Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 8:56:08 PM EDT
So, was thinking about doing a 7-10 day road trip with my 13yo son this summer. Mix of vehicle camping and hotels.Sometime after mid June up to mid August.

Starting out of Northern Virginia.

Do I go to the northeast, southeast, or midwest?
Theme it like revolutionary war or civil war? Historical sites? WWII Ships? Museums? Theme parts and attractions?
Highways or back roads? Tiny towns or big cities?

Things like:
SE
Cape Canaveral for a launch
Pensacola for museum and Blue Angels practice
Huntsville space museum
Stone Mountain
Talledaga or other speedway for a race
USS North Carolina

NE:
Gettysburg
Liberty Hall
Freedom Trail

MW:
Badlands
Indianapolis motor speedway
Mount Rushmore
Old school state fair and/or 4H

Looking for ideas, routes, hidden gems, things to avoid, etc.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my best RT memories with my dad was staying at local hotels/motels.   No chains.  B&B type stuff with neat things, like one place was an old roadhouse/saloon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it was New Mexico where you can view the caldera of a dead volcano just off of the main road.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
I think it was New Mexico where you can view the caldera of a dead volcano just off of the main road.
View Quote

There's a huge meteor crater in AZ that hit just a few hundred yards from a road.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Lewis and Clark trail would be cool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
One of my best RT memories with my dad was staying at local hotels/motels.   No chains.  B&B type stuff with neat things, like one place was an old roadhouse/saloon.
View Quote
Nice! Will look once locations get narrowed down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

There's a huge meteor crater in AZ that hit just a few hundred yards from a road.
View Quote

Good thing it missed the road.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do the SE and hit the Cape for a launch, in addition to the Space Center stuff there is a nice little aviation museum in Titusville that's worth a look.
https://www.valiantaircommand.com/

If you stopped for the night in Daytona you could see the track/museum they have, it's a half day experience, drive the hour to Titusville see that museum then check into your hotel. Go to the Space Center the next day, it's an all day thing.

If you are going to Pensacola, the Air Force Ordnance museum is at Eglin, and the USS Alabama is just a bit past Pensacola in Mobile.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#9]
I've done 5 long road trips with my boy (now 10), and I'm about to embark in anytime one this summer. I go from here to home (Texas) every time, but I take a different route each time, just to keep it fresh and interesting. It doesn't matter which direction you go, because you can find good stuff anywhere.

I'll give some general tips that can help with the concept:
Get a couple of audio books to listen to for the long interstate stretches.
Don't fixate on distance per day; find the things worth seeing along the way and plan the trip around them.
Allow time for diversions.
KOAs are great. The cabins are cheaper than hotels. They're family-friendly, they usually have pools, bikes, trails and various things to do. After long periods in the car, it's nice to get some activity in.
Find the local flavor. Look up restaurants, museums, and attractions that are unique to the area you're staying in. I've gotten some great ideas by posting in the HTF here for the states I'm visiting. The locals will know about cool things that a Google search might not show you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
As much as I hate Massachusetts, Boston/Lexington/Concord is pretty cool for Revolutionary War sightseeing.

We stayed at Concord's Colonial Inn, a building built in 1727.

You could tie that in with visits to NYC and Philadelphia for other RW points of interest.
View Quote
100% worth a trip there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:
Originally Posted By McGuy:

[hate on Idi Amin all you want, but this post would make him chuckle]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:50:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#12]
Sygic Planner is what you need
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top