment.

Going to use it for normal charcoal grilling, but also going to have risers to be able to simmer a scalding pot for chicken processing over a wood fire.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm making my own park grill from scrap at the moment.

Going to use it for normal charcoal grilling, but also going to have risers to be able to simmer a scalding pot for chicken processing over a wood fire.

https://i.imgur.com/y99nbGy.jpeg
View Quote

That looks awesome!!!

We had one of them in the yard growing up - bet that my dad stole it from the state...

lol

Red
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Making my fireplace a couple years ago.
Attachment Attached File

Need to work on a patio around it to tie it into the house patio
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:15:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

solid pavers in the bottom, air gaps in the bottom row of block around the pit. battery powered leaf blower to stoke the fire

I plumbed a 2" piece of ABS under my slab and has a large reducer that fits my leaf blower, it comes up in the the middle of the fire pit. Its always full of ashes and nails and shit, I need to build a permanent elevated metal grate to keep the ashes out. If I did it again, I'd do a metal pipe through the sidewall to blow air into the fire rather then up from the bottom. It works, it just gets clogged up

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/MqxXbB.jpg

Someday I'll cut the pipe down and make another wood grain paver with the reducer sitting flush
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/QYy7wT.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/RhCah8.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/MqxXbB.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/QYy7wT.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/RhCah8.jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Good to know what works and what doesn't. I'd seen a couple videos with a similar bottom vent design and had concerns about that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Propane fire pub height table. Push a button and boom...fire. Also don't smell like a fire when I got back inside.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Good to know what works and what doesn't. I'd seen a couple videos with a similar bottom vent design and had concerns about that.
View Quote

Mine works, its just not completed with a elevated grate to block ash from filling up the vent. I welded up a box and chopped some holes in it with the plasma cutter messing around but didnt come up with a proper way to attach it to the vent hole - 4" piece of 1.75" OD pipe welded to the bottom of the box would have worked fine.

On the previous firepit that was just blocks in the dirt I removed one of the bottom blocks and was able to blast the base of the fire with the leaf blower and was able to get the fire raging. The pit was large enough to throw whole pallets in. Between the 2 designs, being able to blow air sideways at the base of the fire seemed to work better than having a fixed location underneath the fire for forced air.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a solo stove and a steel fire pit.  My favorite steel ones are made from a propane tank end.  The welder I used used to make them that way - but decided he was too damn old to make a fire pit that damn heavy anymore.

Do want to make a smokeless burn barrel someday soon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Looked for a year or so.  Cablea’s FTW.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I stacked regular bricks in an overlapping circle pattern then filled the bottom with sand and around the outside with sand.

Not the best but it only took 1 afternoon.

Not me but I heard some guy then let his kid shoot some old spray cans that were sitting on the side while it was lit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I've got string lights hanging from the trees too. Work in progress.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#44]

That vehicle should be a Tesla
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Just thought I'd follow up with an update. Mine is complete*.

Got the holes drilled in the ring for the smokeless design. 1" holes spaced 2" apart drilled with a step bit for nice chamfered holes. Shot with some high temp black after.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The screws that came with the pit were useless. Consistency of cheese. My Milwaukee ratchet snapped one tightening it. Replaced them with some quality M6 metric phillips screws.

And fully assembled:

Attachment Attached File

*I may revise the design and remove a layer of the bricks depending on how well this works in terms of smokelessness. A little concerned the lava may actually restrict air flow into the space outside the ring (tried to keep as much inside) but we'll see. If I drop it down a row the ring will keep more of the lava rock inside the ring. I've got no problem with experimenting since, like I said, it's only semi-temporary.

Also got one of these to increase the angle on the cap stones slightly so they fit together a little more tightly for a better look.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Got the holes drilled in the ring for the smokeless design. 1" holes spaced 2" apart drilled with a step bit for nice chamfered holes. Shot with some high temp black after.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/IMG_3521_jpg-2434771.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/IMG_3524_jpg-2434772.JPG

The screws that came with the pit were useless. Consistency of cheese. My Milwaukee ratchet snapped one tightening it. Replaced them with some quality M6 metric phillips screws.

And fully assembled:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/IMG_3567_jpg-2434776.JPG

*I may revise the design and remove a layer of the bricks depending on how well this works in terms of smokelessness. A little concerned the lava may actually restrict air flow into the space outside the ring (tried to keep as much inside) but we'll see. If I drop it down a row the ring will keep more of the lava rock inside the ring. I've got no problem with experimenting since, like I said, it's only semi-temporary.

Also got one of these to increase the angle on the cap stones slightly so they fit together a little more tightly for a better look.
View Quote

@Ryan_Ruck

Ok - what brick/block did you use?  How many do you have in it?

Thanks,

Red
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

This is mine just before I finished the block work for the control valve and ignitor. It is propane so it's quick to light and smoke free. Perfect combo for the cooler evenings when your sitting by the koi pond having a couple drinks. Turn it on then turn it off and carry on with your evening.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@Ryan_Ruck

Thanks,

Red
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/IMG_3521_jpg-2434771.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/IMG_3524_jpg-2434772.JPG

And fully assembled:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/IMG_3567_jpg-2434776.JPG

@Ryan_Ruck

Thanks,

Red

I noticed you're in FL so you might not have any luck with this but as mentioned everything but the fire ring came from Menards, who is mostly in the Midwest and Northern Plains.

But, here's the breakdown on materials. I based it off their Ashwell Heavy Duty Fire Pit Project List.

- 20 12 x 16 Charcoal EZ Cottage Stone Paver Block
- 68 3-1/2 x 7 Sienna Tumbled Belgian Wedge Wall Block
- 92 3-1/2 x 1-3/4 Tan Small Tumbled Belgian Wall Block
- 14 2-3/8 x 12 Tan Retaining Wall Cap

I bought extra so I've got some left over but that's what I ended up using, all said and done.

The rest was 5 bags Red Lava Rock - 1.0 Cu. Ft. and the Blue Sky Outdoor Living Heavy-Duty 36 in. x 10 in. Round Steel Wood Fire Pit Ring with 2.7 mm Steel.

Forgot to mention, when I'm done shaping the cap stones, I'm going to also wash the whole thing with some soap and water to try and get rid of all the rock dust on it and bring out the color in the stone a bit more.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top