Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/5/2023 9:51:17 PM EDT
**UPDATE- Going with a guide/track saw configuration and NOT a table saw.  Trying to find one in stock for $40-$50....please share suggestions.

Thanks!!   **

Giving some thought to building my own bar instead of paying someone else to do it.  If I plan ahead Lowe's/HD will do most, if not all, of the cuts for me.  One tool I don't have that'd be nice is a table saw.  HF has them for $150-$300.  In the store I wasn't able to tell much of a difference between the three offerings.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you ripping down?

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you ripping down?

View Quote

Plywood most likely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are in Georgia, you can have mine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Giving some thought to building my own bar instead of paying someone else to do it.  If I plan ahead Lowe's/HD will do most, if not all, of the cuts for me.  One tool I don't have that'd be nice is a table saw.  HF has them for $150-$300.  In the store I wasn't able to tell much of a difference between the three offerings.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks
View Quote

Have the 1st version of the Hercules....the new 1 is improved , as it has the rack/pinion fence....its exactly like the DeWalt....
bought it, and the 12" slide mitre saw(anuther DeWalt copy, turns more rpms...) at the time on special sale/coupons for less'n 600 bux....and that includes 7% S/Tax....no issues, have had for 4 yrs now, and use/make a live'n with this stuff day'ly...
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I would rather have a quality circular saw than a HF table saw. a couple clamps and a straight edge and you'll be as good as any rough carpenter in no time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Got a Bosch 4000 series jobsite saw that's got 3 fingers to its credit(not mine, thankfully)
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would rather have a quality circular saw than a HF table saw. a couple clamps and a straight edge and you'll be as good as any rough carpenter in no time.
View Quote

don't discount the Hercules stuff.....its as 'professional' as you'll find....but yeah, I got a rig out'a 1/4" ply I use ....and have for 48 yrs....I call it....'Ol Skool Festool'.......
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Hercules table and miter saw. Both are great, just get them with a coupon.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have the 1st version of the Hercules....the new 1 is improved , as it has the rack/pinion fence....its exactly like the DeWalt....
bought it, and the 12" slide mitre saw(anuther DeWalt copy, turns more rpms...) at the time on special sale/coupons for less'n 600 bux....and that includes 7% S/Tax....no issues, have had for 4 yrs now, and use/make a live'n with this stuff day'ly...
View Quote

Holy shit, reading this post gave me a headache.

Did midcap type this for you?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Holy shit, reading this post gave me a headache.

Did midcap type this for you?
View Quote

learn ta read?.....dunno whut else ta tell ya...

try this.....
https://www.amazon.com/Goodys-Headache-Powders-Strength-50-Count/dp/B001G7QRK8
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I tiled my whole house in natural slate 15 years ago with a $75 Harbor Freight tile saw. It worked awesome.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're going to buy a cheap tablesaw and don't know what you're doing, buy a tracksaw instead.

Especially if you plan to rip sheet goods. Which you are planning to do.

Buy the Wen and rock on or spend a bit more for the makita if you might use it down the road.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you're going to buy a cheap tablesaw and don't know what you're doing, buy a tracksaw instead.

Especially if you plan to rip sheet goods. Which you are planning to do.

Buy the Wen and rock on or spend a bit more for the makita if you might use it down the road.
View Quote

They have their place....but they'll never do whut a tablesaw will, or be as versatile
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I try and find deals on marketplace / Craigslist you'd be amazed at the homeowners that buy nice tools for one time use then sell. Just picked up a 10 inch dewalt table saw a couple weeks ago for 200.
Dewalt quit making them for some reason. I put more use on it the first day than the previous owner.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They have their place....but they'll never do whut a tablesaw will, or be as versatile
View Quote

OP isn't doing fine woodwork.

I have a very nice sawstop cabinet saw and still reach for my tracksaw frequently. For projects like he has in mind and with no prior experience he would be far safer with the tracksaw.

Cutting sheet goods on a tablesaw without proper precautions is dicey.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Plywood most likely.
View Quote

For just cutting plywood, a circular saw, a straight 2x2 and some clamps is more than sufficient.  I own a table saw and rarely pull it out relative to the circular saw.  I have a fancy Kreg guide, and use the trusty straight 2x2 and clamps more than the Kreg.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OP isn't doing fine woodwork.

I have a very nice sawstop cabinet saw and still reach for my tracksaw frequently. For projects like he has in mind and with no prior experience he would be far safer with the tracksaw.

Cutting sheet goods on a tablesaw without proper precautions is dicey.
View Quote

It CAN be....I've work'd onsite, and in a dedicated millshop(3 phase stuff, moulders, ripsaw, shapers,resaws etc) for over 45 yrs...I use my 'homemade tracksaw' rig to break down sheet goods out onsite to smaller width(s) to put on the compact tablesaw....but I have a bosch jobsite saw(larger) that I can rip whole sheets by myself, no problem, and have many times....'course, like anything...xperience is paramount....
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a smaller Milwaukee circular saw.  Works well but I don't have any experience ripping/tearing full sheets of plywood with it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It CAN be....I've work'd onsite, and in a dedicated millshop(3 phase stuff, moulders, ripsaw, shapers,resaws etc) for over 45 yrs...I use my 'homemade tracksaw' rig to break down sheet goods to smaller width(s) to put on the compact tablesaw....but I have a bosch jobsite saw(larger) that I can rip whole sheets by myself, no problem, and have many times....'course, like anything...xperience is paramount....
View Quote

Again, you have experience. You're literally someone who has worked in the industry.

Judging by the OP's username, he has probably seen a few tablesaw amputations, but if he is asking about a harbor freight tablesaw, I doubt he has a lot of experience with one, or outfeed/infeed rollers, or anything else I would want to rip sheets on a ts.

It's not that you can't... but passable tracksaws are cheap nowadays and don't take up much space.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have the Hercules table and miter saw. Both are great, just get them with a coupon.
View Quote

It's currently on sale for $299.  I don't think it would get much cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that’s not bad. Pre Covid it was $250.

Both of my saws were square out of the box. All big box brands are made overseas anyways. The herc saws come with a couple year warranty now too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a smaller Milwaukee circular saw.  Works well but I don't have any experience ripping/tearing full sheets of plywood with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, if the goal is to rip sheet goods down, a HF table saw is absolutely the wrong tool. You want a track saw. To rip big sheet goods down on a table saw properly, you need a cabinet saw or a helper and outfeed table and larger jobsite saw.

The far easier and safer way is a track saw.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Again, you have experience. You're literally someone who has worked in the industry.

Judging by the OP's username, he has probably seen a few tablesaw amputations, but if he is asking about a harbor freight tablesaw, I doubt he has a lot of experience with one, or outfeed/infeed rollers, or anything else I would want to rip sheets on a ts.

It's not that you can't... but passable tracksaws are cheap nowadays and don't take up much space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It CAN be....I've work'd onsite, and in a dedicated millshop(3 phase stuff, moulders, ripsaw, shapers,resaws etc) for over 45 yrs...I use my 'homemade tracksaw' rig to break down sheet goods to smaller width(s) to put on the compact tablesaw....but I have a bosch jobsite saw(larger) that I can rip whole sheets by myself, no problem, and have many times....'course, like anything...xperience is paramount....

This. Sheet goods should be processed on a cabinet saw or big jobsite saw with lots of support. Or, more easily, with a track saw.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I was in the same spot as you, spend a little more and go for the Dewalt Jobsite saw, I really like mine.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was in the same spot as you, spend a little more and go for the Dewalt Jobsite saw, I really like mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Dewalt7485TableSaw1_jpg-2841736.JPG
View Quote

I would add too if you're going to get a portable tablesaw as your only tablesaw, make sure it can take a dado stack. If cabinetry is what you want, that will make drawers a snap (look up the quarter quarter quarter method).

I think the Dewalt can (not sure about the smaller 8 1/4 versions). I used to have a similar Hitachi that could. I don't know if the HF can. I'd guess probably so as they sell a dado set in the store.

I don't want to sound like a downer on inexpensive table saws. With a good setup, a crosscut sled, and some jigs, they can do great work. I'm just leery of large sheets on small saws. That is literally my only hangup here. It is way too easy to pinch or throw a workpiece, or get your hand dragged over the blade.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Save yourself the headaches and dump >$2k on a hybrid table saw.

I have this one.

https://lagunatools.com/classic/tablesaws/f2/
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I would add too if you're going to get a portable tablesaw as your only tablesaw, make sure it can take a dado stack. If cabinetry is what you want, that will make drawers a snap (look up the quarter quarter quarter method).

I think the Dewalt can (not sure about the smaller 8 1/4 versions). I used to have a similar Hitachi that could. I don't know if the HF can. I'd guess probably so as they sell a dado set in the store.

I don't want to sound like a downer on inexpensive table saws. With a good setup, a crosscut sled, and some jigs, they can do great work. I'm just leery of large sheets on small saws. That is literally my only hangup here. It is way too easy to pinch or throw a workpiece, or get your hand dragged over the blade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a good point about the dado setup.
The Dewalt jobsite that I bought can't do dado - but I knew that when I bought it, but for my use dado isn't a factor.
But I agree, if you are planning on cabinetry or joinery, the the dado option is very important!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

don't discount the Hercules stuff.....its as 'professional' as you'll find....but yeah, I got a rig out'a 1/4" ply I use ....and have for 48 yrs....I call it....'Ol Skool Festool'.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve just spent a few days working a Hercules angle grinder pretty hard. My last grinder was a Porter Cable. This thing is hanging in there pretty well.

I’d probably go with a straight edge & circular saw for sheet goods, but don’t listen to me. I’m a hack when it comes to DIY stuff.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Harbor Freight sells a 2 piece metal straight edge that is 8 foot when slid together and clamps to the sheet so you can rip a piece of plywood with a skillsaw.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#32]
You need a track saw for ripping plywood!

Festool doesn't want you to see this DIY track saw

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

IMHO a router is far better than a dado blade.  Back in the days of radial arm saws, dados ruled but a router is the better option with good routers available cheap.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great point on the dado. My first was a smaller 10" Dewalt. It couldn't take a dado, and the infeed was so short that sleds were pretty much worthless. I grew out of it quickly.

I know two people with a Metabo HPT 10" and the both love them. One of them even has a Sawstop Contractor Saw collecting dust in the back of his garage now because of the Metabo's ease of use and capability.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight sells a 2 piece metal straight edge that is 8 foot when slid together and clamps to the sheet so you can rip a piece of plywood with a skillsaw.
View Quote

This?

To be honest, it does seem like a better idea to grab one of these and then use my circular saw.  All I'd need to to is either clamp the sheet to a surface or use horses to hold it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This?

To be honest, it does seem like a better idea to grab one of these and then use my circular saw.  All I'd need to to is either clamp the sheet to a surface or use horses to hold it.
View Quote

Yup that. I have a 35 year old craftsman table saw I use mostly but I've used that straight edge a lot. I don't know about their pics of them using it without having it clamped down, but yeah a couple of small clamps and good to go. Put together to rip the 8' way or one piece to rip the 4' way. I use it for layouts on stuff as well when I need a straight edge. Was super helpful building my wooden boat then my teardrop camper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup that. I have a 35 year old craftsman table saw I use mostly but I've used that straight edge a lot.
View Quote

Seems like so long as I can keep the board flat and measure twice....should work well for the few cuts I have to make.  This will be a pretty simple project so a $40 guide will let me get everything the right size to nail/screw together.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This?

View Quote

I have a delta table saw, but I often use one of those straight edges and my circular saw for breaking down plywood. It's easier since I'm always working by myself and not as young as I used to be.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This?

View Quote

Set the plywood on a sheet of Styrofoam then rip away.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

IMHO a router is far better than a dado blade.  Back in the days of radial arm saws, dados ruled but a router is the better option with good routers available cheap.
View Quote

Unless OP wants to also buy a router table and a full size router, it's just simpler to stick with the dado. And non-through cuts on a tablesaw with a dado are pretty safe (relatively speaking of course)

If he's asking about an HF tablesaw he probably does not want to fill his garage with tools he won't use much. It's easy to go wild spending someone else's money. If he can get away with a dado blade, great. If he's batching cabinet drawers it is an excellent tool. If he has room for a router table and router hey, it would also be an excellent option. He's probably going to want at least a trim router for softening edges or doing some decorative molding anyway.

My priorities here are safety first and then value. My workflow for this project would be tracksaw to rip then tablesaw to clean and I'd do drawers with a dado on the tablesaw, but I also have a large full size cabinet saw. Nothing wrong with the router table option but I trust my TS more.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Seems like so long as I can keep the board flat and measure twice....should work well for the few cuts I have to make.  This will be a pretty simple project so a $40 guide will let me get everything the right size to nail/screw together.  

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup that. I have a 35 year old craftsman table saw I use mostly but I've used that straight edge a lot.

Thanks

I've got the older shorter version of that from HF. As someone above noted, just throw some extra clamps on it. If you're having a hard time finding a large enough work flat work surface, a quick and easy way is to buy a 1.5" sheet of foam board and lay it on the ground in your driveway or garage, then run the track saw over it. Cutting a bit of foam won't hurt a thing.

For your measurements, don't forget to measure to account for the thickness of the kerf or thickness of the blade, and to plan which side of your line you'll cut on.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This?

Seems like they don't carry the 100" anymore.  The closest store that has one is a few hundred miles away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Only a couple of "tools" scare me. Table saws are one of them.
Harbor Freight table saws?

That's some Final Destination shit right there.

If you're just ripping plywood, get a Kreg rip jig. I have one and I love it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I used the Kreg ripping guide for my bar back and it worked fine.  That or a track saw would be my recommendation.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Seems like they don't carry the 100" anymore.  The closest store that has one is a few hundred miles away.
View Quote

Odd I checked where I bought mine and they had it. At my second home in rural MS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Get a DeWalt and call it a day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I used the Kreg ripping guide for my bar back and it worked fine.  That or a track saw would be my recommendation.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/221907/PXL_20221120_215722558_jpg-2841857.JPG
View Quote

Wow!! Beautiful work there!  Love the antique cash register.  I've got an antique slot machine I'm thinking of putting on mine (1950's Mills Deuce's Wild).  

I'm going to go the way of the track/guide rather than a table saw.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Odd I checked where I bought mine and they had it. At my second home in rural MS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Type in zip 18020 and see where they are in stock.  They're not from what I'm seeing.

I checked Amazon and there's a $100 option but that's the cheapest.  No other $40 ones.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Got a cheap Craftsman I paid $30 for on CL.  Thing is f’ing scary.  No way would I attempt to rip a sheet of plywood on that tiny table.  

Wonder if you’d be better off with a pair of sawhorses, long straight edge and a handheld circular saw?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Got a cheap Craftsman I paid $30 for on CL.  Thing is f’ing scary.  No way would I attempt to rip a sheet of plywood on that tiny table.  

Wonder if you’d be better off with a pair of sawhorses, long straight edge and a handheld circular saw?
View Quote

Yeah I agree....looking at tracks/guides now.  See OP.

Thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top