Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2018 10:31:23 PM EDT
and they have me taking you to up the bridge.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I told them my views on life the universe and everything....
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
LoL, just found HHGttG on netflix and watched it again. Pretty terrible overall, but I do love to watch Zooey Deschanel in anything.

Also have begun to collect first edition printings of the books when I run across them.

Thus far have pretty good 1st printing first edition copies of So Long and Mostly Harmless. An 8th printing run, first edition of Life, the Universe and Everything, and a 4th printing 1st edition of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe missing its dust cover.

Haven't come across a 1st edition HHGttG yet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
"I am at a rough estimate thirty billion times more intelligent than you. Let me give you an example. Think of a number, any number."

"Er, five."

"Wrong. You see?"
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The Vogon ship hovered in the sky in much the same way bricks don't.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The ships hung in the air the same way that bricks don't.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Life? Don't talk to me about life!
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Now the world has gone to bed
Darkness won't engulf my head
I can see by infra-red
How I hate the night
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
That movie was an insult to the masterpiece that was the book.  
I don't even particularly like books, but I loved that one.  Enough that I bought it.  Only book I've ever bought as an adult (I was much more into reading as a kid).
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I haven't seen the movie, The book(s) are too good to be ruined.
View Quote
The movie they made a few years ago?  It was awful.  Alan Rickman as Marvin was the only thing about it that was good.  The rest was terrible.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m so hip I can’t see past my own pelvis.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#18]
R E L A X
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:46:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I enjoyed the movie.  But I also never read the book.  The first time I thought it was quite funny.  And Zooey Deschanel is certainly easy on the eyes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I enjoyed the movie.  But I also never read the book.  The first time I thought it was quite funny.  And Zooey Deschanel is certainly easy on the eyes.
View Quote
It was originally a 6 episode BBC radio show, expanded to 12 episodes after the first 6 were so well received.  Forget the book.  Find a copy of the radio show!
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#21]
No problem with the movie... in fact it influenced me to read the books; which are amazing.  I've never found myself laughing out loud while reading a book before.

Not from the movie but from the book:

"The President in particular is very much a figurehead  he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. On those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox is one of the most successful Presidents the Galaxy has ever had  he has already spent two of his ten presidential years in prison for fraud."
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:19:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Found it on vinyl, but only the first 6 episodes.

Also found a digital copy, although the quality isn't very good...
https://archive.org/details/HitchHikersGuide06
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#23]
There is only one Marvin

Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There are things about it that I didn't like (Zaphod's portrayal, etc.), but Rickman knocked it out of the park as Marvin.
View Quote
Voiced by Alan Rickman, played by Warwick Davis.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Mostly harmless.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s important to point out the book was not the original medium by which the story was told. The story started as a radio show. The radio show did things the book could not do, and vice verse.

The movie was excellent as a movie. They didn’t try to make a movie of the book, they made a movie as a movie. Thus, they succeeded.

One need not supplant the other, just as the book did not supplant the radio show.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I seem to recall a serialization of this on late night UHF TV back in the mid 80's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I seem to recall a serialization of this on late night UHF TV back in the mid 80's.
View Quote
It didn’t last long, but yes, there was a BBC TV series that was carried in the US. I used to have it on VHS... probably still have it in a box in storage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I can't find my leather bound copy with the first five books of the increasingly misnamed trilogy......grrr!
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#30]

...is what you seek in the video medium - the original BBC television mini-series.

Never listened to the whole radio show, but:

Books > BBC Video > Mos Def

I didn't dislike Mos Def as much as I expected to, but I still much prefer the BBC version.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I can't find my leather bound copy with the first five books of the increasingly misnamed trilogy......grrr!
View Quote
Pretty sure that’s the only version where you can find “Young Zaphod Plays it Safe.”

My copy is also lost somewhere in a box stored... somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I saw the movie and enjoyed it for what it was.

Then I read the books, and am rereading it again 9 years later. The books are amazing, and I'm not one who gets bent out of shape over book/movie differences.

I really can't get into old BBC shows (Dr Who, HHGTTG, etc...) so the tv series version on Prime was painful to get through.

Any idea where to hear the radio version? I'd like to listen in my way to work.
View Quote
It used to be available on CD back in the day.

I have it and the original Star Wars radio show... you guessed it - somewhere in storage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#36]
That game was hard as hell.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#38]
It'd be impossible to make a movie that does justice to the book unless the movie was as long and detailed as the book and the BBC serial that followed it very closely.

Though I can't remember it in adequate detail, there's  a paragraph in the book that describes a race that developed telepathy, and two weeks later, they were all extinct.

Yeah, I think the ability to read each other's minds all the time WOULD create an extinction event.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Available as Part of the Lost Treasures of Infocom app.

Now no longer compatible with newer versions of iOS.

Sad face.

https://www.change.org/p/activision-convince-activision-to-convert-their-ios-game-lost-treasures-of-infocom-to-64-bit
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I saw the movie and enjoyed it for what it was.

Then I read the books, and am rereading it again 9 years later. The books are amazing, and I'm not one who gets bent out of shape over book/movie differences.

I really can't get into old BBC shows (Dr Who, HHGTTG, etc...) so the tv series version on Prime was painful to get through.

Any idea where to hear the radio version? I'd like to listen in my way to work.
View Quote
The BBC is just... different. Until lately, they have never had the money to make movies like Hollyweird. And their actors keep defecting over the pond.

They have raised British audiences to enjoy a different standard of theater, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Hanging around a cat's neck disguised as jewelry?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#42]
"There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#44]
No the recordings, though. Just the scripts.

Interestingly, the reviews make a “prime” example of one of my major Amazon peeves. Many of those reviews seem to be for the 5-book complete trilogy, not the radio show scripts. Amazon does a shitty job keeping its reviews associated with the products they are reviewing, and misleads a lot of people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I never got the fish.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#46]
But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#47]
It's not Douglas Adams level humor, but it's still funny.

Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#48]
So this is the sort of thing you carbon-based life forms do for fun, is it? I ask merely for information.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
There was a BBC Television six episode production that ran in 1980 back during the heyday of BBC science fiction programming.  Hitchhiker's Guide, Red Dwarf and Dr Who were all PBS staples on Saturday afternoons for me back in those days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There are things about it that I didn't like (Zaphod's portrayal, etc.), but Rickman knocked it out of the park as Marvin.
View Quote
Best of Marvin (The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top