Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2020 11:25:10 PM EDT
first saw footage of this car a few months ago... to my taste it really looks good.. cute compact car. I personally like little cars like the Mini and 500, so this styling really does it for me... and I've owned and enjoyed small Hondas in the past so I'm kinda onboard with their design language I guess you could say..

the interior looks really cool the way they laid it out, the dash and stuff.. really interesting and roomy looking... this guy talks about a future Type R which would be sweet.

Honda e: the EV that electric car haters love // Jonny Smith

25 minute video, but by the 5 minute mark you will have seen it inside out... just thought I'd share what looks like a pretty neat car from a manufacturer that's capable of doing some cool things..
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for later.

What is the range?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The rear view mirror with camera is pretty awesome, the side view camera is pretty cool, but not totally sold on the display location for them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Interior looks amazing, but it is a tiny car.  Are you really going to fit two full grown Arfcommers in the rear?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#4]
They Should have just brought back the ek hatchback and made it electric and I would be a buyer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like an old VW Rabbitt.

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I think the idea is to look like an old CIVIC
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#8]

would..
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#9]
How is this not a Little Pony thread?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks closer to Honda Z600 to me
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this why all their cars are shit now? Focusing on this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably trapped in a car,  with a dead cell phone battery as well
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Why can't anyone make an electric car that is externally indistiguishable from an ICE version of said car?

Basically, have a trim option for it.

Example :  Honda Civic (coupe, sedan hatchback)

LX - 5 spd ICE
EX - CVT ICE
EV - all electric
EH - hybrid

Then offer the 'upgrade' interior / feature packages for each.

Not that I want an electric car myself, just seems the above would be inline with normal expectations for a buyer looking at options.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I look at that and think....

"dang, that's a lot of electronics that can fail... "
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I really like the looks. It needs bigger wheels like the concept version.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#16]
My neighbors had one of these in 76

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice that car companies are releasing more EV’s, but most are boring and slow. I think the manufacturers need to make them more appealing to people than “saving the planet” types who don’t care for style or speed. With more ev’s the charging infrastructure, battery/overall cost, technology, etc will all improve.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:57:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Interior looks good, all the cameras and monitors are definitely the technology of the future Vehicles
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:01:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Cars for the peasants while elites roll in uparmored Tahoes & 'burbs.

Zero doubt CR and IIHS will splooge over its economy and safety*

*vs a fixed object rather than a normal vehicle
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is this why all their cars are shit now? Focusing on this?
View Quote
EU market?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why can't anyone make an electric car that is externally indistiguishable from an ICE version of said car?

Example :  Honda Civic (coupe, sedan hatchback)

LX - 5 spd ICE
EX - CVT ICE
EV - all electric
EH - hybrid

Then offer the 'upgrade' interior / feature packages for each.

Not that I want an electric car myself, just seems the above would be inline with normal expectations for a buyer looking at options.
View Quote
That would be a parts and design. Nightmare.  honda has done well to limit power train options In the past. Lately things have gotten more complicated. For example in an accord you have two turbo engine options, one hybrid option.  A cvt, a 10speed, I’m. I can’t even remember seeing a manual in one off the top of my head.  Adding in an electric power train would cause more complexity.

The bigger point is that I doubt you will ever see this car for sale in the us. Honda as publicly said that they do not feel the battery tech is there for all electric cars in Their price range.  They have decided to focus their energy on hybrids.

Once the new crvs hit dealers there will be a hybrid crv, accord, clarity, and  Insight.

On a smart as note Honda doesn’t make a 5 speed anything anymore.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#22]
A buddy had one in HS. It was that light green color that Honda used to offer. We called it the Pepto-mobile. Not sure why.

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

(snip)
View Quote
Because for a lot of people, a large amount of the appeal of electric car is the virtue signaling.  "Look at me!  See how enviro-conscious I am because I drive an electric?!"

For those folks, why drive an electric car if NO ONE can even tell you are driving one?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice that car companies are releasing more EV’s, but most are boring and slow. I think the manufacturers need to make them more appealing to people than “saving the planet” types who don’t care for style or speed. With more ev’s the charging infrastructure, battery/overall cost, technology, etc will all improve.
View Quote
Tesla, Porsche, Ford, and others are going down that road, but at some point, you have to market EVs to people who aren’t in the Mercedes E-Class or higher price ranges.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because the target market's highest priority when purchasing a car is virtue signaling - more important than functionality or quality.  When EVs can deliver things like an economy-car MSRP and accessible rapid charging, then they'll reach a larger market that isn't concerned with looks.

Example:  Someone down the street from me recently purchased a pre-owned Tesla model S.  Parked it in their driveway with a regular 110v 15a extension cord running out the back door to it.    Maybe it's just temporary while they're waiting for a charging station to be installed?  Maybe they have a charging station in the parking garage at work?  No... it lasted about 3 weeks, and then there was a Prius in their driveway instead.  They bought the car without thinking about how to charge it, because EVs run on hopes and dreams.

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That would be a parts and design. Nightmare.  honda has done well to limit power train options In the past. Lately things have gotten more complicated. For example in an accord you have two turbo engine options, one hybrid option.  A cvt, a 10speed, I’m. I can’t even remember seeing a manual in one off the top of my head.  Adding in an electric power train would cause more complexity.

The bigger point is that I doubt you will ever see this car for sale in the us. Honda as publicly said that they do not feel the battery tech is there for all electric cars in Their price range.  They have decided to focus their energy on hybrids.

Once the new crvs hit dealers there will be a hybrid crv, accord, clarity, and  Insight.

On a smart as note Honda doesn’t make a 5 speed anything anymore.
View Quote
Better idea: Gas-Electric (Think railway locomotive, not POS Prius) all the things. Electric motors on 2/4 corners, eliminate transmissions and drivelines entirely. Small surge/starting battery for your basic Gas-Electric model, bigger battery for hybrid/plug in hybrid model, and replace the ICE with a battery on the full EV model.

Bonus points if they add an inverter that will let you use your car as a backup generator for your house.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cars for the peasants while elites roll in uparmored Tahoes & 'burbs.

Zero doubt CR and IIHS will splooge over its economy and safety*

*vs a fixed object rather than a normal vehicle
View Quote
@Merrell

CR is one thing, but the IIHS is probably the best automotive safety testing and standards body in the world.

They aren’t a government agency. They are funded by insurance companies in an effort to reduce insurance claims. It’s quite literally capitalism working to help reduce injuries and fatalities.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I doubt if they do make it it will ever come to the United States, it's just too small, Americans WILL NOT buy small anymore.

And the nation is worse because of it.

I do not welcome our CUV overlords.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Tesla, Porsche, Ford, and others are going down that road, but at some point, you have to market EVs to people who aren’t in the Mercedes E-Class or higher price ranges.
View Quote
Kia and Hyundai are trying

By the end of the decade we are going to have eleven EV models in our lineup
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because I already talked about this months ago
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because for a lot of people, a large amount of the appeal of electric car is the virtue signaling.  "Look at me!  See how enviro-conscious I am because I drive an electric?!"

For those folks, why drive an electric car if NO ONE can even tell you are driving one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(snip)

Soon enough, there will be two choices in the EU. EV or public transit. Which of the two would you choose?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Soon enough, there will be two choices in the EU. EV or public transit. Which of the two would you choose?
View Quote
Tank. I could invade me some Norway and declare myself Lord of the Fjords after I knock down some power lines and they can't charge their magical unicorn fartmobiles.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I had '74 and '77 Civics.
Tough little buggers, you pretty much can't break them.
The CVCC combustion chamber was a brilliant idea. I'm surprised that it hasn't been revisited.
We always claimed that they were bigger on the inside than on the outside.
The only downside was that if you hit anything bigger than a dog, you lose.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tank. I could invade me some Norway and declare myself Lord of the Fjords after I knock down some power lines and they can't charge their magical unicorn fartmobiles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's an electric tank though, right?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]
137 miles range, IIRC. I've watched a couple videos on it.

NOT coming to the US.

It's marketed as a city/urban car. NOT as a "drive 87MPH on the freeway halfway across the US because you decided to live 300 miles from the place you work and drive to and from every day like a fucking idiot".

The side 'mirrors' being cameras needs to happen in the US. AFAIK, DOT says NOPE to that, still.

Were I to live in a European city and had little need to drive great distances, it might be a nice little daily driver. Shit, even here at home if money were no concern, having something like that would do for 95% of my driving.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#38]
At least it won't be killing deer on the highway.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At least it won't be killing deer on the highway.
View Quote
Yeah. A 3000lb+ car doing 65MPH is easy for the average deer to shrug off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Coal powered...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I like it.

I can't wait for all interior dash display setups look like this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Reminds me of the Yugo

Also, the the electronics interior package looks cool along with the side view camera/mirrors.   We be good on a car that you lease instead of buy so you don't have to pay for repairs 10 years later.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Coal powered...
View Quote
Electricity comes from coal. There's literally NO other way to make electricity. Literally.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#45]
With a fully built high revving B18 please.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top