Site Notices
Page / 32
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Is this the third scrub with the astronauts strapped in and ready to go, or just the second?

View Quote

2nd.

Glad I missed the scrub. Just got home.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Chris_in_TX:
Crew is getting a huge case of blue balls.
View Quote

If I was on the crew I'd seriously be considering telling NASA I quit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Short straw pullers that go on this dud as opposed to Dragon? I'd never want to go on that DEI rocket and capsule. Probably like 10 percent chance it malfunctions catastrophically. Just look at the internals and compare it to Dragon. Looks like the inside of a Mig21 compared to G5 - banged together with $500 government hammers.

Link Posted: 6/1/2024 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
I'd rate a software load glitch as a fairly major incident.  But I wonder why it is loaded at launch, not well before and then checked.

Could be baloney.
View Quote

Not the first time Boeing has had a serious software glitch on this thing. If memory serves Starliner failed to make the correct orbit on its first flight for that reason.

If it's not baloney I hope it turns out that the real reason for the scrub was something really fucking crazy like someone took a power saw to vitally needed circuits.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Also I think Starliner might be a bit too heavy for a Falcon 9? But I'm not certain about that. It sure would be an awkward looking configuration.
View Quote

Starliner is the Alabama beauty contest winner of manned space capsules?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Starliner is the Alabama beauty contest winner of manned space capsules?
View Quote

Compared to everything else currently flying people into orbit? I think so. The one the Russians use is pretty svelte. Looks a bit uncomfortable for the crew though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Compared to everything else currently flying people into orbit? I think so. The one the Russians use is pretty svelte. Looks a bit uncomfortable for the crew though.
View Quote

No way would I go on the commie capsule.  You get in and strapped down then they pack stuff all around you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chris_in_TX:
Crew is getting a huge case of blue balls.

Same
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cobalt135:
The GLS (launch computer) activated the hold due to an anomoly.  PR commenter claims that mission control is looking into it....

Likely more like "no public release of scrub cause until we come up with what we want them to hear and feed the media" IMO

Those people looking at the screens know what is in the green or not.  At the least they know the reason for the GLS flag of HOLD.

View Quote

Being fucked up is not an "anomaly" for Starliner.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Said booster is an Atlas. Which is intended to be replaced by Vulcan. Atlas uses Russian engines and they haven't been able to get more of those for a little while now.

Also I think Starliner might be a bit too heavy for a Falcon 9? But I'm not certain about that. It sure would be an awkward looking configuration.

In any case the crew have exited the capsule and I suppose we will just have to see what happens tommrow.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

The ULA rocket is really just a an off the shelf booster to get it to orbit.

Old school aero/gov people won't let it go up on SpaceX

Said booster is an Atlas. Which is intended to be replaced by Vulcan. Atlas uses Russian engines and they haven't been able to get more of those for a little while now.

In any case the crew have exited the capsule and I suppose we will just have to see what happens tommrow.

I believe a Falcon 9 has greater thrust and can get more into LEO than an Atlas V. But no clue with strap on boosters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]

I believe a Falcon 9 has greater thrust and can get more into LEO than an Atlas V. But no clue with strap on boosters.
View Quote

If we're going to compare apples to apples, the proper comparison with extra boosters would be a FH, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]
NASA.gov just put out no launch tomorrow. Tuesday at the earliest.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:55:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#15]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
If we're going to compare apples to apples, the proper comparison with extra boosters would be a FH, wouldn't it?
View Quote

Now that could probably get a Starliner into orbit.

Along with a city bus.

Candlejack | "I've gotta go charter a bus. Believe it or n
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Teamer:
NASA.gov just put out no launch tomorrow. Tuesday at the earliest.
View Quote

.@NASA
, @BoeingSpace
, and @ulalaunch
are forgoing a Crew Flight Test launch attempt on June 2 to give the team additional time to assess a ground support equipment issue.

ULA will assess the ground support equipment overnight, and NASA will provide an update June 2 on next steps for the flight. The next available launch opportunities are June 5 and June 6.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

FH isn't man rated. No clue about at atlas V with boosters.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

The ULA rocket is really just a an off the shelf booster to get it to orbit.

Old school aero/gov people won't let it go up on SpaceX

Missing a chart -
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#19]

FH isn't man rated. No clue about at atlas V with boosters.
View Quote

Which isn't the same thing as saying it isn't perfectly capable.  It likely is.

It isn't man rated because the only human payloads it would ever launch are already being launched with F9s.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
#Scrubliner
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]
To be fair, it seems as if a number of the delays/problems with this SPECIFIC launch have actually been ULA issues, and not Boeing issues.  

View Quote

Soooo... what you're really saying is, even ULA doesn't want to go with anything Boeing?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Soooo... what you're really saying is, even ULA doesn't want to go with anything Boeing?
View Quote

Mmm, probably. They are up for sale. BO is the most likely buyer, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Pretty sure they’re more concerned with a successful, not exploding, launch…
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
To be fair, it seems as if a number of the delays/problems with this SPECIFIC launch have actually been ULA issues, and not Boeing issues.  

View Quote

I'll add to that, this scrub was due to a terminal count self test that didn't necessarily detect a fault, but tripped because it took too long to complete on one out of three computers. When the two saw the third wasn't finished it caused disagreement and tripped to hold.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

So the problem is still with "old space" vs "New Space"

I wonder who has put more stuff into orbit in the last 10 years?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

So the problem is still with "old space" vs "New Space"

I wonder who has put more stuff into orbit in the last 10 years?
View Quote

I've said several times that The Webb Observatory was going to be the last hurrah for old space. Going forward every big project and most of the little ones will either have New Space doing everything or at least the heavy lifting.

There are plans on the table for a demonstration flight of a nuclear engine in high orbit in 2027. I expect that will be going up on a Falcon 9 or Heavy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#29]
NASA, mission partners target June 5 Crew Flight Test launch

NASA’s Boeing Crew Flight Test mission teams are preparing to support a launch at 10:52 a.m. EDT Wednesday, June 5, from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida on a mission of about a week to the International Space Station.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 12:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#30]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Boeing stock is up today, always a certain indicator that money was not lost because a project was cancelled, or in this case, risk averted for a few days.
View Quote

Would you buy Boeing stock?  I would not.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 4:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#33]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Atlas V Starliner CFT Mission Profile
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#35]
Jun 03 15:51

NASA, Boeing set for June 5 Crew Flight Test launch attempt

Teams at NASA and Boeing confirmed Monday the company’s Starliner spacecraft, ULA (United Launch Alliance) Atlas V rocket, and ground support equipment are healthy and ready for the next launch attempt. The first Starliner flight with NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams, known as NASA’s Boeing Crew Flight Test, is targeted to liftoff at 10:52 a.m. EDT Wednesday, June 5, to the International Space Station for about a one week stay aboard the microgravity laboratory.

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#36]

A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket, topped with the Boeing Starliner spacecraft, rolls out to its launch pad at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station on May 4, 2024. (Image credit: Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo / AFP via Getty Images)
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Mmm, probably. They are up for sale. BO is the most likely buyer, unfortunately.
View Quote

Lol, if you can't make your own rocket, just buy a rocket company…?  

LMFAO.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Jun 04 21:32
Atlas V countdown begins!

United Launch Alliance initiated the Atlas V rocket's countdown at 11:32:15 p.m. EDT (0332:15 UTC) to launch the Crew Flight Test of Boeing's Starliner spacecraft from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. This historic mission will launch NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams on a voyage to the International Space Station as part of the Commercial Crew Program.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:48:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#39]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Jun 04 21:32
Atlas V countdown begins!

United Launch Alliance initiated the Atlas V rocket's countdown at 11:32:15 p.m. EDT (0332:15 UTC) to launch the Crew Flight Test of Boeing's Starliner spacecraft from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. This historic mission will launch NASA astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams on a voyage to the International Space Station as part of the Commercial Crew Program.
View Quote

What's the launch time scheduled for?...still 10:52 AM or did it shift.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

View Quote

Last update I just saw says still on track for 10:52, but I can't find if it's an instantaneous window or not.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:
Last update I just saw says still on track for 10:52, but I can't find if it's an instantaneous window or not.
View Quote

ISS windows typically are instantaneous, or close enough to it that there is no re-cycle window.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Weather 90% go.
Time to get this monkey off the back !
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:58:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackFox] [#43]
Fingers crossed for a successful launch today. We’re staged in St Augustine, and it looks like we should be able to see the first two minutes.

I don’t care about NASA politics and Boeing drama. Any time we launch things into space (particularly something as unique as this) is a good day.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BlackFox:
Fingers crossed for a successful launch today. We’re staged in St Augustine, and it looks like we should be able to see the first two minutes.

I don’t care about NASA politics and Boeing drama. Any time we launch things into space (particularly something as unique as this) is a good day.
View Quote

Good luck and happy viewing !
Going to ride over to Kelly Park and watch from the Banana River shore line.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:11:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#45]
I hope for ULA's sake this thing goes up today.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Good luck and happy viewing !
Going to ride over to Kelly Park and watch from the Banana River shore line.
View Quote

Oh man - that would be awesome. We were there for a bit, but had to leave due to weather. I’m on the boat so don’t have a car, but had thought about taking our tender (a 17’ Boston whaler) down there. They seem to get really pissy about boats being around the launch area, though, and it would be about 4 hours each way. The fact I forgot my Bimini top is the icing on the cake!! Two minutes from St Augustine will be fine.

I’m glad to hear we’ll have somebody there on location. Take photos!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BlackFox:

Oh man - that would be awesome. We were there for a bit, but had to leave due to weather. I’m on the boat so don’t have a car, but had thought about taking our tender (a 17’ Boston whaler) down there. They seem to get really pissy about boats being around the launch area, though, and it would be about 4 hours each way. The fact I forgot my Bimini top is the icing on the cake!! Two minutes from St Augustine will be fine.

I’m glad to hear we’ll have somebody there on location. Take photos!!
View Quote

Thanks !

They certainly do get a bit edgy about boats in the launch area. If you brought your 17' BW you would probably have to come down the ICW and Head East through the Barge Canal, cross Banana river and go through the lock at the West side of the Port and ride right through to Jetty Park and exit back in to the Atlantic and stay South of the line. After the launch you could stay ocean side and head straight up back to St Aug. As long as you brought enough fuel or topped off at the Port.

Not that there is anything wrong with that trip, a handful of pleasure boaters enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#48]
2 Hours to launch, getting ready to button it up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

View Quote

Liftoff at 10:52:15 a.m. EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top