Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2024 6:43:51 PM EDT
Does anyone here handle HR 218 qualifications for retirees from their agency?  I’ve been asked to take care of a few retirees, but I’m not sure I have a handle on the paperwork side. I’ve seen some ‘HR 218’ certification cards you can buy on the internet, but I can’t figure out if there is some required paperwork that must be filled out, and what paperwork, if any, has to be retained by by the entity qualifying the retiree.

Anyone here handle this for their agency?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:37:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cb4017] [#1]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
Does anyone here handle HR 218 qualifications for retirees from their agency?  I’ve been asked to take care of a few retirees, but I’m not sure I have a handle on the paperwork side. I’ve seen some ‘HR 218’ certification cards you can buy on the internet, but I can’t figure out if there is some required paperwork that must be filled out, and what paperwork, if any, has to be retained by by the entity qualifying the retiree.

Anyone here handle this for their agency?

Thanks
View Quote

Not quite sure what you're asking.  You shouldn't be issuing any cards.  Requirements and paperwork vary by state.

I'm a retired LEO and Firearms Instructor.  I handle the HR-218 qual for a Sheriff's Office in NV.

Basically, a retiree shows up on qualification day and I run them through a simple qualification course.  Assuming they pass, they fill out a simple one page form and I sign off on it with their qualification score.  The paperwork is dropped off at the SO and they issue the card.

ETA:  In NV the qualification course and required paperwork is defined by the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association.  That is where I download it from.  I would assume your state has a similar organization.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb4017:

Not quite sure what you're asking.  You shouldn't be issuing any cards.  Requirements and paperwork vary by state.

I'm a retired LEO and Firearms Instructor.  I handle the HR-218 qual for a Sheriff's Office in NV.

Basically, a retiree shows up on qualification day and I run them through a simple qualification course.  Assuming they pass, they fill out a simple one page form and I sign off on it with their qualification score.  The paperwork is dropped off at the SO and they issue the card.

ETA:  In NV the qualification course and required paperwork is defined by the Nevada Sheriff's and Chief's Association.  That is where I download it from.  I would assume your state has a similar organization.

View Quote

So I poked around on the state law enforcement page and found this (after a lengthy disclaimer stating that it was not legal advice, of course):  “ demonstrating that an officer has met the agencies firearms qualification can be done by carrying proof of one’s most recent qualification on the range. Some agencies or state authorities issue dated cards, documenting range qualification. If your agency does not give you written proof, you should have an agency point of contact available to confirm this factor if challenged.”

We have a standard state commission firearms qualification form we use for qualifying, so that form, signed by both parties seems like it would more than cover the requirement. I guess having a card just makes it easier to carry in one’s wallet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Curious. What state are you in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Jsut did this yesterday. (we qualify based on retirement month).  It's just a form the range staff drew up. Nothing special.  I take a pic of it and keep in in my phone. I'm sure they just keep it in a file somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#5]
This where I qualify... here are all the forms downloadable, that you seek (at bottom of page):

https://www.rockhr218.com/
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By blueinterceptor:
Curious. What state are you in.
View Quote

Florida
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#7]
every one is different.  
our retired officers have a city id card that says RETIRED.

When they come in to qualify, I have them do our standard course, sign the sheet and that stays with the dept.  I give them a business card where I write their name on it and the date of qualification and it has my state issued requal # and some LEOSA language.

haven't had any issues or complaints.

we haven't opened it up to other officers retired from different places yet.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:43:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#8]

Florida
View Quote

@Razzman1

Contact the Professional Standards Division at FDLE. They will issue you, personally, qualification cards (CJSTC-600) with control numbers. You will be required to maintain a log of those people you certify and issue a card to. When I do them, I have the person sign an extra form that says the only thing I'm certifying as an instructor is you passed the shooting qualification course and the rest of the legal requirements to qualify under HR218 is their responsibility.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

@Razzman1

Contact the Professional Standards Division at FDLE. They will issue you, personally, qualification cards (CJSTC-600) with control numbers. You will be required to maintain a log of those people you certify and issue a card to. When I do them, I have the person sign an extra form that says the only thing I'm certifying as an instructor is you passed the shooting qualification course and the rest of the legal requirements to qualify under HR218 is their responsibility.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

Florida

@Razzman1

Thank you.  I'll get on that today.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m certified to do LEOSA qualifications. Up until a few years ago, you as the instructor had to purchase the qualification cards from an authorized supplier here in PA. The supplier was chosen by PA State Police/MPOETC. The cost of each card was $2.

A few years ago they changed the way it’s done. When you run out of the cards, you now submit money and they send you a file you download onto your computer. You are supposed to create your own number system in order to keep track of the cards you issued. The prior system of purchasing cards already had the numbers printed on them as issued to you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top