Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2024 12:05:08 AM EDT
Not sure what to do here.  I have had my PRS SE Mark Holcolmb for sale for quite a while now. Not really in a hurry to sell it but it is for sale. Here is a pic...

He wants to trade me for this Epiphone BB King. Anyone have an opinion. Here are the pics and details he sent me.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Only my personal opinion but I would make the trade. I like the look and sound of the BB King instrument more.

I've zero feel for pricing or comparative values though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If I recall correctly, PRS SE models are their value line?
And Epiphone is a value line Gibson.
Yes I know the Epiphone story.

I had a bandmate buy a nice Epiphone Les Paul years ago.
He couldnt afford a Gibson.
The store had a LOT of them.  Quality and playability obviously varied and he played many of them for a while to find a good one.

I would have to play the Epiphone for a while to determine if it was doable.  Hard to do in a trade situation sometimes.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I vote diabeetes
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I guess it depends. Do you need or are you looking for a semi hollow body? In the early 90’s the Epiphones were kinda iffy in quality but for the last couple decades they’ve really stepped up their game and make decent guitars now from what I can tell. I just ordered an Epiphone Les Paul to go with my collection of Gibson’s if that says anything.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want a 335/355 style guitar and don't play the current one then sure give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:36:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By networkguru:
If I recall correctly, PRS SE models are their value line?
And Epiphone is a value line Gibson.
Yes I know the Epiphone story.

I had a bandmate buy a nice Epiphone Les Paul years ago.
He couldnt afford a Gibson.
The store had a LOT of them.  Quality and playability obviously varied and he played many of them for a while to find a good one.

I would have to play the Epiphone for a while to determine if it was doable.  Hard to do in a trade situation sometimes.

View Quote

Today's Epi's are not your daddy's Oldsmobile. I have handled several, and own several, that were as good or better than the Gibson counterparts. This is in fit, finish, playability, workmanship, etc.

I would want the serial number and throw it into the online serial checker to make sure it isn't a Chinese knock off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:

Today's Epi's are not your daddy's Oldsmobile. I have handled several, and own several, that were as good or better than the Gibson counterparts. This is in fit, finish, playability, workmanship, etc.

I would want the serial number and throw it into the online serial checker to make sure it isn't a Chinese knock off.
View Quote

Dude what the fuck?  You do know Olds was the best GM brand, right?  These fucking guys sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The PRS has always been a work of art. But the epiphone has a lot of history. This is a tough one.  But I think if the truth was known the PRS has probably been used in more studio sessions.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

Dude what the fuck?  You do know Olds was the best GM brand, right?  These fucking guys sometimes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tell me you don't remember the commercials.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Looking at the prices on Reverb,  your current guitar is worth substantially more.

I'd probably make a trade (not a PRS fan but also not a fan of the Lucille wiring) but he would have to make up the difference with some cash.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
Looking at the prices on Reverb,  your current guitar is worth substantially more.

I'd probably make a trade (not a PRS fan but also not a fan of the Lucille wiring) but he would have to make up the difference with some cash.
View Quote

This is the approach I went with. He was looking for an even trade and it just wasnt worth it to me. I was just going to flip his to sell anyway. I'm only selling to generate funds for a PRS Hollow Body II Piezo, so the pliability wasnt a factor. We were just too far apart so I will just keep mine listed and if it doesnt sell before I save enough money for the hollow body I will just keep it. It is a fine instrument, and I have no problem keeping it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LOL I know I know but I've never seen one of the commercials only the magazine ads from pictures or at swap meets.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
PRS /= Ephiphone.. if you want his buy it and leave yours up for sale or have him throw some cash in on that trade.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That's really not that lopsided of a deal. Both go for around $1k new. Both sell for a range between $700 and $850 used in excellent condition. There is a much smaller market for the Epiphone so very few samples to get an average from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top