Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2021 12:14:44 AM EDT
I was excited to hear when Colt was going to re-release the Delta Elite. The deep blued Delta Elite was one of the first 1911s I ever shot and is always on my short list of the guns I want really bad.

But then when Colt did start selling them again, they only offered them in two-tone and stainless steel.

Again, another one of my grail Colts is the Python. I fell in love with that gun as a kid when I had the Crossman 357 Co2 gun. Just one of best looking wheel guns next to the Manurhin MR73.

So when Colt mentioned selling them again, I was ready to pay the big bucks for a brand new deeply blued Python.

And again, no blueing option available, only stainless steel.

For anyone keeping with news and rumors, what is the chances we'll ever start seeing blued Elites and Pythons coming out? I've just never been a fan of a stainless steel and to me when I think of both of those guns, I only imagine them with that deep mirror finished blue.

So sexy...

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Hand rubbed blueing would be worth the extra $$.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope they do.

I don't care for two toned or stainless guns at all.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Cerakote it or Ion Bond DLC, there are finishes that are more durable and are pretty close to bluing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Manufacturers don’t like doing bluing anymore.  My guess is that A) they could save a few bucks by just using stainless and B) bluing just isn’t as durable.  Definitely prettier though, and I think it’s a shame we don’t have more options.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Manufacturers don’t like doing bluing anymore.
View Quote

This /\. Its just too labor intensive and most of these places don't have the staff to do it right anymore.

I would love a new production Python in an old school polished bluing but I don't see it happening other then maybe an extremely limited distributor run. Any "Black" guns you are going to see from Colt (or any major manufacture) are going to be standard (non polished) bluing or more likely some kind of black coating over stainless.

While its not as pretty, Black Nitride over SS is a 10x better finish from a practical POV.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't trust it to be as good as before.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I could maybe see Lipseys or Talo doing a run of them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt walrus-wheel Royal bluing will never come back.  It's dead, Jim.

Charcoal bluing?  Maybe from Turnbull, possibly a custom shop.  If you get "blued" colts, it's probably going to be a dark oxide like they've been doing for years, not actually blue.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Sig has 320 and 365, Cold has a new/old 1911 and revolver.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
What are you trying to say? This makes NO sense.

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd rather have a railgun and python than any amount 320s and 365s
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd rather have a railgun and python than any amount 320s and 365s
View Quote

Different guns for different purposes and I don't like being limited or restricted so I'll take all 4 for the win Alex
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Colt walrus-wheel Royal bluing will never come back.  It's dead, Jim.

Charcoal bluing?  Maybe from Turnbull, possibly a custom shop.  If you get "blued" colts, it's probably going to be a dark oxide like they've been doing for years, not actually blue.
View Quote

Is it because the factories no longer have the equipment? Too labor intensive?

The Colt royal bluing is one of my all time favorite finishes. Feel like they're dropping the ball on not releasing anything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top