Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2024 7:38:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15]
I'm debating a friend (who posts on this very forum) on the phone, and he uses the term "Loser" a lot more loosely than I do.

I hesitate to call anyone a loser who is wealthier than me, or more powerful than me. By my reasoning, "Loser vs Winner" is a worldly measure that mostly pertains to someone's ability to build up cash; to succeed materially OR Professionally.

For example, would you call someone like George Soros a loser? Jeffrey Epstein, while he was alive? The Rockefellers? The Rothschilds? The Pelosis?
These people are evil. You can say a million negative things about them, but I wouldn't call them "loser".

My friend defines "Winners/Losers" almost exclusively through a very niche Christian perspective. And from that perspective, I 100% agree that those people are losers. That they will all burn in hell for being satanic globalists and degenerate.
He defines "Winners/Losers" based on whether someone has good ethics, is hard working, has a functional family, etc... and insists "Money isn't everything". Its a more "holistic" definition... but I dont think its the more popularly used definition.

I agree that "Money isn't everything" but I do feel that when it comes to the common usage of the term... no matter how degenerate, no matter what terrible vices someone might have,... if they're indisputably professionally and materially successful... none of that really determines whether they're a loser or not. That a wealthy, professionally successful man... would never be considered a "loser" by anyone, no matter how much of a reprobate they are in other areas of life. They might have other negative words to describe them, but loser wouldn't be one of them.

My friend, for example, has said that he thinks I'm far more of a winner than those people... and perhaps from a Christian perspective,... he might be right. I hope he's right. But I feel that the vast majority of people on earth, would see me as far more of a loser than any of these degens. I'm not talking even strictly what liberals might think, but even Conservatives. I think even most Conservatives would agree that I'm far more of a loser than Paul Pelosi, or Epstein, or the Rorthschilds... because the context in which "Loser" is usually used, its almost exclusively professional/materialistic.

Am I right in my perception of how most people use the term? Or is my friend right? Because he insists that even Non-Christians would agree with his more "holistic" definitions of Winner/Loser. I think the more shallow definition of such terms, is more typical of how most people use them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Butane in my veins and I'm out to cut the junkie
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
With the plastic eyeballs, spray-paint the vegetables
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Dog food skulls with the beefcake pantyhose
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Midyew5959] [#5]
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
People who are not me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Stock car flaming with the loser in the cruise control
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Baby's in Reno with the vitamin D

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freddd] [#9]
Got a couple of couches. Sleep on the love seat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone came in sayin' I'm insane to complain
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody that spells loser as looser os a loser.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I’d agree with your friend.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody that can sleep easy and love life is a winner in my book. What you describe has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#14]
I dunno, but here in GD you are required to spell it "looser."
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I define a person to be a loser when they have repeatedly pissed away every opportunity (some of which have been handed to them for free) to better themselves: financially, educationally, spiritually, etc. and Flat out refuse to become a better person than the dregs of humanity that they are.

A person can be a winner and still be cash poor and so on, they have worked on themselves to become a better human being.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#16]
Drug addicts, the trailer park crowd, Hollywood elites, and political elites. Whether or not they have money or contribute anything to society does not factor into the equation.

Success and money doesn't necessarily = a winner, and lack of success and lack of money doesn't necessarily = a loser.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys know who you are, and I love you. (No homo.)

We made it 9 or ten lines.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

View Quote
Yea the rest of the guys were too much of a loser to continue the trend. Losers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Someone came in sayin' I'm insane to complain
View Quote

About a shotgun wedding and a stain on my shirt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:
With the plastic eyeballs, spray-paint the vegetables
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#21]
You can't write if you can't relate
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a very judgmental person, but I try very hard to keep it to myself. That being said I'll promise you I judge myself much more harshly than others.
Winner and loser are rarely an absolute.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Yea the rest of the guys were too much of a loser to continue the trend. Losers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

I'll ruin the end.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By trlrdrdave:
Anybody that spells loser as looser os a loser.
View Quote
os?

You made a typo. Does that make you a loser?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
I'm a very judgmental person, but I try very hard to keep it to myself. That being said I'll promise you I judge myself much more harshly than others.
Winner and loser are rarely an absolute.
View Quote
I feel I'm a loser in a lot of ways. Sometimes when I really think deep about myself, I really do have a lot of self loathing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
Drug addicts, the trailer park crowd, Hollywood elites, and political elites. Whether or not they have money or contribute anything to society does not factor into the equation.

Success and money doesn't necessarily = a winner, and lack of success and lack of money doesn't necessarily = a loser.
View Quote

Exactly.

If someone neglected their family to be successful in their career and get rich, but his family falls apart and hiskids did not turn out too be good moral productive people and instead degenerates, lazy, or drug addicts then I don't think that person is more of a winner then an ordinary hourly worker that raised a good family. In fact I'd say that hourly worker is quite a bit more of a winner.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#28]
I got one. How about a dad with a drug addict wife that has sufficient reason to believe his kid has violent thoughts and might worship prior school shooters and buying him an AR15.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:

I hesitate to call anyone a loser who is wealthier than me, or more powerful than me. By my reasoning, "Loser vs Winner" is a worldly measure that mostly pertains to someone's ability to build up cash; to succeed materially OR Professionally.

View Quote

Those are pretty superficial measures of success and common to those under 40.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
People who vote democrat
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are an adult who is working for minimum wage or at McDonald's etc you are a loser. You screwed up somewhere along the way in your life. He made poor decisions when you were young or you had addiction problems etc. If you dropped out of school and it wasn't to take up a valuable trade, you were a loser. If you're on the government dole, you are a loser. If you can't afford the retire and you're still working into your '70s, not by choice, you're a loser
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ztug:
If you are an adult who is working for minimum wage or at McDonald's etc you are a loser. You screwed up somewhere along the way in your life. He made poor decisions when you were young or you had addiction problems etc. If you dropped out of school and it wasn't to take up a valuable trade, you were a loser. If you're on the government dole, you are a loser. If you can't afford the retire and you're still working into your '70s, not by choice, you're a loser
View Quote

That's a pretty shallow way to see things and painting with a pretty broad brush in a lot of ways.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

Exactly.

If someone neglected their family to be successful in their career and get rich, but his family falls apart and hiskids did not turn out too be good moral productive people and instead degenerates, lazy, or drug addicts then I don't think that person is more of a winner then an ordinary hourly worker that raised a good family. In fact I'd say that hourly worker is quite a bit more of a winner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

Exactly.

Right on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top