Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2024 3:20:28 PM EDT
Death of dancer who ate mislabeled cookie called "100% preventable"

Damn, sounds like she did everything right.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s tragic for sure, but if your life is that fragile, then you probably shouldn’t trust a single processed food item.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's tragic for sure, but if your life is that fragile, then you probably shouldn't trust a single processed food item.
View Quote
Easier said than done.  I have close family with peanut and other allergy issues.  Try traveling into an unfamiliar area and needing a snack or food.  Only to get fucked over by some company or employee mishandling food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course, but maybe?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t they make epi pens for this?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Easier said than done.  I have close family with peanut and other allergy issues.  Try traveling into an unfamiliar area and needing a snack or food.  Only to get fucked over by some company or employee mishandling food.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's tragic for sure, but if your life is that fragile, then you probably shouldn't trust a single processed food item.
I don't think its "easy", but sometimes life sucks.  Isn't it pretty rare that people die with epinephrine on hand, and medical attention nearby?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that why most processed snacks now say "made in a facility that also processes nuts and legumes" or something to that effect.

Seems like it's on everything.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it happened to me a few years ago. My wife and I were staying at the airport hotel because we were going to Japan the next morning. We ate in the hotel restaurant where I had the fish. I specifically asked if there was mango on the fish because I was allergic to mangos and was told no by the waitress; she was wrong. A half an hour later we were on our way to the closest ER because I was in full blown anaphylaxis. Luckily, they were able to get everything squared away at the ER and we were able to go on our trip.

Never eat the fish.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Between Palforzia, SublingualImmunotherapy, and other methods to work up tolerance really needs to be perused by parents who think their children may have a peanut allergy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't done testing in many many years for my life threatening peanut allergy and I've often wondered if I've either just been lucky to not ever run into an accidental peanut like this, or if my allergy is not as severe as it used to be.
I do check labels on everything and check with new restaurants to see what oil they cook in, but after 35 years of an allergy, you'd think I would've lost the avoidance game at some point.

I did eat a peanut butter cookie given to me by a classmate's parent when I was like 6, but I puked it up so fast apparently I was fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
RIP.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don’t they make epi pens for this?
View Quote

It doesn't always work and can cake multiple injections.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The young niece of a woman my wife works with died when she ate cake at a birthday party that had almond milk as an ingredient. The niece had a severe tree-nut allergy but she didn't tell the person who served the cake. Even though it's not her fault, I can't imagine how terrible that person feels. Oh, and the niece didn't have an epi pen with her.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
That's terrible. I also want to know why the fuck so many kids have peanut allergies now?  Dame for autism.  There was something that changed somewhere in the 90s or so that made both of these things blow the fuck up, and nobody is doing research or reporting on it.  This should be a huge story and issue and there is no way that someone doesn't know the reason.  I'm fairly convinced it is either pharmaceutical (vaccines seems to be the most likely culprit, food (pesticides, herbicides, gmo, whatever), or plastic related.  

The answer is out there and can't be that difficult to find.  The problem is the industries and especially TV advertising money and lobbying money is definitely keeping this off the radar of the public.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of course, but maybe?
View Quote
/I understood that reference
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's terrible. I also want to know why the fuck so many kids have peanut allergies now?  Dame for autism.  There was something that changed somewhere in the 90s or so that made both of these things blow the fuck up, and nobody is doing research or reporting on it.  This should be a huge story and issue and there is no way that someone doesn't know the reason.  I'm fairly convinced it is either pharmaceutical (vaccines seems to be the most likely culprit, food (pesticides, herbicides, gmo, whatever), or plastic related.  

The answer is out there and can't be that difficult to find.  The problem is the industries and especially TV advertising money and lobbying money is definitely keeping this off the radar of the public.
View Quote

Lots of theory on it. One is that we as a society are too clean and the hyper cleanliness has specifically caused the issue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Who in their right mind with a deadly allergy like that would go anywhere without an Epipen?  

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Parents not feeding food to their kids early in life.

We fed our kids peanut butter and peanuts early.

My middle girl has celiac disease and thinks her food at boarding school is being cross contaminated.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My BIL has coeliac disease and he brings almost all of his own food with him when they travel.  He's an absolute zealot about not eating anything that he didn't prepare or see prepared.  If eating a peanut will kill you, you live the same lifestyle, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
to be fair the grocery store fucked up pretty bad here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Obviously we don’t know if she had her epi pens or if her friends were aware,

Generally if you need to administer you can administer two but after that make sure you’re at a hospital, antihistamines nor glucocorticoids

Some people do not respond to epinephrine even on a double dose, i think when doing blood tests for a study 75% had a classification with asthma, some alcohol/recreational drug use as well.  One of the from the hip theories on the asthma was regular use of a  bronchodilator made epinephrine less effective and obviously anything that depresses your system limits response.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Autism and being "on the spectrum" is simply better understood and diagnosed more often. The "weird kid in class" is now diagnosed with mild autism or Asperger's or similar.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pediatric cases of Peanut allergies is ~ 2%
Adult ~ .5%

This data is US/Canada only i suspect the peanut was fairly rare as a global distribution until fairly recent in human history and people with the allergy just died prior to.  Now that they live any genetic predisposition if there is one would be more likely to pass on
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think what we now refer to as "high functioning autism" is something that's been around forever. It's just now that we identify it and act like these people need special treatment, whereas before society was sink or swim, and you're either going to get that behavior beat out of you, or you find a way to make it your key to success.

Or maybe the lack of peanuts is causing it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

JADP - My brother, who has a severe peanut allergy, was born in 1962.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My BIL has coeliac disease and he brings almost all of his own food with him when they travel.  He's an absolute zealot about not eating anything that he didn't prepare or see prepared.  If eating a peanut will kill you, you live the same lifestyle, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife has Celiac's.  Sometimes, you cannot bring your own food with you.  Wife was cross contaminated by a salad.  Another time, we went to a very celiac friendly restaurant that we had eaten at 10+ times.  Runner bought out the wrong meatball (GF vs non-GF).  Chef/owner realized the mistake too late and sent the runner out to apologize.  Fortunately, it's not something that will kill you like peanuts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lots of theory on it. One is that we as a society are too clean and the hyper cleanliness has specifically caused the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also kind of like autism, better at diagnosing it now.

Some people are just "peanut intolerant" but they figure it out early and are told to avoid them incase it gets worse.

My kid is kind of like that with pistachios. She's 2 for 2 on eating them and then puking, and at a baby shower a few years ago she ate a green cookie that was a pistachio macaroon and about 2 hours later threw up a lot.

Now she stays away from them completely and checks labels to make sure she's not accidental eating them.

Could be a genetic thing, my dad doesn't tolerate some nuts well, and sometimes beans and nuts of different types can really mess with my guts....they also tend to come out exactly the same way they went in no matter how much I chew them. I don't think my body likes them much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Grocery store says the commercial bakery changed the recipe and didn't tell them.

Commercial bakery says they changed the recipe months ago, changed the ingredients label on the bulk boxes to list peanuts, and sent email to the grocery store advising them of the change. If so, that should be easy to prove, and would put the blame squarely on the grocery store for not updating their labels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's probably not it. They recommend waiting on a few foods with babies just incase they have a severe reaction, much easier to treat them when they are older and stronger.

It's like having a milk protein allergy and thinking that more milk is going to somehow fix it....it's just going to give you bad skin and a lot of gas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't think its "easy", but sometimes life sucks.  Isn't it pretty rare that people die with epinephrine on hand, and medical attention nearby?
View Quote

Most people can't afford to replace an epipen every 18 months for $700.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's probably not it. They recommend waiting on a few foods with babies just incase they have a severe reaction, much easier to treat them when they are older and stronger.

It's like having a milk protein allergy and thinking that more milk is going to somehow fix it....it's just going to give you bad skin and a lot of gas.
View Quote
Babies can handle a lot.
Introducing food early is vital.

Yupik (native) way is to introduce foods as soon as they can tolerate swallowing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]
It sucks, but if you have an allergy that sever, an epipen should NEVER be out of reach.

This is something I'm intimately familiar with. I no longer have to carry one on my person, but I still have 2 in my car.

Had to whack my kid with one once before. Quite a scary situation. But darn, what an amazing tool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't remember a single kid that had a peanut allergy back in the day. Kind of like you don't see white dog shit anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Babies can handle a lot.

Yupik (native) way is to introduce foods as soon as they can tolerate swallowing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Babies can handle a lot.

Are peanuts native to Alaska though?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My middle girl has celiac disease and thinks her food at boarding school is being cross contaminated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard it is the opposite.  Feeding them nuts too early.  IDK I'm not an immunologist.  I do know it was pretty much unheard of when I was a kid, and even into the nineties.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

it happened to me a few years ago. My wife and I were staying at the airport hotel because we were going to Japan the next morning. We ate in the hotel restaurant where I had the fish. I specifically asked if there was mango on the fish because I was allergic to mangos and was told no by the waitress; she was wrong. A half an hour later we were on our way to the closest ER because I was in full blown anaphylaxis. Luckily, they were able to get everything squared away at the ER and we were able to go on our trip.

Never eat the fish.
View Quote

I can relate to that as I’m allergic to bivalve shellfish myself actually.

One time we were at a restaurant serving two soups that day.  One had clam juice and the other did not.  I ordered the one without clam juice and took two spoonfuls before realizing that they served me the wrong one.  I spat out the second spoon and told the manager who subsequently looked like he was going to poop a brick.  However when I react (nausea and vomiting) it happens within seconds, maybe a minute on the outside, so we waited a while and I reassured him that we were good.  Poor guy look like he just dodged a bullet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't remember a single kid that had a peanut allergy back in the day. Kind of like you don't see white dog shit anymore.
View Quote

I remember one kid, but he wasn't in our grade. He had to sit next to the teacher at lunch in elementary school.

My kids said there's one kid that might be in the class of my oldest that is now, but they don't know of any others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Babies can handle a lot.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It’s tragic for sure, but if your life is that fragile, then you probably shouldn’t trust a single processed food item.
View Quote

This AND have some sort of Epipen on you at all times.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have heard it is the opposite.  Feeding them nuts too early.  IDK I'm not an immunologist.  I do know it was pretty much unheard of when I was a kid, and even into the nineties.
View Quote
Peanut allergies were rare when I was a kid in school.

White/black parents fed their kids peanuts/peanut butter early.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Medical science and sanitation standards over the last 150 years have removed many of Darwin's tools to filter out suboptimal genetics in the area of immune system function.

Used to be, if you had a severe enough food allergy as kid, you might have died and didn't procreate. Now, you can pass those genes to the next generation.

Used to be, if you died of a common disease as a child, well clearly your genetics didn't code for an immune system that could handle it. Now, vaccines mean you don't have to worry about that.

Emerging research is showing some links between immune system dysfunction and autism disorders.  

Genetic selection(or lack of) applies to humans, same as anything else.   But genetics are genetics and the human body is amazing resilient and able to work around many things.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Most people can't afford to replace an epipen every 18 months for $700.
View Quote

If epipens could fix a STD transmitted by homosexuals, it would cost $25 and be covered by all insurance policies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it is.

Depending on where the raw goods travel there can be many opportunities for contamination.

After the material is harvested, is it stored near or around allergens?

After it is loaded and shipped, is it in a trailer/container with other allergens? Or has it previously hauled an allergen?

After it reaches the warehouse, does it get stored around potential allergens that could rip or spill?

That raw material then gets processed on a line, was the line previously running an allergen and was it properly cleaned?

The processed product then is stored, are there other allergens around it that could contaminate?

Are the employee following proper hygiene so they don't contaminate the product?

All of these things could contaminate and then you have to add proper labeling

This is assuming your food allergy is one of the big 8. They don't even have provisions for other food allergies. In some countries tomatoes, peaches and bananas are considered to be life threatening allergens.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Epi is one of many medications that may be needed during anaphylaxis.  Even if a doctor/medic is standing right there when the reaction happens, sometimes they still die.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#45]
One of my best friends almost died when we were kids after eating a raw tomato.  Turns out he was allergic to raw tomatoes.  He has since grown out of it but he won't eat them if he can help it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Sad story.  It's a hard life being allergic to certain things-nuts, bee stings, etc., especially when your body doesn't outgrow the issue or when you develop an allergy when you get older. I have run on many people who all of the sudden had allergic reactions to things they never had an issue with before.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
That's sad bro

Got nothing else to say. Just sad

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sad story.  It's a hard life being allergic to certain things-nuts, bee stings, etc., especially when your body doesn't outgrow the issue or when you develop an allergy when you get older. I have run on many people who all of the sudden had allergic reactions to things they never had an issue with before.
View Quote

I was talking to our pediatrician about that when we discovered that our daughter is allergic to sulphur based medications.  I used to eat oysters when I was young but developed the above mentioned allergy in my teens.  She said that it was common to develop an allergy later in life and find out the hard way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I once watched a guy on an airplane absolutely flip out on a flight attendant after she handed a snack to his peanut allergic daughter. Good job keeping your kid safe, Dad, but fuck...how was SHE supposed know your kid has allergies??
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top