Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2022 11:20:30 AM EDT
We recently began hosting some illegal immigrant Mice in our kitchen.
I placed some Peanut Butter on some Sustainably Sourced FSC Wood Snap Mouse Traps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R9DBWH6/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

We got two little youngsters right away, within minutes we heard the traps snap.

Then after a quick reset we set them out again . . .
Mom and Dad are way smarter though, they keep eating the Peanut Butter but the traps don't spring???
WTF???

Two Questions:
1. How in the name of whoever do they manage to eat the Peanut Butter and not spring the trap? I'm telling you, the traps are licked clean and look as if never used!

2. How can I out smart these nasty unwanted asylum seeking vermin?
There's got to be a trick.
Only GD could solve this mystery.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
plug any exterior wall penetrations with steel wool then apply a bead of caulking over it.  Deploy some sticky traps adjacent to the peanut butter traps.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
plug any exterior wall penetrations with steel wool then apply a bead of caulking over it.  Deploy some sticky traps adjacent to the peanut butter traps.
View Quote

As above I'd put the trap with sticky traps before and after if you can.  Also, some of the bastards just need some Tomcat poison.  That's my last resort because I don't love dead mice in the walls but some of the fuckers are amazing at getting the loot without tripping snap traps or just moving on if they get leery of the situation.  

With a place out in the woods, mice are just about guaranteed so its a yearly fight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the peanut butter into the hole in the trigger pan, and the sides as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Partly in keeping with the tradition of offering bad advice on page 1

Get a Jack Russel.

They are excellent mousers, but can be destructive if poorly trained.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Toss out the spring traps and get the sticky traps.  Put a little peanut butter in the middle of the sticky trap and you will catch all of your mice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried eating more fish or walnuts? Brain food of any kind really.

You'll get Jerry one day Tom. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Cat.  Problem soon solved.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a bucket trap
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]
A tiny amount of peanut butter is all that is needed.  Mash it in the bend of the trigger, so they have to work at it to get their last meal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We recently began hosting some illegal immigrant Mice in our kitchen.
I placed some Peanut Butter on some Sustainably Sourced FSC Wood Snap Mouse Traps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R9DBWH6/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

We got two little youngsters right away, within minutes we heard the traps snap.

Then after a quick reset we set them out again . . .
Mom and Dad are way smarter though, they keep eating the Peanut Butter but the traps don't spring???
WTF???

Two Questions:
1. How in the name of whoever do they manage to eat the Peanut Butter and not spring the trap? I'm telling you, the traps are licked clean and look as if never used!

2. How can I out smart these nasty unwanted asylum seeking vermin?
There's got to be a trick.
Only GD could solve this mystery.
View Quote

Get Victor old school traps with the metal triggers not the plastic crap.  Bend the trigger latch back so that it has a hair trigger. Problem solved, and staying solved.

The newer traps with the plastic crap aren't adjustable, and usually set to high. You can set them, and "preload" them by moving the lever down so that the latch is just barely holding it. I've snapped my fingers several times trying this though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
They're just there for a fair opportunity for a better life. And to shit all over damn near everything they come in contact with. And chew on wiring.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
These traps work great (I use them all the time) but they come from the factory with the trip weight set too high (food lever catch bent over to far)  -  so smart mice can lick all the peanut butter out.

I always adjust the bend on the 'food lever' catch until the dang thing is like a hair trigger .  You do need to be careful setting it and placing it gently where you want it, but it never fails to go "SNAP" when a mouse tries messing with the food lever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Have some luck with bucket traps. Used in combination with snap traps.

There’s a YouTube channel by Shawn Woods that is devoted to every type of mouse trap known.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#14]
How to adjust a mouse trap properly.

This is what I was talking about
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Acquire this:

https://www.amazon.com/Catcha-Humane-Release-Rodents-Children/dp/B06XKZMWF4

Then deposit mice in nearest enemy territory. They usually self identify with angry blue signs in front of their homes, especially this time of year.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never seen a (living) rodent in a house with a cat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Had the same problem. I put the peanut butter on the long trigger bar as well as the normal area. The terror finally met it's maker by eating off the trigger bar.

It wasn't a neck catch either. It cought the bastard in the shoulder. I found it in a pool of blood.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always had good luck setting the trap to a hair trigger to get them. It takes some practice to get it right.

Also, if you wedge some cheese into the little pocket in the trigger plate they have to work harder to get it and will trip the trap.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Snap traps suck.  Buy or make a bucket trap.  They work 1000x better.

I made one similar to this:
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Use a drop of epoxy to glue a peanut to the trap trigger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Glue boards surrounding the PB.  

Glue their asses down!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I have trapped mice and rats for a very long time.  Had the peanut butter disappearing off the trap daily thing happen.  Finally figured out it was those little black sugar ants cleaning the trap.   Had not seen that before.     Also had a rat bastard that was being difficult to trap, the force was strong with this one.    I ended up using a bit of spaghetti sauce on the trap and nailed him.  

I own a duct cleaning business north of Seattle, it is truly amazing how many people have no idea they have a rodent issue. Especially liberal city folk.   Clean house, nasty house, cats whatever you can still have rats or mice.   One lady had opossums; they might be good for other things, but they will destroy the underside of a house.    Their shit is like a mix of cat and dog, and they will pick a spot and use it like a bathroom.    Coons are bad as well.  

Just a heads up.  If you ever get the dead rodent smell coming from a floor vent, odds are it is not in the ductwork but tucked up and dead behind the floor vent boot.  Usually buried in the insulation between the floor and foundation.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I use Victor electronic traps. If I have a problem mouse, I leave them out but turned OFF for a few days,
and I just put a tiny dot of PB in them. This does feed the mouse but after 3-4 days of free meals I turn
the traps back on and that's the end of that.

There's no outsmarting an electronic trap, their only options are bypassing the trap entirely or die inside it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRY5VC7shY

This is what I was talking about
View Quote

This is what I did as well. works great!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Get some of these . They work great and are easy to set and it's impossible to steal the bait without it going off.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Harris Rat trap cuts them damn near in half.  Hair trigger and the food goes in without sticking your finger in it(good thing).
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get the peanut butter into the hole in the trigger pan, and the sides as well.
View Quote
And use chunky peanut butter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#30]
GD says all you need are snakes and you won't have a pest problem. So, head to the pet store or for a walk in the woods and get some snakes!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Harris Rat trap cuts them damn near in half.  Hair trigger and the food goes in without sticking your finger in it(good thing).https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0541/3955/1941/products/71EbBq7Hd7L._AC_SL1500.jpg?v=1625084368
View Quote
These are nice but I like the cheap wooden ones because after a number of kills they can get a bit nasty and bloody - especially if you haven't removed the dead one for a few days.

But they're inexpensive and so just throw it in the trash and grab a new one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think of them as humane, but sticky traps work better than anything else I try.

The downside is you often have to kill the mouse yourself, otherwise you will have to know that it is stuck and possibly chewing off its legs to get away.  They always make noise, so you will hear it if you are home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
. . . . .   

With a place out in the woods, mice are just about guaranteed so its a yearly fight.

View Quote

Yeah, count on it.
Im in a camp, one very small step up from a white-trash trailer, woods all around. And while I'd love to get a few cats , my old dog would have NO PART of that circus .
So I deal with mice, shrews, the occasional rat and usually a flying squirrel or two , pretty much year round....and this is the season they get busy, and noisy. A Crosman, 10-pump, 22cal pellet pistol does makes it a little fun though
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
GD says all you need are snakes and you won't have a pest problem. So, head to the pet store or for a walk in the woods and get some snakes!
View Quote
Once the mice are gone and you have a snake problem, then you will have to buy badgers!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't think of them as humane, but sticky traps work better than anything else I try.

The downside is you often have to kill the mouse yourself, otherwise you will have to know that it is stuck and possibly chewing off its legs to get away.  They always make noise, so you will hear it if you are home.
View Quote

bucket + water + lid
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Once the mice are gone and you have a snake problem, then you will have to buy badgers!
View Quote

A forward thinker right there
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get a bucket trap
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Get some thread about 4 inches and loosely wrap it through the hole and then add peanut butter to trap, their teeth will grab the string as it eats...snap....
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#40]
peanut butter in trap of your choice
suppress .22lr
night vision optics
gillie suit that matches kitchen walls
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I live in the country and it has been an (expected) uphill battle. This summer, two mice made a nest inside my trucks timing belt cover and when I went to start it before a camping trip, the belt skipped 7 teeth and nearly destroyed my engine. I've caught the most mice with the Kness 101-0-002 Ketch-All Mousetrap baited with PB. After that, the Victor wood traps with PB and birdseed smashed into it. I've started using the Victor electronic trap with some success after my mechanic recommended them. I killed 4 last month by leaving a bucket of water next to a stack of firewood. Thanks for the reminder OP, I need to reset them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I stuff a gummy into the bait spot and cover with peanut butter. They might steal a little of the peanut butter, but when they pull on the gummy it all comes crashing down on them .
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Try embedding some string or dental floss in the peanut butter blob.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a bunch of these to put around my late moms house after finding mouse turds on the bed and a nest inside a drawer after the house sat empty for a few months.  I like that the bait try is set down below the trap release so they have to get on it to get down in to the food.  We got the interlopers, finding a fat little mouse in one of the traps in the laundry room.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Also check your dryer vent if the flapper closes all the way.  Yes I've seen that scenario happen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted: Deploy some sticky traps adjacent to the peanut butter traps.
View Quote

This is what worked for us!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Well heck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Zip tie a piece of a cheeto to your mouse trap. 100% kill rate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I have had luck wrapping the pan with floss on top of the peanut butter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top