Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2022 3:38:22 PM EDT
Underappreciated historical weapons: THE GUN-AXE

Here’s my Friday afternoon time waster. Apparently combination axe-guns were significantly more practical and popular than the more famous gun-swords, and now I want to make my own. How would you go about making a modern axe-gun? Not talking about the cheesy “Zombie Killer” picatinny axe bayonets that were floating around a while ago, I mean a genuinely practical and useable combination axe and firearm.

My initial thoughts would be to use a birdshead semi-auto shotgun and get a custom axe head barrel clamp forged for it. Or maybe a lever-action Mare’s Leg, also with a custom forged barrel clamp…

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Was this Axe Gun really used in battle? Boarding Axe Carbine with firearms expert Jonathan Ferguson

Second expert agrees. Apparently a variant of this type of weapon was officially adopted by an actual military, so it MUST be good!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if one were to post footage of youtube where you shoot a deer with that and then decapitate it to finish it off.

I may need one of these.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if one were to post footage of youtube where you shoot a deer with that and then decapitate it to finish it off.

I may need one of these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I may need one of these.

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You could slap somebody with bedazzled pink bag of dicks and it would be less gay than a modern axe gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I may need one of these.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I may need one of these.

Different kind of bayonet charge?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Chain saw bayo still has it beat-- still pretty cool though, boarding pistols writ large!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]

If Kyle had one of those, the video may have been very different...
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chain saw bayo still has it beat-- still pretty cool though, boarding pistols writ large!
View Quote

With the improvements in battery-powered chainsaws, this may be something worth revisiting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Huh, learned something new today.  In all my 53 years of being a history buff, I have never heard of this before.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Classmate made one.  He bored out round stock to take a golf ball and drilled a touch hole.  Then he welded it onto the end an ax with a spike on the other side.  Halkenbusch!  Couldn't hit squat with the gonne but it's unrifled, short barrel and only good for short distances anyway.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

With the improvements in battery-powered chainsaws, this may be something worth revisiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the weird zombie chainsaw bayonet still the only legitimate attempt at this so far?

That thing’s getting pretty dated at this point isn’t it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#15]

But I prefer the axe head mounted to the muzzle of the gun
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
As we saw in the historical documentary "Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter", an axe gun is quiet useful in hand to hand combat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As we saw in the historical documentary "Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter", an axe gun is quiet useful in hand to hand combat.
View Quote

There what now? Never saw that movie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top