Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2024 10:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66]
I went to Flite Fest 2024 for a little while today.   No intention of flying, mostly just to get some stuff at the store, and watch some events   Didnt see any of the giant olanes fly though this year.  Got a couple of the powerpacks for the "master series" WWII fighters.  these were designed by an arfcommer, i think he went by the handle Splinter189 (maybe the numbers are wrong).   But I don't recall seeing him post much here either lately (or the flite test forum, or RCGroups).   Got one of the last F-18 kits, i think he was laser cutting the jets at his shop in Missouri, and he has moved on to other things.  They still sell some of his WWII fighter designs though, which FT may do themselves at their facility in nearby Minerva OH.

It was really hot there.   Though I didnt see anyones hot melt glued foam models fall apart from being too hot.

Got a little bit of video of the mass combat from Saturday morning.   Unfortunately I missed getting video of the bizarre upside down helicopter trash can thing.   Saw it briefly in the air early in the combat, while riding in a shuttle cart from the parking area (lots more people than previous years I think), but by the time I walked to where I had a clear view of the flightline, it was down.  Don't know if it was "shot down" or just lots control.   The heli blades were big, more like ceiling fan sized, and the central part was also big, maybe like a round trash can.  Not sure what its means of propulsion was, if it was the cieling fan blades, or maybe a quadcopter somewhere on it.

Flite Fest air combat partial segment 6/22/24

There were people from all over there.   I think there were 10-12 nations flags , apparently representing where the guests this year were coming from.   Lots of germans(?)  working as volunteers today, well definitely northern eurpean accents - they were all speaking english
They allowed more people to camp this year.   Lots of RVs and trailers.   There were a few crazy people tent camping.  Maybe they like sleeping in hot stagnant humid air?
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, I am jelly.  My son loves Flite Test and wants to go to Flite Fest in the worst way.  Just a long drive for us.  

There was a long thread on here about the Master Series.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 2:51:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
I went to Flite Fest 2024 for a little while today.   No intention of flying, mostly just to get some stuff at the store, and watch some events   Didnt see any of the giant olanes fly though this year.  Got a couple of the powerpacks for the "master series" WWII fighters.  these were designed by an arfcommer, i think he went by the handle Splinter189 (maybe the numbers are wrong).   But I don't recall seeing him post much here either lately (or the flite test forum, or RCGroups).   Got one of the last F-18 kits, i think he was laser cutting the jets at his shop in Missouri, and he has moved on to other things.  They still sell some of his WWII fighter designs though, which FT may do themselves at their facility in nearby Minerva OH.

It was really hot there.   Though I didnt see anyones hot melt glued foam models fall apart from being too hot.

Got a little bit of video of the mass combat from Saturday morning.   Unfortunately I missed getting video of the bizarre upside down helicopter trash can thing.   Saw it briefly in the air early in the combat, while riding in a shuttle cart from the parking area (lots more people than previous years I think), but by the time I walked to where I had a clear view of the flightline, it was down.  Don't know if it was "shot down" or just lots control.   The heli blades were big, more like ceiling fan sized, and the central part was also big, maybe like a round trash can.  Not sure what its means of propulsion was, if it was the cieling fan blades, or maybe a quadcopter somewhere on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SltTGtV60ds

There were people from all over there.   I think there were 10-12 nations flags , apparently representing where the guests this year were coming from.   Lots of germans(?)  working as volunteers today, well definitely northern eurpean accents - they were all speaking english
They allowed more people to camp this year.   Lots of RVs and trailers.   There were a few crazy people tent camping.  Maybe they like sleeping in hot stagnant humid air?
View Quote

I wish I had seen this sooner, we were there in our RV.

My son ended up with the camera crew following him for two days. It was a great time but damn it was hot, I don’t know folks tent-camped.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some videos out now by the guy who built the cieling fan thing.

I made a GIANT flying ceiling fan (and battled 100 airplanes)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top