Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I like how all GD gun threads these days end up about bitching about the colors not matching by the second page.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So much shit-talk. It's OK GD... I know it's kewl to talk smack about HK in public but I also know you are secretly masturbating to the M110a1 behind closed doors.

You also know HK would make bank on 'em if they sold them on the American civilian market.
View Quote

Meh.

H&K has been getting by on the MP5’s reputation and demonic marketing for a couple of decades now.  The USP series is good, but nothing special.  The UMP was/is hot garbage.  MP7 was a clever engineering take on a DOA concept (not really H&K’s fault there, MP7 is their best recent design achievement by a fair margin), Post-USP pistols are a solid “meh”.... just another McPistol.  Their piston AR series of abortions have been snapped Iike hot cakes by various military forces, which more often than not go back to their M4s for actual field use.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So much shit-talk. It's OK GD... I know it's kewl to talk smack about HK in public but I also know you are secretly masturbating to the M110a1 behind closed doors.

You also know HK would make bank on 'em if they sold them on the American civilian market.
View Quote

Lol

HK makes some superb handguns. They’re still trying to figure out long guns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Squad Designated Markman role is retarded. It is even worse when it is a 7.62 gun.
View Quote

@ArmyInfantryVet

Why's that? Seems to me like having an asset capable of more precise shots at longer distances organic to the infantry squad is a good idea.

Normally I'd think it would make logistics and ammo sharing easier to make it in 5.56, since 5.56 rifles can still make precise hits out to impressive distances anyway. But if the squad is also going to have an M240, then making the SDMR in 7.62 doesn't seem that retarded.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
why cant FN or apparently HK figure out how to get a gun in just one shade of dirt...
View Quote
Maybe dirt isn't one shade.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hate that the Army drank the H&K op-rod piston kool-aide just like the Marines did.

But it is cool that they are getting their rifles.  Even if they did choose the wrong one.  
View Quote

Agreed. Pistons are fucking gay.

They should have bought LMTs, tbh.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great looking rifle. But is it not possible to finish it less than eleventeen different colors?
View Quote

50 Shades of FDE
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@ArmyInfantryVet

Why's that? Seems to me like having an asset capable of more precise shots at longer distances organic to the infantry squad is a good idea.

Normally I'd think it would make logistics and ammo sharing easier to make it in 5.56, since 5.56 rifles can still make precise hits out to impressive distances anyway. But if the squad is also going to have an M240, then making the SDMR in 7.62 doesn't seem that retarded.
View Quote

IMHO still pretty retarded.

If you’re just going to use the same M80 as the M240, you will add very little capability over a good 5.56 gun/optic.  And if you carry special .308 ammo for the SDMR, why not make it something better at range like 6.5C?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a few questions, why is the optic so far back? If they wanted to mount that optic then use a base the moves it forward, it's going to be near impossible to get good groups the way they have it. Why is 18 different colors of FDE? Why are they using standard tearing handles with an optic like that where it is, beyond the sighting issues you going to have a heck of time charging the rifle too, and no extend latches.

Quoted:
...Not nose to charging handle? It's your funeral bros...
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Somebody mentioned earlier that the mismatch was intentional.  Help break up the outline...."shrug"...might be true but it could also be a story to cover their butt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great looking rifle. But is it not possible to finish it less than eleventeen different colors?

I'm amazed that people still don't understand how anodizing works.  

ETA:  It would appear this thread is full of them.
Somebody mentioned earlier that the mismatch was intentional.  Help break up the outline...."shrug"...might be true but it could also be a story to cover their butt.

Even Beretta and SIG are doing it.

Also keep in mind some accessories like scopes and suppressors come from different brands and they all seem to have a unique shade of tan/brown.

Quoted:
I think I’d have rathered an MWS or APC, but that still looks to be a very sharp rifle. Also, everyone reflexively dumps on them for the brand, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Tango 6.

I have nothing against LMT as I am sure they are great, but remember the MWS had issues with the British. Likewise, the 5.56 rifles New Zealand got had some issues with firing pins and bolt wear. They fixed them and it seems like as is well. Point being, all brands seem to have some issues and maybe the HK submission samples were just better/cheaper/whatever.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]
LMT or Knights, HK has no business getting this contract for a variety of reasons.  Ridiculous choice

would take both LMT or Knights over the HK everytime it would be offered.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

IMHO still pretty retarded.

If you’re just going to use the same M80 as the M240, you will add very little capability over a good 5.56 gun/optic.  And if you carry special .308 ammo for the SDMR, why not make it something better at range like 6.5C?
View Quote

From all the actual data and studies I've read (which admittedly are not a lot), it does seem like 7.62/.308 offers pretty trivial performance improvements over 5.56. So if 7.62 could be phased out and replaced by 6.5CM in all NATO militaries then that would be a performance improvement.

But if 7.62 is going to be the NATO standard cartridge, then I think it still makes sense to use that IF you aren't going to use 5.56 for your SDMR. Even if you're going to issue specialty ammo to the SDM, he can still make use of ammo pulled from M240 belts. The flight path of the M80 he pulled from the M240 belts won't match the flight path of the specialty .308 ammo he zeroed his optic with, but at least he can shoot at the enemy. A 6.5CM SDM can't use rounds pulled from the M240 in a pinch.

Actually, as I was typing this I looked it up. And the M240 isn't a squad level asset. It rolls with weapons squad, making it a platoon level asset. Making the SDMR the only 7.62 squad level asset. So yeah, a 20" 5.56 seems to make more sense to me as a squad level DMR.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
why?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They could've at least color matched the handguard to the upper receiver Even the SCAR isn't that badly mismatched.

Anyone know if the Sig optic is "Made in America" as per usual USG contract?
View Quote

It'll get rattle canned soon enough
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Every army unit I was in had guys that could train this stuff and would train it.  And this would not be a simple "hey you" weapon for just anybody.

The unit trains its guys.  There doesn't need to be an "official course" for everything.
View Quote

From my time in, I saw half of that. Yes there were guys who could train it. However, it’s pretty hard to train for that particular role when the unit doesn’t prioritize it, and book range time & ammo. Between my 3rd and 4th deployment, our M14s came out of the arms room exactly once. And we didn’t have what we needed to actually do any real training with them. They weren’t even zeroed when we deployed. I spent the whole of the time between those deployments beating my head against the wall, trying to get the CoC to understand what we were in for(I had been to Afghanistan previously, they hadn’t) But, I guess that’s the lot in life for a squad leader sometimes. That example is probably more typical of the reality of the situation.

An official course has some real things going for it, so long as the units actually send their people. Your guy’s training isn’t going to get stepped on to go clean up the motor pool(or to get suicide training for the 10th time this month) if he’s off at an official course-even if it’s just across the street.

What they really should do is bring back the Division level “sniper” courses that existed until the 90’s. Same thing with the Division level Recondo schools(but that’s a whole other thing). No extra cost for the guys to travel. Minimal time away from the unit. They would even be training with the exact weapon they’ll deploy with.

As far as the weapons for DM usage, I never saw what was wrong with the M14s. All the issues I ever saw with them were from a lack of training. I will say that I never cared for he sage stock. It seemed like a needless complication to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The FN SCAR was the original “what color is that!” The Lowers were all tan/fde, the upper ranged from gold, to almost OD, to something that looked like fde.

Quoted:
LMT or Knights, HK has no business getting this contract for a variety of reasons.  Ridiculous choice

would take both LMT or Knights over the HK everytime it would be offered.
View Quote

I like you, you can come over and bang my sister.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:Because anodized aluminum always has variations. Even black will vary, its just not noticeable. When you have a big enough run, like a military run, you will run lots of batches and each one will be different. It will all meet spec it just looks different and it doesnt matter to anyone but those on the internet.
View Quote

You can specify a process and color but different materials and different processing plants are going to end up with different color shades. Since exact color match is not possible, the contract probably specifies a singular process and the color variation is accepted.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From all the actual data and studies I've read (which admittedly are not a lot), it does seem like 7.62/.308 offers pretty trivial performance improvements over 5.56. So if 7.62 could be phased out and replaced by 6.5CM in all NATO militaries then that would be a performance improvement.

But if 7.62 is going to be the NATO standard cartridge, then I think it still makes sense to use that IF you aren't going to use 5.56 for your SDMR. Even if you're going to issue specialty ammo to the SDM, he can still make use of ammo pulled from M240 belts. The flight path of the M80 he pulled from the M240 belts won't match the flight path of the specialty .308 ammo he zeroed his optic with, but at least he can shoot at the enemy. A 6.5CM SDM can't use rounds pulled from the M240 in a pinch.

Actually, as I was typing this I looked it up. And the M240 isn't a squad level asset. It rolls with weapons squad, making it a platoon level asset. Making the SDMR the only 7.62 squad level asset. So yeah, a 20" 5.56 seems to make more sense to me as a squad level DMR.
View Quote

7.62 has weight, even though lower velocity. It tends to punch though cover a bit better. The 6.5 is a nicer round, but you are going to burn out barrels much faster. I like the 6.5, it’s a neat round.

My buddy, who is in SO, sourced a 20” M16 upper when he went to AFG, he used it depending on mission. 20” rifles are still the cats meow, the US just drives around, so the 14.5 seems to be the thing. shrug. If the guys he was attached to were carrying 7.62 rifles, he would take a SCAR-H, which he is issued along with an M4 and MK18 (upper.)
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m so behind.  Thus ISN’T the rifle firing a 6.8 round with 87 megawatts of psi through 18” of armor?
View Quote

Nope. 7.62x51, made just a little heavier by including a gas piston.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
too bad there's no "contract overruns" on this rail.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Im sure it shoots fine but it looks like dog shit dipped in baby puke. I'd get the Aervoe rattle cans out ASAP.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top