Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2024 12:51:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heavily_armed]
Looking at this floor covering for a small bathroom project.

https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/vinyl-flooring/vinyl-plank-flooring/shaw-reg-claremont-12-x-24-01-floating-luxury-vinyl-tile-flooring-18-02-sq-ft-ctn/mr33305211/p-1642874287839313-c-6617.htm

Any experience out there? YT vids make install look easy.

Shaw Floor Floorté Pro Series 6 Flooring Install

Does this stuff signal "super cheap" if you saw it on a house your were looking to buy?

They call it "floating" so what happens if you tack it down in a few spots with thin adhesive, like silicon caulk? I understand avoiding large globs of adhesive that would be uneven.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I think 90% of the vinyl lvp products out there are subpar quality. It’s a throw away floor at the end of the day, sure they can say 25 year warranty, but how long have they even been in business. You can crap in a box and mark it guaranteed, that just means it’s guaranteed shit.

A small room really doesn’t matter too much, but a whole house it can be a frustrating mess with a failing floor. Like drop a kitchen knife from counter height and see what damage a vinyl floor takes, then realize you can’t fix it without tearing half the house apart to get to it, if you can. Then you really can’t reuse the stuff you take out because it’s weakened on the tongue and grooves that hold it together, so your putting in new flooring anyway
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the pepsi challenge with LVP, real hardwood flooring, and the in-between.  The testing included sitting for a week in my salt water swimming pool and getting smacked with steel bar stock in my garage.

As long as you don't get bamboo or anything dirt cheap, LVP won in all my functional testing.  It survived submerged in the salt water for a week without splitting or swelling.  Once it dried, it was exactly like it was before going in.  And it was the most resistant to scratching and denting.

The downside is that once it does scratch, you aren't resurfacing it.   Its ugly forever.

Link Posted: 7/15/2024 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
We’ve had Pergo wetprotect timbercraft on our floors for 6 years and it’s been basically bulletproof.

3 dogs, 4 kids, uneven subfloor - no problems.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots to go over here, thanks
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
We’ve had Pergo wetprotect timbercraft on our floors for 6 years and it’s been basically bulletproof.

3 dogs, 4 kids, uneven subfloor - no problems.
View Quote

Installing that now.
Vet I work for has 2 rooms with some home depot brand not sure what. Mopped 6 days a week no scratches. One floor has a screw head coming up from sub floor. I think a lot has changed over the years with the quality of these floors.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used the Lifeproof LVP from Home Depot several times.  Actually put it in my house.  Get the 22 mil, not the 8 mil.  I've had it in my office for 5 years.  Zero issues. I do not have a protector for my desk chair and no scratches.  Great stuff.  Very little maintenance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 2:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#8]
Porcelain is roughly the same cost, unless there are some limiting factors to your install.  No doubts about durability and water resistance when you go that route.

Yes, LVP is a red flag for cheap.  The only things worse are hollow sounding floating floors and saltillo tiles. If I found that crap in a house I was looking to buy, and I walk through models and open houses all the time, I would consider the demo and replacement into my offer, or just run away.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Just did a whole house, roughly 2,000 square feet in Home Depot LifeProof luxury vinyl plank and I was pretty impressed with the quality.  It was recommended by a professional that does hardwood floors for a living.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:34:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#10]
Floating floors are great if you have a smooth flat surface to put them on. Little low spots that make the floor flex when walked on will lead to failed planks. If there are spots that feel like there's an air bubble under the planks, you'll have problems eventually. As with everything, surface prep is key.

The PVC stuff like Lifeproof is great for laundry rooms and kitchens. Impervious to water, durable, and can be good looking in the higher end finishes.

Floating floors are not supposed to be glued down - at all. Gluing will give no advantage, but it will cause the natural expansion and contraction to be uneven across the floor. Install with the proper clearances around the wall, then add shoe or baseboard, and you're done.

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
They call it "floating" so what happens if you tack it down in a few spots with thin adhesive, like silicon caulk? I understand avoiding large globs of adhesive that would be uneven.
View Quote
DON"T stick it down with anything!!! It has to 'float' freely to allow for expansion/contraction. If some spots don't move, it'll buckle up and be completely ruined!
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve got 1800 sqft of lvp that needs to get
Torn out and replaced.  

It’s all buckled and is failing is only 4 years old.

Previous owner installed it with additional foam under it( too much foam is bad) and didn’t leave expansion room around the edges/ buoy a kitchen island on top of it.  

It’s buckling everywhere and breaking.

Im normally a diy guy.  But im going to pay the big flooring store intern to install replacement correctly so I don’t have to worry about it again. It will be on the.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#13]
I am doing LVP in our house we just bought.  The previous owners had already done about a third of it in Lifeproof 22 mil from HD.  It’s not that bad.  We are on a concrete slab and this just made sense.

If I had wood subfloors I would be doing 3/4” hardwood plank.  Real wood is just better, but for the floor type we have and the short duration we are here, LVP made sense.  Our realtor said that unless it’s a high end home, quality LVP is actually a selling point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I think that the old fashioned cork based linoleum (NOT modern PVC based sheet flooring) is much better than 90% of the floating floors. Has the same weak point of gouged by dropped metal tools, but as it's 100% glued down there are no problems with buckling or getting gaps against the walls due to the needed expansion/contraction room in large rooms. Totally waterproof and available in hundreds of colors, patterns etc. Still needs to be laid properly, and any seams required can be problems if not done correctly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I did an entire house in Lifeproof LVP from HD. It was an easy install and very durable. I did eventually develop some cracking a couple years later with an office chair that's used daily (I work from home), so I'd recommend using a mat if you're going to have a similar situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top