Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 358
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do wish he'd gotten a swing or two off before getting killed, instead of just charging in as if he had only a spear. Even if it would be apparent that the NK was toying with him.

Also agree with an earlier poster that a neat twist to Bran doing absolutely nothing would have been if he'd stabbed the NK in the back after he turned to catch Arya.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not calling him for a dumbass for attacking the NK head on.  I'm calling him a dumbass for using an attack strategy that Hodor would think was retarded.
I do wish he'd gotten a swing or two off before getting killed, instead of just charging in as if he had only a spear. Even if it would be apparent that the NK was toying with him.

Also agree with an earlier poster that a neat twist to Bran doing absolutely nothing would have been if he'd stabbed the NK in the back after he turned to catch Arya.
Theon reminded me of that halfass attempt at Tormund made by Olly in S6.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dragons gotta eat....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alls I know is they got one hell of a mess to clean up and that shit's gonna start stinking.

If they can get someone to make a pile then the dragons could probably burn them up, but that's gonna be a lot of dragging and dumping to make that pile, and all the strong men are gonna be in that pile.
Dragons gotta eat....
Same as worms...
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Heavy infantry go in the middle.  Cavalry on the flanks.  It is known.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep...as soon as they started their charge I knew they were spent...poof...gone.

Oh and NOW you use the flaming arty?  wtf?
I was expecting Jorah to say something when he rode back.  The silence there was odd to me.  Figure if he rode in and rode back alive he would have had something to say.  Unless I completely missed that part.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
If Sansa had said that (or at least part of it) I could forgive 87% of Dumb and Dumber's past fuck ups.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dude, we get it.  Dragons are soooo much better than direwolves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And BEFORE all that you started ranting about how much more powerful dragons were as if anyone here thought a direwolf was more powerful than a dragon.

Though upon seeing you refer to Jaime and Brienne as "Jamie and Briane" it seems likely you're just a causal fan that watches for the action so your perspective makes sense and that's fine.
Sorry if my casualness offends you!  But I don't get the love for the dog, sorry if that bothers you so much.  If you think me saying aegon didnt conquer westeros with a dire wolf and valaria didnt rule the world with dire wolves is a "rant" then I cant really help you.

Grats on the pyrrhic victory

still dont get the fuss about the dog. care to explain to a "casual" why I should?
Dude. We get it. You like direwolves.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
So now I can read this thread
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was expecting Jorah to say something when he rode back.  The silence there was odd to me.  Figure if he rode in and rode back alive he would have had something to say.  Unless I completely missed that part.
View Quote
He was probably in shock he just saw an entire fighting force wiped out in 30 seconds
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
It did seem very odd to me as well. He just Nope'd right off screen with zero fucks to give. Maybe that was what they were trying to go with?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like BOTH Dragons made it.

Look at 21- seconds for next weeks preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTqLXLUvQ4
View Quote
I saw one dragon with his shadow on the water

Edit: you’re right. I barely saw the nose of the second before it switched scenes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He was probably in shock he just saw an entire fighting force wiped out in 30 seconds
View Quote
He said plenty. He said were fucked.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Did Jon, Egon...whatever, did he even serve any purpose in this episode?

He's spent his entire adult life preparing to fight the Night King and on the day of the battle he's a pinch runner with two outs. Zero value.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like BOTH Dragons made it.

Look at 21- seconds for next weeks preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksTqLXLUvQ4
22 seconds. there are two dragons in the top right quadrant of the screen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:08:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And BEFORE all that you started ranting about how much more powerful dragons were as if anyone here thought a direwolf was more powerful than a dragon.

Though upon seeing you refer to Jaime and Brienne as "Jamie and Briane" it seems likely you're just a causal fan that watches for the action so your perspective makes sense and that's fine.
Sorry if my casualness offends you!  But I don't get the love for the dog, sorry if that bothers you so much.  If you think me saying aegon didnt conquer westeros with a dire wolf and valaria didnt rule the world with dire wolves is a "rant" then I cant really help you.

Grats on the pyrrhic victory

still dont get the fuss about the dog. care to explain to a "casual" why I should?
I like dragons more.  Not to the level of a "rural best friend" or anything, but they are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Ghost is alive. IGN has a still by still breakdown of next weeks trailer and you can see him in the background by some soldiers in front of winterfell and he is on all four legs
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought the episode was pretty good.  It's a fantasy flick so....

I am disappointed somewhat by the timing of the Night Kings death.  It just seems to me that should have been part of the culmination of the series.  Since the Night King and his magic army of the dead posed the greatest existential threat to humanity.  Killing him off and leaving two human armies to fight out who wins GOT just seems like a little let down.

It's like in the LOTR trilogy, the Battle of the Shire occurs after Mordor is conquered.  Sauron has been dispatched, now the mortals have to settle a few things.  I just think they could have written the battle a little different and had it all decided in one epic last gasp.

But overall, I'm okay with it.

PS:  How did Jon's Dragon survive.  I thought it died when it threw him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did Jon, Egon...whatever, did he even serve any purpose in this episode?

He's spent his entire adult life preparing to fight the Night King and on the day of the battle he's a pinch runner with two outs. Zero value.
View Quote
He lit up the field a few times and he slowed down the Night King a few seconds on his slow walk to Bran.

But yeah, once he was off the dragon Jon did next to nothing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
look again....
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:12:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The writing was terrible. Just terrible. Like Star Wars: TLJ, just don’t think about it and marvel at the scenes even though they don’t make sense. Why the fuck did Dany just sit on the ground and let homeless overrun her dragon? Seriously wtf. Why was Sam there if he wasn’t going to overcome his inability of being a man. Edd died for that fat fuck. Even Jon saw him laying on the ground and thought “what a useless fuck!”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I swear some of you could get a tag team blow job from three gorgeous women, and then complain that none of them was a red head.
The writing was terrible. Just terrible. Like Star Wars: TLJ, just don’t think about it and marvel at the scenes even though they don’t make sense. Why the fuck did Dany just sit on the ground and let homeless overrun her dragon? Seriously wtf. Why was Sam there if he wasn’t going to overcome his inability of being a man. Edd died for that fat fuck. Even Jon saw him laying on the ground and thought “what a useless fuck!”
I think she was trying to protect Jon as he tried to get back to the castle. Sam isn’t a warrior no matter how hard he tries. Jon didn’t give up on Sam. He saw others needing help but knew that he really needed to get back to help Bran. Stopping to help anyone else doesn’t help the cause. The ice dragon kept him from getting further.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Loved the episode. I thought it was lame we spent nearly 8 seasons building up the Night King essentially no progress then dies at first major battle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

At least they didn't have a huge force ride in at the last possible second to save the day.... again.
View Quote
My son loves CS Lewis, so I was clicking around trying to learn more about him so I could keep up
a conversation with my son. Clicked a lot then saw someone on Youtube claim CS Lewis was a shit writer. I guess it’s true. You can’t make everyone happy
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I like dragons more.  Not to the level of a "rural best friend" or anything, but they are pretty cool.
View Quote
I liked the dragons too.  Quite frankly I liked the "magic" some people are bitching about.  It's a fantasy flick.  You kind of have to like the fantasy part.

Frankly, I felt bad for the dire wolf running beside Mamount.  I mean what's a wolf going to do against the undead, except end up dead.  It's not like they gave him dragon glass teeth or anything.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
dothraki are idiots.  it is known.

and by 'it is known', i mean that everyone who has ever gone against dothraki known that they suck unless they're numerically superior and on ideal terrain for horse.

wedge formation charge with no ISR but lots of hollering was the paragon of dothraki tactics.  i wasn't even mad--it was perfectly in character for them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I

I am disappointed somewhat by the timing of the Night Kings death.  It just seems to me that should have been part of the culmination of the series.
View Quote
This whole season IS the culmination of the series...everything is getting wrapped up...and it will never be to everyones satisfaction
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#25]
The *MOST* disappointing thing was the lack of backstory on the NK.  A few minutes of interaction/history with bran and NK would have been nice.

I dont see how there can be so much history and buildup for that ending.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So there isn't a use for the Nights Watch anymore. Right?
View Quote
There isn’t a nights watch anymore. Unless you call Sam the night watch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

and by 'it is known', i mean that everyone who has ever gone against dothraki known that they suck unless they're numerically superior and on ideal terrain for horse.

wedge formation charge with no ISR but lots of hollering was the paragon of dothraki tactics.  i wasn't even mad--it was perfectly in character for them.
View Quote
Of course, they should be doing the Hun/Mongol horse archer thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
getting the enemy to break and run is typically easy for them....the dead don't break and run
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i don't recall any prophecy discussing who kills the NK (esp since he hasn't made an appearance in the books yet)
View Quote
Azor Ahi, Born of salt an smoke. Damn sure aint Arya. Mances winter rose story. Jon Snow the 13th lord commander of the NW, the black gate at the "night fort", come on man that's leading some were.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He lit up the field a few times and he slowed down the Night King a few seconds on his slow walk to Bran.

But yeah, once he was off the dragon Jon did next to nothing.
View Quote
Listening to the writers talk after the episode, watering down Jon's hero value was part of what they wanted to do.  They wanted to give Arya the heroic kill, and the wanted to give the little Lady Mormont an epic kill against one of the bigger foes.  Yeah, it's nod to the WOKE, but so what, it worked ok.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Getting ready to watch it again on HBO West.  This episode took 55 days to film, that's nuts.
View Quote
Got to admit it. GOT has put together some episodes that were better than about 99% of the movies out there since they began this series. Battle of the bastards puts to shame some of these major motion pictures battles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I swear some of you could get a tag team blow job from three gorgeous women, and then complain that none of them was a red head.
I don't think that was likely running through Jon's mind, but that still made me laugh.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That was like an episode of walking dead had a baby with world war z. I thought there might be some big reveal of the NK back story. I liked the episode but it left a lot to be desired.

I thought more mai characters should have died
View Quote
This is why Kreese > Thanos > NK “No Mercy”
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got to admit it. GOT has put together some episodes that were better than about 99% of the movies out there since they began this series. Battle of the bastards puts to shame some of these major motion pictures battles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting ready to watch it again on HBO West.  This episode took 55 days to film, that's nuts.
Coming a few days after Endgame came out kinda lessons the effect, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct

Charging into absolute darkness seemed like the kind of crazy shit Dothraki would do.  They were they are the berserker shock troops, they just happened to be mounted.  Besides, they were light infantry anyway.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Correct

Charging into absolute darkness seemed like the kind of crazy shit Dothraki would do.  They were they are the berserker shock troops, they just happened to be mounted.  Besides, they were light infantry anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct

The Dothraki being stupid enough to do that I totally get.  But no one telling them that would be a bad idea?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:23:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't think so. I believe the last time you see him he's twirlin' his spear taking out WW's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only casualties I'm unsure of are the dragon , grey worm and ghost.
Did greyworm die?
Don't think so. I believe the last time you see him he's twirlin' his spear taking out WW's.
Wights.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dumbass Jon was gonna have a shouting match with the Ice Dragon at the end?  weirdo
View Quote
THE MUMMY (1999) Movie Clip - Rick Screams at the Mummy |FULL HD| Brendan Fraser
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This whole season IS the culmination of the series...everything is getting wrapped up...and it will never be to everyones satisfaction
View Quote
ah...right.  I said it was fine.

I just thought it was a little mistimed.  The NK posed the greatest existential threat to humanity.  Circi doesn't.  That's all.  It's a like watching Mordor fall, and now we get to see an episode about the Shire being liberated.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They did not use the dragons very effectively.  Dany and Jon should have just kept sweeping parallel to the line of battle burning up large swathes of WW.
View Quote
If they did that, it would be too predictable and the NK could just throw a spear into them and make them their own. Not that dany didn’t use them as best she could anyways.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Still my favorite GOT battle.

Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i was expecting a shitshow. im glad they took the extra time. the final season has exceeded my expectations so far.
View Quote
Same here, but it's all going to come down to how it ends.   Fuck that up and it won't matter how good the earlier episodes were.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sam had more balls in previous struggles.  While he was never a good fighter, he at least put in the effort.  IN this one he seemed to be whining and running away the whole time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
none of the prior battles had that many dead people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think they expected it to be like that.

None of the prior battles had dead crawling like a wall ala World War Z.
none of the prior battles had that many dead people.
Bc Dumb and Dumber omitted the Battle of the Fist.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sam had more balls in previous struggles.  While he was never a good fighter, he at least put in the effort.  IN this one he seemed to be whining and running away the whole time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's what I don't get. He has actually gotten worse.

Some people might say "it's because he has a 'family' now," but  I think it's just bad writing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Who was it that kept going on and on about how there was no way the dead Starks were coming to life in the crypts and even if they did there was no way they were breaking out of their tombs?
View Quote
They should have called Tom
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:32:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I enjoyed the episode but Arya killing the NK was a huge disappointment.

D&D talk about character arcs and drawing off previous episodes in the after show, but they literally threw the arc of the main character in the trash.

So 7+ seasons of Jon joining the Watch, protecting the realms of men, fighting wights, creating alliances and armies, getting killed, coming face to face with the NK twice, spends the entire episode chasing the NK, and he doesn’t get to close the deal
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL you wanna go that route, might as well incl the engineers and the artillery idiots not to mention the CAS.  That was the most horrifically pathetic defense I've seen on film.  Them trenches should have been a lot farther out, the artillery should have been continuously firing as soon as the WW got in range or just putting out illum, and what the fuck were Dany and Eggy doing standing on Makeout Point looking over everything?  At least one of them could have been dropping nape and the other could have been flying overwatch or something.  And no shield wall?  The dickless wonders have just been a continuous source of disappointment to me...and why didn't Beric run out with his continuously flaming sword to light the trench?  And the Red Witch sure took her sweet time sashaying out to do the deed.  If she was gonna move that slow she could have at least gotten nekkid and made it a show!
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Jesus.  She ran up.  it was a big ass court yard with places to hide. The white walkers were all focused on the night king and Bran.  They showed you how quiet Arya is earlier in the episode.  She ran up from cover, which is why you see the one white walker turn and his hair blow.  That was her running by him.

And if it was Jons kill, he would have did it. Bran let it play out the only way it would work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just cant figure out where she came out of the air from.
Isn't it clear? She fucking HALO'd in.

What a bunch. of. Bullshit! Fucking stole Jons' kill.
Jesus.  She ran up.  it was a big ass court yard with places to hide. The white walkers were all focused on the night king and Bran.  They showed you how quiet Arya is earlier in the episode.  She ran up from cover, which is why you see the one white walker turn and his hair blow.  That was her running by him.

And if it was Jons kill, he would have did it. Bran let it play out the only way it would work.
Plus everything about GOT is unpredictable. If one person is perceived as supposed to do something from the start, it means he or she isn’t.
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top