Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is the same model that one of our young engineers drives. Has been totalled out twice. He turned it into a pickup by cutting the back out and having a bed and tail gate laser cut and formed from sheet metal at work.
ETA: I call it his Porkup.

Listen dude you can’t just mention a Porkup and not give us pictures.

@ALASKANFIRE
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/185965/20221019_145248_jpg-2569011.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/185965/20221019_145256_jpg-2569012.JPG

Lmao I don’t know what that dude makes but he deserves a raise.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
True. The 914 was a hoot to drive. A friend worked at a Porsche shop that the boss put a 6 cylinder 911 engine in a 914! I got to take a ride in it. It was fast and handled pretty good. The 924 always reminded me of a Volkswagen Scirocco. Sciroccos were pretty peppy in their own right.
View Quote

I would figure the VW SP2 would have some kind of lineage to the 924.

Guess the SP2 is regarded as absolute junk.

But if a restomod were well done with one it would be a pretty unique ride.

SP2 mods that definitely drew inapiration from 928/944...
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The 924 always reminded me of a Volkswagen Scirocco. Sciroccos were pretty peppy in their own right.
View Quote

There's a reason for the similarity.  If memory serves...  The 924 was an engineering project commissioned by VW for a a sporty coupe assembled from existing VW parts.  VW shelved the idea, Porsche ran with project 924, and VW introduced the Scirocco.  So, now the world had a F engine, R drive, Transaxle car that brought us the 944 and 968, with it's close cousin, the 928.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/retro-modern-volkswagen-sp2-looks-like-as-good-as-a-ruf-porsche_4.jpg

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/retro-modern-volkswagen-sp2-looks-like-as-good-as-a-ruf-porsche_1.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True. The 914 was a hoot to drive. A friend worked at a Porsche shop that the boss put a 6 cylinder 911 engine in a 914! I got to take a ride in it. It was fast and handled pretty good. The 924 always reminded me of a Volkswagen Scirocco. Sciroccos were pretty peppy in their own right.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/retro-modern-volkswagen-sp2-looks-like-as-good-as-a-ruf-porsche_4.jpg

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/gallery/retro-modern-volkswagen-sp2-looks-like-as-good-as-a-ruf-porsche_1.jpg

SP2 was directed by Leiding while he headed VW Brazil - his wife was on the dev team.

When he was tapped as CEO, he commissioned Porsche to engineer the EA425 to replace the 914 for the co-owned VG.

SP2 was engineered by a somewhat under-resources sub-unit of VW, based on a obsolete platform (Beetle) for a market with huge constraints  - mainly price.  He had a small interior team and most was dedicated to styling. He rectified the base engineering issues of the SP2 by continuing the relationship with Porsche by initiating the EA425 project when got back to Europe - tho Schmucker blew that VG up. No direct engineering crossover tho.

They  were similar in they were both parts bins cars pushed by a sport car guy, but Porsche engineering was a huge differentiator.

That's the connection

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think that's entirely fair, since there has ALWAYS been the cheaper entry-level Porsche, which was for people that wanted a Porsche, but either couldn't afford a 911 (or 928) or just didn't want to spend that much.

Today it's the Boxster (and Cayman).  Before the 924 it was the 914, and before that the 912.

View Quote

funnily enough, the one prior to the 912 that was the "cheap porsche" was the Speedster model...  $1700ish vs. $2500ish for a coupe/cab when introduced.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Everyone forgets the the 1976 912E. A filler model in the US market to bridge the gap between the end of the 914 and the introduction of the 924.

It was basically a base model 911 with a 2.0 914 engine in it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everyone forgets the the 1976 912E. A filler model in the US market to bridge the gap between the end of the 914 and the introduction of the 924.

It was basically a base model 911 with a 2.0 914 engine in it.
View Quote

It deserves to be forgotten. At least the earlier 912s were really light and well balanced, the 2l 4cyl in a G body is just too slow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It deserves to be forgotten. At least the earlier 912s were really light and well balanced, the 2l 4cyl in a G body is just too slow.
View Quote
I drove one with the Sportomatic transmission in it. What a dog.

Anyone remember the 1972 911 debacle with the oil fill door on the right rear quarter panel? More than a few stories of clueless owners filling the oil tank with gas.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think the 2.7L 924S would have been a hit if pricing could have remained stable.

Would've been a nice update with some upsides. The few PreProds that weren't tested out were sold  - I'm not sure any were kept for the Factory Collection.  I've never seen one change hands tho.

Taj's GTS went back in '19 - prolly a deal at the $350k it went for.  Sad seeing Dixon's stuff gone.

View Quote

I had the pleasure of taking a couple private tours of the Taj garage back in about 2002. My friends mom worked with John and he brought us in to check out his collection. I was a huge porsche guy and was in love. Sitting in his 959 was absolutely surreal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got mine in 1997... it was a 1986 951... and could hold beat my buddy's mid-90s 4.6 Mustang GT every day and twice on Sundays.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105802/FB_IMG_1666227566399-2569197.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one.  It was cool, and slow. Handled great, and it was slow.  Slow.

I got mine in 1997... it was a 1986 951... and could hold beat my buddy's mid-90s 4.6 Mustang GT every day and twice on Sundays.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105802/FB_IMG_1666227566399-2569197.jpg

Sloooow? Assuming Presentism  - stock High 13s very fast  in late 80s and factory 030 cars were incredibly well balanced. They've got some quirks and needs to be kept on boil, they're still fantastic track cars.  Plenty of top for tracks like VIR or Watkins.

@disco_jon75 Still Stock 220 PS? Plenty stout - then from 88 250 PS on there were a handful of contemporary cars faster -  Italians, some 911s and few GM offerings.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had the pleasure of taking a couple private tours of the Taj garage back in about 2002. My friends mom worked with John and he brought us in to check out his collection. I was a huge porsche guy and was in love. Sitting in his 959 was absolutely surreal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the 2.7L 924S would have been a hit if pricing could have remained stable.

Would've been a nice update with some upsides. The few PreProds that weren't tested out were sold  - I'm not sure any were kept for the Factory Collection.  I've never seen one change hands tho.

Taj's GTS went back in '19 - prolly a deal at the $350k it went for.  Sad seeing Dixon's stuff gone.

That's awesome - truly a great guy. Sucks that 959 bit it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sloooow? Assuming Presentism  - stock High 13s very fast  in late 80s and factory 030 cars were incredibly well balanced. They've got some quirks and needs to be kept on boil, they're still fantastic track cars.  Plenty of top for tracks like VIR or Watkins.

@disco_jon75 Still Stock 220 PS? Plenty stout - then from 88 250 PS on there were a handful of contemporary cars faster -  Italians, some 911s and few GM offerings.

View Quote

Chipped, adjustable boost, and upgraded Konis at the time...
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do tell? What is the story behind this? I never heard it.

I do remember him saying when he was having it shipped over to him on a boat that the bumper was damaged. The body panels on that were a kevlar composite so I bet it was pricey(assuming there even were replacement parts due to its rarity).
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid setup - DD? Great car for the time. I'd've been jelly - hell still am
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I do remember him saying when he was having it shipped over to him on a boat that the bumper was damaged. The body panels on that were a kevlar composite so I bet it was pricey(assuming there even were replacement parts due to its rarity).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt know John, but I was aware of the import trail he blazed and the Taj. I heard about fairly soon after it happened, first from a guy I know, who is local and plugged in. Later from another Porsche guy from Ohio. Its been publicized since, public road accident, John wasnt at fault and wasnt hurt. Turns out Mike Spinelli - Jalopnik guy - was off to do piece and John had it out in prep, when it got smashed. Yea - the nightmare every collector has.

It wasnt in the Sotheby's auction so I always figured it was sold prior - repaired or wrote off.  Hell man John passed almost a decade ago, so this was maybe 2010?

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I always liked the 924S a bit better than the 944 - Kind of a stealth factor.

I never could get over the Audi truck motor in the original 924. I think the 944  still used a modified  Audi transmission and VW front uprights.

My son bought a 1988 944 when he graduated from basic, it was his daily driver for many years. It's still a fun car, we fixed the exhaust tonight. (Someone had done a shitty patch with galvanized pipe between the cat and the muffler, we cut it out and welded in stainless. Even the shitty repair lasted the 9-10 years he has had the car.)

It's harder to work on than my 911SC, but a better everyday car.

I don't think there's any other car he could have found for his $4500. that would serve him as well as that one has.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I always liked the 924S a bit better than the 944 - Kind of a stealth factor.

I never could get over the Audi truck motor in the original 924. I think the 944  still used a modified  Audi transmission and VW front uprights.

View Quote

Series 1 944 had lots of direct carry over from the 924 - roof, doors, lot of the rear, Hatch glass, hood, headlight assy/flip housings, brake lamp assy, Brakes had some minor improvements but dimensionally identical. Suspension got beefed due to the weight increase. 016 Manual and 087 Auto was the same used in 5000 and 4000s

924 gets a bad rap since it's judged by its entry characteristics. Drive a very early 911 and peeps would hate them as well.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:24:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that's entirely fair, since there has ALWAYS been the cheaper entry-level Porsche, which was for people that wanted a Porsche, but either couldn't afford a 911 (or 928) or just didn't want to spend that much.

Today it's the Boxster (and Cayman).  Before the 924 it was the 914, and before that the 912.

Did he actually put a 911 engine in it or was it a 914/6?  They made them with a six cylinder from the factory- I might have gotten passed by one on the Dragon many years ago. I was in a mild Fiat 124 and he was definitely a more experienced driver in a car specifically set up for running SCCA and roads like the Tail of the Dragon.  The 914s, like the Fiat X1/9s and a couple of other small cars, did really well in SCCA racing back in the day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top