Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not on a gun website.....that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6 Beers....

7 was too many and 5 not enough.

View Quote

we call it swing lube
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
A double hinged club really helped me. “Strengthening” my grip did as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gee, thanks fellas. Never thought of that.
View Quote

Well... That's what causes a slice 95% of the time. You can always aim far left and "play the slice" but until you learn how control your swing path, you'll always be imparting side spin on the ball causing a slice.

Once you get the ball from slicing to a playable fade, you can start with maybe a stronger grip and slight closed face at address but these are minor tweaks to make a fade/draw into playable, repeatable shots.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop trying to crush the ball.

Seriously, power it down and play for a few months at 50% power. Get into the habit of swinging correctly, and then step up to 75%. Play for a few months at 75% power, if you start slicing again, back off.  Once you're in the groove, go full power.  If you slice, back off.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Strong grip with right thumb rolled more clockwise to the right.  Swing many times with left arm only making sure to roll the club over hard at impact point (not hitting anything, just swinging).  Right hand and arm are there for support, don't overgrip with right.  After swinging with left for a minitue or so, place right hand on club, middle two fingers for the hold.  Right thumb rotated a bit more clockwise will bring it left.  Watch out though....too strong a grip with thumb at 1 o'clock will start to cause rope-hooks if not careful.  Watch the ball at impact and stay down.  Then drop the f-bombs.  Conversely, roll right thumb to the left over top of the shaft at 1 o'clock and you can hit the fade.

The left pic shows why you hook...that's very strong grip.  The cure for the hook is to rotate the right thumb back over.  You need to do the opposite.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Consciously swing from inside-to-out and roll your wrists through impact.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Move to an inside out swing pattern.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Took up shooting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
lessons
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Club position on your backswing. Once that is correct you have to release your swing with knee and hip follow through.  

Get your swing speed checked and make sure you have the right driver, loft and flex must match your swing speed.  

See a pro. Best $50 or $60 bucks you’ll ever spend if you love golf.  

Struggled with an issue last couple of years.  A pro fixed me in 10 minutes.

ETA: If you have a bad grip you will never have a chance to hit a golf ball true.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I've found the best way to fix a slice is to sell your clubs and get another hobby!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Learn to hit the hook, then you can try to tame it.

Extend into the ball, not early and cut across it, practice a good swing plane.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a driver with a bigger sweat spot

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy the golf club and turn it into a rifle range.  Fixt
View Quote

I’ve always thought about this too.

I have nothing against golf, but it doesn’t interest me. But every golf course I see looks like it would be a beautiful rifle range.

OP, good luck. I have nothing to offer you about your slice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Lessons
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Particularly the driver.

Go
View Quote

Ummm I sold my clubs and quit playing that idiotic game
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fix whatever you are doing wrong. Grip, stance, etc...

For me, I had to roll my grip over from what felt normal.

View Quote

That's what my dad taught me to do; it works. It's a workaround though, which always bugged me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Move to an inside out swing pattern.
View Quote

This is a huge part.

<------- former golf professional
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Swing plane.
Keep your right elbow (assuming you’re a righty) tucked and don’t chicken wing.

There are probably a dozen variables though- slow motion video is a great aid- and also lessons.

Shaft flex, swing speed, and ball all matter but, none will save a broken swing.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Blew my back out.  Now I can't play.  No SLICE!!!!

John
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

we call it swing lube
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6 Beers....

7 was too many and 5 not enough.

we call it swing lube

Aiming Juice.  

ETA:  Thanks for the tips.  I figured out from this thread that my grip has been too strong.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I use the stack and tile method, ton of weight on my left side (right handed) with a super smooth backswing.

It has cured my slice, added consistency, and distance.

YouTube it, it causes your body to remain still and takes a ton of the unpredictable movement out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Didn’t read a damn post. It’s your grip.   Very easy to fix.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Take a 3 foot piece of string. Place it behind the tee. S l o w l y bring your club back along the string line. Then s l o w l y bring the club down along the string line.
Do this for as often as needed to get your swing imprinted. Even when you're playing slowly bring the club back.
For distance Chi Chi Rodriguez used to practice his swing in the winter by standing in a doorway and never letting his left side leave the frame. I tried it one winter, added mucho yardage to my drive and other clubs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Didn’t read a damn post. It’s your grip.
View Quote

Or really shitty/bent shafts... I out a new set of shafts on my #1 and no more shankapotomus
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Slowly play the ball back in your stance than you normally would.  This causes you to take the club back to the inside.

If you need to, close your stance a little.

Then, when you figure out your swing, you can manipulate your stance and/or ball position at address.  Before ya know it, you’ll be working the ball at will.  

Then you can manipulate your grip and follow through to hit screaming hooks or high fades.

After that, you’ll be working on ball flight trajectory to control distance to match the conditions.

More than anything, work on your wedge game inside 100 yards, getting up and down from 25 yards and in, and the flat stick...always work on the flat stick.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm an excellent golfer and I've seldom had any trouble hitting the fairway. Granted, it's not always the right fairway, but it's A fairway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#29]
For me it is simple.  I assume you are right handed.  So your problem is the ball always turns right and disappears into the great unknown.  Sucks.

I found it I played courses with lots of water and OB left I tended to hit there instead.  Problem solved.  

Seriously - the ONLY advice that is worth shit here is getting lessons from a pro.  Yeah, sounds expensive but you are just kidding yourself if you think you can self diagnose on ARF.com
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Post a down the line swing video we can analyze
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Aim more to the left (for a righty) or to the right (for a lefty). Feel the flow. Be the ball...
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Post a down the line swing video we can analyze
View Quote

This is really the only way we can help you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Or really shitty/bent shafts... I out a new set of shafts on my #1 and no more shankapotomus
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn’t read a damn post. It’s your grip.

When you start snap hooking your drives you can start weakening your grip.

Slicing is almost always grip. Club face isn’t square and open. That’s grip.  To this day I make sure my grip is good on the driver and have developed a subtle draw.

Flat take away, strong grip and you’ll be ripping it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Look up Rick Shiels on YouTube. He can help you a bunch.

Grip needs to twist some.
Grip needs to be more in the fingers than the palm
Right foot can co e back a few inches
And get the swing path corrected.

A golfer showed me something the other day as well.  I put a small towel or head cover under my right arm(I’m right handed) in my arm pit. He told me to swing without dropping it. Perfectly straight drive. Something to pay attention too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#35]
For me it was about not looking where the ball goes.  Once I learned to keep my head down, I stopped slicing.  Everytime I try to turn my head to follow the ball, SLICE.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For me it was about not looking where the ball goes.  Once I learned to keep my head down, I stopped slicing.  Everytime I try to turn my head to follow the ball, SLICE.
View Quote

Your best shots are when your head follows your shoulders, not the other way around. Aka keep your head down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Practice swinging with one of these. It is too heavy to cast outside and will let you feel a correct inside out swing.

https://www.amazon.com/Momentus-Swing-Trainers-Training-Signature/dp/B003MSOIL4/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=weighted+golf+club&qid=1604370000&sr=8-6
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't care what my problem is I'm trying to correct, if I put my feet NO more than six inches apart and swing, it usually gets me back on track. Try it. If you can't hit the ball doing that without falling over you can't feel your swing and the natural whipping action that is needed. It will square up your club face.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#39]
You have a couple of options IMO. Go get a lesson or two. Other option is to watch several YouTube/Instagram golf pro. George Gankas, Keith Bennett, Eric Corgano, etc. Download the Technique App and educate yourself on your swing. As others have said, you most likely swing across the ball with the club face open. You will need to check grip, stance, and alignment first. Then you will need to swing on plane, have proper position at the top of the swing, and return the club on plane or just under plane while squaring up the club face. When that’s all done you still need hours and hours on the range to learn new habits and break your old ones. Even then, you’ll still want to quit 3 to 4 times a round.

TLDR - Get lessons. There is a reason I pay a pro to coach my son. Luckily, he’s coached a lot of good players and has a top 20 player on tour who led some of the Zozo championship two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Ben Hogan book helped mea ton
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This was the biggest factor for me. Had no idea how upright I was.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get your swing plane corrected.

This was the biggest factor for me. Had no idea how upright I was.

This is correct.  Slicers have a flat back swing and upright (steep) down swing.  

You want the opposite.  Upright or on plane backswing and flat (underneath) the plane downswing.

Watch Sergio Garcia slo mo video YouTube.  His downswing is as flat as it gets.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Almost all folks who struggle with slicing are not leading with their hips. You have to turn your hips before your upper body to have an inside out swing.
View Quote
See I think I’m overdoing it with my hips. With the long clubs I’ve completed hip turn well before shoulders and my club face flies open trying to catch up.

OP, I had one glorious round where I “swung for right field” and every drive went dead straight. On that day, dammit, I was playing golf.

Haven’t been able to repeat. But I think I’m forgetting shoulder turn and will work on that at the range.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Put a tee on the ground pointing straight out from your ball and have your club head follow that path.
Even imagining a straight line will work after awhile.

Your club head is going right or it is spinning in your hand just slightly and causing the slice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Please take my advice.
I shoot in the high 60s to low 70s.

Any colder than that and it isnt as enjoyable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I use to slice so bad I was in danger of having the ball come back and hit me!

This simple trick fixed it...

Grip the club loosely.

Your wrists need to break through the ball,  they can’t break freely if you’re choking the club to death.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I don’t golf much, but if I concentrate on keeping my left arm straight (I’m a righty) in the backswing, my slice goes away.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Please take my advice.
I shoot in the high 60s to low 70s.

Any colder than that and it isnt as enjoyable.
View Quote

Actually broke 80 for second time in my “career” this year.

Same course a month later- 110.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Love golf, wish I could play more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Look up Harvey Penick's magic move.  But don't overdo it or you will wear out the left rough.

ETA:  It is a drill to sequence your weight transfer and drop the club into the slot to produce an inside out swing.

Watch at 49:40 here:

https://archive.org/details/TheLittleGreenVideo
View Quote

Good advice right here.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top