Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 3:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher15]
Update: Compression is right around 150psi.  So that seems fine. Also have new plug and a rebuilt carb.

Update: So, I have rebuilt the carb and replaced the plug but no start.  I do believe its pulling fuel because its pretty easy to pull and wasn't before (it sat for a few years). The lubrication form the mix got it moving well enough. Thing is it will only 'run' after pouring some fuel directly into it.  It seems like the carb is not stock to the saw but does fit all the controls. Nothing Ive seen says the Walbro WJ27 is stock to it.  So..... with that.. I dont know if it has reeds in it or not. Spec sheet says its supposed to have a 4 sided pyramid setup.

So I got a free vintage Homelite saw (no brake) and need some ID help.  I think its a Super XL-925 but not 100% sure. There is no ID tag on the saw that I can find.  So here is what I really have to go off of.  A worn clutch cover and its model number. Model number doesnt exactly match what pops up as clutch covers for sale but XL-925 covers do with ever so slightly different PN's.

Idea is to restore it to working condition

I am certain it isnt an XP-1020 or similar 100cc saw.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
bumpity

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
One bit of info is that the carb is a Walbro WJ27 carb
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Need pics of the entire saw to get an overall idea.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: safe1] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Need pics of the entire saw to get an overall idea.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By safe1:
Super XL?
View Quote
I am thinking it is a Super XL-925, yea.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Careful with the fuel on that. I had one identical and it ran on 32:1, I believe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher15] [#8]
Originally Posted By HUMONGO:
Careful with the fuel on that. I had one identical and it ran on 32:1, I believe.
View Quote
yep, 32:1
https://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/ac955814c40922b988256c260048fd18?OpenDocument

Mine has a black filter cover and black accents on the clutch cover.
The Husqy I got with teh Homelite (268xp) and my Echo 8000 take 50:1
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know what it is, but the Homelite color is the exact same as chevy engine paint. Just in case you were thinking about going there. :) I had a Homelite 20" mower for over 30 years. B&S 3.5 HP aluminum-deck bagger that manicured a yard like no other. Everything started to go downhill about the time they discontinued the correct blade. I only used it regularly '90 to '94 when we moved to a bigger place and I needed a 21" self-propelled mower with the power to mulch. I still kept the Homelite but lent it out to relatives, who just about destroyed it, so every fall I would fix it all up again. This went on for years until everybody was finally done with it, and it had started to have a little rattle in the connecting rod. That's when I took it apart and put it in the trash can. It was just done, but that engine never used a drop of oil.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Not much to them.

A saw that old could be down on vacuum. Have a compression gauge handy?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Take the carb apart and see if the “tower” in the middle is gunked up. That is where the problem usually is, especially if it tries to run when you manually add fuel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Just get a new carb for it off Amazon, should be less that $20. That's the way I've fixed nearly all my 2 stroke engines that were hard starting or wouldn't stay running, it's never failed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell yeah! Built in a time when men where men, a saw was a saw and the only safety feature on the thing was "don't be a dumbass".

My SXLAO
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

She's got a new cylinder and piston, rebuilt carb, ditched the points and condenser for a solid state chip, new recoil spring and 1/8" amsteel blue abrasion resistant line for the pull cord.  A full chisel Oregon professional chain and some 32:1 mix and this thing EATS.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]
If the crank seals suck air, it'll never run right.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't offer any help, but am jealous and hope you get it running.  Looks like a beast.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I had one, it actually ran okay.

But no chain brake, no thank you. Kickback is dangerous enough with a damn chain brake.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:58:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#19]
I'm currently working on bringing a Poulan 306 back to life.  I just took the carb apart today and dropped the diaphragms in some tranny oil to make them less crispy.  I'll let you know after they've soaked a few days.  If the more pliable diaphragms pump and meter fuel better and allow it to run, I'll buy a replacement kit.  I also found some waxy build-up in the fuel line, so I replaced the small diameter line and cleaned out the large diameter line.  The saw I have is low on compression, so this is more of a quest than an expectation of having a viable saw.  I don't think I will use a saw with no brake enough to justify rebuilding the piston and cylinder.

As a side benefit this saw is very similar to the 245 used by Leatherface in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: (not my saw, representative image)

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Check compression.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Compression check, vacuum/pressure check on the crankcase are all good ideas...

However, if it runs pouring mix in the carb throat, it should have enough compression to run if the carb is close.  Odds are either the carb is really stopped up OR it's just not getting enough fuel.  So potentially the carb isn't correct for the saw OR isn't adjusted properly.  If you get it to run on the carb but it won't idle for shit....it's definitely time for a crankcase pressure/vacuum test.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:43:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HotHolster] [#22]
I guess its the Homelite season of no starts, except my three start but won't stay running. One I just had a new carb put on mid last year and it will start and run and it will rev up for 30 seconds then quit.  I use non ethanol gas and they don't sit for long periods of time. I put all fresh gas and some sea foam in the tanks and hoping that the short time they run, the sea foam will loosen any gunk.  When I get a chance I'll do carbs I guess.

Edit:  This morning the Super 240 Classic started and ran. Lots of smoke from the sea foam additive but after a couple minutes it lessened as lot. One other started and quit, the other one just laughed at me.  At least 1 have the one I wanted running, is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Abominable:
Just get a new carb for it off Amazon, should be less that $20. That's the way I've fixed nearly all my 2 stroke engines that were hard starting or wouldn't stay running, it's never failed.
View Quote

I had to do that for my Echo weedeater.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Compression is right around 150psi.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gillplate] [#25]
Are your jets adjusted to an appropriate starting point?
Should be close to 1 1/2 turns out on both.

ETA pretty sure those were reed valve type so you should have the pyramid with the valves between the carb and the cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it may be a slightly bent reed. Its ever so slight but when put against a machinist square it shows light.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By gillplate:
Are your jets adjusted to an appropriate starting point?
Should be close to 1 1/2 turns out on both.

ETA pretty sure those were reed valve type so you should have the pyramid with the valves between the carb and the cylinder.
View Quote
Ive read high circuit can be damn near closed but its 1/4 turn out.  Not sure what the low side is yet. I havent touched that one.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Have you checked for spark?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Only run ethanol free gas in it with echo 2 cycle mix. 32:1 mix. Better to have a thicker mix than too thin
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Learn how to adjust the carb needles.  Usually a 1/2 turn one way or the other on the low speed jet will get it starting like a champ.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#33]
So I opened up the carb again.  Looks like I had the wrong circuit flapper sheet thing (dont know what its called..lol) and it had an extra hole so.. tiny fuel leak from that.  I flipped the slightly bent reed and reinstalled.  Then the pull cord decided to break
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By imq707s:
Learn how to adjust the carb needles.  Usually a 1/2 turn one way or the other on the low speed jet will get it starting like a champ.
View Quote
I reset the needles.  Its 1.25 turns out but then the pull cord broke so I decided thats enough for today
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#36]
Ethanol probably wrecked the fuel line from the tank. unless it's all copper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
I reset the needles.  Its 1.25 turns out but then the pull cord broke so I decided thats enough for today
View Quote

Replacing pull cords sucks balls. Never fun
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Fixed the cord. SO I have compression, the spark, and the fuel... why you no worky..

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Abominable:
View Quote
I just did that with a Troy-bilt weed whacker and it worked great
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Rebuilds are fun. Not necessarily economically sensible, but still fun.
If isn't for serious use, take a look at the new electrics. The manufacturers are doing a good job with some of them,
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerM] [#42]
Got my grandfather's blue homelite xl12 with bow bar. Sweet saw.  Got it running after sitting for a long time.I remember watching him run that bad ass saw when I was about 5. Needed a saw earlier today, grabbed the Walmart Blackmax.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urluzn] [#43]
May need to do a vacuum and pressure check on the engine.  Air leaks will kill a two stroke.  Make a block off plate for the exhaust and one in place of the carb.  Get a brake line tester from the auto parts store that can pull a vacuum and pressurize.  Something that old generally needs crank seals to run right.  Also remove and check your flywheel and make sure the key isn't sheared on it getting it out of time if it is cast into the flywheel.  As mentioned earlier check for exhaust blockages.  I have also seen the porcelain on the sparkplug  break and cover the electrode so check that as well.  If it has reed valves make sure a saw chip is not hanging one open.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#44]
filter, line, carb rebuild, and plug.  A little more cleaning of varnish, a lil adjustment, and boom.. it works.  Anyone want a running vintage Homelite?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Was thinking of a repaint and restoring the writing
https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/homelite-chainsaw-restoration.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top