BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So drones are aircraft now and fall under full regulation of the FAA? I'

Good, they need a phone book sized stack of regulations and operators should have pilots licenses and be required to file flight plans.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
should go high enough to allow property owner to shoot down drones flying above

Shooting at aircraft should be considered a terrorist act.

So drones are aircraft now and fall under full regulation of the FAA? I'

Good, they need a phone book sized stack of regulations and operators should have pilots licenses and be required to file flight plans.

I don't have to file a flight plan to fly. I fly under class B all the time without ever talking to anyone.

However, besides manned CONTROL flight where currently legal I think 50 feet above manned structures should be restricted unless the drone operator has written permission from the owner.

If these passenger carrying drones ever become wide spread (I feel it's a flop like when everyone was freaking out about the VLJ and air taxi in the early 2000's) I feel they need to be 500 feet away and when not in forward flight need to be directly over roads.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No. Is it any worse than being woken up by some asshole mowing his yard? Or a street crew working on repaving the street? Or a garbage truck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I take it you have never been woken up at 6am on your day off by some asshole in a crop duster repeatedly buzzing your house.

No. Is it any worse than being woken up by some asshole mowing his yard? Or a street crew working on repaving the street? Or a garbage truck?

Or police sirens at 3am?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Plenty of my trees are taller than that, who owns the canopy and can I sue them if it falls on my house?

I like the "Infinity and beyond" idea, that way I would own a million acres somewhere in space if it was far enough away.
View Quote
How does that work out with the earth spinning at over 700mph, your batch of space changes ownership all the time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Or police sirens at 3am?
View Quote

I'm assuming OP is asking the question in relationship to drones, the police or street department or garbage trucks don't really have a choice on where they go and when.....some random guy with his toy does.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry, but you are the one that is wrong.
I worked in the communication tower design/installation/maintenance industry for over 20 years and I assure you per the FAA any tower 200' or taller AGL must have a beacon light on it.
View Quote

Yes. But that doesn't mean that 200' AGL is controlled air space.

Controlled airspace is Class A, B, C, D and E. Class G airspace is uncontrolled and extends to either 700' AGL or 1,200' AGL.

The FAA permits licensed and unlicensed drone operations up to 400' AGL, or up to 400' above above the top of a tower when operating within 400' laterally of that tower.

Additionally, the FAA allows certified commercial drone operations within class B-C airspace through the LAANC system which notifies the local ATC of your operational area and gives you a maximum height you are allowed to operate at.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, but you are the one that is wrong.
I worked in the communication tower design/installation/maintenance industry for over 20 years and I assure you per the FAA any tower 200' or taller AGL must have a beacon light on it.

Yes it does.
If they are telling you that any tower 200' or above must have a beacon, then they are controlling the space 200' or above.
Unless you want to do wordplay and call it "regulating" instead of "controlling."
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you have lakefront property, how much of the lake do you own?
View Quote

Around here, none. They are ACOE lakes and they actually own an easement up into your property. I actually had a property owner tell me while I was walking the lake when it wayyy down a few years ago...to stay off his property. Like, when the lake goes down, his property line moves. I ignored him.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes it does.
If they are telling you that any tower 200' or above must have a beacon, then they are controlling the space 200' or above.
Unless you want to do wordplay and call it "regulating" instead of "controlling."
View Quote

That's not how the FAA defines controlled vs. uncontrolled airspace.

Just because a 200' tall tower or other structure has a beacon light on it, doesn't meant that that area is in controlled airspace. There are lots of towers and structures located in Class G airspace. Class G is defined by the FAA as uncontrolled airspace (it falls outside Class A, B, C, D, or E airspace up to either 700' AGL or 1,200' AGL) and is outside the areas where ATC has authority or responsibility to control the air traffic.

Most of the land in the United States falls under Class G airspace.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Class G airspace is uncontrolled and extends to either 700' AGL or 1,200' AGL depending on it's location to a Class B-E airspace cone.
View Quote

Glad you can recite the basic dimensions taught to the student pilot. It gets more complex than that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Those aren’t FAA minimums, and there are a lot of other issues that go into that.
View Quote

Close enough for general aviation VFR, assuming there's no tall obstacles in the area.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Can someone cantilever a building above your property line?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just because a 200' tall tower or other structure has a beacon light on it, doesn't meant that that area is in controlled airspace. There are lots of towers and structures located in Class G airspace. Class G is defined by the FAA as uncontrolled airspace (it falls outside Class A, B, C, D, or E airspace up to either 700' AGL or 1,200' AGL) and is outside the areas where ATC has authority or responsibility to control the air traffic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it does.

Then the FAA is contradicting themselves. They are defining 200' as uncontrolled,  while at the same time they are enforcing control over it.
That does sound like the typical government agency though.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have lakefront property, how much of the lake do you own?
View Quote

In my case, none.  I have access rights though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Infinitely. That way, somewhere in the universe, you own your own planet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Then the FAA is contradicting themselves. They are defining 200' as uncontrolled,  while at the same time they are enforcing control over it.
View Quote

They are only enforcing control over the structure itself in order to help prevent pilots from running into that structure during night time flight in uncontrolled airspace.

200' AGL is not a definition for any flight level out side of an airport approach path.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To the vacuum of space.

Government would love that. You get taxed for all of that extra space, then air travel gets an easement over your property, just like the roads.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can someone cantilever a building above your property line?
View Quote

How about a zip line across their backyard....as long as you don't touch the ground your legal
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
87 feet
View Quote
TPNI
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
500' AGL and below is uncontrolled airspace.
View Quote

Yeah, no.

You need to read up on airspace classes.

FAA 107 here.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you buy the air rights to your property when you purchased your property?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not really certain,  however, last week when a helicopter hovered directly over my property for about 15 minutes I was certain there wasn't much I could do without landing in a bunch of hot water.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I own a sliver all the way down to the center of the earth.  It is just a dot by the time it gets there.  Based on that, I own a huge chunk of outer space.
View Quote

But the chunk in outer space is constantly rotating and changing...
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

200 ft. airspace restriction in my area due to low flying military aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm assuming OP is asking the question in relationship to drones, the police or street department or garbage trucks don't really have a choice on where they go and when.....some random guy with his toy does.
View Quote

“Toy”

Lol. The ignorance shows
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They are only enforcing control over the structure itself in order to help prevent pilots from running into that structure during night time flight in uncontrolled airspace.

200' AGL is not a definition for any flight level out side of an airport approach path.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I know the reasons why they do it, but, I don't see how calling it uncontrolled while at the same time exerting control over a structure extending into it is not a contradiction.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I take it you have never been woken up at 6am on your day off by some asshole in a crop duster repeatedly buzzing your house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting at aircraft should be considered a terrorist act.

You would be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Your toy drone is surely equal to piloted helicopters and commercial airplanes....do you wear a flight suit when you "pilot" it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I shoot down piloted helicopters? How about commercial airplanes?

Your toy drone is surely equal to piloted helicopters and commercial airplanes....do you wear a flight suit when you "pilot" it?
It's not a toy in his opinion.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
To the highest physical structure on your property

Or maybe highest tree.

I could see arguments for both

In before a drone hating thread
View Quote

50' above the highest structure or tree in your county.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Can I park a blimp above my neighbor's house? Tie a line to my chimney and let it float downwind?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

“Toy”

Lol. The ignorance shows
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Toy”

Lol. The ignorance shows

The vast majority of drones are toys that have no legitimate reason to be flying around someones property....toy isn't necessarily a negative term (obviously you find offensive lol)....I have plenty of guns that I consider range toys, I have no use for them other than having fun on the range.

So....keep your toy on your property.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No it isn’t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it isn’t.

Is it 50' AGL?

Can't remember, ground school was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is it 50' AGL?

View Quote

700' AGL or 1,200' AGL depending on it's proximity to controlled airspace.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it 50' AGL?

Been awhile

Looks like mostly 1200'
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

How wishful
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#35]
You can own it as high as you want, but you have to pay to fence it all in, plus jump through all the legal hoops, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The vast majority of drones are toys that have no legitimate reason to be flying around someones property....toy isn't necessarily a negative term (obviously you find offensive lol)....I have plenty of guns that I consider range toys, I have no use for them other than having fun on the range.

So....keep your toy on your property.
View Quote

You don’t own that air above your property. So let’s consider it public and can be used for many reasons

On the same way, many public roads out By me lead to nowhere. Many people have no other “legitimate” reason to be on them other than going on a random drive in the country, can we keep those people off the roads too?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Drones flying/spying is an invasion of personal space. Period. Sorry your drone fun is in jeopardy.
Property lines go to infinity. However, FAA ruling come in to muddy the water. In 1940 the altitude was defined as 85 feet.
Who Owns The Air Above Your Property
+500' is "Navigable" air space. Plenty of muddy water to slosh through.
YMMV
If you are having problems, maybe you should address it in other avenues than a forum.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#38]
It will be whatever Amazon and Google need it to be when they start doing drones all over
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I consider it ALL of my airspace!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You don’t own that air above your property. So let’s consider it public and can be used for many reasons

On the same way, many public roads out By me lead to nowhere. Many people have no other “legitimate” reason to be on them other than going on a random drive in the country, can we keep those people off the roads too?
View Quote

Sounds great....I assume you don't mind if the neighbors on either side of you decide to put a zip line or shooting range across your backyard right?  I mean by your logic, as long as they don't touch the ground it's all good.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider your drone?  You got pissy about me calling it a toy....what is it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sounds great....I assume you don't mind if the neighbors on either side of you decide to put a zip line or shooting range across your backyard right?  I mean by your logic, as long as they don't touch the ground it's all good.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider your drone?  You got pissy about me calling it a toy....what is it?
View Quote

If you see my earlier post in here, my opinion was your property line should go to either the top of your tallest structure or tree. Maybe make it whichever is the tallest of those two and that’s what your property line goes to.

If you want to shoot or zip line only higher than my tallest trees, ok then.

Fly the drone above that then good to go. Go below that and it’s not ok. That would be a compromise for all the drone haters.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Zoning can tell you...they probably have a restriction on how high you can build..........
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you see my earlier post in here, my opinion was your property line should go to either the top of your tallest structure or tree. Maybe make it whichever is the tallest of those two and that’s what your property line goes to.

If you want to shoot or zip line only higher than my tallest trees, ok then.

View Quote

lol

So what is your drone if it's not a toy, is it a tool, vaginal emotional support vehicle, bird racer....what do you consider your drone?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol

So what is your drone if it's not a toy, is it a tool, vaginal emotional support vehicle, bird racer....what do you consider your drone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol

An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) (or uncrewed aerial vehicle, commonly known as a drone) is an aircraft without a human pilot on board and a type of unmanned vehicle.

Or for the simple minds, it’s a tool for tasks
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

lol

View Quote

I consider mine a tool.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#46]
All I know is my dog barks at anything in his airspace
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#47]
To infinity and beyond.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or for the simple minds, it’s a tool for tasks
View Quote

You gave a definition, I asked what it was for you.....what tasks do you complete with this tool?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I consider mine a tool.
View Quote

That's cool.....for the record I have no issue with drones, but I think you should either keep them over your property or ask for permission to fuck around other peoples property....just like you would (should) for doing anything else.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Sonny Rhodes The Ballad of Serenity with Lyrics (Firefly Opening Theme Song)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top