Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2024 8:33:01 PM EDT
So a little over a year ago my wife bought a used Model X.  Until recently the only thing we've dealt with was the 12v battery going tits up.

Well 3ish weeks ago she drops me off to get my car out of the body shop and calls a couple minutes later to say her car was making a weird noise so she pulled over.   I get there and drive it and it makes a clunk when the suspension travels but otherwise so I have her drive my car and I limp hers home.  Jack it up and pull the tire to find a sheared off sway bar mount bolt.  So she calls Tesla to get an appointment, no problem there's an open appointment in 47 days.  Try to call service center in the morning, they don't open till ten in the morning even with a month and a half back log.  So finally get through and the guy tells her to say it's undrivable and to call Tesla roadside assistance which got the car there and fixed in 4 days.  

fast forward to today. I'm driving and I hit a small bump and there is a loud clunk and the air ride height inoperable alarm pops up.  Passenger front is riding low and pulling hard right.  She calls Tesla and tells them what happened to which they say " you hit something so it's not covered". My wife explains it was a bump on the road not an object or anything, still no tow truck is covered need to take it to a collision shop.   Apparently Teslas can't be driven on bumpy roads.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
wait till you try to take it through a car wash.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
wait till insurance company tells you its wear and tear and not covered.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a known issue. But when I told people that Tesla and Elon was full of shit they don't want to believe.

Musked
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
Its a known issue. But when I told people that Tesla and Elon was full of shit they don't want to believe.

Musked
View Quote
When I saw the way they did the sway bar mount I was stunned.   The bolt is several inches long and goes through at least two layers of sub frame and the sway bar bracket. Oddly enough after they fixed that some creaking the car used to do is gone.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm about to buy a used Model X. It sounds like other than this, it's been pretty good? Is this issue a big deal because the car broke, or because service was a pain?

I own a lot of Land Rovers, so I'm familiar with needy vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#7]
Originally Posted By 1literduceater:
I'm about to buy a used Model X. It sounds like other than this, it's been pretty good? Is this issue a big deal because the car broke, or because service was a pain?

View Quote

I'm in my 4th year with my Model X.  No major issues whatsoever.  One or two trivial things have come up like squeaks and the 12v battery dying (sorta expected, they only last about 3 years) and our local service center was awesome about getting us in and out quickly.

Way easier than dealing with my Ford dealership on service for my truck.  If I try to schedule service with them they "fit me in" a few weeks out and give me the absolute biggest piece of shit loaner they can find.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Do not buy a used EV, especially a Tesla. Your issues won't even be resolvable with money in some cases and the depreciation on them is completely different than ICE vehicles. At the end of life they are actually a liability rather than a pile of scrap/parts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
To me it's more that service is a pain. Shit breaks but 47 days till service is fucked.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]

EV thread!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Why I lease my vehicles
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the real world input.

I get it.

I've been trying to get an alignment on a suburban since last Friday. Due to the holiday the first available is tomorrow morning. It's just a front end alignment, I called 4 shops. This I why I keep buying tools that I'll use a hand full of times in my life.

This will be my first EV. Was there a big learning curve, or anything I need to know, or plan for other than the charger?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I mean I’ve dealt with shit like this from all the car brands over the years.  Recently we just with a Rear Diff on a new Peterbilt having a problem that the dealer was spouting some bullshit about even.

Shit even my Lexus LX570 back in the day they gave me problems over a fucked air ride.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the real world input.

I get it.

I've been trying to get an alignment on a suburban since last Friday. Due to the holiday the first available is tomorrow morning. It's just a front end alignment, I called 4 shops. This I why I keep buying tools that I'll use a hand full of times in my life.

This will be my first EV. Was there a big learning curve, or anything I need to know, or plan for other than the charger?
View Quote
No real learning curve.  Planning any road trip takes finesse. The car is great for hauling the kids around and my wife's commute is only 8 miles round trip so it made sense.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By NotAFudd:
I mean I've dealt with shit like this from all the car brands over the years.  Recently we just with a Rear Diff on a new Peterbilt having a problem that the dealer was spouting some bullshit about even.

Shit even my Lexus LX570 back in the day they gave me problems over a fucked air ride.
View Quote
I've never been quoted 47 days to get a service appointment
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
You knew how to handle this and failed. “It’s not drivable”

Then shut up and enjoy your quick repair.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fingas:
To me it's more that service is a pain. Shit breaks but 47 days till service is fucked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sounds pretty awesome compared to the four months Ford had a vehicle in for service (waiting on parts.)
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never been quoted 47 days to get a service appointment
View Quote

Hah! I was quoted that far out on a catastrophic failure recall on our Acura years ago, I think it might have been "At least 60 days before we have parts". All of the Takata airbag recalls for all brands were MINIMUM that far out, some were years. Had a couple like that on my Ford Edge too. Own enough cars, especially in today's world, and you'll get that or longer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#19]
No sir. I told her she can handle
dealing with the damn car she bought. She's quickly learning that you don't have to share everything.  She's an overly honest person but she's quickly learning to only give exactly what is needed as it pertains to details
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By VVinci:

Hah! I was quoted that far out on a catastrophic failure recall on our Acura years ago, I think it might have been "At least 60 days before we have parts". All of the Takata airbag recalls for all brands were MINIMUM that far out, some were years. Had a couple like that on my Ford Edge too. Own enough cars, especially in today's world, and you'll get that or longer.
View Quote
This wasn't a parts issue, this was 47 days to get in to figure out what parts are needed
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By woodsie:

I'm in my 4th year with my Model X.  No major issues whatsoever.  One or two trivial things have come up like squeaks and the 12v battery dying (sorta expected, they only last about 3 years) and our local service center was awesome about getting us in and out quickly.

Way easier than dealing with my Ford dealership on service for my truck.  If I try to schedule service with them they "fit me in" a few weeks out and give me the absolute biggest piece of shit loaner they can find.
View Quote

The local dealership that I bought my 2021 mustang Mach e from sucked, they had my car from months and didn't offer me a loner, I called Ford in Detroit and the very next day I had a brand new F-150 for a loaner at least. So now I drive an hour away to another Ford dealership to get my 2022 Mach e GT PE  serviced. I had it in there today for the 20,000 mile check up and they mentioned to me that it also needed a recall done on some software. It took me a little longer sitting in the waiting room but the entire bill for the 20,000 mile check up and tire rotation and having them do the software update was $29. That's the difference between having an electric car built by software people and electric car built by a car manufacturer. That in the difference between a s***** dealership and a good dealership.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top