Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you find yourself in danger of a shark attack -- immediately place yourself in the middle of a large city.
View Quote

Especially if it's a white shark.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I avoid them by not going to the ocean. In return, sharks stay off my mountain.
View Quote

When the sharks came & ate the people in the ocean - well I wasn't in the ocean so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the coast - well I wasn't at the coast so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the river - well I wasn't at the river so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the lake - well I wasn't at the lake so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the mountain streams - well there wasn't anyone else left to care about me

Except those bastards living in the desert - and those frick'en sharks will show up in their oasis wells soon enough...  
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Stay out of the water ?
View Quote

It wouldn’t take long before you start to stink.
Or you could use that deodorant advertised by that fat blonde bitch.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:. Stay out of the water ?
View Quote

Won’t help.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess if the shark is coming head on.  I've read touching the shark's head makes them stop.  But you seen all those videos of sharks coming from under and jumping up with the seal in the mouth?  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpOiYssXEAALITF?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Good luck trying to touch that head.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThatValidAuklet-size_restricted.gif

"Some days, the snoot boops you..."
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:. I’ve dove with sharks on quite a few occasions, the big thing is be aware of your surroundings.
Great Whites are curious, they might take a bite because they confuse you with prey like a seal or your thrashing which will kick in their prey instincts.
I’ve dove in seal rookeries at night around Great Whites, you can generally fend them off IF you see them coming, yeah not one of my smarter decisions, but it was a heck of a dive.
Bull and Tigers are just assholes, you find yourself in their territory get the heck out, they don’t back down, can’t be intimidated, and will attack without provocation.
Makos are the real mother lovers, they’re fast, aggressive, and once they lock onto you as prey just like Bulls and Tigers your only option is to get out of the water.

She’s really not wrong, but it’s better to have a stand-off device like a spear pole or even better a bang stick for those sharks that just won’t take the hint.
And yes, Great Whites can and will back off if you don’t antagonize, but just prod.
In her case the GW wasn’t displaying signs of aggression like arched back or stiffened pectoral fins, it just was just curious as to what she was.
View Quote

A lot of great white sharks in Arizona, huh?
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don’t go in the ocean.  Problem solved.
View Quote

Explain this map.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I guess if the shark is coming head on.  I've read touching the shark's head makes them stop.  But you seen all those videos of sharks coming from under and jumping up with the seal in the mouth?  

View Quote

It’s kinda like telling you to have one of those little emergency car kit hammers in case you need to the break the window glass from inside to get out.

Sure, in the right circumstances it might work.

But it’s not even moving the needle in lowering your odds of being able to save your life in car wreck because that type of situation is so rare.

Most shark attacks are misidentification/murky water scenarios where the person never sees it coming, correct?
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Especially if it's a white shark.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stay out of the water ?
View Quote

This

and

Get a bigger boat.  Flower Class corvette miminum but Iowa class best class.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Bull Sharks have been caught as far north as St Louis. Sharks can and do swim in freshwater and brackish water.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#14]
did a couple of shark dives in bahamas, it was cool, wasnt scared but one time it was dusk in cozumel and I could see one shadowing us that was a little scary.  glad to get out of water that time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#15]
No sharks in Lubbock.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When the sharks came & ate the people in the ocean - well I wasn't in the ocean so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the coast - well I wasn't at the coast so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the river - well I wasn't at the river so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the lake - well I wasn't at the lake so I didn't care.

When the sharks came & ate the people at the mountain streams - well there wasn't anyone else left to care about me

Except those bastards living in the desert - and those frick'en sharks will show up in their oasis wells soon enough...  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry a knife in the ocean

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stay out of the water ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
GD’s bigger threat is shart attacks.
View Quote

That fuckin doctor said NOTHING about anal seepage and stress incontinence with the bowels.....

Don't put that shit on us, all I wanted was acceptable triglycerides and bacon every morning.

Is that so hard?

Now I have to pinch when I sneeze or cough, I haven't been to a comedy club in years...

And with all the science, they can't make a diaper that holds the smell?  How can one little squirt of shit smell so bad?

They put something in the pills, I'm telling you!!

...I'd rather have the bacon and a clogged artery.

Getting old ain't for pussies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Noice!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Sure would be more exciting than any of the rides at Disney.

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit.  Seals/sea lions are not small. While that's not an elephant seal it's treating like a fidget spinner, it's large enough to show that's a really damned big fish.  And we used to boogie board and bodysurf in its main playground....
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’ve dove with sharks on quite a few occasions, the big thing is be aware of your surroundings.

Bull and Tigers are just assholes, you find yourself in their territory get the heck out, they don’t back down, can’t be intimidated, and will attack without provocation.
View Quote

Genuinely curious what you think happened to the Louisiana guy that jumped off the Black Beards Revenge boat in Nassau?  I’ve read that they have a lot of Tiger Sharks in the area of the island he went missing near.  We were out on a glass bottom boat excursion that very next morning and knew nothing about the incident at the time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I was once told by an old timer of a very effective way to detect wether there are sharks nearby.

He always said you could take a spoon and scoop up a spoonful of the water, making sure that it’s clean and free of anything else. Once you get a spoonful of the clean water, you take a sip. If it’s salty, there’s sharks nearby.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Never get out of the boat never get out of the boat I got to remember:  never get out of the boat."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/572713/mqdefault_jpg-2874311.JPG

View Quote
Boat isn't safe either.

Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Never get out of the boat.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#28]
We have very few shark attacks here in KS.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#29]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I dove the USS Spiegel Grove Monday.  It has 6 reef sharks swimming in it. Theyvwere not aggressive.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Can't believe the irrational fear grown men give to something that statistically will never happen to them.  Shit it's very likely it's 1000X times more dangerous driving to the beach to get into the water.

Spent many hours free diving Norcal waters which are a breeding ground for Great White's. Didn't even give it a second thought going into the water. Life's to short to worry about stupid shit
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#32]
FINS TO THE LEFT!     FINS TO THE RIGHT!
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can't believe the irrational fear grown men give to something that statistically will never happen to them.  Shit it's very likely it's 1000X times more dangerous driving to the beach to get into the water.

Spent many hours free diving Norcal waters which are a breeding ground for Great White's. Didn't even give it a second thought going into the water. Life's to short to worry about stupid shit
View Quote

I wonder if that guy in Egypt was worried about shark attack.

He probably wasn’t…until he was.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wonder if that guy in Egypt was worried about shark attack.

He probably wasn’t…until he was.
View Quote

He did not get better.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Never get out of the boat doesn't just apply to tigers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps it's a long-developed evolutionary signal that our brains are giving us when we're in environments where our eyes don't see well?  Much like when we're in deep forests in low light and we get that spidey sense that we don't belong there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Stay out of the water ?
View Quote

What now, smart guy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As a kid I surfed at "Monster Hole" next to Sebastian Inlet enough to know when the mullet start jumping for their lives.. pick up your feet.  
View Quote

Funny you should say that. When I was in high school me and a buddy were a couple hundred yards out past the breakers next to the jetty and inlet at West End 2 at Jones Beach NY. At some point way out in the distance my buddy pointed out school of feeding blue fish and all of the bunker and other bait fish jumping out of the water.

After a minute or two we realized the school was heading in our direction, and to our horror the feeding frenzy approached as and my buddy (who knew what was going on, I was still a bit clueless) said to grab my feet and pull them up close to my chest and we had bait fish jumping over us and we were getting bumped and slapped by fish under the surface until it moved past us

>>> I told that story for years about how scared I was of the bluefish when one day an old salt I was surfcasting with replied that he wouldn’t have been worried about the bluefish nearly as much as he’d fear what feeds on them as the area is a nursery ground for young great whites
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you find yourself in danger of a shark attack -- immediately place yourself in the middle of a large city.
View Quote

The Mississippi River flows through several large cities. Bull sharks(the no. 1 attack species) have been caught in the Mississippi as far north as Illinois.

Your plan is not a guarantee.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Stay out of the water ?
View Quote

Once you enter the ocean you are nothing but bait. Saw that posted here by someone. I do not swim in ocean period and some freshwater lakes here in Florida because of gators
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Stay out of the water ?
View Quote

But what about  Land Sharks???
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Amazing how as I got older I worry much less about death, but more about the manner of dying. I developed a big phobia about being in large bodies of water where unseen ugly creatures may lurk. Just the thought of lowering myself over the side of a small boat on a lazy Sunday afternoon for a recreational scuba swim (as many people do) freaks me the hell out!!
View Quote

Well put and exactly how I feel. Younger me didn't care or think much about things like that. But the older I got sometimes thinking about what I use to do make me cringe.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
LOL that is a recipe for failure                       https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_9313_jpeg-2874314.JPG                                       https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_9312_jpeg-2874315.JPG
View Quote

https://dai.ly/x5xi02k
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I've never been attacked by a shark. I've also never gone in the ocean. Seems pretty self explanatory to me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Perhaps it's a long-developed evolutionary signal that our brains are giving us when we're in environments where our eyes don't see well?  Much like when we're in deep forests in low light and we get that spidey sense that we don't belong there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my divemasters/ instructors taught us exactly that- that if you’re in the water and feel like you’re being watched, you probably are!

One of the very few times I’ve ever felt that was while riding waves (bodysurfing) at Seal Beach in SoCal. Where, btw, there aren’t (or at least weren’t) any seals. It didn’t take long for me to figure out why lol
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#48]
"If you see a shark Hooper, swallow!"
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThatValidAuklet-size_restricted.gif

That guy needs a new wetsuit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Man that's crazy. There was also 5 shark bites/attacks this 4th in NY WTF is going on
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top