Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2021 9:50:30 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

My grandfather (born 1922) always carried a canoe pattern Case. At least since the 1980s but I think even long before then. He even had a “stash” of brand new Case canoes, that he kept in a drawer when he finally wore an old one would. He would sharpen the blades on a wet stone until they became little splinters of metal. Then pitch the old worn out knife into the drawer and grab a new one.

This pic is from one that he clearly sharpened a little. But I never remember him carrying it and he didn’t wear this one out; he must not have liked this particular one.

What was the purpose or history of the canoe knife? Extra old fashioned? I never met anyone else who carried a canoe pattern.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
To have a second blade? Seems pretty cut and dry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Rough work and fine work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The big blade was for everyday use and the small one was razor sharp.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Every boy carried a knife back when boys were boys
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Two knives in one.  You didn't have to cut your apples with the same knife you cleaned and trimmed your fingernails with, opened boxes or did other tasks- never mind that the blades were right next to each other and the thing was usually half full of pocket lint and other gunk.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#6]
My FIL carries one as well but in a smaller size. It’s all he’ll carry. Keeps it razor sharp with a wet stone. Fellow can skin and process deer and hog like a pro with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The big blade was for everyday use and the small one was razor sharp.

This.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure what the history of the canoe pattern in particular is, but I think one of the reasons multi bladed pocket knives were popular back in the day was that the steels weren't that great. Today we have folders with steels like m390, elmax and cru-wear that will hold an edge way longer than the 1095 or 420hc that Case uses. Hence the big blade for rough work and small blade for delicate work technique that was common back then.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a Grandpa carried one as a boy.

One kept SHARP, other used for rougher chores
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]
My dad always carried a SAK tinker.

Now I find I normally do as well.

2 blades with screw drivers

Attachment Attached File

I also like the Case trapper. I have my grandfathers. Walmart had some new ones marked down to a couple bucks so I bought a bunch which Ill give to my son and nephews when they're old enough.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Blade shape has most metal for old man to sharpen repeatedly and still last.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the canoe pattern is for style.

ETA "Canoe Pattern" does not mean the two blades.  Look at the shape of the bolsters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#14]

crazy double tap
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Only two blades? Since I was in high school, I've always (and still do) used a three blade Old Timer of Schrade.
The smallest blade is extra sharp, the middle blade is somewhat sharp for skinning insulation from wire, and the large blade for everyday use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if it's area or (more likely) peer dependent? Every "old guy" I knew in my AO carried a Barlow of some flavor. Mostly a Case.

I carried a Case Granddaddy Barlow till I lost it wade fishing in the Shenandoah River then I went to a Mercator.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I grew up minutes from the Case factory.  Everyone carried one of those at one time or another.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#18]
The canoe style is symmetrical, being that the same bolsters were used on both ends. Same with the side panels. So a little less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. Filled the palm on the hand more when using. A time when pennies had buying power.

And an offshoot of the Barlow knife design above was modified years ago into the TL-29, or what is commonly called an electrician’s knife.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got some old knives that were my dads, and ones that were given to me long ago by him when I was a kid that are that style.  He always had a small knife like that in his pocket.  I also have a cheap "dress knife" he'd carry if he and mom went out so it wasn't bulky in his pocket.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
An interesting read. Pocket Knives The spey blade isn't something I use a lot, but it makes for pretty precise work. The sheepsfoot is one I do use a lot when I want precise cuts and want to make sure exactly where I'm cutting. The large general purpose blade can be several shapes, and is for general heavy use.
Why? He probably just liked it, it fit his style, pocket, use, needs, and what ever reason we pick out a pocket knife. Sounds like he was dedicated to the style and brand. Case is a fine brand to be dedicated to.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I think my grandfather carried an Imperial, or something cheap like that. Passed away many years ago, but his pocketknife was around the house when I was a kid.

Don't know what became of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got a nice, brand new case knife somewhere in the basement.

too nice to carry, probably circa 1970s produced, stag, red inlay on the x's.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Back then we didn't worry about a knife being tactical. We always carried a knife for doing mundane things like cutting string. My Boy Scout knife had a can opener blade and one for removing bottle caps. Oh yeah, back then there were no screw off soda tops. Or pull tabs. Doubled as a screwdriver. Also had an awl blade.
Knives were tools to be used. Not to impress your friends with how much you spent for a knife you may never use.
All us kids carried pocket knives. Even in school.
I have a little Swiss Army knife that I carry on my key chain. Comes in handy many times.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#24]
So are you asking about the specific canoe pattern, or multi bladed knives?
The one I always wonder about is the sunfish style, it just seems awkward.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20201020_130313_jpg-1844816.JPG

I also like the Case trapper. I have my grandfathers. Walmart had some new ones marked down to a couple bucks so I bought a bunch which Ill give to my son and nephews when they're old enough.
View Quote

@03RN

Beautiful setup!  What revolver is that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#26]
What’s all this “old man” stuff y’all are talking about?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Have Case knives become the target of hipsters yet?  I sure hope the fuck not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My old 3 blade case has one blade marked "for flesh only"
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So are you asking about the specific canoe pattern, or multi bladed knives?
The one I always wonder about is the sunfish style, it just seems awkward.
View Quote

The specific canoe pattern; with two similar shaped blades; neither with much of a point.

I suspect my grandfather liked it because it was a wider knife and fit his hand more, for wood working and carving and such. Perhaps because you could sharpen them longer and more times. I’ve started carrying the Case canoe a little bit to see if it’s usefulness is apparent or it will rub off on me.

But the canoe pattern in general just seems like and odd pattern for a knife. Two blades; neither are blunt but neither are pointed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What’s all this “old man” stuff y’all are talking about?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55995/1F4266E2-FE50-448E-BEB4-5C7A0E19E301_jpe-1845151.JPG
View Quote

I personally like both of those better than a canoe pattern. My first Old Timer as a kid was that pattern.

And I’ve got this similar Schrade on the table today.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Dad had a couple similar, thinking Buck and Case, have to dig them out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Dad's everyday carry

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@03RN

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20201020_130313_jpg-1844816.JPG

@03RN

Just a m66-8
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Around here it was the Stockman. Spey blade is for cutting bulls, sheepsfoot for feet trimming, big blade for anything needing a big blade.  

My papaw always carried a 4 bladed Congress in Voss Cut Hen and Rooster.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think the canoe pattern is for style.

ETA "Canoe Pattern" does not mean the two blades.  Look at the shape of the bolsters.
View Quote

In my opinion--and totally uneducated--the "canoe" shape was not the aim.  It is the result of having finger guards designed into the bolsters on both sides of the knife, since both sides have blades.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have Case knives become the target of hipsters yet?  I sure hope the fuck not.
View Quote

Everything I like

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I find an awl more useful than a second blade most of the time. Scoring a line, opening boxes (and avoiding tape residue on the main blade), popping a vent hole in my beer ,...
My father carried Vic Classics and used them often. He was a fabricator and mechanic so if he needed something more he would just go grab a full-sized tool. He really liked the mini Leatherman I got for him after he lost a Classic to the TSA, I also bought him a Vic Cadet he didn't take to; both surprised me.
I feel like buying a sodbuster now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I guess I'm weird. I keep the large blade on my SAK razor sharp in case I need it, and use the small blade for the daily tasks that dull, like boxes and paper.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Case knives are becoming collector's items now. I have a couple of Camillus stockman knives. One on the night stand and one by the computer. Got them from Smokey Mountain Knife Works years ago. And a few trappers knives.
Oh hell, I have knives of various sorts all over the place.
I use to buy the little Case single blade folders. I liked the Christmas ones. Easy to carry in your pocket.
Too bad Camillus is out of business. They made good knives. Or is it Schrade? Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Schrades been out of business for years. They made 100 years and closed the doors to the factory in 2004. I had a family friend that worked at the factory in Elenville NY.
Now Schrade knives are made in China and is name only and nothing to do with he original company.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Why that pattern?

Perhaps he simply liked it.

My own Grandfather was an electrician by trade and tended to carry what he called an electrician's knife. I forget who made them, but they were all metal and stamped Kamp King on the sides. It was like a Swiss Army Knife, but with a large bail instead of a ring. He would use them until the bails wore in two, or the blades wore out. He carried them until the day he died. I have two of them. One was the last one he used, the other a like new one he never got to.

It looked like this...

Attachment Attached File

I personally have carried a Victorinox SAK of some kind since I was a kid.
The two blade thing is easy to explain. For general use I use the small blade all the time. When I need to cut something larger, I break out the large blade. I would imagine that idea could be transferred from knife to knife, person to person.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:48:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:30:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why that pattern?

Perhaps he simply liked it.

My own Grandfather was an electrician by trade and tended to carry what he called an electrician's knife. I forget who made them, but they were all metal and stamped Kamp King on the sides. It was like a Swiss Army Knife, but with a large bail instead of a ring. He would use them until the bails wore in two, or the blades wore out. He carried them until the day he died. I have two of them. One was the last one he used, the other a like new one he never got to.

It looked like this...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3003/s-l400_jpg-1846348.JPG

I personally have carried a Victorinox SAK of some kind since I was a kid.
The two blade thing is easy to explain. For general use I use the small blade all the time. When I need to cut something larger, I break out the large blade. I would imagine that idea could be transferred from knife to knife, person to person.
View Quote

@JDemond
I've read that those older camp knives don't have as strong of springs as SAKs do and it is advised to not open them like that. Fwiw, wouldn't want to have your grandfather's knife break!
I'm also a huge SAK fan; I generally go between a Cadet and Pioneer and keep an Alox Bantam in my wallet. In my 5th pocket right now (the ring helps pull it out quickly)-
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@JDemond
I've read that those older camp knives don't have as strong of springs as SAKs do and it is advised to not open them like that. Fwiw, wouldn't want to have your grandfather's knife break!
I'm also a huge SAK fan; I generally go between a Cadet and Pioneer and keep an Alox Bantam in my wallet. In my 5th pocket right now (the ring helps pull it out quickly)-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/516916/IMG_20210309_012451951_jpg-1858324.JPG
View Quote

All his knives are retired. I keep them because they were his, but I have never used them at all.

I have kept a SAK in my pocket since I was a kid. My first was a Camper that I lost, but suspect it's serving someone well to this day. Then a couple Recruits, a Tinker, one Deluxe Tinker I just retired, and my newest is a SwissChamp. I would love it if we could design our own one off knives. I never knew I needed scissors or pliers in a pocket knife until the Deluxe Tinker, but the SwissChamp is overly large with a couple items I could do without.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Two knives in one.  You didn't have to cut your apples with the same knife you cleaned and trimmed your fingernails with, opened boxes or did other tasks- never mind that the blades were right next to each other and the thing was usually half full of pocket lint and other gunk.
View Quote

But using the same knife to cut your apples as you use for everything else, is like a couple levels down from eating at Golden Corral. It's probably not the most sanitary option, but it'll build your immune system up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My old 3 blade case has one blade marked "for flesh only"
View Quote

My FIL was from Montana, he said the sheepshank one (or whatever its called) with the curved down point was for castrating sheep and pigs. I assume that was the blade on yours. After you see it done a few times, you understand the concept. Of course now I do the lambs with the rubber bands and its not as bloody.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:17:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Not all knives need to be tactical
Most people will never get in a knife fight
Grandpas knife and others like it helped build America.  Opened up stuff for their lunch while at work in the mills and mines.  Not some fancy $500 tanto blade folder with G10 grips and anodized titanium screws.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#48]
My small armada.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#49]

My Dad always carried a Case canoe.  

He said a "butterbean" carried best in his pocket.  Simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a Case canoe knife.  I never carry it.  I always have the medium Stockman or their single blade Barlow in my pocket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top