BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
However much they cost.

For day hikes, boots are really the only thing you absolutely need to get right.

They last me years so the difference of $100 or so doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't need expensive shoes to hike...
just a healthy body.
View Quote
I do because my feet suck and I develop Plantar fasciitis easily.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Agreed, price is not a factor in choosing a good pair of shoes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fit, comfort, and function.

I don’t look at the price.

Rucking ain’t easy

Agreed, price is not a factor in choosing a good pair of shoes.

I'll spend as much as it takes.  If I happen to find good fitting, comfortable shoe/boot on a good sale I'll snap them up even if I don't need them right this minute.  They'll get used soon enough.  I usually have one or two pairs waiting in the box for me to need them.  Right now my favorites are a pair of Vasque hiking boots that I got on sale.  The only downside is that they're a little warm for the summer months.  I also have a pair of Technicas.  They were $275, and the worst I ever got ripped off for hiking boots.  They're comfortable, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the build quality.  I wouldn't give $50 for another pair of them.  Every once in a while you'll get burned even with expensive shoes.

I used to buy cheap shoes, then I'd have to buy cheap shoes again six months later when they fell apart.  Now that I'm spending more per pair I probably spend less on shoes overall since they actually last, the Technicas being the sole exception to that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
For day hikes.. trail runners!  I like getting the more basic ones that dont use a lot of the lighter weight and thinner materials... so along with that sometimes comes a much lower price, 70-100 range.

As for backpacking.. I get what fits my foot best, and that usually hits in the 150-200 range starting.  I am also a bigger dude so when i throw a pack on I often exceed the weight limits of most "light weight" hiking boots, so I end up going with mid to heavy duty hiking boots.

Currently rocking some Solomons.  But my all time favorite boots were Dunham Waffle Stompers!  but they got out of the hiking boot buisness.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With weight on your back, no? I'm in need of boots that don't cause blisters on the tips of my pointer toes and will check those^ out...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
200 some on some Saloman quest 4s that have been perfection.

Several hundred miles on them at this point with no issues.

With weight on your back, no? I'm in need of boots that don't cause blisters on the tips of my pointer toes and will check those^ out...

Yep. They're what I've worn at warfighter each year.

Before you buy the size I highly recommend you go try em on WITH the socks you plan on hiking with or they can be a bit tight.

I've popped off a lot of toe nails because my socks were too thick and rubbed up against the edge.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Merrell is the most comfor9and durable hiking shoe I've ever owned.  I just paid $125 for a pair at academy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I day hike a lot, like at least once a week for a few miles. $150-200 is good for boots that will last a couple years. I believe in a don’t ask don’t tell policy for actual backpacking boots as I believe there is value in comfort over weight and my pack is heavy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The Salomon shoes I normally wear cost $130 new.
However Steep and Cheap occasionally has them for $67 and I buy 2 or 3 pairs when that happens.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Merrell is the most comfor9and durable hiking shoe I've ever owned.  I just paid $125 for a pair at academy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I get whatever decent trail runner is on sale at Sierra trading post.
I'm good with solomon, la sportiva or even Columbia.

I walk the tread off in 6 months or less regardless of sole type. I walk at least 6 miles a day and more on the weekends. I did 20 last saturday.
I like softer rubber anyways, it sticks better when rock scrambling.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
La Sportiva TX4s are the only hiking shoes I use anymore.

Retail @ $160. I often get them on sale for ~$100.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I have access to both Adidas and Columbia employee stores so generally under $100 but I have to buy two pairs anyway for my fucked up feet so it ends up being $150 or so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
$125ish last time I bought some. Oboz. Wearing a pair right now actually, best hiking shoes I’ve ever had. I liked them so much I bought a pair of mid-height boots. When these eventually wear out I’ll buy more after that. They’re just that good.

Their footbeds are great. I actually bought some separately to rescue a pair of Keens that weren’t fitting me well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Husband can spend over $300.  I got a pair of Merrells on clearance for $50.  It was after marketing to the morbidly obese women so maybe they had a surplus.  

I generally prefer sneakers for hiking but I don’t do anything super strenuous.  Husband talked me into getting some boots for better support on uneven surfaces- He was right, it definitely makes it easier on my feet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Before you buy the size I highly recommend you go try em on WITH the socks you plan on hiking with or they can be a bit tight.

I've popped off a lot of toe nails because my socks were too thick and rubbed up against the edge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
200 some on some Saloman quest 4s that have been perfection.

Several hundred miles on them at this point with no issues.

Remember to size up .5-1 size as your feet swell when you hike.. I size up a full size.  It is actually best to find a boot fitter at a hiking shop, they take more than just lenght and width into consideration.  There is volume, arch, pronation, and supination and different boots/shoes work better for those differences.

A good footbed is also key imho.  I like superfeet blues, but there are a few other good ones out there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a pair of Salomon GTX 4 boots on clearance from LA Police Gear for like $125.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's dry my $50-$80 sale Altra's are nice for walking trails but they have zero support. If I'm off trail and/or carrying a heavy pack, or it's snow covered or wet, I switch to my heavier duty Hanwag boots. They are more of a taller mountain boot but I can wear them all day and be comfortable. Those were north of $300 though. My Asolo's blew up after 10 years. No complaints but I've heard the newer boots will not last that long.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tried a bunch and have settled in on Oboz recently.

Add in some good sales at a few places and they are a good shoe for the money. REI will want 180 and up for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oboz work really well for me, so between $120 and $150.

Tried a bunch and have settled in on Oboz recently.

Add in some good sales at a few places and they are a good shoe for the money. REI will want 180 and up for them.

@UV18

Bro Tip: Try on the pair you want (any brand, this is a magic trick I discovered a couple years ago) at the store. Then, get on their used website and hit up the used section. Select “Excellent Condition” and search for the boot/item you tried on at the store. You can save a bunch this way.

Edit: I did this myself. The boots I got seriously look like they were worn around the store, home for a minute, then returned. They were like new. I wiped the inside out with some alcohol on a paper towel just in case, and they’ve served me well ever since.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I exclusively hike in Salomon’s gortex and regular depending where i’am in the world.

Army boots I’ve wore the same type for close to a decade. Garmont T8 bifida.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I seem to get my footwear for around $100 depending on the application.

My current hiking boots are going to be replaced soon.  They've started to wear smooth on the front.  I will likely replace them next summer.
View Quote

That application part is HUGE.   I caught a really good sale on some waterproof REI hiking boots at something like $60.    On the flip side, I found a smoking deal on some motorcycle boots at only $350!  Sadly, the sizing changed and 44EU was a little small and I really needed a 45EU
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#22]
$150-$200.

Between hiking, rucking and trail running I try to buy a shoe/boot that does two of the three without causing issues for my ankles. It’s not hard to fuck your foot up in the mountains, and I’ll pay money to reduce the risk of that happening.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]
My favorite hiking boots (danner mountain lights) are the ultimate hipster boot and run $350+.  I got lucky on my current pair and got them barely used on ebay for $100.  I dont spend much on clothing in general but ill pay $300+ on good hiking or work boots.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL, they are comfortable. But I go through a pair every 6 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, they are comfortable. But I go through a pair every 6 months.

I stopped using Merrill because they just don’t last.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Keen Targhee series shoes do it for me.  Usually between $100-$150 depending on which one you get and what sales are looking like.
View Quote

I wore a pair today because they are water proof-ish. Despite literally only wearing them to drive to ski areas the stitching is blowing out. Made in America might be a good thing if it wasn't tweakerville Portlandia.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I can only afford flip flops for day hikes.
View Quote

When I was at Arches my favorite short hike was in flipflops. Broke out to bare foot in sand arch area and enjoyed the beach like terrain.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm eager to try a pair, as they would meet 87% of my need if they fit me right. I have a pair of their Mtn boots that meet my need well at that end of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm eager to try a pair, as they would meet 87% of my need if they fit me right. I have a pair of their Mtn boots that meet my need well at that end of the spectrum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are one of the wider euro approach shoes, and they are still narrow.  If you have any type of wide feet, they probably won't work.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Merrell I can understand, Salomon suprises me.

What kind of failure did you see?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I quit buying Merrell/Solomon/etc. after destroying several pairs on single week-long backpacking trips or hunting trips.

Most of the modern synthetics are trash. There are outliers but they're in the $400 range.

Merrell I can understand, Salomon suprises me.

What kind of failure did you see?

Merrells had catastrophic malfunctions... Seams blowing out and the like. I actually destroyed a pair of Merrell "work boots" in a single day. They replaced them under warranty and I destroyed the replacement in the same way but it took a couple weeks.

Salomons were less irritating. Just had sole delaminations and early liner failure on them. Really nice when you're out with a pair of nearly new boots and you feel that cold trickle of water soaking your socks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They are one of the wider euro approach shoes, and they are still narrow.  If you have any type of wide feet, they probably won't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad panda. my forefoot is wide, and the rest is normal.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I dont know how people hike in cheap shoes. I got gore tex hunting boots in the early 90s for turkey hunting in spring. I wear goretex shoes almost all the time. Ecco leather boots for office, gore tex.  Salomon almost all other times. Wear them to office 90 percent of the time.  I have some keen and some great ahnu that they quit making for men. All gore tex.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I dont know how people hike in cheap shoes. I got gore tex hunting boots in the early 90s for turkey hunting in spring. I wear goretex shoes almost all the time. Ecco leather boots for office, gore tex.  Salomon almost all other times. Wear them to office 90 percent of the time.  I have some keen and some great ahnu that they quit making for men. All gore tex.
View Quote

Why would you want ALL goretex?  Especially for summer time day hikes on trails, it makes no sense to have goretex.  Or warm weather river crossing hikes.

I think if people actually bought a whole bunch of different shoes and went on day hikes, 99% would choose a trail runner.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#34]
It's hard to take a pair of hikers seriously if they are less than a hundred bucks.  I'm in need of some new ones and it's been several years, so I'm going to expect to pay $150-200.

Bought my wife a pair of Oboz a few years ago.  She loves them.  I think they were $150 at the time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have wide feet and they fit fine. I wear EEE/EEEE cowboy boots depending on the fit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
nothing sucks more than going on a hike and getting your feet torn up. It really sucks when it happens at the furthest distance from the trailhead.

do not go cheap on hiking shoes.
View Quote
Also, replace them when they are worn out.  I'm still paying for my last hike in October.  We did 11.5 mile fast hike from North Cottonwood Creek to Bear Lake.  Tread is almost gone and the footbed is packed out.  Could still feel my dogs barkin' a couple months later.  I should have bought new last year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have wide feet and they fit fine. I wear EEE/EEEE cowboy boots depending on the fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's crazy, I'm an  E and the TX4's start cutting circulation very quickly in to a hike, within under 5 miles.  No matter what lace technique.  They are now shelved with wide vasque Juxt's ...that aren't exactly wide.

SARS, try them on first and do a bit of walking in them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For day hikes.. trail runners!  I like getting the more basic ones that dont use a lot of the lighter weight and thinner materials... so along with that sometimes comes a much lower price, 70-100 range.

As for backpacking.. I get what fits my foot best, and that usually hits in the 150-200 range starting.  I am also a bigger dude so when i throw a pack on I often exceed the weight limits of most "light weight" hiking boots, so I end up going with mid to heavy duty hiking boots.

Currently rocking some Solomons.  But my all time favorite boots were Dunham Waffle Stompers!  but they got out of the hiking boot buisness.
View Quote
I still have my old school black Raichle waffle-stompers.  I don't use them for hiking much.  They are great for talus and scrambles and that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's crazy, I'm an  E and the TX4's start cutting circulation very quickly in to a hike, within under 5 miles.  No matter what lace technique.  They are now shelved with wide Vasquez's...that aren't exactly wide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's crazy, I'm an  E and the TX4's start cutting circulation very quickly in to a hike, within under 5 miles.  No matter what lace technique.  They are now shelved with wide Vasquez's...that aren't exactly wide.

Crazy, wonder if it's the cut of the last maybe? I wear a lot of Sportiva stuff, though - Miuras and TC Pros for climbing, TX4s for approaches and hiking, Nepal for most ice climbing and winter stuff. Their lasts seem to fit my feet well.

Even on long days (20+ miles) I'm fine without feeling circulation cut off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Crazy, wonder if it's the cut of the last maybe? I wear a lot of Sportiva stuff, though - Miuras and TC Pros for climbing, TX4s for approaches and hiking, Nepal for most ice climbing and winter stuff. Their lasts seem to fit my feet well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The toe box is wider on them, he is saying that he has wide mid feet, as do I.  Maybe you just have a wide front area.  None of the La Sportivas were comfortable for me, and I really wanted to like the Mutants too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Asolo Fugitive GTX - still made in Italy. First pair lasted me ~15 years and were absolutely worth it. I got a second pair to replace them and they now cost $300 (paid $175 for my first pair in 2007 at REI).
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Salomon lite hiking shoe, what were $100-125 are now $150+.

As for a hiking boot I'm on my second pair of LL Bean Cresta's, what where $200 12-13 years ago are now $300...

Hking
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I’ve been wearing Merrell Moabs as my primary everyday shoe and hiking shoe for the past 9 years or so.

I prefer midlength for hiking and low tops for day to day. They’ve worn very well and I get good life out of them. Shop for deals and you can snag them for less than $100 easily, even the waterproof versions.

I recently snagged a couple pairs of the 5.11 Moab knockoff (Ranger 2.0) during their Black Friday sales, for $20 I figured I’d give them a try.

So far I’ve been impressed, very comfy out of the box. We’ll see how they hold up to some lighter weight rucks, but I could very easily wear these over Moabs for just an everyday shoe. Nice wide toe box makes them comfy when kneeling for long periods of time. They also come with an insole insert that stiffens up the footbed when carrying a pack.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#45]
125 ro 150 is the seet spot for hiking trail runners. Just got some hoka speed goats for around there.

Back when I didn't know wtf I was doing I bought some ridiculously expensive Italian sounding boots, big old fucking mountain boots. They've sat in my closet unused for years.

Trail running shoes are what 95% of hikers should be buying. I would only wear boots hiking through garbage, which I fucking hate and never do anyway.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top