Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/11/2024 7:43:05 PM EDT
2 pistols with different dots and my brain can not find the dot with ease.  I’ve watched multiple videos on it and nothing clicks when actually shooting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Dry fire practice will build muscle memory
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Practice your presentation a few hundred time before shooting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the same problem instructor told me, spend one afternoon with just your red dot gun and you will get it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn’t.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Two nights. Then I ahot my first red dot skunk. It’s been game on ever since.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Practice and lots of it. I actually tried a dot twice. Once around 2016 or so. And didn't get into it. I could find the dot but I was also getting my front sight. At the time I had a meh, just use my front sight mentality.

I tried again a few year ago and saw the light. I was never anti dot, but it took twice to see the benefits.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried putting a piece of blue tape over the dot to force your brain to focus on the target?  It helps me to stop focusing on the dot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MHowski] [#8]
You see this video?

People dont understand red dots

Also

Following up on Red Dots and lack of understanding
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Practice draws and dry firing - several hundred repetitions until I felt I was near iron sights speed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#11]
Presentation and dry fire practice.
Was cake on my M&P with SCS, as i could use factory height sights so no change in presentation.

Took a little more presentation practice on the 365XL
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alacop:
View Quote

This plus shoot the gun
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bushyvmtr] [#13]
How are you guys sighting your guns in with red dots? Shooting off a rest or just shooting like you would normally shoot and making adjustments? Are you finding the dots are mostly on from the box?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bushyvmtr:
How are you guys sighting your guns in with red dots? Shooting off a rest or just shooting like you would normally shoot and making adjustments? Are you finding the dots are mostly on from the box?
View Quote

Shoot off a rest like you would with a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Focusing on the target was the hardest thing for me.  

Dry training and the Glock 3 day red dot pistol instructor class helped me to
make the transition.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Shoot off a rest like you would with a rifle.
View Quote

This and no, adjustments are needed
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#18]
I usually shoot my mossberg shockwave with a red dot, so finding the red dot on a pistol was a lot easier. Especially since the front sight usually cowitnesses with the Optic. Hard to explain.

For sighting in you can brace yourself against a table, wall, or well use a brace.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a C2 with a RMR, and took a RDS class. 10min of dry fire every night before bed. Bought a P with an ACRO. More classes, more dry fire. Started on this train last summer and feel pretty proficient at this point. Lots more to go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I just shoot 2 handed like usual. I’ve tried using a rest but my groups are about the same.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine have been fairly close.  I shoot off the rest and then stand and shoot like normal and adjust as needed.  

I stood in the bedroom and focus on the light switch and did approximately 1000 draws to get it right.  You should be able to draw and present your pistol with your eyes closed and open them and be on the dot when you have it down.  I did all of this before firing a single shot with the red dot.  Don't be in a hurry on you presentation practice.  Nice slow methodical 5 point draw and presentation will get you where you start to become comfortable.  Remember years of front sight focus is not going to change over to target focus in one or two range sessions.  Good luck
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn’t. I have never used them and none of my pistols have them.
I use these weird things called sights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaniB] [#23]
Thought I'd gravitate to it instantly like I did the Eotechs on my rifles. Nope. I've spent decades sighting in my iron sights and will just stick with that.  Irons are easier to conceal on my hip as well, so why retrain what already comes naturally?. Like cartridge choice,  no real wrong or right here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Painters tape early and often.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Practice.

This question was brought up at a shooting class. The answer was practice. Just like you practices iron sight acquisition, it's no different with a new sight like an RDS.

I practiced slow; about a 2 second draw pace. And I didn't always practice a full draw; just from the point where your hands meet. By no means am I a 1/2 second bullseye shooter, but I can find the dot pretty repeatedly.

One thing I've observed is that people who have years of shooting iron sights take 2-3x as long to adapt to the RDS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
View Quote

Iron sights are notoriously unreliable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Practice your presentation a million times before going to the range
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By d__j__b:
View Quote

This.  And I just did it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

I love iron sights for the simplicity but I haven't seen a clear front sight post in over a decade.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Both eyes open, bring the gun up to your line of sight, when we switched to G47 with dot I drew a few hundred times to get used to it. We switched from Gen4 G22’s.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By d__j__b:
View Quote

This. Repetition plain and simple.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Only problem I had with finding the dot is with an RMR. All others are no issue.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Take a class with heavy holster work. Your draw and presentation were always trash, the dot just exposed it.

I know this from experience

A “quick hack” is to forget about the dot and shoot it iron sights. Your brain knows where the front sight is so you subconsciously fix everything when you point the pistol at the target. The dot will appear.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]
If I repeat dry fire and practice again it will mimic how much you should be dry firing and practicing, so I’ll do that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Look I can’t stop picking on the Chief’s mess if I keep seeing posts like this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Went to a training class.

Find the front sight.
View Quote

Eh, I guess that is an initial method of perfecting presentation. If you are seeing the front sight, you aren’t actually target focused. You should get to the point where you aren’t optically aware of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

This. It may take some time but it’ll click. The lightbulb moment will happen.

Note: you might just become aware of how much alignment your brain does automatically, so be prepared to make some adjustments.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Worked for me.  Well, that and the fact that I started with the PA 507C ACSS with the yuge circle that gives instant feedback if you don't see the chevron.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Practice. Then practice a lot more. Then practice even more.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Pistol Red Dot - Acquiring the Dot - Modern Samurai
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Never have used one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#43]
The first 2 times I went to the range with a red dot pistol, I didn't really see the benefit and was way slower staring at the dot like it was a front sight post.

The third time my brain finally clicked and said to use it like a red dot on a rifle and keep a target focus. It was like the heavens parted, rays shone down and angels sang. It was truly an epiphany for me.

Now any gun I carry will have a red dot
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By r3dot:
2 pistols with different dots and my brain can not find the dot with ease.  I’ve watched multiple videos on it and nothing clicks when actually shooting.
View Quote

Dry fire until the dot is centered on target as you present.

The problem with dots is there is no problem, they just reveal faults with technique.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ll never understand the “can’t find the dot” thing. Can you find the front sight?

“If you can find the front sight, you can find the dot.”

Patches O’Houlehan
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#46]
1. Learn to actually shoot with irons.
2. Reacquire irons
3. ???
4. *Oh shit, there's the dot* Profit
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
I’ll never understand the “can’t find the dot” thing. Can you find the front sight?

“If you can find the front sight, you can find the dot.”

Patches O’Houlehan
View Quote

The "can't find the dot" folks are people who don't realize that their presentation isn't as good as they think it is. It's a lot easier to see the front site when it's off-center and adjust, even when they don't realize that's what they're doing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I noticed that I held the gun low initially, like I was trying to shoot a rifle that has a high scope. Just the thing being on the gun threw me for a loop mentally until I got back into the "old" rhythm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Dry fire. Snap drills. Repetition.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:42:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#50]
I'll also add that if you have bad presentation it's about to get exposed bigly. You can still
manage a bad presentation with irons as the vast majority point shoot or nearly point shoot anyway. Plus if you are a little off of good alignment you still have massive field of view with irons. With dots, that isn't the case. If you present and you're off a bit. You are hosed.

Repetition and dialing in your presentation are huge. The only time I've felt lucky that I am cross eye dominant was this. I don't move the pistol, I move my head and I realized with a dot I have a memory index due to that. I've always anchored my right jaw line to my right bicep to compensate for the cross eye dominance. With that, my presentation is on every single time. No going fishing.

I went to a dot class based on Sig Academy's class last summer and most people bad habits screwed them. Mediocre shooters think a dot is going to help them, it is far from the truth. It's about to get worse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top