Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan]
Got a cooper with a supercharged dode neon engine :)
20 years old and they don't even make the spare parts for the manual tranny anymore.
This is going to be a long term project as I have to basically rebuild everything piece by piece, some stuff is not avaliable anymore:(
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you planning on with it? Just something fun to throw around on backroads? Autocross/track?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with that project.

If there is ANYTHING I can say about owning an older [NA] Miata is that replacement parts are EXTREMELY easy to find and most are quite reasonably priced. I've owned other older vehicles that were horror stories when it came to trying to find replacement parts. That gets really old real fast and pours ice cold water on your enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:02:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: madmacs69] [#5]
No, no you didn't... someone scammed you.

Are you sure yours is a neon engine? I thought they were just EU models.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RED_5:

Indeed, I was quite disappointed.. I want a real mini
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RED_5:
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
FPNI

Indeed, I was quite disappointed.. I want a real mini

Most people are shocked when they see an original Mini because, well, they ARE Mini. When some wheelbarrows have the same size rims and tires and the typical chubbo weighs 230, they become unusable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Most people are shocked when they see an original Mini because, well, they ARE Mini. When some wheelbarrows have the same size rims and tires and the typical chubbo weighs 230, they become unusable.
View Quote
Same with the FIAT Cinquecento (500)  13 Horse power baby!!

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Agilt:
What are you planning on with it? Just something fun to throw around on backroads? Autocross/track?
View Quote

Track day and weekend toy. I probably will aim for around 280 HP.
Ported head, exhaust, rebuilt stock rear end, bigger injectors and rebuilt SC with bigger intercooler.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck with that project.

If there is ANYTHING I can say about owning an older [NA] Miata is that replacement parts are EXTREMELY easy to find and most are quite reasonably priced. I've owned other older vehicles that were horror stories when it came to trying to find replacement parts. That gets really old real fast and pours ice cold water on your enthusiasm.
View Quote

Yeah. This mini has getrag mt285 granny. They don't make parts for it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerranger61007] [#11]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Ported head, exhaust, rebuilt stock rear end, bigger injectors and rebuilt SC with bigger intercooler.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
Originally Posted By Agilt:

Should be fairly unique, don't see too many Minis being used as track toys or even at autocross around here. They're fairly popular for rallycross, especially the "S" models. They also seem to break down on course more than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one. Great car except it was slow, rode like a skateboard on a gravel road, and had no good place to put my phone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

Should be fairly unique, don't see too many Minis being used as track toys or even at autocross around here. They're fairly popular for rallycross, especially the "S" models. They also seem to break down on course more than anything else.
View Quote

That's becaaue after 06 or 07 they started to put BMW engines in them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By foggy:
I had one. Great car except it was slow, rode like a skateboard on a gravel road, and had no good place to put my phone.
View Quote

Yeah they are shopping carts with supercharged engines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Fun little cars, but that's not a gen 1

OG Coopers are some of the baddest little cars around.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]
K swap it and call it a day . Honda parts are everywhere
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Front is off, looks like the car was in a minor fender bender.
Rad shroud cracked. Alternator housing racked and brand new ac compressor.
Air filter was coated in oil and inside of the intercooler is coated in oil.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARHank] [#18]
I suggest you stuff an AWD, turbocharged, Celica powerplant and drivetrain in it.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSOZAHg1yQHU1tc_3Y5MTQg1qjtxA_nq&feature=shared
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Fun cars. We picked up a 2016 mini last year. I was expecting a mess but it's been perfect and fun to drive around town. I added carplay with a a Bimmertech MMI Pro.

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ARHank:
I suggest you stuff an AWD, turbocharged, Celica powerplant and drivetrain in it.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSOZAHg1yQHU1tc_3Y5MTQg1qjtxA_nq&feature=shared
View Quote

The guys at bad obsession are insane. Awesome, but insane

Do wish we would see some updates, it's been a while.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Have an 07 Justa, only thing wrong is the BMW radio's display is totally gone except when it gets cold. PITA.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 12:30:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: haveTwo] [#22]
Learned to drive stick on one.  Also got it down to single digit mpg on track weekends.

Fun go carts!
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It is on a lift and there is some minor rust round the battarey box underneath and the subframe looks rough. I will pull everything down remove rust seal it and coat it. Probably mastercoat or por15. I have a torque plate on the way. Will rebuild supercharger do bigger injectors and do the big valve head mod. Forged rods and pistons are on the way too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#24]
My neighbor has one. It's kinda cool.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 8:50:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#25]
I work on a lot of that era Minis.  My only gripe is how incredibly tight they are to work on.  Just a pain in the dick.  Just changing the drive belt requires a special tool, or to have two people...one person to force the tensioner up with a prybar, and another to install the belt.  

It's almost easier to just remove the engine for a lot of the work, which really isn't terrible.  The core support comes off in an hour, then just use a cherry picker to remove the engine and trans together.

The supercharged ones are even more crap stuffed into the tiny engine bay.

I still like em.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
I work on a lot of that era Minis.  My only gripe is how incredibly tight they are to work on.  Just a pain in the dick.  Just changing the drive belt requires a special tool, or to have two people...one person to force the tensioner up with a prybar, and another to install the belt.  

It's almost easier to just remove the engine for a lot of the work, which really isn't terrible.  The core support comes off in an hour, then just use a cherry picker to remove the engine and trans together.

The supercharged ones are even more crap stuffed into the tiny engine bay.

I still like em.  Have fun!
View Quote

I HATE fixing cars with absolutely no room to actually work on anything. It's my #2 criteria when I look at a vehicle to buy. #1 is reliability. If you can't open the bonnet or look under the vehicle[ ] and easily see everything that one needs to reach for general ongoing maintenance, I'm not interested.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

My buddy has one, it’s a riot. Tops out at 62 mph and you need ear plugs to ride in it, but you can absolutely thrash it and not break any traffic laws.
Link Posted: Today 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top