Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Kurt Tank was a genius.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#2]
Something different:

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Santa Claus was too popular to kill off at this Christmas party in 1941, but Hitler would soon recast him as Odin.  Christmas was ideologically unacceptable to Hitler for obvious reasons, so the Nazis first tried replacing the Christian symbolism with Nazi propaganda to mixed results, then resurrected the Germanic pagan winter festival of Yule, on which many Christmas traditions are based.  Stars were replaced with swastikas, trees were decorated with hand grenade ornaments, Silent Night was rewritten to praise Hitler.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Christmas became a day of remembrance for the dead and suffering fighting men as the war turned sour
Attachment Attached File

Auschwitz operations manager/adjutant to the commandant SS Obersturmfurher Karl-Friedrich Hoecker lights a candle on a Yule tree in December 1944, shortly before the camp was liberated, probably in the hall at a nearby recreational camp built for Auschwitz staff
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#4]
A Wermacht Christmas card I saw in a Volksmuseum really put the war in a different light for me.

Growing up in the 1970s US we saw tons of WW2 movies - all depicting every German as a Nazi and an enemy.

Fact is:  most Wehrmacht soldiers were not party members; propaganda was pervasive, effective, and without available alternatives for most Germans.

Today: wife & kids are Germans (though US citizens).  I’ve taught my kids that it’s crucial for them to learn WW2 history, since their ancestors were active on both sides of the war.

This was not the exact Christmas card, but it expresses the idea:  most of these guys were simply soldiers.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
A Wermacht Christmas card I saw in a Volksmuseum really put the war in a different light for me.

Growing up in the 1970s US we saw tons of WW2 movies - all depicting every German as a Nazi and an enemy.

Fact is:  most Wehrmacht soldiers were not party members; propaganda was pervasive, effective, and without available alternatives for most Germans.

Today: wife & kids are Germans (though US citizens).  I’ve taught my kids that it’s crucial for them to learn WW2 history, since their ancestors were active on both sides of the war.

This was not the exact Christmas card, but it expresses the idea:  most of these guys were simply soldiers.

https://usmbooks.com/images/AK/AK283.jpg
View Quote

My family is of 100% German heritage.  My grandfather fought in WWII and they spoke German in the home in the 1920's and 30's still.   In his memoirs he talked about the fact that it was difficult knowing it was very likely he was fighting against cousins.   I've mentioned this earlier in this thread, he had several German POWs that worked for him that were great workers, farm kids just like him that in other circumstances would have been friends.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:

My family is of 100% German heritage.  My grandfather fought in WWII and they spoke German in the home in the 1920's and 30's still.   In his memoirs he talked about the fact that it was difficult knowing it was very likely he was fighting against cousins.   I've mentioned this earlier in this thread, he had several German POWs that worked for him that were great workers, farm kids just like him that in other circumstances would have been friends.
View Quote

@jblomenberg16 - Have his memoirs been published?  Where can it be purchased?  Did your GF serve in intelligence or called upon to be an interpreter?  
Chinese with Pak 37
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Very rare image only 18 produced total!
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Poor bastard. Probably frozen solid and thrown there by artillery I am guessing?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Berlin 1945. payback for Stalingrad I suppose.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deere_John_16] [#10]
Originally Posted By 4v50:

@jblomenberg16 - Have his memoirs been published?  Where can it be purchased?  Did your GF serve in intelligence or called upon to be an interpreter?  
Chinese with Pak 37
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/d2/5f/a3d25f549f7b72d133cf83b8338a5855.jpg
View Quote

@4v50

Thanks for asking.  They haven't been published, but we did transfer them from hand written pages into a word document a few years before he died.  The first few pages were his handwriting, and then as he got older and his handwriting was a challenge (70  years of farming and carpentry caught up with him) my grandmother wrote the remaining pages.

They take us from his initial entry into the Army, to testing for flight school (highest score in the room, but failed admission because he only had and 8th grade education).  He was in the 2nd service command and helped build up for the D-day invasions, went in D+3 to start to help establish the beach head logistics.  He eventually worked to open up the port a LeHavre, and spend a little time in Belgium.  

I've been working on a project to put together a bit more of a history book for our family.  He's been gone about 5 years now , and grandma is in her 90s, so there won't be much oral history left.    We spent a day with her this summer going through Grandpas war stuff, and found his original haversack, including his M1 Carbine cleaning kit (he LOVED the Carbine).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

I'll bet the people in Germany and Japan felt like that's what the sky looked like late in the war.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By birdbarian:
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
4,500 model airplanes hung from the ceiling of Union Station, 1943
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/8132_chicago_union_station_concourse_int-1722225.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/Model-Planes-on-the-Ceiling_jpg-1722224.JPG

"In 1942, shortly after Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt committed the U.S. economy to the production of 60,000 warplanes that year, and suggested that as many as 185,000 aircraft might be produced by the end of 1943. He turned out to be almost correct. In June 1944, TIME reported 171,257 aircraft produced since Pearl Harbor. In 1942, however, those were Herculean goals, yet to be achieved, and as part of an effort to help Americans understand the task before them, a fleet of 4,500 model airplanes was suspended from the ceiling of Chicago's Union Station. Once you absorb the spectacle of 4,500 planes, of course, then comes the whammy: That's only 1/48th of the production goal. The image above is 600 pixels wide. At that scale, if your monitor's pitch is 72 dpi, an image of all 185,000 planes would be 33 feet wide."

I'll bet the people in Germany and Japan felt like that's what the sky looked like late in the war.

Yeah. And by that time we owned the air. IIRC there were thousand plane raids at one point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

https://usmbooks.com/images/AK/AK283.jpg
View Quote

We briefly has a neighbor that has served in the Wehrmacht during WW2. He has studied in the States prewar and returned home and got drafted.

Because he had been in the States he knew just what he was in for when war broke out and wisely threw in the towel the first chance he got. He spent his war in the south somewhere working on a farm.

I was a small boy at the time and referred to him as a Nazi once.

Big mistake. Both my father and my uncle went off on me something fierce. I got told he was not a Nazi but some poor bastard of a draftee that found his pecker in a wringer.

I think it was a good lesson learned early.

Wars are generally fought by people that don't want to be there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Luftwaffe Siebelfähre

Siebel ferry
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#15]

VOMAG 7 OR 660

Selbstfahrlafette auf Fahrgestell VOMAG 7 or 660 mit 8,8 cm Flak

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/3EEgJCq.jpg

Luftwaffe Siebelfhre

Siebel ferry
View Quote
That thing may be bristling but as a boat it does not inspire confidence.  They would have needed the calmest weather ever.  Operation Sea Lion would not have ended well for them IMO.

18 year old USCG Seaman John J. Kelley shows his helmet hit by a German bullet on D-Day
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DT120:

Poor bastard. Probably frozen solid and thrown there by artillery I am guessing?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DT120:

The Finns were known to do that to Soviet corpses as a way to incite fear.

@DT120.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:

The Finns were known to do that to Soviet corpses as a way to incite fear.

@DT120.
View Quote

Interesting. Was not aware.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Bombed out church in Dover
Attachment Attached File

Recent photo.  Re-built again, then neglected
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Hungarians
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Hungarian 43M Zrinyi II 105mm assault gun
Attachment Attached File

Blown up in Budapest
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Whoops. Reminds me of Italian tanks...
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Typhoon? Dutch kids?
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Id say yes, the wooden clogs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hdhogman] [#27]
LOL! Just saw this today.......
Santa is Captured by the Russians
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:
https://i.imgur.com/RWtIZYr.jpg

View Quote

Now Nashorn!  Now Hummel!  Now Luchs and Hetzer!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By distrflman:

Typhoon? Dutch kids?
View Quote

Originally Posted By hdhogman:
View Quote

I was more interested in the bullet hole in the fuselage. Tough commute for Santa.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:37:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hdhogman] [#30]
Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:

I was more interested in the bullet hole in the fuselage. Tough commute for Santa.
View All Quotes

Typhoon? Dutch kids?

Yep.
Never understood the markings, looks like a nice target to get a fix on.
Looks like something is protruding out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Some smaller aircraft/helicopters I’ve been around have ground handling devices attached.  Some recess into the skin.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Is  the posting of casualty pictures permitted in this thread?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By doc540:
View Quote

As long as it doesn't show any tits.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Somebody explain the barrel on the M4A3 to me?  (Norw, hatch appears opened)  Hidden?  Bent?  Damaged?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Yep.
View All Quotes

Typhoon? Dutch kids?

Yep.
its the girls hairbow....
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#36]
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
GI's lifting a wounded German atop of a M20 scout car:

Soviets and Panther

Hande hoch Heine!

Soviet anti-tank rifleman:
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:45:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#38]

Yep.
View All Quotes

Typhoon? Dutch kids?

Yep.

Attachment Attached File

Note the square patch (repaired battle damage) in the bottom left of the "A" and another patch (the oval plate) in the RAF Roundel.

That Typhoon has been IN the fighting...
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Somebody explain the barrel on the M4A3 to me?  (Norw, hatch appears opened)  Hidden?  Bent?  Damaged?
https://i.redd.it/200yi3wltls41.jpg
View Quote
Hidden inside the building I think.

M3 Grant command tank, Italy, 6th South African Armoured Division.  The 75mm hull mount has been removed and replaced with a radio judging from the antenna sticking out of the hatch, a wooden dummy 75mm gun has been mounted on the 37mm turret which has apparently been gutted to make room for two more radios, and a daringly exposed chair has been mounted right in front of the turret.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Other Grants converted to command tanks made a more elaborate effort to pass as Shermans at a distance, with a dummy gun and sloped hull that eliminated the sponson and clipped corners.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#40]
Just a few months before war's end, the fast carrier USS Bunker Hill was the Task Force flagship of Vice-Admiral Mitscher with Arleigh Burke as his Chief of Staff.

On May 11, 1945 it was surprised by two lone kamikaze planes both of which made well aimed hits within 30 seconds of each other.

The second bomb exploded near the pilots' ready room and killed 22 pilots, many who weren't killed by the bomb blast tried to escape  the suffocating inferno to no avail.

The Bunker Hill didn't sink or blow up but survived due to the heroic efforts of her crew who died at their posts fighting to save the ship.

352 dead, 264 injured, 41 missing

These pictures of the ready room inferno and trapped pilots just haunt me.  :(

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Just a few months before war's end, the fast carrier USS Bunker Hill was the Task Force flagship of Vice-Admiral Mitscher with Arleigh Burke as his Chief of Staff.

On May 11, 1945 it was surprised by two lone kamikaze planes both of which made well aimed hits within 30 seconds of each other.

The second bomb exploded near the pilots' ready room and killed 22 pilots, many who weren't killed by the bomb blast tried to escape  the suffocating inferno to no avail.

The Bunker Hill didn't sink or blow up but survived due to the heroic efforts of her crew who died at their posts fighting to save the ship.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183309/bunkerhill1_jpg-1751221.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183309/bunkerhill2_jpg-1751228.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:47:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: birdbarian] [#42]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183309/bunkerhill1_jpg-1751221.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183309/bunkerhill2_jpg-1751228.JPG
View Quote

Rest in peace shipmates.

Fire never scared me until I went into the Navy. I know what it can do now, and it scares the shit outta me now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:54:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#43]
Soviet aerosans
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

1942 German (Czech) prototype, Tatra V855
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Dreamboat B-17E with B-24 turrets and some other modifications.

From a Reddit post.
The Dreamboat replaced the standard B-17E nose and tail turrets with the powered B-24 positions, swapped dorsal turrets, removed the waist positions in exchange for a powered twin .50cal position in the radio room, modified the bomb bay doors, and strengthened the oxygen system. The crew was reduced to 8 and the flying characteristics improved, and while popular with the test crews the modifications were too extensive to be implemented and thus passed over in order to not disrupt production numbers.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Koryu midget submarines in drydock at Kure Japan before and after allied bombing

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#48]
T8 "limited standard" recce:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 37mm gun on Stuarts wasn't enough to duke it out with most German tanks by the time any were encountered, so a number of them were field modified for the reconnaissance role by Allied forces by lifting off the turret and substituting a machine gun ring with a .50, sometimes with a gun shield.  Removing the turret made them better reconnaissance vehicles by lowering the profile and the reduced weight increased speed, reduced ground pressure, and reduced wear on the drive train.  

Not sure exactly what's going on with this one, they may have built a fixed shield at the sides and rear to stop rifle caliber fire and splinters at the expense of limiting gun traverse:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
T8 "limited standard" recce:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuart-recce_jpg-1759342.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/Tr51680-1_jpg-1759349.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuart_v_jpg-1759348.JPG

The 37mm gun on Stuarts wasn't enough to duke it out with most German tanks by the time any were encountered, so a number of them were field modified for the reconnaissance role by Allied forces by lifting off the turret and substituting a machine gun ring with a .50, sometimes with a gun shield.  Removing the turret made them better reconnaissance vehicles by lowering the profile and the reduced weight increased speed, reduced ground pressure, and reduced wear on the drive train.  

Not sure exactly what's going on with this one, they may have built a fixed shield at the sides and rear to stop rifle caliber fire and splinters at the expense of limiting gun traverse:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172926/stuart-recce-2_jpg-1759344.JPG
View Quote

Thats pretty cool... I never knew they did that. Was the Browning on a skate ring around the turret opening? It's kind of hard to tell
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#50]
They're field mods, so probably every which way.  Some sources say they were M49 ring mounts normally used on trucks and halftracks, and I'm pretty sure that's what we're seeing in the top down photo, but it wouldn't shock me if some were simple pedestal mounts.

Built up lip around the fighting compartment and a higher gun mount, modified for the crew to work in a standing position?  Apparently a brigadier general's command vehicle:
Attachment Attached File

Weather tarp:
Attachment Attached File

Page / 158
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top