BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

there's a coupon for 2 year free. I got it on the one i got. The lady scanned it out of the little catalog?
View Quote
Where is that?  I didn't see that
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:28:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krauss] [#2]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:

Where is that?  I didn't see that
View Quote
i don't see it either..... what if the lady scanned the $399 the ad then sold me the $100 plan which she said was free.............
Did i get taken lol

ETA: how much exactly is the warranty plan??
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

i don't see it either..... what if the lady scanned the $399 the ad then sold me the $100 plan which she said was free.............
Did i get taken lol

ETA: how much exactly is the warranty plan??
View Quote
The extended plan was $99.  I am also curious if it is worth getting it at all.  I mean I normally don't get extended warranties, but being that this is HF, I wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#4]

The extended plan was $99.  I am also curious if it is worth getting it at all.  I mean I normally don't get extended warranties, but being that this is HF, I wasn't sure.
View Quote
Son of A...... i bet that's what she did. Off to find my receipt. I feel like i've been taken advantage of....not in a good way
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The extended warranty on the HF Generators is worth it. I have one of the 4KW ones that I use up at the hunt club, the ones that are like $289 on sale. The thing runs great, powers my camper and we run it pretty much 24/7 in the spring/summer/fall, but if it ever fails the only thing you have to do is drain all the oil and gas and take it back, no questions asked.....POOF new genny. Buy another warranty and you're good for another year or two. The one thing that I don't like about the thing is it has GFI outlets for the 120V. It runs everything in my camper fine, but if I plug my CPAP in it's lights out and I have to reset the GFI. It's a pain in the ass when it's raining, but oh well, I can deal with it.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:52:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#6]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

Thanks. You could actually plug the genny into the panel directly, like with a fat cord? Any links? I know you can do anything with the right cash. This sounds like a great business oportunity to me after what has happened.. For "X" dollars you are never SOL. Plug this extension cord onto that, flip that switch, pull this cord, go inside and grab a beer. 

Thanks, great thread considering. 
View Quote
You've really never heard of a transfer switch before? Figured everyone on arfcom had one.

Parts and install will run around $1k. But if you have electrician friends...maybe only parts will cost ya.

Here is mine.

Not sure you can make a business out of selling or installing them...every electrician and hardware store offers the service.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ford302:

See the RV sized plug on the generator on the right.
View Quote

But isn't the RV outlet on the generator a 3 prong and the box you show on the wall is a 4 prong. Are the adaptors commercially available or is there a special cord you made?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By scdigger:
I was wondering how  you guys were setting up...just an octopus of cords running around the house?
View Quote
In my crappy old rental home, yes.  I have a 30 amp cord with a splitter, as well as a 50 amp power spider (distribution box) that has 8 20amp outlets.  I ran lots of thick extensions to various points in the house, so they are ready if needed.

I have an old fuse box, not a breaker box, so there is no real way to backfeed with interlocks, etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:

You've really never heard of a transfer switch before? Figured everyone on arfcom had one.

Parts and install will run around $1k. But if you have electrician friends...maybe only parts will cost ya.
View Quote
A backfeed interlock kit is a lot cheaper.
Just need an inlet, circuit breaker, interlock and wiring.  Maybe $200 in parts.  Maybe an hour or two in labor if you can't DIY.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Strikeforces:

Hold my beer, and watch my reply.

He idled the truck motor.
View Quote
At idle, he's probably doing good if he gets 50 amps out of his truck's alternator - which means that what he really has is a 600 watt generator...and a fuel-guzzler, at that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:20:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#11]
Originally Posted By X33Bowtie:
But isn't the RV outlet on the generator a 3 prong and the box you show on the wall is a 4 prong. Are the adaptors commercially available or is there a special cord you made?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By X33Bowtie:
Originally Posted By Ford302:

See the RV sized plug on the generator on the right.
Making an adapter is easy.
Commercial available adapters linked in this post in the recent thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/SAFELY-power-both-legs-with-a-120V-generator-/17-690289/&page=2&anc=bottom#i11812935

That thread is a good read, it discusses hooking up 120VAC to both legs of a home circuit breaker panel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there an external inverter available for old school generators?  I have a HF 4000 watt peak unit I got as a refurb for $125.  Runs great but I'd like to get cleaner power for electronics and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#13]
Originally Posted By Bones45:
Is there an external inverter available for old school generators?  I have a HF 4000 watt peak unit I got as a refurb for $125.  Runs great but I'd like to get cleaner power for electronics and stuff.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bones45:
It would be cheaper to get a HF inverter generator.

A pure sinewave intverter is going to be several hundred, and you have to feed it DC, so you'd need some way to rectify the AC coming off the generator.
By the time you built some Rube Goldberg contraption, you'd be better off buying the second genny.

ETA

I found this thread discussing this topic.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/84659/How-to-Build-an-Inverter-Unit-for-a-Gasoline-Generator

Key quote here:
As you've discovered the inverter is a black box that accepts a variable frequency, variable voltage AC input that varies with engine speed, reverse engineering that will make the AVR project look simple. A major problem is the fact that PMG's are load regulated, not field regulated like your other experiment. That means no AVR is possible, and the generator puts out a variable frequency voltage that varies with speed and the load. To overcome this you need to convert that to DC, then feed it into an inverter that will accept the noisy swinging DC voltage and provide a well regulated AC output.
Now that is from an inverter generator, the AC from a standard generator should be more stable.

Here's a handy schematic for reference

ETA 2
Maybe a Power Conditioner or "Online Datacenter UPS?
Still pretty spendy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SKWEE-G:
Got the 3500 watt version and used it 24/7 for the past three days as we were without power from hurricane Irma. So quiet and worked awesome.

Ran a full sized fridge with freezer, 2 box fans, lamp, 60in plasma, surround sound, PS3, and two strings of led rope lights as well as charging a bunch of electronic devices without a glitch.

Was super quiet, could hear all the neighbors generators but ours was barely audible. The only downside is the oil change interval. Seriously, 8 hours? Can anyone else confirm this? Is it a typo. No other generator I've used or seen has such a short oil change interval recommended in the owners manual.
View Quote
That's only the first oil change. After that, it's 100 hrs and after that it's 300 hrs. If I had one, I'd run it for a coup,e hours, drain the Dino oil out and put in Mobil 1 and forget about it except to check the level.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
How large of a window unit or portable AC will the 2000 reliably run?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By captainpooby:

That's only the first oil change. After that, it's 100 hrs and after that it's 300 hrs. If I had one, I'd run it for a coup,e hours, drain the Dino oil out and put in Mobil 1 and forget about it except to check the level.
View Quote
Bad Idea! Small engines need a lot of zinc addative (ZDDP), something that has been removed from typical car engine oils. You can use the mobile 1 but you need to mix in the additive first. STP has it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By superdoc:
View Quote
12,000 BTU. Running watts are about 1200. You need the room to cover the starting surge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tojan19:
12,000 BTU. Running watts are about 1200. You need the room to cover the starting surge.
View All Quotes
I see a 14K BTU portable on Amazon rated at 1250W / 10.8A.
The EU2000 puts out 13A continuous and 16.7A surge.

You've still got a little overhead.
I wouldn't go larger than 15K BTU, but you have to look at the specs of the particular model.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Bad Idea! Small engines need a lot of zinc addative (ZDDP), something that has been removed from typical car engine oils. You can use the mobile 1 but you need to mix in the additive first. STP has it.
View Quote
Why not just use motorcycle synthetic oil?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered one and the coupon worked, then my business partner tried and the coupon didn't work.  
  • The usage limit has been reached for this coupon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Andielouroo:
I ordered one and the coupon worked, then my business partner tried and the coupon didn't work.  
View Quote
Yikes. Glad I bit the bullet last night and ordered.  Has anyone received a ship notification for orders placed since the thread started?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Found another working coupon:

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Andielouroo:
View Quote
Mine just worked...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
 My champion 2k will run my 9500 btu in my camper with no problem and will even run it in eco mode at seal level
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
I only use Mobil 1 in my small engines and never used an additive. So far no problems but I guess I will look into it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By savage1971:

My champion 2k will run my 9500 btu in my camper with no problem and will even run it in eco mode at seal level
View Quote
Do you really run it level with seals?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By captainpooby:

View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I just called Harbor freight and this generator is back ordered with no known instock date...maybe need to check local stores?  Does anyone know if the $100 coupon works at local stores?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#29]
If I didn't already have a Generac 2000i, I'd get that. I use it for just running my freezers overnight. Saves from having to use my louder bigger one, when needed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#30]
This looks pretty nice. $849, dual fuel capable, parallel capable, 3100 peak, 2800 running watts, 58db, 8 hours on 1.6 gal, 19 hours 20lb 25% load.

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator%2c-Electric-Start%2c-RV-Ready%2c-Parallel-Capable%2c-CARB-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
This looks pretty nice. $849, dual fuel capable, parallel capable, 3100 peak, 2800 running watts, 58db, 8 hours on 1.6 gal, 19 hours 20lb 25% load.

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator%2c-Electric-Start%2c-RV-Ready%2c-Parallel-Capable%2c-CARB-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html
View Quote
I do like the propane option for sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crownvic96:

But it weights a 100lbs...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By drmgallen:

View Quote
Yeah, I saw that.

Take the good with the bad, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pdave] [#34]
My order went through online, but it shows back ordered now. I wonder if it will actually ship.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#35]
If you put too much load on one of these generators, my guess is that it will trip offline.  Will any damage be done?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
If you put too much load on one of these generators, my guess is that it will trip offline.  Will any damage be done?
View Quote
Not if the over current on generator is working.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By zoe17:

Not if the over current on generator is working.
View Quote
Thanks.

It seems to me that the best option is to buy two 2kw peak load generators and run them in parallel.  Run just one when you need it for efficiency.  Run both when you need more load.  Run one if the other breaks down.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#38]
How long is the 2000 or 3500 rated for Hours per gallon?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:

Thanks.
It seems to me that the best option is to buy two 2kw peak load generators and run them in parallel.  Run just one when you need it for efficiency.  Run both when you need more load.  Run one if the other breaks down.
View Quote
Yeah that's my thinking as well after reading through all of this.  Now to decide on the Predator or the Champion.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

Yeah that's my thinking as well after reading through all of this.  Now to decide on the Predator or the Champion.
View Quote
Stupid question time.  Do the Champions allow you to run more than two in parallel in case I want to be Mr. Fancypants? I could look it up on their site, but responses are much more fun here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#41]
Yeah, I saw that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drmgallen:
Yeah, I saw that.
I'd just put a couple of wheels on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Pdave:
My order went through online, but it shows back ordered now. I wonder if it will actually ship.
View Quote
Can you post a screenshot or anything? I don't see that when looking at the item and can add it to a cart, but I ordered one last night 

I wonder if / when shipments may have started diverting south! Have they actually been out of stock for a couple weeks now? 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slack_out] [#43]
Originally Posted By Pdave:
View Quote
I purchased mine yesterday thanks to the OP's discount code.  When I go to the main HF website, I''m not seeing any mention of being  back ordered.  The main website has a "Track Your Oder" link. If you type in your order number and your zip code, it gives you an order status.  Mine has been showing "Shipment #xxxxxx" since yesterday.  I'm thinking that refers to a future shipment when HF expects to receive it.  Hopefully I'll get an email soon notifying that its shipped to me.

eta located in FL
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:16:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#44]
Originally Posted By Thunder_Stick:
How long is the 2000 or 3500 rated for Hours per gallon?
View Quote
Specs on the website.

The 2000 is 6.5 hours at half load, with a 1 gallon tank.
The 3500 is 11 hours at 25% load, with a 2.6 gallon tank.

Probably about 1/2 gallon an hour at full load for the 2000.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By slack_out:

I purchased mine yesterday thanks to the OP's discount code.  When I go to the main HF website, I''m not seeing any mention of being  back ordered.  The main website has a "Track Your Oder" link. If you type in your order number and your zip code, it gives you an order status.  Mine has been showing "Shipment #xxxxxx" since yesterday.  I'm thinking that refers to a future shipment when HF expects to receive it.  Hopefully I'll get an email soon notifying that its shipped to me.

eta located in FL
View Quote
I ordered at about noon Pacific yesterday and get the same thing. No activity on my card yet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#46]
As far as fuel cans, what are you guys using?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:40:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#47]
As far as fuel cans, what are you guys using?
View Quote
Long term storage, pre ban MFCs.
Extended run time, boat tanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Undefined:
The 3500 one looks good. Would look better under $500.
View Quote
If anyone can find that price it would be you!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
From the videos that I'm seeing on youtube, the HF Predator 3500 is quieter than the Honda 2000.
Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQt4krPAgA
View Quote
Interesting video...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FL_Roscoe:
I bought one last week and have it running right now next to the house. You can hear it running with the windows open but it's not obscene like my bigger generator. With the windows closed you wouldn't notice it. We're going on day 3 without power after Irma and it's been great. I have it plugged into a UPS with a TV/Fan/Fridge on the battery/surge outlets and a 12,000 BTU AC unit on a surge only outlet and the UPS only kicks in when the AC compressor starts up.

There's a coupon that brings the price down to $399.

Coupon
View Quote
I think we paid $1800 for a Honda EU3000i about 2004.

This makes me feel bad...

Page / 105
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top