Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/17/2023 9:06:38 PM EDT
https://www.theepochtimes.com/billionaire-warns-hollywood-faces-absolute-collapse-if-strike-isnt-resolved_5402178.html

If you somehow haven't heard:

On July 14, a number of top movie and TV actors joined picket lines alongside screenwriters on the first full day of a walkout that has become Hollywood’s biggest labor fight in decades. It’s the first double-barreled strike by actors and screenwriters in more than six decades.

The two guilds have similar issues with studios and streaming services. They’re concerned about contracts keeping up with inflation and about residual payments, which compensate creators and actors for the use of their material beyond the original airing, such as in reruns or on streaming services. The unions also want to put up guardrails against the use of artificial intelligence mimicking their work on film and television.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents employers including Disney, Netflix, Amazon, and others, has lamented the walkout, saying it’ll hurt thousands of workers in industries that support film and television production.

Now the title bit:
Mr. Diller, a former Paramount Pictures CEO, said on July 16 that the situation could compound if not resolved quickly.

“These conditions will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry,” he told CBS News.

“I would call for a September 1 deadline. There’s a strike deadline. I think there should be a settlement deadline, because unless it happens by September 1 … The truth is, this is a huge business both domestically and for world export.

“These conditions will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry.”

However, a settlement in the near future appears unlikely, he said. There’s “no trust between the parties,” and there are “existential issues” including the rise of AI, which is “overhyped to death,” Mr. Diller said.

“Writers will get assisted, not replaced,” he said. “Most of these actual performing crafts, I don’t think they are in danger of artificial intelligence.”

Mr. Diller also said that some writers’ and actors’ claims that top media executives are overpaid are also overblown.

“You have the actors union, saying, ‘How dare these 10 people who run these companies earn all this money and won’t pay us?’ While if you look at it on the other side, the top 10 actors get paid more than the top 10 executives. I’m not saying either is right. Actually, everybody’s probably overpaid at the top end,” he told the outlet.

My thoughts ...

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I am OK with that
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Group buy?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could be ok with it.
There's just a lot of little people that are going to get fucked too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Fpni
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Collateral damage.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's throw some UPS drivers and FedEx pilots onto it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Adios MFs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's just a lot of little people that are going to get        too.
View Quote

There are.

They (ETA:The ACTORS and people striking, not the rest of the people who aren't a part of it!)   have decided that instead of just screwing us and screwing the culture at large, they're going to screw themselves over.

They have been so openly and flagrantly hateful of people not like them for so long that ... I do feel that it's bad thatthe grips, electricians, etc. who work there and make it possible are getting the short end of the stick ... but ... I mean, the industry is so bad and such a bad influence that I don't think of that as something that would make me want to keep that system going.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
“Oh no! …… anyway…”
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really easy for people to lose sight of this.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Well
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Be cool if he wasn’t just looking for attention. That’s one industry (is that really an industry?) who’s collapse would be good for America.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
A good opportunity for AI to take over a industry
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Would we ba able to tell the difference?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn’t the little people vote to strike?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#18]
This is bad news?
OR
Why is this news?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#19]
That’s a real shame.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Hollywood could use a complete collapse, followed by a rebuild with conservatives running the show and influencing the minds of viewers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Same thing that they said to the coal miners and pipeline workers that got cut. “Learn to code” or “Retrain to work in the solar power industry”.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

The dark humor explanation:

Sir, I'm calling to tell you your ferrari was found at the bottom of a ravine totally destroyed.

OH NO!

Also, your mother in law was driving the car...

(silence on the line)
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I just wanna watch Deadpool 3 I don't really care about the rest of the crap.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't this same shit happen about every 4 or 5 years and we always hear about how we're gonna all die because of it?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#26]
You mean no more Fast and Furious in space? Noooooooooo
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Good
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Well the good news is they will have plenty of free time to sit through their shitty movies and tv shows .
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's just a lot of little people that are going to get      too.

https://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2023/07/wgaf.html

Friday, July 14, 2023
WGAF?

When I still worked in the biz, I lost an entire series' employment to the last writer's strike. Six month's slam-dunk income. And 95% of SAG-AFTRA aren't actors, and haven't been for years, they're washing cars and waiting tables, and never even work enough to make their medical benefit requirement in any year. Yet are still allowed to vote on whether all 160K members will strike. (And most actors good enough to become "producers", thus the ones having exactly the most to lose by going on strike, aren't allowed to vote on that. Spasibo, comrades.) But those unemployed        are also            with the livelihoods of 200,000-400,000 working class people behind the camera with few other options (not a lot of work for grips, for example, outside the biz, except at moving companies, but without them on set, the movie doesn't happen), because the precious above-the-line primadonnas "don't make enough" when they do work. How oppressive. And they're doing it just as TV shows go back into production, and this summer's movies would be getting made, for release next summer. So they're screwing the entire town, and the entire industry, at the height of the working year for Hollywood.     them all sideways, with a rusty chainsaw. Brighter lights might have noticed that the 299M people in this country outside their bubble don't give a wet fart for them, and they'd take a good deal, and continue working. But that would be easy.

First they're going to spend all this season home choking their chickens, and then they're going to wake up one day and realize they strangled the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of high-functioning autistic retards.
Posted by Aesop at 6:21?AM

When I still worked in the biz, I lost an entire series' employment to the last writer's strike. Six month's slam-dunk income. And 95% of SAG-AFTRA aren't actors, and haven't been for years, they're washing cars and waiting tables, and never even work enough to make their medical benefit requirement in any year. Yet are still allowed to vote on whether all 160K members will strike. (And most actors good enough to become "producers", thus the ones having exactly the most to lose by going on strike, aren't allowed to vote on that. Spasibo, comrades.) But those unemployed        are also            with the livelihoods of 200,000-400,000 working class people behind the camera with few other options

ETA: I can never tell when the quote fold isn't going to work.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Let them fight.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Unbreak my heart

Quoted:
View Quote

Imagining the 5th Largest economy in the world taking a shit is something folks really aren't emotionally prepared to comprehend.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Congress and the president should force a shitty agreement on them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#34]
FieldofFucks.jpg
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A good opportunity for AI to take over a industry
View Quote
Salma Hayek rages | Black Mirror | S06E01

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#37]
who would even care?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There are.

They have decided that instead of just screwing us and screwing the culture at large, they're going to screw themselves over.

They have been so openly and flagrantly hateful of people not like them for so long that ... I do feel that it's bad thatthe grips, electricians, etc. who work there and make it possible are getting the short end of the stick ... but ... I mean, the industry is so bad and such a bad influence that I don't think of that as something that would make me want to keep that system going.
View Quote

Those people have technical skills and will be fine. Unlike, say, a grown up who is only skilled at pretend.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Same thing that they said to the coal miners and pipeline workers that got cut. "Learn to code" or "Retrain to work in the solar power industry".
View Quote
The actors can learn to be HVAC techs and plumbers
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#41]
DOOM
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I couldn't care less. Honestly it would be an improvement.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Those people have technical skills and will be fine. Unlike, say, a grown up who is only skilled at pretend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are.

They have decided that instead of just screwing us and screwing the culture at large, they're going to screw themselves over.

And sounding meaningful when they say things they don't believe, good at reading crowds and scripts ...

they could run for office.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Actors best be careful. CGI could replace them. Or maybe AI
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
DOOM
View Quote

Nah.

More like wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Couldn't happen to a more deserving set of folks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#49]
What does a screenwriter do?  Everything today is a rehash of yesterday and they've clearly run out of ideas.

I'm sure Beijing will be there to takeover. i already see them in some of the film credits.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Unbreak my heart

Imagining the 5th Largest economy in the world taking a shit is something folks really aren't emotionally prepared to comprehend.

https://y.yarn.co/27093c4c-5f8b-47ea-a3d1-f2041cee820c_text.gif
View Quote

Epic use of meme!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top