Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2024 3:58:39 PM EDT
Kinda in the market for a new bike, so I stopped by the HD dealership. I was looking at a few different models and the sales guy mentioned the Pan Americas were deeply discounted. And they are.

The online reviews are very positive and it has me interested.

anyone own one?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one, but my good friend does, he loves it. No complaints and he's had it for almost 2 years I think.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
It wasn't on my radar, but it probably does fit what I need.

I went in looking at a Low Rider ST but was disappointed by the tiny "dashboard", cramped seating and lack of passenger pegs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a buddy with one and it's spent more time in the shop than at his house.

He says when it's running it's great bike but there's that little issue with reliability.

Honestly I haven't done much research on them,  he may just have a one off turd.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a buddy with one and it's spent more time in the shop than at his house.

He says when it's running it's great bike but there's that little issue with reliability.

Honestly I haven't done much research on them,  he may just have a one off turd.
View Quote
Good info.

do you know what year?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I own one with the active rear suspension. That inch drop at stops is nice.

Had a right grip module, rear turn signal and key fob replaced under warranty.

Care needs to be taken with the kickstand. Since drop point is in front of the shifter can be easy to kick that when deploying. It also doesn't have a positive lock feel so I deploy and pull bike back before releasing the weight.

For the good parts. Bike is a monster.

Sport mode can scare you if you get on it. Bike has a 3.4 second 0-60 and it shows. Brembo monoblocks on the front bring you down from 80+ mph fast.

Off-road mode is fantastic for gravel/dirt roads, you feel the weight standing on the pegs but very controlled. Off road plus mode is accessed at a full stop holding mode button with it in Off-road mode, turns off helpers do not recommend using this mode unless you have lots of dirt experience.

Starting Bike via code instead of fob requires you to hold turn signal to left when power on. Had to show my dealership how to do this as it's not well known.

Do buy factory service manual as chain adjustment isn't in the owners manual. It will also give torque value needed when you add a radiator guard.

Bike is a monster! Needed to repeat that. Still blows me away that it's a harley. I also liked the overall Bike better than the gs1250 and the African twin both for handling and looks.

Rain mode exists, use it in rain. Life is much more pleasant.

Bought my 2022 in April 2023.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
@cknugget

so I should for it?  
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@cknugget

so I should for it?  
View Quote

Do it!

Still gives me a stupid grin when fire it up. Looks slow and is faster than most production cars.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#8]
How deep is the discount?

I'm not seeing much in discounts in my AO.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

$4400-4700 for MY22&23 at local dealership.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, around 5k for 2023s
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Test rode one for a while, including in traffic.

When I was in traffic, my right leg was getting roasted by the exhaust.  It was terrible.

Attachment Attached File

I hated it because of that.   It also had no quickshifter, which I absolutely love on my Ducati Multistrada 1260S.

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend had one. It spent a year in the shop because of a clutch issue they could never diagnose.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Mixed feedback. Hmmm. I'll test ride it, hopefully this week.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mixed feedback. Hmmm. I'll test ride it, hopefully this week.
View Quote

Seat has 2 factory positions. Usually dealership set it at the lower one. If you have a longer inseam or like a slightly taller seat put it in the upper one.

Adaptive ride height is worth the upgrade.

Press and hold the screen button on left control during test ride.  Turns screen background from black to white. Ask about it when you get back since it's not in the literature anywhere
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Had one.  Sold it.  Was a pain in the ass 2023.  My BMW 1250GSA is hands down a far superior bike.  I would suggest trying both and decide for yourself.  The new ones are 1300GSAs.

Link Posted: 7/16/2024 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one.
The engine is flat out awesome.

Day I brought it home

Day I picked it up after first service

I had one issue with it, when using the Transport Mode it would suck enough juice that the battery wouldn't have enough voltage to start the bike up.
I also had to keep it on a trickle charger since all of the electronics that are still powered (even when it's shut off) would drain the battery down to the point where it would not start within a week.

I have a friend who bought one in 2022 and he's got almost 21K on it with no issues.

In the end the bike was too big and I am too short.
I had the same issue with the BMW S1000XR.

I sold it and bought a KTM 890 Adventure.
Much happier with that bike.

The guy who bought my Pan America is turning it into a "Hooligan Bike".
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#17]
For the money even with a discount you have a lot better options.

A indicator on why you shouldn’t buy one. You can buy a used one for $10k-15k retail all day with less than 5k miles.  

None of the Adventure rider pages consider it as part of the market for On/off road dual purpose ridding.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 3:24:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For the money even with a discount you have a lot better options.

A indicator on why you shouldn’t buy one. You can buy a used one for $10k-15k retail all day with less than 5k miles.  

None of the Adventure rider pages consider it as part of the market for On/off road dual purpose ridding.
View Quote

I've always imagined the people that actually buy them either have fuck around type of money or are just die hard HD fans.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Still waiting for them to make the Bronx.

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Either shitty editing or not enough air in tires.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha, my first thought and could not take my eyes off that.

Guy at work has a PA. Checks a lot of boxes and he is pleased. He has a bunch of other bikes and I see this one the most in the parking lot. No report of problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Some cops are using them.  If that matters

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Still haven't gotten around to a test ride. I'll aim for Sunday.

All the reviews I watch seem to indicate a it's a fun bike. I'm not a serious off-reader so this would be 95% pavement.

Of course with an economy about to crumble, do I need a new bike? (Probably yes )

I did look at the Africa Twin ES as well. I like it, but it doesn't seem as fun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Triple tap
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's sitting in a water pad.  One-two inches of standing water used to make for better photos by having a better reflection in the foreground.

However, you may be right on this one as you can still see the dust on the tires.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top