Posted: 2/25/2025 12:08:33 PM EDT
|
So i just got a text from my daughter last night. The group she was going to spring break with fell apart and she now wants something to do. Last January we went to Bonaire and did about 25-30 dives together, had an absolute blast. Not sure i can swing that expensive of a trip, and i would prefer to stay in the states, but that pretty much leaves FL as far as i know. I would be willing to fly somewhere, but driving will make my life a lot easier with equipment. Here are the logistics for the timeframe. She can leave base 3 pm from Colorado Springs, CO March 21st. Travel time and check in to airport means realistically a later flight on 3/21 or anytime on 3/22. She MUST be back by 3/30 at 7 PM on base. Denver airport is a possibility. I live near Albany, NY, and would like to drive if possible (I can get their early with equipment, and pick her up from the airport, then drop her off and head back home). If i fly, it will be out of ALB. Can i do a nice dive trip to the FL keys in late March? Are their other areas? I checked out Texas diving and it doesn't seem to be a real possibility, with the Flower Garden Banks reef being a lot less traveled, and South Padre having some diving but not finding a lot of charters there. A 12 hour day for a 2 tank dive isn't really what i'm up for, and that would be a 1 day thing. I think FL is better suited to what i want, which is 2-3 dives a day for 2-4 days. Then maybe up to Miami or some other place for some other activities... who knows what. it doesn't have to be all diving all the time. If we met up someplace other than FL, where would you go to minimize travel time and cost, but still get some nice warm water diving? Thanks in advance for any input... |
The chickens are more concerned...
Member
Joined:
Dec 2023
Posts:
253
EE: 100% (8)
|
I think FL is perfectly doable, but I also own gear for both cold and warm water diving so I don't really care what water temps are. I'll let locals weigh in on suitability of specific dive sites that time of year. I would recommend NOT waiting until the 30th for the return. Way too high of a risk of weather or other delays with flights. Fly back the 29th and she'll have a day to do laundry and whatnot. |
|
OK, we have 4 nights at the Amoray in Key Largo and then 2 nights in Chesapeake Beach Resort in Islamorada. Have to pray we don't get trips canceled by weather, but it's the time i can go... March 22 to 26 and 26th to 28th. I know someone on here works at Silent World so i have to investigate if i can mix up what operation we work with when in Key Largo. Then looking at IslaMorada Dive center for some dives while there. The hotel at Amoray was pretty cheap and there are not a lot of places available... it's spring break after all. Then up to Orlando for 2 nights and a day at Sea World, which is free for active duty military, the one part of the trip my daughter is "paying" for... ![]() Thanks for input so far... and advice on dive trips is also appreciated. |
The chickens are more concerned...
