Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What was so bad about the Maverick? It was basically the same as the Falcon. I drove a Grabber with a 302 and a 3 speed floor shift for a few months. It was pretty quick.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Diesel or gas... wouldn't matter to me.  I would buy one.
View Quote

I might consider buying a gas version if you could disable any stop/start or variable displacement shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Would strongly consider as a replacement for my Taco when my lease is done at the end of next year.

I have a proper regular cab 8 foot Sierra I use for truck things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would strongly consider as a replacement for my Taco when my lease is done at the end of next year.

I have a proper regular cab 8 foot Sierra I use for truck things.
View Quote

My 06 Prerunner is closing in on 300K
Looking hard at these
tied of 18mpg
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What was so bad about the Maverick? It was basically the same as the Falcon. I drove a Grabber with a 302 and a 3 speed floor shift for a few months. It was pretty quick.
View Quote

Compared to the other compacts on the market at the time, it was a cramped, rough-riding, poor-handling shitbox that got mediocre fuel economy.

The Dodge/Plymouth compacts were superior in every way.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]

How's that color look in person? Looks good on the screen.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Ohh hey look, Lemon party grey.
That ought to match the color of someone's walker handles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Virtually every manufacturer is putting pastel grey on their vehicles now.

I think they all look like hot garbage, but apparently some people like it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:04:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Shit's blue, yo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:42:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Shit's blue, yo.
View Quote

Yeah, obviously blue. That color is called "Area 51". The lack of colors or the up charge for different ones is disappointing. This would look great in metallic olive green or bright nonmetallic red.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How's that color look in person? Looks good on the screen.
View Quote

It looks good in person. I was there and I saw that exact truck--and the Luftwaffe A400 behind it, and, just out of frame, the AH-64D, the A-10C, the F-15C... (That pic's from the EAA Airventure show this week)

In the sunlight it looks like a grayish blue. Pretty nice, subdued color.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems like it is just a rumor now, but in the past hybrid versions of the escape and fusion were pretty scarce on lots.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41794/the-cheap-hybrid-ford-maverick-wont-be-stocked-at-dealerships-report

As reported on the Maverick Truck Club forums, the Blue Oval is not only making the production of the more expensive 2.0-liter Mavericks a priority, the Dearborn automaker will also only send hybrid-powered models to dealerships if a customer orders them. That means if you want a cheapo 191-horsepower Maverick, well, you're gonna have to ask for it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seems like it is just a rumor now, but in the past hybrid versions of the escape and fusion were pretty scarce on lots.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41794/the-cheap-hybrid-ford-maverick-wont-be-stocked-at-dealerships-report

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As reported on the Maverick Truck Club forums, the Blue Oval is not only making the production of the more expensive 2.0-liter Mavericks a priority, the Dearborn automaker will also only send hybrid-powered models to dealerships if a customer orders them. That means if you want a cheapo 191-horsepower Maverick, well, you're gonna have to ask for it.

It's going to be one of those things where nobody knows to order one and then Ford complains that none sold. I will never understand how it all works. I think I would have only offered the hybrid setup at first and made sure AWD was an option.

I also would have had a standard cab or at least a super cab option with a longer bed
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Apparently Ford wants to move to a built-to-order system ala Tesla vs. the old dealership model of shoving a bunch of random vehicles on a lot and strapping cash to the hood when something doesn't move.  It makes a lot of sense and customers will be less reluctant to crack their wallets if they can get exactly what they want vs. settling.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, I'd want the eco boost anyway. 250 hp on a small truck is pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw this today at a customer site and thought of this thread.   Trucks have grown a lot I just never realized how much.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe it will be as good as the TV Series
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If given my choice of either of those trucks I'm going Datsun 100%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw this today at a customer site and thought of this thread.   Trucks have grown a lot I just never realized how much.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67501/20210803_075628_01_jpg-2038804.JPG

If given my choice of either of those trucks I'm going Datsun 100%

If they are free I'm taking the other one. The Datsun is the configuration I wish they would offer. Good visual representation of how much longer of a bed you can have with a standard cab.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys aren't catching me dead in that Datsun.

Not that the Silverado (I think? Tail light says yes but other shit makes me wonder) tickles my fancy either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not that the Silverado (I think? Tail light says yes but other shit makes me wonder) tickles my fancy either.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Mainly because it's an old Datsun. Other than that, just too small (interior wise) for my tastes. Even the 90's/early 00's Rangers and S10's were a touch on the small side in my opinion. And it's not like I'm a massive guy or anything. I have family and friends who are and when I see them get into something less than a full size truck I can see why they don't like mid sized trucks but I'm perfectly comfy in my Canyon.

I've worn a little Datsun like a suit of armor before, I don't want to do it again Even though this Maverick is a compact truck by today's standards, it looks like it's a lot more similar in size to my gen 1 Canyon/Colorado or a 90's/00's Ranger/S10 and that's right where I want to be for minimum size.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Lariat trim has the acoustic windshield. I am glad that automakers are starting to pay attention to cabin noise.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The owner's manual has been released so people are digging through it for some info.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/%F0%9F%93%98-2022-ford-maverick-owners-manual-download-pdf-inside.1129/

There is this bit in there about the AWD, I guess Ford wants to have the ability to deny warranty claims for people who abuse their vehicles off-roading.

HOW DOES ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WORK - EXCLUDING: FX4 OFF ROAD Your all-wheel drive vehicle is not intended for off-road use. The AWD feature gives your vehicle some limited off-road capabilities in which driving surfaces are relatively level, obstruction-free and otherwise similar to normal on-road driving conditions. Operating your vehicle in conditions other than those, could subject the vehicle to excess stress which might result in damage which is not covered under your warranty.

HOW DOES ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WORK - FX4 OFF ROAD All-wheel drive uses all four wheels to power the vehicle. This increases traction, enabling you to drive over terrain and road conditions that a conventional two-wheel drive vehicle cannot. The AWD system turns on when needed and does not require input from you.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Or they're just pointing out the obvious that standard AWD isn't for offroad.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

They would sell millions dozens every year
View Quote

fixed it for you. it doesn't exist because it doesn't sell. contrary to GD wisdom no one who is spending money a car made within the last 10 years actually wants to give up the vast quality of life improvements like a seatbelts, a windshield, or even a backup cam that have come standard in kia's for a decade now. this is clearly evidenced by the fact not even the misers in GD who pride themselves on driving a 40 year old honda are buying new base model fiats.

like it or not car manufacturers cater to people who buy new and lightly used cars, not poors who buy 25 year models.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

fixed it for you. it doesn't exist because it doesn't sell. contrary to GD wisdom no one who is spending money a car made within the last 10 years actually wants to give up the vast quality of life improvements like a seatbelts, a windshield, or even a backup cam that have come standard in kia's for a decade now. this is clearly evidenced by the fact not even the misers in GD who pride themselves on driving a 40 year old honda are buying new base model fiats.

like it or not car manufacturers cater to people who buy new and lightly used cars, not poors who buy 25 year models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

They would sell millions dozens every year

I sure am glad you could clear that up for us 13 pages later. It was a joke.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder what's different in the FX4 that they exclude it?  The only thing that seems unique is they include skid plates, tow hooks and some electronics for additional "driving modes".   You get the heavy duty radiator/fan with the towing package, too.   Sure smells like ass covering.

In fairness, if you are serious about off roading this isn't the vehicle you want anyway.   All I'd want the AWD for is to help keep from getting stuck in snow or perhaps soft ground, but not rock hopping.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wonder what's different in the FX4 that they exclude it?  The only thing that seems unique is they include skid plates, tow hooks and some electronics for additional "driving modes".   You get the heavy duty radiator/fan with the towing package, too.   Sure smells like ass covering.

In fairness, if you are serious about off roading this isn't the vehicle you want anyway.   All I'd want the AWD for is to help keep from getting stuck in snow or perhaps soft ground, but not rock hopping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. One thing that really beats up AWD cars doing actual offroad stuff is the heat from everything slipping. The modern systems work pretty good for street driving but people love pushing the envelope on stuff. A slight gear change and better cooling capacity helps with towing and offroading but it's still not made for it.

I was always a big fan of the Subaru AWD in the manual cars. My understanding was that it was a much simpler mechanical awd. We had a couple Mazda Protege's that felt similar and I'm told the Audi setup was right there as well. They had a great feel in the snow and ice and were very predictable to me. Also much more accepting of a tail out driving style.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Exactly. One thing that really beats up AWD cars doing actual offroad stuff is the heat from everything slipping. The modern systems work pretty good for street driving but people love pushing the envelope on stuff. A slight gear change and better cooling capacity helps with towing and offroading but it's still not made for it.

I was always a big fan of the Subaru AWD in the manual cars. My understanding was that it was a much simpler mechanical awd. We had a couple Mazda Protege's that felt similar and I'm told the Audi setup was right there as well. They had a great feel in the snow and ice and were very predictable to me. Also much more accepting of a tail out driving style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the AWD in my wife's 1st gen Escape was a viscous clutch setup and AWD donuts in a snowy parking lot would make it smell funny real fast.

It did fine for the light offroading we did, but I suppose it could have been damaging slightly also. No matter how you look at it the system just isn't robust like traditional transfer case and offroading is going to stress components more than on road. Find yourself off road in a situation where that clutch is going to slip a lot and it won't take much to burn it up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67501/20210803_075628_01_jpg-2038804.JPG
View Quote

A current half ton pickup dwarfs my 1990 Chevy 3500 1 ton.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Been watching youtube vids on the mav. Was wondering why they dont and wont offer a single or super cab version with a longer bed.

Was explained how the unibody construction of the 4dr is what provides the rigidity needed for its towing/hauling rating. A smaller cab would require a complete redesign or a body on frame. Something about how the rear of the cab and the front of the bed are untegrated to create a structural pillar in the center that keeps the body from folding like a taco.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I know the AWD in my wife's 1st gen Escape was a viscous clutch setup and AWD donuts in a snowy parking lot would make it smell funny real fast.

It did fine for the light offroading we did, but I suppose it could have been damaging slightly also. No matter how you look at it the system just isn't robust like traditional transfer case and offroading is going to stress components more than on road. Find yourself off road in a situation where that clutch is going to slip a lot and it won't take much to burn it up.
View Quote

Yeah, all it's gonna do is help keep you from getting stuck in slow or light mud.   I doubt the suspension or other components are really made for much more than that.   You could probably do some light trails provided they are fairly smooth but beyond that you are going to want actual four wheel drive.   Still, it's more than enough for most people.   It will be for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Because it won't sell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been watching youtube vids on the mav. Was wondering why they dont and wont offer a single or super cab version with a longer bed.

Because it won't sell.

I'm not sure that's true at this point being it would be the only thing in its category. I understand the 4 door is the much more popular option but Ford Toyota Chevy and Nissan all offer them in the bigger trucks so some obviously sell. As a fleet or delivery rig it would be fine and in a small truck might actually be a better fit than a Ranger/Colorado whatever.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, all it's gonna do is help keep you from getting stuck in slow or light mud.   I doubt the suspension or other components are really made for much more than that.   You could probably do some light trails provided they are fairly smooth but beyond that you are going to want actual four wheel drive.   Still, it's more than enough for most people.   It will be for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure the design philosophy will be similar to that 1st gen Escape. Meaning you essentially had something designed around the same kind of robustness as a Focus but packaged in something that was a bit more "sport utility." Fire roads, mild two track, and inclement weather are where it's designed to be an improvement over the Focus but it's not going to be like a XJ or Ranger or S10/Colorado where you could daily drive it through those scenarios without much thought. You just aren't going to build something robust and hit that price point and fuel economy.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the wife's Escape. It drove great on road and when I occasionally took it hunting or camping it never gave me any issue going through creeks, pushing through snow drifts that were headlight height, or climbing up a steep rutted two track. It's just not the right tool for the job if that kind of thing is going to be frequent, and even with infrequent use you're still risking finding it's design limit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Here are a couple real world pics showing the size differences of the Maverick, Ranger, and F150.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks like a good size. Now they just need full 3d comparisons with the older Ranger and F150
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#41]
^Yep.

They are going to sell a metric butt-load of them!

ETA: I would also expect them to be hugely popular in Mexico and many overseas markets.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Looks like a good size. Now they just need full 3d comparisons with the older Ranger and F150
View Quote

Well here is the Ranger. The Maverick seems to split the difference.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#43]
The way they build shit anymore, I bet the old Ranger has more interior room.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The way they build shit anymore, I bet the old Ranger has more interior room.
View Quote

See I'd think the opposite. The older Rangers didn't have much room at all. I had trouble driving the manual equipped ones. My buddy had a B3000 with a little CB mounted to where I could barely move my left leg to drive.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#45]
From a couple pages back the Maverick is supposed to have similar interior room to the current gen Ranger.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-ranger-spec-comparison/

But in terms of roominess, it's comparable to the new Ranger, only lacking a bit in terms of front headroom. Otherwise, it's solidly on par-comparing SuperCrew Ranger to Maverick like-to-like, the Maverick has a rear legroom and rear headroom advantage. In total, the Maverick has 100.3 cubic feet of passenger volume to the 97.6 cubes of the Ranger SuperCrew.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
From a couple pages back the Maverick is supposed to have similar interior room to the current gen Ranger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

But in terms of roominess, it's comparable to the new Ranger, only lacking a bit in terms of front headroom. Otherwise, it's solidly on par-comparing SuperCrew Ranger to Maverick like-to-like, the Maverick has a rear legroom and rear headroom advantage. In total, the Maverick has 100.3 cubic feet of passenger volume to the 97.6 cubes of the Ranger SuperCrew.

Wow. Amazed they let it be that close.

The Bronco Sport and Maverick are going to be big.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I get that part off it is that they just don't let you put your kids crammed in the middle of a bench seat anymore, but I wish regular cabs were more of a thing still. Not for everyone, but at least as an option.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Was explained how the unibody construction of the 4dr is what provides the rigidity needed for its towing/hauling rating. A smaller cab would require a complete redesign or a body on frame. Something about how the rear of the cab and the front of the bed are untegrated to create a structural pillar in the center that keeps the body from folding like a taco.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Should make a mustang with a truck bed.

Did Ford ever have their version of an El Camino?
View Quote

Of course they did . . . the Ford Ranchero

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that's true at this point being it would be the only thing in its category. I understand the 4 door is the much more popular option but Ford Toyota Chevy and Nissan all offer them in the bigger trucks so some obviously sell. As a fleet or delivery rig it would be fine and in a small truck might actually be a better fit than a Ranger/Colorado whatever.
View Quote

They made the ranger too big IMO.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top