BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 5:55:20 PM EDT
May 27, 1997 -- Jarrell, TX F5

Jarrell Texas 1997

Horrific EF-5 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma: May 20, 2013

Moore Oklahoma 2013

5/3/99: KFOR Meteorologist Mike Morgan Speechless during the Bridge Creek/Moore F5 Tornado

Moore Oklahoma 1999

1974 SUPER OUTBREAK " DAY OF THE KILLER TORNADOES " NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE 85544

1974 super outbreak
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raverill] [#1]
Yahoo City, MS April 24, 2010. EF4

Devastating Yazoo City, MS tornado
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:04:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#2]
drove through Shawnee OK last year and the area around I40 still looked twisted up and demolished. Here is a picture someone took of the tornado, or one in that same outbreak.
Attachment Attached File

NWS maintains good pages about these notable tornado outbreaks. https://www.weather.gov/oun/events-20230419

There was a Vilonia AR tornado in 2011 that was over 1 mile wide.
https://www.tornadotalk.com/arkansas-tornadoes-of-april-25-2011/

Worst one I can remember hearing about was the Joplin MO tornado, same year. 158 deaths
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Joplin_tornado
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
1979 Tornado (Terrible Tuesday)

I was way out in the country near where this cell started. Still the record for the number of tornados I could see on the ground at the same time (three). It got dark and hailed softballs.

For those of you that don't know, it's kinda a redneck tradition that men stand around in the front yard and watch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember when this one hit. Great read linked below

Jerrell Tornado Wikipedia
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
For those of you that don't know, it's kinda a redneck tradition that men stand around in the front yard and watch.
View Quote

Yep. Not all bad memories watching meteorologist Ned Perme on channel 7, then going outside to listen to the tornado sirens and look for wall clouds when the rain stops and everything looks green
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#7]
1974 Xenia F5 tornado, 32 deaths from the tornado

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I was working in Norman when that tornado hit in 1999. I was about 2 miles ahead of it when it hit.

When I walked thru the front door, my wife gave me a huge hug. She thought I was still on I-35 heading home. The aftermath was unbelievable. It looked like what I imagine a war zone to look.

There wasn't a thing higher than a blade of grass several hundred yards wide. It was unreal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Not so much famous for what the tornado did, but for the guy filming it hit his house.  
MAN FILMS MONSTER TORNADO HITTING HIS HOUSE! Fairdale IL #Tornado

Basically a 3 minute, attempted suicide video.  Still, one of the best looks at what a tornado actually does that I've seen on film.  Along with that BNSF train video today.

You all stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Palm Sunday 1965

I believe this photo was taken near Elkhart Indiana Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

There isn't any video of it, but the Tri-state tornado was pretty bad.  ~700 people killed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_tornado_outbreak

https://www.weather.gov/pah/1925Tornado_ss
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Lubbock 1970   I remember hiding in the bathtub under a mattress, then going with my Grandfather to his office downtown or what was left of it. I remember a lot of glass, and rubble and the lights at Jones Stadium being on the ground.
https://texasarchive.org/2009_02782?b=0&e=0

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The Storm Prediction Center’s watch page for April 27, 2011. The numbers will blow your mind:
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/2011/ww0235_prob.html
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Beecher tornado
Attachment Attached File

On Monday, June 8, 1953, an exceptionally violent tornado struck the north side of Flint, Michigan and the northern suburb of Beecher, causing catastrophic damage and hundreds of casualties. Rated as an F5 on the Fujita Scale, the tornado touched down in Genesee County, Michigan, at 8:30 p.m. EST (01:30 UTC) and continued on a 18.6-mile-path (29.9 km), causing 116 fatalities, 844 injuries and an estimated $19 million (1953 USD) in damage.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rod727] [#16]

Xenia Ohio 1974 was originally listed as an F6  on the Fujita scale before Ted Fujita declared that we cant wrap our brains around an F6 then it was downgraded to an F5….. there is one for the ages a tornado downgraded to an F5…holy shit
My dad was working just west of Xenia at the time. He came home from work and we piled in the car and drove over to Xenia before National guard arrived etc….as a 9 year old I will never forget what I saw that day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:35:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mr_o] [#17]
https://www.wunderground.com/article/storms/tornado/news/2021-05-19-joplin-tornado-memories

2011 Joplin, MO tornado
EF5
Six miles long
Up to a mile-wide path of devastation
One hundred fifty-eight fatalities

Devastating Joplin, Missouri EF-5 Tornado - May 22, 2011
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mr_o:
https://www.wunderground.com/article/storms/tornado/news/2021-05-19-joplin-tornado-memories

2011 Joplin, MO tornado
EF5
Six miles long
Up to a mile-wide path of devastation
One hundred fifty-eight fatalities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7CtF5ljxY
View Quote

Damn that is an amazing video
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
On May 4, 2007 a F5 prairie sweeper destroyed 95% of Greensburg, Kansas.

I had just driven through the town 14 months earlier on my way to a wedding in KC.

It came in the night, so I don't think there is any film of it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:
Not so much famous for what the tornado did, but for the guy filming it hit his house.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0c27Twu__o

Basically a 3 minute, attempted suicide video.  Still, one of the best looks at what a tornado actually does that I've seen on film.  Along with that BNSF train video today.

View Quote

I can’t find the BNSF video.  Anyone have a link
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
None of these have anything on the 1925 Tri-State Tornado.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]

I was 7 living in Arlington
Baseball game at the city park.
Sirens went off with bright sunshine to the west.
Got hail and then stood outside and watched the storm to the east over Omaha
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Consigli:
On May 4, 2007 a F5 prairie sweeper destroyed 95% of Greensburg, Kansas.

I had just driven through the town 14 months earlier on my way to a wedding in KC.

It came in the night, so I don't think there is any film of it.
View Quote

NETF-1 deployed to search.
I was on that
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#24]

I survived the “Sneak Attack of ‘75”. That pic is from the now long gone AK-SAR-BEN race track, iirc. We were living in Papillion and heard/felt the tornado pass as we sheltered in our basement. I was only 8yo but I’ll never forget it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
drove through Shawnee OK last year and the area around I40 still looked twisted up and demolished. Here is a picture someone took of the tornado, or one in that same outbreak.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/tornado_jpg-3199586.JPG

View Quote

My girlfriend was supposed to be delivering flowers to the Shawnee Lowe's about the time that tornado hit but for some reason she wasn't there. God was looking out for her.

I remember the 1999 Moore tornado well. I also remember the tanger outlet center in Stroud being destroyed by it while it followed the turnpike up towards Tulsa and then eventually ran out of fuel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Weather History: 1989 Huntsville Alabama Tornado
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By OKC556CPA:
I was working in Norman when that tornado hit in 1999. I was about 2 miles ahead of it when it hit.

When I walked thru the front door, my wife gave me a huge hug. She thought I was still on I-35 heading home. The aftermath was unbelievable. It looked like what I imagine a war zone to look.

There wasn't a thing higher than a blade of grass several hundred yards wide. It was unreal.
View Quote

I saw where it crossed I-35. It stripped the ground completely bare, not even grass was left. It looked like a bulldozer crossed the highway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By scully:
Palm Sunday 1965

I believe this photo was taken near Elkhart Indiana https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69522/IMG_2441_jpeg-3199674.JPG
View Quote

My parents, as teenagers, saw this from opposite angles as they lived a few miles apart growing up.  one saw one funnel because one was hidden behind the other, the other saw both.  my aunt was a few years younger and FLIPS OUT when storms are in the area due to this outbreak.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thunderw21] [#29]
Can't forget El Reno.

El Reno: Lessons From the Most Dangerous Tornado in Storm Observing History

LARGEST TORNADO EVER!!! From Birth to Death (w/ Radar & Commentary) 5-31-13
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:

I saw where it crossed I-35. It stripped the ground completely bare, not even grass was left. It looked like a bulldozer crossed the highway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There was a section of Sooner Road east of I35 where they believe it crossed into a theoretical F6.  It literally sucked the asphalt off the ground leaving nothing but gravel and dirt behind.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Thuban:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Og0uSNxsZM
View Quote

My Mom and I drove down Airport Rd about 5 or so minutes before this tornado came ripping through.  I was still in elementary school and we had gone over to this area for some errand after school.  All I remember was the aftermath which still sticks in my mind to this day.  All the cars tossed everywhere, the amount of debris, and lots of "toothpicks" of lumber as my Dad described it later that had to be cleaned up.  My Dad worked with a company that was dispatched to handle cleanup in the area.  One of the very few times I ever saw my Dad cry was when he came home after the first day of cleaning and hugged me.  I didn't fully understand at the time.  I've seen my Dad cry only 2 other times in my life.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:
Not so much famous for what the tornado did, but for the guy filming it hit his house.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0c27Twu__o

View Quote

I drove through that town a few days after. As far as I could tell, every single building in town had damage (the ones that were left anyway)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#33]

My girlfriend was supposed to be delivering flowers to the Shawnee Lowe's about the time that tornado hit but for some reason she wasn't there. God was looking out for her.

I remember the 1999 Moore tornado well. I also remember the tanger outlet center in Stroud being destroyed by it while it followed the turnpike up towards Tulsa and then eventually ran out of fuel.
View Quote

I was living in Sapulpa in ‘99.  I could see the storm from Tulsa while it was punishing OKC.  Watched it march up i44 and when there was a funnel cloud sighted west of there, I went into the storm shelter.   Felt the pressure change as the circulation went just south of us before a twister touched down in Sapulpa.   That’s what caused channel 8 to take cover.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#34]
My mom, uncle and grandfather sat outside Hillsdale, KS when this monster came thru.   Uncle’s teacher was killed in it.  Grandma stayed in town as they owned the phone company and she had to operate the switchboard.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1957_Central_Plains_tornado_outbreak_sequence
In 2019 I was in Tulsa to clear out a storage unit when a tornado hit just south of the hotel I was at.  Luckily it want that big
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:45:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thirteener] [#35]
Originally Posted By crwdplsr:

I can’t find the BNSF video.  Anyone have a link
View Quote

Actually know both crew members. Went through engine class with the engineer.

My father was sheltering inside one in Flynn Yard in OKC just north of Moore in 99'

Got to see the Andover tornado up closer than I would have liked in 91'

Duke Evans' 1991 video of the Andover tornado
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:56:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:

There was a section of Sooner Road east of I35 where they believe it crossed into a theoretical F6.  It literally sucked the asphalt off the ground leaving nothing but gravel and dirt behind.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:

What the fuck? That's insane.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:32:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

I survived the “Sneak Attack of ‘75”. That pic is from the now long gone AK-SAR-BEN race track, iirc. We were living in Papillion and heard/felt the tornado pass as we sheltered in
our basement. I was only 8yo but I’ll never forget it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Makarov:

I survived the “Sneak Attack of ‘75”. That pic is from the now long gone AK-SAR-BEN race track, iirc. We were living in Papillion and heard/felt the tornado pass as we sheltered in
our basement. I was only 8yo but I’ll never forget it.

I was at a car dealership,  watching this thing coming straight for us.
It suddenly took a right hand turn and went up into Benson.
It took the roof off the building and tossed around some cars, despite being a couple blocks away.
There was a guy, in Benson, who was outside, on his roof watching it, who was killed.
I also saw the police car, with his windows blown out, driving in front of the funnel, siren going, honking his horn, trying to warn people.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By scully:
Palm Sunday 1965

I believe this photo was taken near Elkhart Indiana https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69522/IMG_2441_jpeg-3199674.JPG
View Quote

Near Dunlap specifically.  I wasn't anywhere near alive yet, but I know the area well.  That's looking north along U.S. Rte-33 where it parallels the New York Central's main line.  That photo is actually now thought to be a photo of one of a pair of twin tornadoes that struck that day: some evidence exists to indicate that a second pair of twin tornadoes destroyed a mobile home park later that evening near the U.S. Rte-20 bypass a few hours after a local newspaper photographer took this famous photograph.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:36:17 AM EDT
[#39]
The Joplin tornado picked up the hospital and moved it a couple feet. It was at that time the most powerful tornado ever recorded. It also sucked manhole covers out of the ground.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Joplin_tornado

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top