Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#1]
If you read the transcript, it’s a pretty weak sauce link via a distributor with zero context.
I’m going to call it a non-story until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I almost read that as Hesse……. I was thinking sending their stuff from a crappy gun maker might be a good thing
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
F1 racing doesn’t pay for itself
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Haha, Haas are about the worst CNC machine you can buy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Self correcting problem, the Haas machines are probably broken down by now anyway
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Self correcting problem, the Haas machines are probably broken down by now anyway
View Quote

Haha First thing I thought when I read the article.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s ok. They will be clapped out by years end anyway.

^ (Okuma Master Race)
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It’s ok. They will be clapped out by years end anyway.

^ (Okuma Master Race)
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
F1 racing doesn’t pay for itself
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
What’s wrong with haas machines?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

What’s wrong with a Russian Lada vs a Toyota Land Cruiser?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What's wrong with a Russian Lada vs a Toyota Land Cruiser?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with haas machines?

Land Cruisers are overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you read the transcript, it's a pretty weak sauce link via a distributor with zero context.
I'm going to call it a non-story until proven otherwise.
View Quote
The Ukrainian trade monitoring group who filed the complaint said the distributor continued sending machines or parts to Russia, which could mean old stock or misdirected stock without Haas' consent, but PBS claims that NewsHour found out that Haas shipped directly to Russia as late as last October.

"Haas no longer supplies machines, replacement parts, or anything else to any companies in Russia. Statements to the contrary are false."

But our investigation puts that account into doubt. Customs records reviewed by "NewsHour" show that shipments continued for months after Russia's invasion began. At least 18 shipments were made to Russia directly from Haas worth $2.8 million from March 4 through October of last year.

$2.8 million certainly doesn't get you a lot of CNC machines or parts though.  It's not like this was a scheme by Haas to get filthy rich from the war, especially since demand for CNC equipment by the wealthy NATO/US MIC must also be through the roof.  Maybe the distributor got into a jam after shipping something to the Russians with critical parts backordered and somebody at the Haas mothership unwisely consented to help the distributor out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#15]
For ol'Gene sake I hope this isn't true. His asshole is probably still sore from his last prison stint.

ITAR is no joke.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For ol'Gene sake I hope this isn't true. His asshole is probably still sore from his last prison stint.

ITAR is no joke.
View Quote
If he shipped it hidden in a pallet of cash, with "From: The Big Guy" stamped on it, he would have been in the clear.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They occupy a (large) market segment. Within that segment they're fine. Expecting the machines to do things they aren't designed to leads to a lot of disappointment, and Haas had a habit of overstating capabilities.

They also fairly well dominate the educational scene, for better or worse (I vote worse).
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Meh, who really gives a shit. He’s running a business and a customer wanted something. Not like he was selling him plans for the f-35 or other classified shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Technically, nothing. There are just plenty of stronger, faster, stiffer, machines out there that require much less maintenance.

I use one regularly. It's fine. Not the best.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Meh, who really gives a shit. He’s running a business and a customer wanted something. Not like he was selling him plans for the f-35 or other classified shit.
View Quote

These sales, if true, probably violate ITAR restrictions among other things. A lot of machining equipment is subject to ITAR because it can be used to make advanced military hardware there's really no other way to make. And the US takes ITAR very seriously.

In fact, right now I have a Citizen lathe that got bumped by a forklift hard enough last night that it's movement alarm was triggered. It's now on a 72 hour countdown before it shuts it's self off, because it thinks it may have gotten resold to someone not authorized to have it. Im waiting on Citizen to send me a code specific to that machines serial number and today's date to reset it. This is all due to ITAR requirements.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Haha, Haas are about the worst CNC machine you can buy.
View Quote

This. Should've bought Mazzak
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

These sales, if true, probably violate ITAR restrictions among other things. A lot of machining equipment is subject to ITAR because it can be used to make advanced military hardware there's really no other way to make. And the US takes ITAR very seriously.

In fact, right now I have a Citizen lathe that got bumped by a forklift hard enough last night that it's movement alarm was triggered. It's now on a 72 hour countdown before it shuts it's self off, because it thinks it may have gotten resold to someone not authorized to have it. Im waiting on Citizen to send me a code specific to that machines serial number and today's date to reset it. This is all due to ITAR requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a couple of machines similarly equipped with GPS to alert the manufacturer that the machine has been moved. It bricks the control until a company technician logs the location and resets it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Don’t give a shit. Still going to happily hit run/start at the beginning on the day.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
F1 racing doesn't pay for itself
View Quote
This, didn't gene have a Russian sugar daddy before the war?

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you read the transcript, it’s a pretty weak sauce link via a distributor with zero context.
I’m going to call it a non-story until proven otherwise.
View Quote

My dad owns a manufacturing company that makes equipment for the aerospace industry. Some of his equipment ended up in Iran.

I was about 15 years old the first time the FBI and CIA visited my house.

Equipment was sold to a Canadian equipment distributor who sold it to the Iranian Government.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
F1 racing doesn't pay for itself

Yep.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39265950/haas-f1-drops-nikita-mazepin-uralkali-sponsorship/
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/33459963/mazepins-demand-uralkali-money-back-haas
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

And waiting for months for some third party repairman with his bag of Harbor Freight tools to show up to stare at the fucking thing for a week before declaring it unfixable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My dad owns a manufacturing company that makes equipment for the aerospace industry. Some of his equipment ended up in Iran.

Equipment was sold to a Canadian equipment distributor who sold it to the Iranian Government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you read the transcript, it's a pretty weak sauce link via a distributor with zero context.

That sucks. I've done FMS and DCS to multiple countries and yeah they always make damn sure the buyer country is the end user country even on non-restricted or dual use technologies.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Fuck haas.
Gene is a dick.
His machines are shit.

I wonder if Haas will get the Strelok treatment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That sucks. I've done FMS and DCS to multiple countries and yeah they always make damn sure the buyer country is the end user country even on non-restricted or dual use technologies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was the mid 90's. If I remember correctly, several crate of spare parts were sent, and I am sure they were embedded with tracking devices. These machines are not used for much, but mostly used for jet and rocket engines, etc... So.... My dad's client list is a who's who of DoD contractors.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Watch this.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And waiting for months for some third party repairman with his bag of Harbor Freight tools to show up to stare at the fucking thing for a week before declaring it unfixable.
View Quote

At my work we had a haas dealer send some guys out to set up a vf4 and a st30. Supposed to be a 1 day job. Took them 3 days. I was not impressed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've gone through the same thing a few times. Moving a Citizen machine around the shop...have to sign a form with the date, model, serial number and PLC counter value.

Last time the spring contacts in the battery box for the transfer detector corroded and it lost power.

Quoted:

That's why we don't let Haas techs touch the machines. They wanted to do a $2300 core exchange for the IO board on a lathe when it only took $5 in parts.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Is the outrage that some Slavs had to pay for the own shit?

Or did the US finance this too?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Technically, nothing. There are just plenty of stronger, faster, stiffer, machines out there that require much less maintenance.

View Quote

My boss was considering one. I dont know anything about CNC machines
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

For a lot of shops a Haas makes perfect sense, just like a lot of shops would do perfectly fine with a Tormach, or even a prototrak.

But the internet is full of people running the latest and greatest $800k machine and will assure you that anything less is useless.

It's a lot like gun culture, actually.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#38]
How is it our or Ukraine's business who Haas sells michines to?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I was hand coding my UMC 1000, what did I miss?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The kinds of machines Haas makes are export controlled items because they have military uses. You can't sell Russia a VMC for the same reason you can't sell North Korea an unrestricted IMU; they're a pile of filthy cunts that'd use that shit to wage war on their neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#41]
There's A LOT of ways around the ITAR requirements. Was working in an aerospace shop in 2003 that was opening up a production shop in China, could only ship our old 3 axis machines there since Gov't said nothing multi-axis could go to the CCP. Fast forward to 2008 and I get hired at Boeing as they're selling an old Cincinnati 5 axis mill. Where was it going? CCP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

since we are here @Jayne_Cobb, what flavor of small machine is your favorite?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

remember when Toshiba sold CNC mills to the russians who used them to produce the prop blades for their boomers?Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Half-Assed American Shit
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

It isn't. Let the free market work, the MIC needs more money anyway.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For a lot of shops a Haas makes perfect sense, just like a lot of shops would do perfectly fine with a Tormach, or even a prototrak.

But the internet is full of people running the latest and greatest $800k machine and will assure you that anything less is useless.

It's a lot like gun culture, actually.
View Quote

There’s a well known (and much hated) manufacturer that is the subject of the occasional thread here. They make what are, in my experience, quite accurate guns.  Based on what I see on their IG, they use quite a few HAAS machines.

I know nothing of machining so take the above for what it’s worth.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own 7 of them. I bought all of them new except 1. Have him look at doosan. Haas has really cheapend them up the last couple years.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Haas makes mediocre machines.
Nothing impressive. Dont give a fuck if theyre made in USA. There are better machines
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top