Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2019 9:08:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I make my own by the gallons and freeze it (except for refilling the bottles that I use) - it lasts a long long long time in the freezer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Whichever one I have doesn’t last long enough to go bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, back when I was a poor county worker plowing snow I came in from plowing (about 4 hours on shift) one morning at about 4am.  The road foreman had cooked bacon and eggs for us to grab when we were filling up and taking a coffee break.

I felt the eggs needed spiced up, and found a bottle of tobasco sauce in the back of the fridge.  Put it on my eggs, and ate them, tasted great.  While I was eating I noticed that the label on the Tobasco sauce looked a bit different, so I picked it up to examine the bottle.  It had an expiration date of July 1981.

I was eating it in 2009.  

So, apparently at least 28 years?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
1 small bottle would last me the rest of this life time, and the next.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, back when I was a poor county worker plowing snow I came in from plowing (about 4 hours on shift) one morning at about 4am.  The road foreman had cooked bacon and eggs for us to grab when we were filling up and taking a coffee break.

I felt the eggs needed spiced up, and found a bottle of tobasco sauce in the back of the fridge.  Put it on my eggs, and ate them, tasted great.  While I was eating I noticed that the label on the Tobasco sauce looked a bit different, so I picked it up to examine the bottle.  It had an expiration date of July 1981.

I was eating it in 2009.  

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whichever one I have doesn’t last long enough to go bad.
View Quote
^This^
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have found old bottles in the fridge where it appears the lid wasn't on tight and it dried out. Just add a bit of water and shake. I would say could last longer than I will live.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was eating it in 2009.  

https://i.imgflip.com/2vif5x.jpg
LOL - how long you been waiting to use that one...
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a signed bottle of Blair's that is about 20 years old.  Still sealed though.  Hope it is still good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask Steve 1989
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Visited the ironclad USS Cairo dredged out of the Mississippi back in the early 1960s near Vicksburg, and in the findings there were bottles of hot sauce the crew had in stores during the Civil War. It was the first command detonated torpedo sinking and the crew had just enough time to walk off the deck into the water. The museum has most of the onboard complement of arms, edged weapons, sea chests, silverware, etc.

Modern scientists being curious, they sampled a bottle of the hot sauce and it was still good. 100 years.

In other news, people still trade in rare whiskey that old.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
my bottles never last long enough to care about expiration dates, I put that sh!t on everything
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably centuries if it is vinegar based and kept air tight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Depending on storage conditions 3-5 years open 10 years unopened. After that flavor and consistency can certainly change.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#15]
If I have a bottle that has turned color I’ll toss it out.  It might still be edible but it’s not that expensive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top