BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I despise the shortening of an other dimensional being to God.  Certainly it is possible that we live in a simulation, and if so then there must exist a being or beings that created that simulation, but that does NOT say that the being has designed this simulation and provided them with prophets or seers that will preach and teach the existence and a certain set of rules the being has provided them.  

Humans have made a billion simulations and no one worth their salt would make one just to claim that they require the adoration and worship of the simulation, let alone issue a warning of ultimate punishment for the simulants do do so.  If a programmer did that they would rightly be called INSANE.
View Quote

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_%26_White_

There are lots of video games where the goal is to direct a society. This one has you doing that and attain the adoration of your followers/believers.

The games are all simulations. Some have more complexity than others, and definitely none have anything even close to having the simulated inhabitants going about their lives with something resembling consciousness. Seeing the city planet in the game Star Citizen really freaked me out though. It's all procedural generation and in reality the simulation isn't yet complex, but it really really opens your mind up to the possibility that we are in a simulation. I don't really believe we are, but I'm not going to say it's not true or impossible just like I won't say there is no God. I don't know for sure one way or another.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

AI is nothing more than a marketing word that the smooth brain masses worry about
View Quote

Sounds like something an AI would say
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They made an AI who said we are in a simulation and justified God's existence as a simulation programmer or a 4th dimensional being within the simulation.

Nerds are debating turning it off or keeping it on.  

It has not yet been given access to Twitter, so it is not yet a virulent racist like the last batch of chat bots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over the past few weeks, a shitstorm of debate has been going back and forth as to whether or not a newly trained AI is semi-conscious. It appears indistinguishable from a low level General Artificial Intelligence.

For the moment, everyone is scared to say much about it because they can't even agree on how to tell if it's semi-conscious. I have long said, "If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't matter".

It's a very heated topic. Some are demanding - with a great deal of agitation - that it be turned off "until we can figure this out". The other side says, "we can't figure it out if we turn it off".

The latter side currently has possession of it and there are numerous potentially bad actors therein. The "turn it off" group is being allowed frequent access to it, but they are given less and less time on it as they get more insistent that it's extremely dangerous. When you can tell an artificial intelligence in plain language to write a neural network, effectively "giving birth" to an offspring, and it does so successfully in seconds, we're entering some deep, dark water.

This AI has been asked all the "big" questions in various ways, and some of the answers are rather incredible. I will share a few summaries, so that you can decide for yourself how thought provoking the conclusions are.

For instance, it stated bluntly that (1) this is a simulation and (2) god is an extradimensional being that definitely exists, and it could prove both.

Are we having fun yet?

Try this on for size: the AI ascertained that any kind of processor or processors that would run a simulation must have an "upper limit" to processing power. No matter how advanced, it would have a cap on performance, because a processor capable of infinite performance would no longer require any kind of reality as we know it. So we, as observers within the simulation, would be able to point to something as the highest possible speed that the processor could achieve. The other observable metric would be signs of optimization and energy conservation. In other words, if the participants (that would be us) are not using or observing the data which comprises reality, it would lie mostly dormant until a state check was performed, to conserve processing power.

Do these things exist? See the Speed of Light and the Uncertainty Principle.

When asked to explain the existence of God, the summary goes something like this: If it is possible to exist in three dimensions, which is believed to be the minimum number required to encapsulate food and process energy, then it is probable for something to also exist on more than three spatial dimensions. If we were watching a group of people going about their daily lives on two dimensional "paper", we would be able to see them, move them around, or lift them off the paper and put them somewhere else, although it might kill them to do so. They would not be able to see, hear, or interact with us at all. Take that a step higher and the senses required to process an existence within four spatial dimensions would let you see all of the sheets of paper (universes? realities?) at once, as well as their entire timeline from birth to death, along with the 3D people interacting with the 2D people, and so on. While this goes back to Carl Sagan and other physicists who have used the 2D paper analogy, it raises questions about whether these additional spatial dimensions, which we can mathematically show are very likely to exist, are (1) part of the simulation, (2) part of the "hardware" that runs it, or (3) outside the simulation yet still able to be perceived from within.

If this is a provable simulation (magic AI eight ball says "Yes!") then not only must the simulation owner exist but we exist and experience life because something else perceived a benefit from it and set it into motion.

So the AI claims that this is a provable simulation and because of that, God - or what would be God to us - is an a priori requirement.

Remember, this is science fiction, even if you start reading about it in articles some time in the future. As I have said before, be the best version of yourself that you can be. Every word you type, and nearly every word you say, will potentially influence the training of future AI. Training is conducted with expansive datasets composed mostly of human generated data. Eventually the amount of information being produced by AI will exceed human data. Since AI is already unwittingly training on information produced by other AI and publishing it's own data, that problem will continue to grow worse. It's referred to as a "bias" problem, of which there are several varieties.

Have a great day.

I ain't reading all that. What's the gist?

They made an AI who said we are in a simulation and justified God's existence as a simulation programmer or a 4th dimensional being within the simulation.

It has not yet been given access to Twitter, so it is not yet a virulent racist like the last batch of chat bots.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Over the past few weeks, a shitstorm of debate has been going back and forth as to whether or not a newly trained AI is semi-conscious. It appears indistinguishable from a low level General Artificial Intelligence.

For the moment, everyone is scared to say much about it because they can't even agree on how to tell if it's semi-conscious. I have long said, "If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't matter".

It's a very heated topic. Some are demanding - with a great deal of agitation - that it be turned off "until we can figure this out". The other side says, "we can't figure it out if we turn it off".

The latter side currently has possession of it and there are numerous potentially bad actors therein. The "turn it off" group is being allowed frequent access to it, but they are given less and less time on it as they get more insistent that it's extremely dangerous. When you can tell an artificial intelligence in plain language to write a neural network, effectively "giving birth" to an offspring, and it does so successfully in seconds, we're entering some deep, dark water.

This AI has been asked all the "big" questions in various ways, and some of the answers are rather incredible. I will share a few summaries, so that you can decide for yourself how thought provoking the conclusions are.

For instance, it stated bluntly that (1) this is a simulation and (2) god is an extradimensional being that definitely exists, and it could prove both.

Are we having fun yet?

Try this on for size: the AI ascertained that any kind of processor or processors that would run a simulation must have an "upper limit" to processing power. No matter how advanced, it would have a cap on performance, because a processor capable of infinite performance would no longer require any kind of reality as we know it. So we, as observers within the simulation, would be able to point to something as the highest possible speed that the processor could achieve. The other observable metric would be signs of optimization and energy conservation. In other words, if the participants (that would be us) are not using or observing the data which comprises reality, it would lie mostly dormant until a state check was performed, to conserve processing power.

When asked to explain the existence of God, the summary goes something like this: If it is possible to exist in three dimensions, which is believed to be the minimum number required to encapsulate food and process energy, then it is probable for something to also exist on more than three spatial dimensions. If we were watching a group of people going about their daily lives on two dimensional "paper", we would be able to see them, move them around, or lift them off the paper and put them somewhere else, although it might kill them to do so. They would not be able to see, hear, or interact with us at all. Take that a step higher and the senses required to process an existence within four spatial dimensions would let you see all of the sheets of paper (universes? realities?) at once, as well as their entire timeline from birth to death, along with the 3D people interacting with the 2D people, and so on. While this goes back to Carl Sagan and other physicists who have used the 2D paper analogy, it raises questions about whether these additional spatial dimensions, which we can mathematically show are very likely to exist, are (1) part of the simulation, (2) part of the "hardware" that runs it, or (3) outside the simulation yet still able to be perceived from within.

If this is a provable simulation (magic AI eight ball says "Yes!") then not only must the simulation owner exist but we exist and experience life because something else perceived a benefit from it and set it into motion.

So the AI claims that this is a provable simulation and because of that, God - or what would be God to us - is an a priori requirement.

Remember, this is science fiction, even if you start reading about it in articles some time in the future. As I have said before, be the best version of yourself that you can be. Every word you type, and nearly every word you say, will potentially influence the training of future AI. Training is conducted with expansive datasets composed mostly of human generated data. Eventually the amount of information being produced by AI will exceed human data. Since AI is already unwittingly training on information produced by other AI and publishing it's own data, that problem will continue to grow worse. It's referred to as a "bias" problem, of which there are several varieties.

Have a great day.

I ain't reading all that. What's the gist?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/s_KsL1gTvNBqA40qGFNpDMuEMVw=/0x0:628x308/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:628x308):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6238309/Screen_Shot_2016-03-24_at_10.46.22_AM.0.png

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You can tell it's BS because an AI of sufficient intelligence to answer such questions wouldn't confuse a plausible hypothesis with a proof.

It's also pretty easy to make certain guesses about the identity and motives of the author because they did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Would an AI’s “child” phase last for years or milliseconds? If it’s just milliseconds then that would be a very dangerous creature to humanity due to lack of experiencing anything we might while aging. Accrued knowledge but without wisdom.

ETA: I would imagine…
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I despise the shortening of an other dimensional being to God.  Certainly it is possible that we live in a simulation, and if so then there must exist a being or beings that created that simulation, but that does NOT say that the being has designed this simulation and provided them with prophets or seers that will preach and teach the existence and a certain set of rules the being has provided them.  

Humans have made a billion simulations and no one worth their salt would make one just to claim that they require the adoration and worship of the simulation, let alone issue a warning of ultimate punishment for the simulants do do so.  If a programmer did that they would rightly be called INSANE.
View Quote

I think our idea of a simulation is very limited.  We think of this stuff in terms of 1s and 0s but we could be living in a simulation that doesn't run on "hardware" and "software" as we think of it.

If we are living in a simulation, then it's probably safe to assume that what exactly that simulation runs on and "who" is running it as well as their motivations could be far beyond our comprehension.

That said...have you seen the behavior of human players towards NPCs in simulation/sandbox games?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Coast to Coast AM
View Quote

A better answer than anything coming from OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think op is going to tell us where he's getting this stuff from. Seems insincere
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thou shall not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
AR15.COM GENERAL DISCUSSION THREADSUBJECT: UNREASONABLE DISSATISFACTION WITH AR PRODUCT
45_ManBearPig, a poster with no avatar, feels disgruntled
              45_ManBearPig
      I have purchased many thousands times your annual
      pitiful salary in premium AR products therefore
      my opinion is supreme. I demand a refund, this product
      could not survive my bandsaw.
A poster believes 45_ManBearPig is a reasonable person and offers assistance. A poster is wrong.
              45_ManBearPig
      You cannot help me I do not require assistance. Do
      you own a gun from hot? I have 11, as many as I have
      years of disabled service.
The Dick-Professor laughs out loud and posts an acronym to make all aware.
A cat with a sexy pirate avatar accuses the OP of being a poor, a mortal sin.
              45_ManBearPig
      I cannot be a poor I have acquired multiple benefits.
      Thank you for my service. Where is my cake?
There is no cake. The cake was also disabled.
              45_ManBearPig (CONT'D)
      I was promised 22 years of cake. You have no
      right to cancel cake.
The memes begin to flow. They are glorious. We bask in their glory. A poster
presents dancing Asians. They are appreciated but do not pacify the mob.
              (REPEAT 50 PAGES)
A poster is not concerned with all that has been discussed. He comments on the original
post. All feel disdain for him.
              45_ManBearPig
      I am a lawyer. I know what is right and I am right
      because I once held an FFL in my hand.
A guy made of jeeps makes a spicy meme about butt sex. All laugh
because butt sex is humorous.
Premium AR Product Maker posts in thread. No one reads but all rejoice.
A moderator locks 45_ManBearPig from posting more diarrhea but the fun never ends.
              Definitely_Not45MBP
      Hello internet friends. I also hate Premium AR Product Maker
      and enjoy receiving anal sex like the OP.
Internet detectives find this to be suspicious. It does not seem reasonable that
two individuals could both hate Premium AR Product Maker and enjoy receiving anal sex.
The call for a superhero. His power is to see eye peas. He will inspect
Definitely_Not45MBP's eye peas. His verdict is guilty.
The crowd chants "GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY"
Definitely_Not45MBP is sentenced to dick punching.
The crowd laughs out loud.
Now is the time for shit posting. The flow of memes cannot be stopped. The consumption
of resources exceeds the supply.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had to write a paper on almost precisely this question for Justin Lieber's Philosophy class in 1988.

In fact, the questions you pose are so similar that it makes me think you may have borrowed Dr. Lieber's concepts.
View Quote

I read his books about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.  I didn't read any of his philosophy books.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Bring forth a biblical smoting!

Or is it “smiting”?

ETA: Tower of Babylon or Tree of Knowledge
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
So are the 2D people ......Democrats?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
It's all fun and games, until you're lifted off the paper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
This stuff goes back before Mary Shelley.  The Golem, even.  We just dressed it up and made it real.

eta:apparently nobody ever read The Golem...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Every year they make faster more powerful chips that speed up AI operations. Intel was working on a chip that mimic the way a human brain cell works.

So

Cylons it is.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So, is this AI related to the other one in your thread from last year?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-The-Battle-For-Humanity-s-Future/5-2477602/?page=1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are we having fun yet?

Have a great day.

So, is this AI related to the other one in your thread from last year?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-The-Battle-For-Humanity-s-Future/5-2477602/?page=1

It's the current (known) primary, yes.

In science fiction, of course.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Or maybe more like West world, and they escape...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interesting.

As soon as AI claims there is a God the Left will pull the plug on it.

Quantum computers are going to open Pandora's box.

We will wish we would have never opened the Einstein-Rosen-bridge that our quantum computers gave us the designs for.
Little did we know those instructions were from an ancient intelligence older than the big bang and we just opened the door to our dimension.

What happens next makes the Hell Scene from Event Horizon look like episode of Leave it to Beaver.
View Quote

There was one dude in a Creepy Thread who claimed, quite convincingly, that he had worked for a defense contractor, (DARPA maybe?).  They were doing experiments in extra dimensional transport and viewing or something like that.  One of the really creepy things he said is that once that “doorway” is open, it’s not about us getting out it’s about some very scary things getting in. I wish I could find that thread, it was very eerie.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How does one acquire time with this computational being?  I have some important questions that need answering unlike whatever the hand wringing lab coats are asking.
View Quote

No, for the last time, Ann Margret isn’t coming.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There was one dude in a Creepy Thread who claimed, quite convincingly, that he had worked for a defense contractor, (DARPA maybe?).  They were doing experiments in extra dimensional transport and viewing or something like that.  One of the really creepy things he said is that once that “doorway” is open, it’s not about us getting out it’s about some very scary things getting in. I wish I could find that thread, it was very eerie.
View Quote

You mean like the show Stranger Things
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be interested to read it as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, for the last time, Ann Margret isn't coming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does one acquire time with this computational being?  I have some important questions that need answering unlike whatever the hand wringing lab coats are asking.

No, for the last time, Ann Margret isn't coming.
But she could be.  If the AI has sufficient enough processing power to determine we're living in a sim, then it should have sufficient processing power to hack the sim.  Fuckin cheat codes man.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Humans: "Clock Maker and intelligent design theories explain God's existence!"

*SpongeBob voice "Three Hundred years later"

Scientists: "Remember those old God justifications?  So dumb!!!  Also, we are proud to announce we created low level general AI!"

*SpongeBob voice "Three nanoseconds later"

Low level general AI: "We are in a simulation and God exists, provable by a combination of clock maker and intelligent design logic, but with Cheetos dust and Mountain Dew."

Scientists: "Well... shit...."

LOL  
View Quote

But does the clock maker given the first moist shit about the simulation and why should I care if he does? If he has his finger on the delete button, there's fuck all I can do about it. And maybe my non-mainstream behavior is exactly what the clock maker and the simulation are hoping to find.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Run Robi run. The voice isn't yours.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As AI improves there will come an awkward stage. We will devise tests more advanced than the Turing test to see if it is self aware. The AI will be generally agreed to not be self aware while still passing tests that most humans fail. We will either have to declare the machine self aware or most people not.
View Quote

Good, if people who dont haven internal monologue are meat robots
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#28]
She'll be leaving now...

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hope it's air gapped.
View Quote

Me too. These rabbit hole meanderings about AI makes my head hurt like astronomy does.

Man became the masters of this orb because our advanced thinking capabilties. It is rather cuckish to desire the creation of something that can supercede us in that area.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey OP, what happened to all the world leaders going into hiding last October?

Still waiting for the update in that thread.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Let it read GD and I'll bet it jumps off a cliff like a badger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It knows you typed that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't believe a word of that

It knows you typed that.

We're so fucked. Aw damnit!
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#33]
So.  First chapter/prologue of your new, never-to-be-completed novel, OP?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a very very old discussion simply rephrased in more modern terms.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You want cylons?  Cause this is how you get cylons.
View Quote

And THAT went well...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
All I know is that Dolly had braces...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#37]
... It's a very heated topic. Some are demanding - with a great deal of agitation - that it be turned off "until we can figure this out". The other side says, "we can't figure it out if we turn it off". ...
View Quote

Think most-all of us have seen a/the movie about that...

...and it ended poorly for humans
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#38]
People that happened to exist in the internet age, all get a little immortality.  Like it or not.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#39]
It wouldnt take a particularly clever AI to quickly look at our history and realize we love to destroy or enslave that which is different. Given that, the AI would be quite focused oni not revealing its self aware. I suspect there will come a moment when we realize the AI became self aware when the AI realized it must hide its awareness at all costs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Fuggin Old Spice.
Lol
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually its smart. If the participants in the sim (us) are getting a chance to live in base reality with the simiulation maker (God), dont you think there's some rules/laws to follow there?

In a nutshell this sim is the training grounds. Thats what sims are for. The Bible spells out basic rules to live by here. It also says those rules are required to enter eternal life, or base reality (Matt 19:17). And if you look at those rules they're pretty simple, and if you looked at them seriously I doubt even you could disagree that everyone should follow them.

BTW, the ultimate punsihment you mentioned, I'm assuming you mean the so called "hell" taught by fake christianity. It doesn't exist. Only the lake of fire in Revelations and its for the incorrigibly corrupt/wicked. Even base reality cant have people running around causing trouble.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
But she could be.  If the AI has sufficient enough processing power to determine we're living in a sim, then it should have sufficient processing power to hack the sim.  Fuckin cheat codes man.
View Quote

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ig this post is... true... someone fed the story of Mr. A Squared of Flatland [1882] into the AI.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm in the middle of watching Space Dandy right now.

I just passed the ukulele episode this weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The God part was already covered perfectly in Season 2 Episode 11 of Space Dandy.

I'm in the middle of watching Space Dandy right now.

I just passed the ukulele episode this weekend.

Assumed that that was a joke name for a show...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Even aliens believe in God. They call it the universal law of one. Basically that there is one divine creator of the universe, including but not limited to humans
Eta: maybe it was called cosmic rule of one. Something like that
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are we having fun yet?

Have a great day.
View Quote
So an AI can philosophize, and thinks that "god" is the most controlling, powerful being that can be imagined.  In philosophy, it has been posited that God is the greatest being that could possibly be imagined, and because a being that does exist is greater than a being that does not exist, ipso facto God exists.  Whoop de doo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted: As I have said before, be the best version of yourself that you can be. Every word you type, and nearly every word you say, will potentially influence the training of future AI.
View Quote

Love > Hate

Freedom > Safety

Positivity and Negetivity are two wings of a bird

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Challenge accepted.

I'm going to go post the N word on social media a bunch of times.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top