Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw a small Atlantic sturgeon, 3' or so, with a rubber band around and THRU its tail.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I still cut them up when I see them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How many bugs do you murder ever time you walk down the sidewalk? How many die on your windshield when you drive to the store to buy food produced by farmers who kill insects by the billions and ranchers that kill cattle by the millions?

Or are those animals not cute enough to be valued by you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sometimes i think humanity really is headed down the path it deserves. can't be bothered to spend 5 seconds to do something that could months or even years of torment for a creature who did nothing but swim into a pile of your trash.

How many bugs do you murder ever time you walk down the sidewalk? How many die on your windshield when you drive to the store to buy food produced by farmers who kill insects by the billions and ranchers that kill cattle by the millions?

Or are those animals not cute enough to be valued by you?
Denis Leary - No Cure For Cancer - Animal Auditions: Cute Vs Food

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I was at my mom's house a couple weeks ago when I took the last coke and then started breaking the loops. She started laughing and said she does the same thing. We had a whole conversation and a good laugh about those old commercials and how affective they were.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You OK mate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talk about a psy-op.

You OK mate?

yes psy-ops are imaginary
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Don’t be an asshole, don’t litter.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I cut them. Easy and if it does any good then great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP hates turtles.
View Quote

They make decent soup.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I grew up as a commercial fisherman on the east coast.

I've seen plenty of seagulls and other marine life trapped in those things..

The gulls never let you get close enough to help, but I tried to many times.

I always thought that it was sad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Why is garbage ending up in the ocean?

That’s the real issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
All of them I see now are perforated so they tear apart easier, not sure if they're all like that. They still come on beers and gatorades.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I've worked at a landfill. Gulls, other birds and critters get into the trash and carry things all over creation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Any trash I don't burn ends up in a landfill.

There's no fucking sea creatures living in a hole in the ground in western Pennsylvania that I'm aware of.

Fuck that hippie bullshit. Trash shouldn't be in the goddamned oceans anyway. I mean, who's fucking fault is THAT?

Speed
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I blame the poors.  Who the fuck buys 6 packs of anything?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Never cut up your trash traps!

Fuck the raccoon!
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why is garbage ending up in the ocean?

That’s the real issue.
View Quote

I always assumed it was people littering, not from our trash
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Following the food pyramid gave me the beetus.

Just kidding, but holymole look it up some time.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
You have not had an exciting day until you try and take one of those things off a pelican.

I think fishing line kills more birds than 6-pack holders.   I pick up all that I come across.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is New York still hauling it's trash off shore on barges?  

Or hauling along sea lanes to dump in a landfill in a different state?
View Quote

No they put it on rail cars and send it up to Niagara Falls to burn it at the convanta plant, they should burn it on the streets of NYC instead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

sometimes i think humanity really is headed down the path it deserves. can't be bothered to spend 5 seconds to do something that could months or even years of torment for a creature who did nothing but swim into a pile of your trash.
View Quote

So all garbage gets thrown in the ocean? Didn’t know that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So all garbage gets thrown in the ocean? Didn't know that.
View Quote

I'm more concerned about the notion that trash disposal operations, which are very often contracted by local governments, are now considering the responsibility of regular citizens?

WTF is that? I've never been invited to an operations meeting for my local dump

I burn what I can; I do my part

Seriously though, I assume the people I pay to haul my trash away aren't letting it fall into the ocean...I don't have any control over that, and as such, it's pretty hard to feel guilty about anything negative done with my trash

Where did this BS guilt shit even come from?
Was it those goddamned hyperbolic Weekly Readers from school in the 80's?

Speed
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm more concerned about the notion that trash disposal operations, which are very often contracted by local governments, are now considering the responsibility of regular citizens?

WTF is that?

Seriously though, I assume the people I pay to haul my trash away aren't letting it fall into the ocean...I don't have any control over that, and as such, it's pretty hard to feel guilty about anything negative stuff done with my trash

Was it those goddamned hyperbolic Weekly Readers from the school on the 80's?

Speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So all garbage gets thrown in the ocean? Didn't know that.

WTF is that?

Seriously though, I assume the people I pay to haul my trash away aren't letting it fall into the ocean...I don't have any control over that, and as such, it's pretty hard to feel guilty about anything negative stuff done with my trash

Was it those goddamned hyperbolic Weekly Readers from the school on the 80's?

Speed

I just throw everything in the recycle container. Around here they make convicts sort through it so I get to feel morally superior and keep criminals elbow deep in trash.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does your garbage pickup dump your trash into an ocean? Mine does not. It goes into a landfill that doesn't have marine life swimming in it. Your post is the exact point the OP was making.

I thought cities on the coasts dump their trash in the ocean? (I could be wrong)

You’ve never seen garbage barges? They have to be ‘x’ amount of miles off the coast and they can dump garbage
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Deleted several responses that would get me banned from this sensitive place. Glad the OP is so enlightened.
Even our somewhat small lake has had problems in the past. I have caught fish on the down hill that swallowed a pull tab. Unwound and cut plenty of line from animals. Probably to no avail, but I tried.
It happens.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

More and more of your true colors shine through with every post
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More and more of your true colors shine through with every post

However in this case he is pretty much correct.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I cut mine up in pieces
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just throw everything in the recycle container. Around here they make convicts sort through it so I get to feel morally superior and keep criminals elbow deep in trash.
View Quote

I did not know that.
When I was a FedEx driver, I routinely threw my piss bottles into the recycle bin because I wanted to look good on camera and assumed it was a profit losing, bullshit government subsidized industry and would just be in a landfill anyway.

The fact that some recycling operations use legal prison slave labor (as excluded in the 14th amendment) makes me kinda giggle that some hood rat had to dump out my dark, nasty, whiskey piss all the time

Speed

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
are they even on the market these days?  I don't remember the last time I saw one.
View Quote

Sure, 6 pack of the 16.9oz bottles, and a variety of the power/Gatorade beverages.  Plastic wrapped plastic, for double the pollution fun.

I say melt 'em all, let god sort them out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I always cut them up. Just in case.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Meanwhile, in the 3rd World the river is in charge of recycling:

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is a marine rescue near my place in florida.  They get sea turtles stuck in those.  I always cut them before throwing them away.
View Quote

True, but as OP said, they were probably thrown on the beach.  Not thrown in the trash.  Not too many sea turtles crawl thru sanitary landfills or recycling centers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Our trash used to be incinerated, now it's 100% landfill. Why cut them up if you know your waste will not reach the sea unless a massive geologic event occurs?

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I did not know that.
When I was a FedEx driver, I routinely threw my piss bottles into the recycle bin because I wanted to look good on camera and assumed it was a profit losing, bullshit government subsidized industry and would just be in a landfill anyway.

The fact that some recycling operations use legal prison slave labor (as excluded in the 14th amendment) makes me kinda giggle that some hood rat had to dump out my dark, nasty, whiskey piss all the time

Speed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know that.

Speed

I'm sure they're used to it.  Probably all ex Fedex drivers anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I remember seeing it as a kid and everyone saying you have to cut up the rings before putting them in the trash so you won't kill the animals.

Talk about a psy-op.  The chances of that ever happening have to be about zero but yet I've always cut them up without even giving it a thought.

Today I thought about it and realized how stupid it is. And how effective the media can be. It really opened my eyes and allowed me to understand those around us that are completely brainwashed.

Anybody else remember those videos on the news as a kid?  I remember teachers went on about it too. My wife, who grew up 4 hours away from my had the same experience and has always cut them up too.

I've talked to others about it and they still cut them up as well.

Pretty eye opening
View Quote

Most will argue it’s a minor inconvenience for you and a major inconvenience or death sentence for an animal that can’t pull it off it’s head. There are better hills to die on than this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#39]
We would break them so it stayed in a line. Attached to a stick. Held it over a fire and watched it "zit-zoot"..... good times
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I remember that, but I don’t think I’ve seen a the old style plastic six pack yoke in years.

They’re all in cardboard boxes or the plastic snap on lid six pack yoke these days.
View Quote

This.  I can’t recall the last time I actually saw one of them.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I cut two of them today.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I cut them up and I will continue to cut them up.
View Quote

This.

I am about as far from an envroweenie as it gets but I abhor litter and wanton destruction of nature for no good reason.
Where I grew up our trash was loaded on barges and dumped offshore so I could see the 6 pack thing being an issue.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Still cut them up.

Shit, I still shake milk.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There is a marine rescue near my place in florida.  They get sea turtles stuck in those.  I always cut them before throwing them away.
View Quote

Quoted:
I remember that, but I don’t think I’ve seen a the old style plastic six pack yoke in years.

They’re all in cardboard boxes or the plastic snap on lid six pack yoke these days.
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
1970s.

I still cut those things up. Cut some up today.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Not an enviro guy. I always cut mine up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why is my trash, that I am paying to dispose of, going to end up in the ocean? I can think of a million other things I throw away that wouldn't be great for animals to play with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#48]
i save them up and once a month use an old tire to start a fire and burn them up

you're welcome mother earth
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I remember the commercials and yes, I still cut up the plastic thingies. It only takes a few seconds. Maybe it is a waste of time, but it's worth it if you're the critter that gets its neck stuck.
View Quote

My attitude as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#50]
A Public Service Announcement inspired by this thread:
Save The Turtles | Robot Chicken | Adult Swim
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top