BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"All fully vaccinated U.S. citizens must provide proof of vaccination AND a negative COVID-19 test result within three days of boarding a flight to Hawaii"

View Quote

That is for international travel only.  Travelers from the mainland need either proof of vaccination OR Covid test
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

"All fully vaccinated U.S. citizens must provide proof of vaccination AND a negative COVID-19 test result within three days of boarding a flight to Hawaii"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Think that's only for US Citizens coming from a foreign country...
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  Thanks for all the great advice, guys!  This is why I love Arfcom; no matter what the subject, someone here will be an expert in it.

Took the test @ the Hawaii tourism website.  Not interested in shopping, not interested in golf, yes to volcanoes, yes to snorkeling/SCUBA etc.  This was my result:

Maui (115 points)> Big Island (114 points)> Kauai (113 points)> Oahu (98 points)

So looks like Maui and the Big Island should be where I spend the most time.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thirty six year resident here with time living on both Oahu and now currently on the Big Island.  I've been to 7 of the 8 major Hawaiian islands (just need Niihau) so let throw a few things out there for your consideration...

- Re: locals "hating" haoles and other tourists is way overblown.  In my time here I can count the number of negative interactions with locals on one hand and have a couple of fingers and thumb left over.  I have also lost count of all the extremely good interactions that I have had.  

- Unless you come from an area that had no Covid restrictions requiring masks, you'll find it isn't that bad.  You have to wear one indoors or enclosed spaces in public but there is no requirement outside.  For restaurants, wear the mask until seated and then remove it to take a sip of water and leave it off until you stand up.  Currently only Oahu and Maui have Covid card checks for indoor dining, no restrictions on the Big Island or Kauai.  Check the State's Safe Travels website before coming to keep up with the latest changes.  Now that we are past the Delta wave the State is trying to loosen things up.

-  For Oahu, if you want the Waikiki nightlife go ahead and book a stay but if your main focus is USS Arizona and the Ford Island attractions then I recommend you fly into Honolulu airport, book 2 nights and a car, see the sites and then fly to another island.  If you want to save a little money, stay at the Ala Moana Hotel as you easily walk to Waikiki and it is adjacent to the largest shopping center on Oahu.

-  For the volcano you will have to go to the Big Island so I recommend you spend the rest of your trip there.  I know a lot of folks like Maui and that's ok but I think the Big Island has pretty much the same attractions only better.  Better diving/snorkeling, much better fishing, some unique beaches and even an alpaca farm .  There are better historic/cultural sites relating to Hawaiian history such as heiau (temples), trails and petroglyphs.  You'll get to see a variety of climates from the wet jungles on the Hilo side to the dry desolate somewhat recent (geologic time) flows on the Kona side.  I recommend staying at one of the hotels in the Waikoloa Beach resort area.  You will definitely need to rent a vehicle.  

- Kilauea volcano is currently erupting and red lava is visible in the crater but activity is confined to the crater with no current breakouts.  You can see it from the ground at Volcano National Park but expect crowds.  The best way, I think, is by helicopter.  Helicopter tours can be pricey but it is truly a once in a lifetime experience.  I recommend Paradise Helicopters and have flown with them for work monthly for the last couple of years.  I think DK-Prof can vouch for them as well.

- I think the rental car shortage situation is getting better but if you are having trouble getting a reservation, look into using Turo.  It's like AirBnB for vehicles.  I used it twice when on Kauai for work last year and it was a great experience.

- To take the interisland hop from Oahu to the Big Island I will echo the recommendation to take Mokulele Airlines.  Tickets are a value, only 9 people per flight and they generally fly well below the big jets so it is almost like a sightseeing tour.  From Honolulu you might stop on Molokai and Maui on the way to Kona.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
View Quote
And special thanks to you.  Was hoping I'd get a local.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is for international travel only.  Travelers from the mainland need either proof of vaccination OR Covid test
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummmm..not sure what you mean here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maui (115 points)> Big Island (114 points)> Kauai (113 points)> Oahu (98 points)
View Quote

Not a bad ranking.  You need to go to all of them in your lifetime, I think, as they are all quite different.  I'd probably swap Kauai with Maui for my ranking, but for scuba, I think Maui > Kauai, so there you go!
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof of vax AND negative test is for travelers coming from a foreign country. (This applies to all foreign flights into the US, not just Hawaii)

US Citizens flying in from the mainland need Proof of vax OR a negative test.

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Beach, Speedo, cocktails.....repeat.
View Quote

Speedo?!?!!!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Subject to change without notice!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They told me the best beach on the island was at the Prince Hapuna, and compared to the east coast beaches I’m used to they sucked.
View Quote

LOL VA beaches.  Hard packed mud and brown water.  I would rather have rocky beaches and clear blue water!!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Big Island is hands down my favorite.
Would consider retiring there too.

Have never lived there but I have spent over a month visiting.

Negative/anti white interactions are a little overblown but worth noting.
I backed away from a conversation I was having with a local (who had lived near me in San Diego for a few years) when his drunk/high brother walked up, refused to shake hands with me when I was introduced and started balling up his fists and staring at me.
Got a similar reaction out of the husband of the lady who cleaned our rental house when I politely declined his offer to smoke weed with him.
Otherwise everybody has been either cold/neutral or exceedingly nice.

Some of it is not being an obnoxious tourist, being respectful and sociable. (don't be a douche or a Karen).

The big island is not one giant sandy beach but there are some real hidden gems. Some are a hike, some are just out of the way.

It is easily the most diverse place I have ever seen. Hot, dry almost desert area by Kona, Tropical rain forests in Hilo, volcanic wasteland in the middle and rolling grassy hills that look like Scotland and prairies that look like the midwest. All within an hour and a half drive.

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Been to Maui, Kauai, and Molokai.

Maui - great beaches that are not too crowded.  Scuba diving was OK, just not as much coral and sea life as I was expecting. Go to the inactive volcano for scuba.  Don’t go on the snorkel trip there, too crowded. Trip to the inland inactive volcano for sunrise was OK, crowded and very cold, bring warm clothes if you plan to do that. You can find lots of nice restaurants but most were very crowded.  This was the only island where I saw shark caution signs at the beaches, probably for good reason.  Good snorkeling from the beaches.  Try the fresh poke it’s available in the grocery stores and restaurants, many different types.

Kauai - driving was terrible, single lane each way on most of the island so traffic jams were the norm. Cruising the Kona coast was excellent, take a cruise with food and booze. Allow plenty of time to drive to dock.

Molokai - this was my favorite island because it is one of the least popular and least populated. Isolated beaches, almost private but there always seemed to be someone else around.  Not much nightlife or many restaurants so grocery store and cook for yourself.

I wanted to fish at one of the islands but it was too expensive.

Expect to pay more for gas and about everything else.

For shopping bring your own shopping bags as single use plastic bags are outlawed.  There are probably more environmental rules that will affect you that I don’t remember.

If you really want an unforgettable vacation go to French Polynesia.  Fishing, diving, snorkeling, empty beaches, beautiful clear blue water.  Giant clams, manta rays, sharks, coral reefs and lots of fish. Best warm weather vacation place ever.  

Land purchase is difficult for foreigners.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Nope, they don't need my tourist money that bad.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Been to Maui, Kauai, and Molokai.

Maui - great beaches that are not too crowded.  Scuba diving was OK, just not as much coral and sea life as I was expecting. Go to the inactive volcano for scuba (Molokini, sits between Maui and Kaho`olawe).  Don’t go on the snorkel trip there, too crowded. Trip to the inland inactive volcano (Haleakala) for sunrise was OK, crowded and very cold, bring warm clothes if you plan to do that. You can find lots of nice restaurants but most were very crowded.  This was the only island where I saw shark caution signs at the beaches, probably for good reason.  Good snorkeling from the beaches.  Try the fresh poke it’s available in the grocery stores and restaurants, many different types.

Kauai - driving was terrible, single lane each way on most of the island so traffic jams were the norm. Cruising the Kona coast was excellent, take a cruise with food and booze. Allow plenty of time to drive to dock.

Molokai - this was my favorite island because it is one of the least popular and least populated. Isolated beaches, almost private but there always seemed to be someone else around.  Not much nightlife or many restaurants so grocery store and cook for yourself.

I wanted to fish at one of the islands but it was too expensive.

Expect to pay more for gas and about everything else.

For shopping bring your own shopping bags as single use plastic bags are outlawed. (Almost every store now gives out paper bags instead) There are probably more environmental rules that will affect you that I don’t remember.

If you really want an unforgettable vacation go to French Polynesia.  Fishing, diving, snorkeling, empty beaches, beautiful clear blue water.  Giant clams, manta rays, sharks, coral reefs and lots of fish. Best warm weather vacation place ever.  

Land purchase is difficult for foreigners.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
They’ve got the floating air compressor things at Molokini now.  No SCUBA required.  20’ air line though, so not very deep.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh one tip that applies to Oahu, Maui, and the Kona side of the Big Island: Costo membership will save you big on gas.  If you're not a member, it MIGHT be worth it just by itself to save on gas, knick knacks, Hawaiian shirts (best value for the money by far) and stuff.  Especially if you cook your own food for like 1-2 meals a day over a week.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:57:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh one tip that applies to Oahu, Maui, and the Kona side of the Big Island: Costo membership will save you big on gas.  If you're not a member, it MIGHT be worth it just by itself to save on gas, knick knacks, Hawaiian shirts (best value for the money by far) and stuff.  Especially if you cook your own food for like 1-2 meals a day over a week.
View Quote

Good advice, gas is almost a buck cheaper at Kona Costco.  Don't rely on them for aloha shirts or souvenirs, stockage varies from week to week.  Rotisserie chicken is a great value!
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 2:12:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a blast in Oahu. We stayed in Waikiki then we went to North Shore. Finally, at my cousins wedding I got way too shit faced. I want to go to the Big Island for my next trip and stop off at any waterfalls and see volcanos and shit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is getting to be pretty standard if you fly out of country too.   I hope not all state to state soon. It's a pain in ass
Some places 48 hour negative covid test.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 4:08:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To be fair, if you're getting lava flows on Kauai, then you have a whole new and exciting problem!!  

Barking Sands beach is amazing.  Not as beautiful as Ke'e, but so epic and so wonderfully empty!  
View Quote
Queens pond at Polihale is my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep.

We bought the land - on the Big Island - earlier this year.  The plan is to build our retirement house and move there in 2025.  (Assuming investments, etc. don’t get totally screwed up).

Here’s a view from our lot.  Whales in the winter, and spinner dolphins year round.  There’s a harbor five minutes drive away with a good dive shop/boat as well as good shore diving.  Good local beaches (not frequented by tourists) are also five minutes away.  Waimea is about 20-30 minutes, and Kona Kailua is about 40 minutes drive.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/3D3A0B6E-AEC4-4F88-93C0-B3C649D75B72-2131793.jpg
View Quote

Awesome lot DK
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Having grown up in Florida I thought I was gonna hate Hawaii because I usually avoid hot humid places anymore living in the dry west.

Went for the first time February of this year. Flight was dirt cheap, 5 star hotel on Waikiki was dirt cheap. Most people weren’t traveling yet. Ended up really really enjoying it.

Went to Pearl Harbor, north shore to see the insane surfers, the Japanese temple was really cool, the blowholes on the ocean, had some really good food (best poke I’ve ever had.)

Weather in February was great. Man does the sun feel hot there though.  It’s like a laser beam.

It was a really fun four days.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

That mondo grocery store on the way in to the Hilton at Waikoloa Village has some awesome deals. Local made shirts for like $20, an awesome deli, just about anything you could want.

The Hilton itself is like Disneyland, take a train or canal boat to your building, all kinds of cool gardens, etc.  Got a tour of the underground there; it’s all linked up with underground passages.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#26]
2 weeks minimum, regardless of island. I'd suggest Kauai but heard Covid, masks, tests and shots are basically CNN perception. Good luck
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Big Island is hands down my favorite.
Would consider retiring there too.

Have never lived there but I have spent over a month visiting.

Negative/anti white interactions are a little overblown but worth noting.
I backed away from a conversation I was having with a local (who had lived near me in San Diego for a few years) when his drunk/high brother walked up, refused to shake hands with me when I was introduced and started balling up his fists and staring at me.
Got a similar reaction out of the husband of the lady who cleaned our rental house when I politely declined his offer to smoke weed with him.
Otherwise everybody has been either cold/neutral or exceedingly nice.

Some of it is not being an obnoxious tourist, being respectful and sociable. (don't be a douche or a Karen).

The big island is not one giant sandy beach but there are some real hidden gems. Some are a hike, some are just out of the way.

It is easily the most diverse place I have ever seen. Hot, dry almost desert area by Kona, Tropical rain forests in Hilo, volcanic wasteland in the middle and rolling grassy hills that look like Scotland and prairies that look like the midwest. All within an hour and a half drive.

View Quote

The Big Island has 10 of the world’s 14 climate zones.  A trip around the perimeter of the island, which can be done in a day with a few stops, will take you through most of them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I dunno, really; like I said, I've never been, & that's why I axt the hivemind.  As they say, "I don't know what I don't know".  What are the "If you're in Hawaii you MUST see this!!!" kind of things?  Like I said, active volcano, USS Arizona memorial; those are the only "must-see" things on my list right now.  Going hiking thru some of that incredible tropical forest w/ the parrots & such would sure be another.
View Quote

There are a lot of good recommendations posted here.  I think it’s been mentioned, but to see both the Arizona and active volcanoes you will need to visit Oahu and the Big Island.

The volcano on the Big Island is active right now.  It wasn’t last year (or the year before, Covid dementia).  So, if that’s a big goal, see it now before it goes dormant again.  My novice trip recommendation would be stay in Kona, drive around the top side (Akaka Falls side) early headed to Hilo.  Schedule a mid day helicopter ride with Paradise Helicopters, no doors style.  See the volcano from above.  Drive around the other side of the island to Volcanoes National Park and look around.  Finish the day driving back to Kona watching the moonrise off the coast.

If you’re on Oahu, Pearl Harbor will take the majority of a day.  Near Waikiki there is plenty to do.  Diamond head is a neat short hike.  Hanauma Bay is great for novice snorkeling/beach activity.  I recommend Moana Surfrider, the oldest hotel on Waikiki, if your looking for a nice place close to everything.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
before I worked there I extended every trip to 2 or 3 weeks

Big Island you need a car, Maui also. Oahu use public trans, Uber etc.

Maui is the best of those 3 but I like the touristy stuff too. Pearl Harbor & Punchbowl, snorkel in Hanauma bay. Stay out of the water on any North shore unless you are an expert swimmer or better, research beaches or stick to tourist areas, Locals don't really like tourists so watch your ass, don't buy weed.

Food, look for smaller joints on outer Islands. Waikiki go to Dukes Canoe Club, I did the stone floor in 91. Paia Fish Market on Maui north shore, I did the floor in the Minit Stop across the corner and we ate at the Fish Market often. Makawao Steak House uphill from there. Cheesburger in Paradise in Lahaina town or Kimos iirc, same owners as Dukes back then
View Quote

Maybe someone else knows or it’s in here somewhere, but when I was on Oahu a few months ago Uber/Lyft and valet service were still not operating.  They might be now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was in Oahu a few years ago and I loved the hiking. Lots of mountains. You can park right at the base so there's no two hour road trip or 30 mile approach. Just drive 20 minutes, park and hike.

+1 on the big waves on the north shore. Pretty neat to look out there and see hundreds of dots. (surfers.)

I tend to stay away from touristy stuff. Don't forget the Arizona is a memorial and not a museum so it's not too exciting. Some folks go in expecting quite a bit.

My favorite part was finding a secluded beach on the eastern part of the island. Had the whole thing to myself.

I think renting a car is a good idea. I drove around the island three times when I was there. Just really neat to get out of Honolulu.

Next time I go I sort of want to go to Molokai sea cliffs. I guess they are the biggest in the world. They also have a leper colony there you can visit.

http://traveltoparadise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Molokai-Seacliffs.jpg

There's the leper colony. Not accessible by car.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/KalaupapaVillageCliffs.jpg/1200px-KalaupapaVillageCliffs.jpg

And they got shooting ranges in Waikiki if you've never shot a real gun before. The ammo shortage really hit Waikiki hard.
https://www.hawaiigunclub.com/userfiles/dentist/images/custompackage.jpg
View Quote

I second the north shore, renting a car and will add if at Waikiki tour the free army museum.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They’ve got the floating air compressor things at Molokini now.  No SCUBA required.  20’ air line though, so not very deep.
View Quote

SNUBA

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Pro Tip:  Check out the local souvenir shops first, but DO NOT buy anything until you check out a local Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart usually has the same stuff at half the price.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for this OP . Was just going to start one of these threads.  Headed to Maui Nov 23rd . So far all we have planned is a UTV tour . And possibly a Submarine trip ( youngest wants to do it ) . I wanted to get a fishing trip in but everything I found was SUPER expensive with no option to ship the fish back home
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pro Tip:  Check out the local souvenir shops first, but DO NOT buy anything until you check out a local Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart usually has the same stuff at half the price.
View Quote

this is also a good tip. Especially the Waikiki Walmart - way cheaper than all the knickknack shops. You can also go there to casually dress like a local. (Hint: look at what the roughest people are wearing, and don't spend more than 10 bucks on any particular piece of clothing )
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:40:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are a lot of good recommendations posted here.  I think it’s been mentioned, but to see both the Arizona and active volcanoes you will need to visit Oahu and the Big Island.

The volcano on the Big Island is active right now.  It wasn’t last year (or the year before, Covid dementia).  So, if that’s a big goal, see it now before it goes dormant again.  My novice trip recommendation would be stay in Kona, drive around the top side (Akaka Falls side) early headed to Hilo.  Schedule a mid day helicopter ride with Paradise Helicopters, no doors style.  See the volcano from above.  Drive around the other side of the island to Volcanoes National Park and look around.  Finish the day driving back to Kona watching the moonrise off the coast.

If you’re on Oahu, Pearl Harbor will take the majority of a day.  Near Waikiki there is plenty to do.  Diamond head is a neat short hike.  Hanauma Bay is great for novice snorkeling/beach activity.  I recommend Moana Surfrider, the oldest hotel on Waikiki, if your looking for a nice place close to everything.
View Quote

Good advice here.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks for this OP . Was just going to start one of these threads.  Headed to Maui Nov 23rd . So far all we have planned is a UTV tour . And possibly a Submarine trip ( youngest wants to do it ) . I wanted to get a fishing trip in but everything I found was SUPER expensive with no option to ship the fish back home
View Quote
You are quite welcome.  And yeah, was thinking of fishing, but... going to be living in hotel rooms w/ no fridge, no cooking; if I caught anything, what would I do with it?  Never been deep sea fishing, but think I'll have enough on my plate with the islands & snorkeling.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
this is also a good tip. Especially the Waikiki Walmart - way cheaper than all the knickknack shops. You can also go there to casually dress like a local. (Hint: look at what the roughest people are wearing, and don't spend more than 10 bucks on any particular piece of clothing )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somehow, I knew there would be a Wally-world there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#38]
And you guys are all awesome with the replies.  Now I'm suffering from TMI, which is a good problem to have.  Knew y'all would come thru with the "off the beaten path" kind of intel.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top