Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BT1989:

Drive around the West side for some real post apocalypse vibes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BT1989:
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:
Rode the Harley over to Dayton today. Good night the roads are truly Mad Max level. 35 may as well have been gravel.

I can't imagine how much worse Michigan roads would be with more ice and salt in the winters.

Drive around the West side for some real post apocalypse vibes
Stay off of Wayne between Wilmington and Keowee then. It's amazing how much the roads improve once you leave the Dayton city limits.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Salt and ice are hard on roads.  Democrat policies are hard on road repair budgets.

I am glad I live in FL.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:58:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#3]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
do civilian fuckos in michigan not slow/stop and move to the right for po-po?
View Quote
I'm guessing that would depend on the area. If it's an area where the locals keep the cops busy, probably not.
There's a guy on YouTube, does video tours of fucked up towns and cities. Some of the roads out there are comically bad.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:
Used to run ems in some rural poor towns that were more pot hole than road.
View Quote

There are a lot like that. No original road surface left. Just all pothole filler making up the entire surface now in large areas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
They don’t even have money for clean water…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lumpy223:
You think our roads are bad in Flint?

PFFTTT.......you should see how bad these assholes drive.

Flint sucks.
View Quote
He should try the water
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks about right for side streets
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Our roads are worse.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Roads in the U.S. are similar to the healthcare system .......... just as healthy people are not profitable, neither are good roads for the auto industry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By harrymank:
Good luck getting over 40mph on the dirt roads out here right now. A little bit of slow rain has them so deep in mud. We aren’t used to rain.
View Quote

40mph on a dirt/gravel rd is why they're screwed up.  Live on a gravel rd, my dad is also the rd commissioner in this rd district(24miles of gravel rd).  The biggest influence in rural rd quality is the people driving on them.  Cutting donuts, spinning out in gravel, driving in the exact same path when it's wet(makes potholes form quicker and deeper).  I really think some people aren't smart enough to dodge potholes or stay out of them.  There is one stretch that when it's really wet will show potholes in the same spot in a long row, but I've saw idiots drive right through them and hit 10 in a row.  Drive 10" to the left or right and it's fine, this is on a gravel rd with no lane markings, but people are fucking idiots or they think they're really testing their off road suspension mods.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:48:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#11]
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
She just meant the roads around her house.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
Whitmer ran on "Fix the damn roads".
She just meant the roads around her house.

I worked for PennDOT one summer when I was in college.  The crew/garage I worked with was the drainage/culvert crew.
Almost all the roads we worked on were where some local politicians lived, or the penndot district manager,
Also for about a 3-4 weeks, three of us college kids and one full time guy had to cut the weeds on the bank along the highway where the road garage was.  We got old dull double bar weed cutters.  But the best part was the full time penndot worker was using a weedeater - with no string.
The foreman /supervisor for that gagrage was an old alcoholic guy who shook so bad every monring and was barely functional.  

One day i was sent to work with the guide rail crew at another nearby gararge, maybe they were to fix potholes that day.   Ordinarily  the guide rail work was not bad,   Like setting up a big erector set for thise of you old enough to remember those toys,   They maybe did one or two potholes, and of course they found some sort of out of site pull off to sleep for a couple hours before going back to the garage,
No urgency or forward thinking.   Bad intersection thats over grown - meh.   Lets wait for a very bad accident with fatalities before we go trim the brush back so drivers could see down the road when pulling out.

I had a sleazy feeling after working for them that summer.   I had zero desire to go back the next summer.
Everything that people joked about that agency was completely true.  They even joked about sleeping on snow plow OT instead of plowing.
It should be abolished and contracted out every 3-5 years, with ability to terminate for poor performance
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
all good - ukraine should have nice roads in the future
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
They don’t even have money for clean water…
View Quote

Oh they had the money.  Once upon a time when the auto industry was booming in MI, they got it from tax revenue
Then when auto manufacturers moved out or shut down, they got it in federal grants and handouts.
Its just that the local politicians and utility directors embezzled that money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Sound starts at :40+

Just watching a police video and the streets are so unbelievably bad.

At :54 the cop almost loses it because of the road conditions.

I've been in some rough areas of the world and it wasn't as bad as this.

What's wild is that around the 1:57 mark, the streets become remarkably better.

But the moment they turn onto a side street, it's back to post-apocalyptic movie set time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVo-E_rWwZw

Feel like you would lose every dental filling after a few police pursuits. at 4:00+ it's ridiculous!

View Quote

Lol, come to New Orleans some time.

Heck, this afternoon I'm going to ride my bike to our neighborhood bar......and I'm going to have to dismount and walk the last block due to the road conditions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:06:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 20229mm] [#15]
He damn near PITed him into the houses.

MI is so damn depressing.  
I visited my great grandma once (back in the early 2000s) she was outside smoking a cigarette in negative 20 degree weather with a good wind.

She came back inside and joked that it was so cold and so depressing that she thought about just staying outside and dying out there.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SPECTRE:
Tucson says hold my beer………
View Quote

Yeah those Democrat freeze / thaw cycles of budgetary incompetence are killer on the roads. Plus the road department stealing time & material for side jobs & personal profit that barely got prosecuted.

Vote Feelz in your Suspension (TM)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
The best thing about being from Michigan is that it makes damn near anywhere you go for vacation seem great.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Klee:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Klee:
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Our roads are worse.

Same here.

Born and raised in Louisiana, moved to Michigan in 2015 when the oilfield tanked.  I can say that is a toss up between the two for how bad the roads are.  Whitmer campaigned on "fixing the damned roads"  She hasn't done anything but fuck it up more by trying to fix the roads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#19]
When your taxes have to pay for baby momma's illegal alien services and free pot needles, they're isn't much money left over for road maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Never been to Pennsylvania, OP?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#21]
That was a righteous PIT.  It demonstrated how a properly done PIT maneuver does not rely on ramming the vehicle.  Gentle contact at the rear quarter, then turn into the vehicle while accelerating hard.  This breaks the rear traction and forward momentum carries the rear of the car around.  Even a police sedan can pit a larger, heavier vehicle as seen here.  That officer knew what he was doing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Plus steel hauler trucks carrying 100,000 lbs, maybe much more than that.  
Most states limit trucks to 50,000 lbs or so, with out a special permit.
Double or even triple trailers loaded with massive steel coils of 80K or more seem to be the rule in MI
View Quote

How often do they run them through residential neighborhoods where the roads seem to be the worst?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
do civilian fuckos in michigan not slow/stop and move to the right for po-po?

goddamn.
View Quote

Hahahaha! Dude it’s faster and safer to just weave between cars. The second you turn your lights on what little brains people have melts and slides right out of their ears. It’s like they see blue lights and immediately try to make the absolute worst possible driving decision. Should I just stop in the middle of the road way? The cops right behind me I better not move the fuck out of the way. I’ll just blow this red light real fast!

It’s amazing. People already suck at driving and asking them to do something as simple as slow down and pull right makes their heads explode. If I ever get a grant for research that’s going to be my topic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I traveled around working for many years and 2 places immediately come to mind when it comes to poor roads...

Elria, OH is 1st runner up and Warren, MI takes the cake.

After some -20 ambient temps through the Winter, when it warms up again the roads just come apart.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:56:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#25]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
MI is so damn depressing.  
I visited my great grandma once (back in the early 2000s) she was outside smoking a cigarette in negative 20 degree weather with a good wind.

She came back inside and joked that it was so cold and so depressing that she thought about just staying outside and dying out there.

View Quote

It's true. I once heard a comic from the Midwest say that it gets 'God-doesn't-love-you-anymore cold.'  I understand that now - too well. Add the rust, high taxes, mediocre food, and lower pay and it's just a recipe for a shithole.

I came here because I thought it would make my wife happy, but the misery of living here just isn't worth it, and I regret doing it a LOT. She doesn't want to leave her family and neither do I, so I'm stuck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Try a few miles of Dort Highway south off I-69. Of course Flint is a democrap hellhole.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top