Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2024 10:14:18 PM EDT
Yes, I want to play Star Wars Galaxies.  I played it when it first came out and left at NGE.

My Laptop that is Windows based is an Alienware M17x that I got around 2010.  It was stacked in specs when I bought it but now, it’s still ok, BUT the issue is, the server I need to use to play is Windows 10 or above only.  My Laptop is WIndows 7. I am not sure if my laptop will even run Windows 10.  

Anyone upgrade their laptop from Windows 7 to 10?  Or do I need to buy a $500 laptop from target to play this old game?
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious, have you actually tried to play on that server yet?  How can they enforce you to use windows 10?  Are you wanting to host your own server?  That could very well require you to have windows 10.

As far as upgrading goes, you should be able to upgrade from 7 to 10 easy.  I don't even like doing straight upgrades, but back your stuff up and do an in place upgrade use this link make a usb from the "create windows 10 installation media" link and it should give you an option to upgrade in place.  

Just make sure you back up just in case, unless you don't care, then wipe it and just install it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Otherwise you options are limitless.  If your machine can handle SWG, which is very well should, no need.  Otherwise you can build a decent computer for around 1k if that's what you're wanting.

Seriously though, what server is trying to tell you that you must have windows 10?
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jatobi:
Just curious, have you actually tried to play on that server yet?  How can they enforce you to use windows 10?  Are you wanting to host your own server?  That could very well require you to have windows 10.

As far as upgrading goes, you should be able to upgrade from 7 to 10 easy.  I don't even like doing straight upgrades, but back your stuff up and do an in place upgrade use this link make a usb from the "create windows 10 installation media" link and it should give you an option to upgrade in place.  

Just make sure you back up just in case, unless you don't care, then wipe it and just install it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Otherwise you options are limitless.  If your machine can handle SWG, which is very well should, no need.  Otherwise you can build a decent computer for around 1k if that's what you're wanting.

Seriously though, what server is trying to tell you that you must have windows 10?
View Quote

Original servers shutdown in 2011. Looks like everything out there are emu servers, which only support 10 or higher. Example from one server I ran across.

"SWG Restoration runs on Windows 10 or higher. The client is not supported to run on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP as we only support operating systems that are still within the Microsoft Long-Term Support Lifecycle."
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

Original servers shutdown in 2011. Looks like everything out there are emu servers, which only support 10 or higher. Example from one server I ran across.

"SWG Restoration runs on Windows 10 or higher. The client is not supported to run on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP as we only support operating systems that are still within the Microsoft Long-Term Support Lifecycle."
View Quote

So it's an emulator basically and not a regular private server type setup.  Gotcha.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out Microcenter
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#5]
That is a name I have not heard... in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Has someone rebooted the old, original SW Galaxies????  I played it for a quite a while when it first came out, but left it once the kiddies all screamed about not being able to be a Jedi in 2 weeks and they made that a player class you could just choose right off.  I liked it because the entire point was to try to become a Jedi (and no one knew exactly the steps to do it).  To me, that was the fun part, trying to figure it out.

I was a human Teras Kasi animal handler, had 3 rancors, lol.  No one messed with me!  I recall (as best as my old faded memory can) when the first person became a Jedi, they paraded him around to the various servers.  Very shortly after, someone else made it and then, if I recall correctly, they got their accounts banned because they sold them for some ridiculous amount of money.  There was quite a bruhaha over it.

Man, I would love to roll right back into that if it's up and running somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
You couldn't become a jedi you just randomly got the choice during character creation and it was a really low percentage.  When you died as a jedi it was permadeath and you became a blue glowy (everyone that was an OG jedi was given the ability to activate a blue glowy skin after NGE).  I came in like two weeks after NGE (new game experience) so I never got to see any of that cool stuff.

I think my server was Chilastra?  OR clan tag.  I had a jedi and a medic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
That was the later update change.  In the original, if you did all the right stuff you would get a message that indicated you were force sensitive and then had to other stuff to begin your force training.  Supposedly, what those things you had to do to become force sensitive was different for every player, so there was no way for anyone to post a "do this, then that" tutorial to become a Jedi.  And, the total number of force sensitive/Jedi was limited on each server.

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I would try to update your laptop to Windows 11 and see if it runs. You can find keys for cheap on some websites. I think it's worth a shot at spending $10 - $20 to upgrade your OS to see if you can play the game.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neomonk21] [#10]
Man, I miss SWG.  I used to run 3 accounts.  I think I still have an unopened Jump To Lightspeed box somewhere.  My friend and I put a lot of time into that game.

ETA:  Wasn't the original way to become a Jedi you had to master 5 professions that were randomly set when you created your character?  Once you did that then you were force sensitive.  They later added datacrons so you could figure out some of your professions.  When they added the datacrons I only had 2 professions left on my main character.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
SWG, man blast from the past.

OG account that left at the rebalance like most did. Sold jedi account on ebay.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
Man, I miss SWG.  I used to run 3 accounts.  I think I still have an unopened Jump To Lightspeed box somewhere.  My friend and I put a lot of time into that game.

ETA:  Wasn't the original way to become a Jedi you had to master 5 professions that were randomly set when you created your character?  Once you did that then you were force sensitive.  They later added datacrons so you could figure out some of your professions.  When they added the datacrons I only had 2 professions left on my main character.
View Quote

I think it was a random set of badges that you had to earn and would generally include several professions you had to master, but might also include hitting certain POIs and clearing certain content.   I started playing pre-CU, but only for the space expansion. I didn't bother mastering any of the ground combat professions until CU was released.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top