Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2021 2:37:45 PM EDT
Study: Smaller cars may be why crashes injure women more

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-charlotte-injuries-ae539580f0bde2d7d2b3989857cdfd02

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)  The smaller, lighter vehicles that women more often drive, and the types of crashes they get into, may explain why they are much more likely to suffer a serious injury in a collision than men, a new study published Thursday found.
Researchers from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group supported by auto insurers, looked into whether there was some sort of gender bias in the research into vehicle crashes or whether body type had anything to do with the injuries.
They analyzed injuries of men and women in police-reported tow-away front and side crashes from 1998 to 2015. Among the findings were that in front crashes, women were three times as likely to experience a broken bone, concussion or other moderate injury, and twice as likely to suffer a serious one like a collapsed lung or traumatic brain injury.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll keep my 9.3 mpg, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, they're called Bro-Dozers for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Uh, cool.

My truck usually gets about 17 MPG around town. I am about to order one that will get 14-15.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Study: Smaller cars may be why crashes injure women more

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-charlotte-injuries-ae539580f0bde2d7d2b3989857cdfd02

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)  The smaller, lighter vehicles that women more often drive, and the types of crashes they get into, may explain why they are much more likely to suffer a serious injury in a collision than men, a new study published Thursday found.
Researchers from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group supported by auto insurers, looked into whether there was some sort of gender bias in the research into vehicle crashes or whether body type had anything to do with the injuries.
They analyzed injuries of men and women in police-reported tow-away front and side crashes from 1998 to 2015. Among the findings were that in front crashes, women were three times as likely to experience a broken bone, concussion or other moderate injury, and twice as likely to suffer a serious one like a collapsed lung or traumatic brain injury.

View Quote

Anyone want to bet the "type of crash" is generally pulling out into oncoming traffic and getting plowed; or running lights.....and getting plowed?

Women around here seem to do this with regularity.

ETA: Oh and single vehicle accidents on side roads, running off the road while on the cellphone while at 55+

ETA2:  from the article:: (oh and I live that in THIS case, there are physical differences between men and women)  
“The numbers indicate that women more often drive smaller, lighter cars and that they’re more likely than men to be driving the struck vehicle in side-impact and front-into-rear crashes,” said Jessica Jermakian, IIHS vice president of vehicle research, in a statement. “Once you account for that, the difference in the odds of most injuries narrows dramatically.”

Women were also much more likely to suffer leg injuries compared to men, which may require car safety researchers to start building crash test dummies that account more for the physical differences between women and men, the researchers noted.

I am going to make a logic leap.....  To be hit in the side, I am going to say that 80% of the time, the person that gets hit in the side is the at-fault driver.

-Making left turns in front of oncoming traffic
-Pulling onto the roadway in front of oncoming traffic
-Entering an intersection improperly / failure to yield (running a light, stopsign or even thinking it is your turn to go, when the rules of the road clearly dictate it is not)
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Really?  Because all the soccer moms I know drive SUVs and frankly I'm not replacing my Honda Fit anything larger than a medium sedan or wagon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone want to bet the "type of crash" is generally pulling out into oncoming traffic and getting plowed; or running lights.....and getting plowed?

Women around here seem to do this with regularity.

ETA: Oh and single vehicle accidents on side roads, running off the road while on the cellphone while at 55+
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Around here they like to drive at night either with their high beams on all the time, or no lights on at all.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really?  Because all the soccer moms I know drive SUVs and frankly I'm not replacing my Honda Fit anything larger than a medium sedan or wagon.
View Quote

it isn't about the truth, it is about the issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Going to mod out the Sienna and call it a “Ho-dozer”
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Every day on my long commute to work, there’s a least one car that tries to kill me or other motorists.

9 times out of 10 the driver is a woman.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

Around here they like to drive at night either with their high beams on all the time, or no lights on at all.
View Quote

A large number of people probably believe this pretty symbol is the one that means the headlights are on: (around here is it old white people mostly, and POCs that do it)

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I see that there is no mention of transgenders in there, so I assume the science is settled on the fact that the non-binary gendered never get into accidents.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Couldn't have anything to do with being smaller and having lower bone density.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A large number of people probably believe this pretty symbol is the one that means the headlights are on: (around here is it old white people mostly, and POCs that do it)

https://drivesmartwarranty.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/high_beam_light_indicator_symbol.jpg
View Quote

Well you can't forget about the rule that if one of your headlights goes out, you have to drive around with your highbeams on until the other burns out before you replace anything
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
solution:  don't allow women to drive

MANY problems solved.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dude, they're called Bro-Dozers for a reason.
View Quote

Ho-Dozer? I'd nominate the Chebby Ta-Ho as the offishul vehicle to right this wrong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah... same here. My wife's vehicle weighs nearly twice what mine does.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
solution:  don't allow women to drive or vote

MANY problems solved.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Really?  Because all the soccer moms I know drive SUVs...
View Quote

My first thought too.

Along with “women tend to be smaller in height and weight than men, and thus more susceptible to injury in a crash like these.”
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My first thought too.

Along with “women tend to be smaller in height and weight than men, and thus more susceptible to injury in a crash like these.”
View Quote

And I am sure that bone strength and density have NOTHING to do with this:

women were three times as likely to experience a broken bone

MALE BONES ARE BIGGER AND STRONGER, in both size and density. Peak male bone mass is around 50% more than women’s, and women lose bone faster as we age. Black people have significantly stronger bones than whites: black women’s peak bone mass is the same as white men’s.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife is debating on a f350 with a camper shell or an expedition max.  No small cars here!
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll keep my 9.3 mpg, thanks.
View Quote

It's a good thing that gets a 20% mileage than the 8MPG vehicles that Obama hates.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably because they're doing their make up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top