Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2021 12:09:33 PM EDT

https://www.livescience.com/what-is-call-of-the-void

Have you ever stood on a balcony, leaned over the edge and unexpectedly thought, "If I wanted to, I could just jump?" Or perhaps you've been at a cliff's edge, with the intention of doing nothing more than enjoying the view and fleetingly considered how easy it would be to simply step over the edge. This sudden, often unanticipated thought is usually nothing to be worried about, but it certainly warrants exploration.

This feeling — which tends to be brief, entirely out of character and often involves thoughts of leaping from a high place or driving headfirst into an oncoming vehicle — is more widespread than you might think. In fact, it's so common, the French have a term for it: l'appel du vide. In English, this translates to "the call of the void."
View Quote

I've heard it, usually my head feels 5 times heavier and wants to pull me over the edge.

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but I've heard vertigo saying, "get the fuck out of here or you're gonna fall right the fuck off the fucking edge".
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, and ironically I'm quite scared of heights.

Look up a few suicide jumper pics. It'll cure you of the urge forever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope and I don't like heights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I've felt it, but it's more like "the call of the bird".   Wondering what it would be like to jump off that cliff, pick up a little speed in free fall, then just casually unfold the wings and glide out over the abyss.

Like in that photo posted above... you know there's a couple falcons or ravens soaring overhead saying "Look at that dumb monkey, why doesn't he just jump?" "Because he doesn't have wings"  "Doesn't have wings? Damn, that must suck!"
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, can also be intrusive thoughts or depression
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, but I've heard vertigo saying, "get the fuck out of here or you're gonna fall right the fuck off the fucking edge".
View Quote

Okay, now this I've heard - loud and clear usually.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
No, but I work in Construction and kinda like or at least don't mind heights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't like heights, so there's no way in hell I'd be that close to the edge unless there was a very sturdy railing.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone I know who worked high rise construction has wondered what it would feel like to jump.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I think about it once in a while "if I just cranked the wheel one inch that way"

I think it's a good reminder of how close to death one is everyday / all the time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope.
I don't mind heights too much.
I don't mind falling, it's fun.
But I don't want to SPLAT!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Regularly. I died the second and fourth time.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm semi-afraid of heights, I get vertigo if I get near an edge like that, I don't do things like that.

Surprisingly, climbing or jumping out of an airplanes doesn't seem to bother me. A balcony or rock ledge like that, ain't happening. I'm terrified if I go on a roof, but only when I have to go to the edge to get on the ladder.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope and I don't like heights.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've felt it, but it's more like "the call of the bird".   Wondering what it would be like to jump off that cliff, pick up a little speed in free fall, then just casually unfold the wings and glide out over the abyss.

Like in that photo posted above... you know there's a couple falcons or ravens soaring overhead saying "Look at that dumb monkey, why doesn't he just jump?" "Because he doesn't have wings"  "Doesn't have wings? Damn, that must suck!"
View Quote

"As he flies on the wings of a dream, now he knows his father betrayed.
Now his wings turn to ashes, to ashes his grave."
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#17]
yes.  glad to know it is a thing.  i figured it was just me
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Nah, I’m more occupied with coaxing my nuts out of my body cavity when I look off a cliff.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I drive a mountain road to work, so yes, I feel like driving off a cliff every workday
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]
"So far, so good!"
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I felt that all my life on any place high enough to kill me if I fell.  Then I went skydiving.  The first time I sat on the door sill of a Cessna 182, looked down, felt that and then jumped, it stopped, and I had the perfectly clear thought, "What have you just done?"  Then the static line pulled tight and opened my chute and I steered it safely down onto the DZ.  I've jumped out of a lot of airplanes and never experienced l'appel du vide again.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Never.  All I can think of is how badly I don't want to fall.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#23]
The French also use(d) the term "le petit mort" (the little death) for orgasm, so there you go.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
No.  I'd be more likely to think that I hope I don't fall because I'll probably end up paralyzed only to come conscious long enough to realize I'm being eaten alive by coyotes/wolves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top