Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 107
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FL_Roscoe:
I bought one last week and have it running right now next to the house. You can hear it running with the windows open but it's not obscene like my bigger generator. With the windows closed you wouldn't notice it. We're going on day 3 without power after Irma and it's been great. I have it plugged into a UPS with a TV/Fan/Fridge on the battery/surge outlets and a 12,000 BTU AC unit on a surge only outlet and the UPS only kicks in when the AC compressor starts up.

There's a coupon that brings the price down to $399.

Coupon
View Quote
thanks coupon worked like a charm
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By blwngazkit:
That coupon works for me as of 5 minutes ago using FireFox...
View Quote
Yep firefox works
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to link the code in the OP for anyone who wants to get one
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andersw] [#4]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:
You do know there's a difference between a regular generator and an inverter generator right.........
View Quote
I don't know the difference. Can you fill me in?

ETA: saw someone else didn't know too and you answered. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
So, would the 2000 watt be enought to run a fridge, and maybe a couple of lamps?  and maybe a fan too?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
So, would the 2000 watt be enought to run a fridge, and maybe a couple of lamps?  and maybe a fan too?
View Quote
Yes easy for that. Buy some LED bulbs and have 10X more lights.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By zoe17:

Yes easy for that. Buy some LED bulbs and have 10X more lights.
View Quote
All my lamps already have LED!!  Thats the only way to go!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
i'm pretty sure your average fridge is around say 700-1,000 watts. Lamps especially if your using LED bulbs take almost nothing. a box style fan? probably 100 watts. I think you would be just fine and have some power left over.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FL_Roscoe:
I bought one last week and have it running right now next to the house. You can hear it running with the windows open but it's not obscene like my bigger generator. With the windows closed you wouldn't notice it. We're going on day 3 without power after Irma and it's been great. I have it plugged into a UPS with a TV/Fan/Fridge on the battery/surge outlets and a 12,000 BTU AC unit on a surge only outlet and the UPS only kicks in when the AC compressor starts up.

There's a coupon that brings the price down to $399.

Coupon
View Quote
How much fuel is it using?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]

i'm pretty sure your average fridge is around say 700-1,000 watts. Lamps especially if your using LED bulbs take almost nothing. a box style fan? probably 100 watts. I think you would be just fine and have some power left over.
View Quote
I am more concerned about the startup wattage for the fridge, than the running wattage
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]

I am more concerned about the startup wattage for the fridge, than the running wattage
View Quote
i think surge wattage is probably right around 2k on a fridge.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you run a standard sized (non super high end samsung with a TV) refrigerator  on one of these?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:33:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ford302] [#15]
Originally Posted By Evile:
Can you run a standard sized (non super high end samsung with a TV) refrigerator  on one of these?
View Quote
I can run my fridge, 60 inch samsung, smoke detectors, Laptop and monitors and furnace and a ton of lights -LED off my Eu2000i.
I have the parallel kit and another generator and never really have even had to use it.

I have even had the fridge compressor and furnace fan basically go at the same time and it had no issue.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Found this on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Gen-8750-Natural-Propane-Conversion/dp/B00NUCEL14
View Quote
I like the kit that comes with hose clamps to use on pressurized propane. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ford302:

I can run my fridge, 60 inch samsung, smoke detectors, Laptop and monitors and furnace and a ton of lights -LED off my Eu2000i.
I have the parallel kit and another generator and never really have even had to use it.
View Quote
Damn that's pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Damn that's pretty good.
View Quote
I recommend getting the 5 gallon extended run tank setup.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Snip: A conventional generator is nothing more than an engine connected to an alternator and run at a speed that produces the desired AC frequency, regardless of the load on it (as the load increases the engine throttles up to keep the engine speed the same). The output of the alternator is connected directly to the load, without any processing.

With an inverter generator, the engine is connected to an efficient alternator, which produces AC electricity, just like a conventional generator. But then a rectifier is used to convert the AC power to DC and capacitors are used to smooth it out to a certain degree. The DC power is then “inverted” back into clean AC power of the desired frequency and voltage (e.g., 110-120VAC @ 60Hz). Regulation is very good and this system produces consistent power characteristics independent of the engine speed. The result is much “cleaner” power (“pure sine waves”) than is possible with a conventional generator, essentially the same quality of electricity that you typically get from your electric company.

Link
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

What is the difference?  I hear they're quieter and more efficient, but I don't know what's different about them.  Are they a new thing?  I've only heard of them recently.  Of course, I've never shopped for a generator before.
Snip: A conventional generator is nothing more than an engine connected to an alternator and run at a speed that produces the desired AC frequency, regardless of the load on it (as the load increases the engine throttles up to keep the engine speed the same). The output of the alternator is connected directly to the load, without any processing.

With an inverter generator, the engine is connected to an efficient alternator, which produces AC electricity, just like a conventional generator. But then a rectifier is used to convert the AC power to DC and capacitors are used to smooth it out to a certain degree. The DC power is then “inverted” back into clean AC power of the desired frequency and voltage (e.g., 110-120VAC @ 60Hz). Regulation is very good and this system produces consistent power characteristics independent of the engine speed. The result is much “cleaner” power (“pure sine waves”) than is possible with a conventional generator, essentially the same quality of electricity that you typically get from your electric company.

Link
I haven't looked into it, but I assumed the generator produced 12VDC and fed the inverter off of that.  Going from AC to DC first would seem inefficient, but I guess they make it work.

OH, they use 3 phase power.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't have any evidence but I think the surge capacity on the Honda's is underrated.
Either that or my Fridge has a much lower startup draw than I anticipated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the 3500 watt version and used it 24/7 for the past three days as we were without power from hurricane Irma. So quiet and worked awesome.

Ran a full sized fridge with freezer, 2 box fans, lamp, 60in plasma, surround sound, PS3, and two strings of led rope lights as well as charging a bunch of electronic devices without a glitch.

Was super quiet, could hear all the neighbors generators but ours was barely audible. The only downside is the oil change interval. Seriously, 8 hours? Can anyone else confirm this? Is it a typo. No other generator I've used or seen has such a short oil change interval recommended in the owners manual.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SKWEE-G:
Got the 3500 watt version and used it 24/7 for the past three days as we were without power from hurricane Irma. So quiet and worked awesome.

Ran a full sized fridge with freezer, 2 box fans, lamp, 60in plasma, surround sound, PS3, and two strings of led rope lights as well as charging a bunch of electronic devices without a glitch.

Was super quiet, could hear all the neighbors generators but ours was barely audible. The only downside is the oil change interval. Seriously, 8 hours? Can anyone else confirm this? Is it a typo. No other generator I've used or seen has such a short oil change interval recommended in the owners manual.
View Quote
How much fuel did you go through?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I might invest in one for the next storm. I was extremely lucky and never lost power.. This time
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Any suggestions for a good watt meter? Something that works with reactive loads?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SKWEE-G] [#25]
In three days we used 6 gallons of fuel. We have 15 gal on hand and would have been good for a while. Ended up running out of sta-bil which is a requirement per the warranty info in the manual
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RichJ] [#26]

You do know there's a difference between a regular generator and an inverter generator right.........
View Quote
ETA:  Answered.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:13:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#27]
Can you safely run electronics off of those?  Routers, computers etc?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Im actually interested in this one more power more outlets less money link  I understand its a standard generator and not an inverter type
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Can you safely run electronics off of those?  Rounters, computers etc?
View Quote
These inverter types are best for such things.

The UPS to the computer setup gets fussy (in addition to blackouts it intervenes for electronic noise) when it is running off my caveman genny and especially fussy when I flip on the breaker for the water heater lol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#30]
@AKCory762

I was looking at those in the latest catalog I got in the mail. We camp with the RV a bit and that would be nice and quiet compared to the open air generators - especially the 8700W HF one I have in the garage!

@AKCory762 - can you run it parallel with another one? I think I remember seeing that in the ad. They have a kit. I think they also have a larger one like 3000W

PSA: I have found the Predator engines to be fairly reliable, the above 8700W genny starts on the first pull all the time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Will:
Bought two Hondas years ago. Paid less than the Harbor Freight model here.....Think I'll keep them.
View Quote
Where did you find that?? Those are normally like $1k ea!! 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Would it be safe to run one on a condo balcony?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll be picking up a HF 3500 inverter tomorrow. Does anyone have a coupon code that might work for it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:33:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#34]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

What is the difference?  I hear they're quieter and more efficient, but I don't know what's different about them.  Are they a new thing?  I've only heard of them recently.  Of course, I've never shopped for a generator before.
View Quote
They generate DC and use an internal inverter to make AC.  The best ones have a true sinewave inverter.
A standard genset is a constant RPM motor, because the generator head has to turn at 3600 RPM to get 60Hz power out of it.
So the motor is running faster and louder.

The inverter type has an eco mode that throttles the engine up and down to adjust to the load.  

So they're quieter, more fuel efficient and produce better quality power.

ETA:
Man I'm slow...
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't see a way to purchase online and pickup in store. Anyone know if this is possible?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to know more about the oil change interval.  If true that would be a deal-breaker for me.  Achilles heel of China-made stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#37]
The generators are one thing that Harbor Freight sells that are actually good.  And not only are they "good', they are EXTREMELY good.  The Inverter gens and the predator gens are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#38]
So, would the 2000 watt be enough to run a fridge, and maybe a couple of lamps?  and maybe a fan too?
View Quote
As long as you don't get crazy.  The compressor start surge on a modern refrigerator is about 1200Watts, one running it's around 100-200Watts.
LED lights are nothing.  100W of LED can light a house.
Fans are nothing, very small loads.

A Honda eu2000 is rated at 1600W continuous, 2000W peak for (some number of seconds).

Don't add big loads, a microwave oven is in the 1000-1200Watt range, so you need to load shed when running.

Look at the placards or owner's manuals of your equipment, the load ratings will be there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
6 gallon boat tank is your friend. I made my own setup.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Definitely.

I have a 3 gallon and 6 gallon boat tank and twin fuel lines so I can run the two generators together (from either tanks) or run each separately (such as taking one to a family members house).
That setup keeps the internal tanks on the gennys filled, so if you need to refill the main tank you can stay running and disconnect and safely refill the main tank.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Easily neck beard  down here for a $1000.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:47:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kinglou0] [#42]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
I'd like to know more about the oil change interval.  If true that would be a deal-breaker for me.  Achilles heel of China-made stuff.
View Quote
On page 16 of the 3500w manual, it does have a tick mark indicating that an 8hr interval on engine oil. That's concerning. Can anybody provide some insight on this?

Manual
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Didn't see a way to purchase online and pickup in store. Anyone know if this is possible?
View Quote
Shipping was $6.99, so I didn't even bother trying. Closest store is ~80 miles. They probably stock them at most stores anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dr-G:
@AKCory762

I was looking at those in the latest catalog I got in the mail. We camp with the RV a bit and that would be nice and quiet compared to the open air generators - especially the 8700W HF one I have in the garage!

@AKCory762 - can you run it parallel with another one? I think I remember seeing that in the ad. They have a kit. I think they also have a larger one like 3000W

PSA: I have found the Predator engines to be fairly reliable, the above 8700W genny starts on the first pull all the time.
View Quote
@Dr-G yep you can link 2 of them together. There's also the 3500 watt one that you can also run parrell with another
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks OP.  I needed one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Looking at the parts diagram in the manual, it shows a bridge rectifier in addition to the inverter. That would imply that the actual generator produces AC. Looks like a regular 4 pin bridge rectifier, so the generator is probably single phase. I think  a 3ph rectifier has 5 pins.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#47]
Originally Posted By kinglou0:
On page 16 of the 3500w manual, it does have a tick mark indicating that an 8hr interval on engine oil. That's concerning. Can anybody provide some insight on this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kinglou0:
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
That chart doesn't make any sense

Oil changes:

Monthly or every 8 hours of use
AND
Every 6 months or 100 Hours of use
AND
Yearly or 300 hours of use
BUT NOT
Every 3 months or 50 Hours of use

The way it reads, you would never get to the higher/longer intervals because the minimum is monthly or every 8 hours.
And why is the 3 month interval not checked if you're doing changes monthly anyway?

The Honda manual reads:
First month or 20 hours
THEN
Every 6 months or 100 hours.

Honda EU2000i

Also the break in period specified in the HF manual is 25 hours, after which it directs changing the oil.
It's not mentioned in the maintenance section, but that's more in line with the Honda manual.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

Oil changes:

AND
AND
BUT NOT

The way it reads, you would never get to the higher/longer intervals because the minimum is monthly or every 8 hours.
And why is the 3 month interval not checked if you're doing changes monthly anyway?

The Honda manual reads:
First month or 20 hours
THEN

Also the break in period specified in the HF manual is 25 hours, after which it directs changing the oil.
It's not mentioned in the maintenance section, but that's more in line with the Honda manual.
View Quote
It's an engine. I would prolly change it every 25 hours or so. I mean didn't one member just say his has been running for 3 days? I wouldn't worry so much about it. Perform your regular maintenance as everything else.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Oil changes:
AND
AND
BUT NOT

The Honda manual reads:
First month or 20 hours
THEN

Honda EU2000i

View Quote
Probably some Engrish going on there.  I'd guess they meant to say to do a break-in change at 8 hours, then every 6 months or 100 hours after that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Oil changes:

AND
AND
BUT NOT

View Quote
Completely agree. That's why I'm hoping we have some members here who can talk about their experiences. It'd be nice to stop borrowing my buddy's Honda whenever I need a generator. These are priced just right.
Page / 107
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top